Laremy Tunsil and Ole Miss had an Awful, Awful Draft Night

@jasonmcintyre

@jasonmcintyre

@jasonmcintyre

It all began before the draft began.  A video tweeted from Laremy Tunsil’s account show the Ole Miss offensive lineman smoking weed from a gasmask bong.

If you thought that was bad, we’re just getting started.

The left tackle was perceived as the best pound-for-pound athlete in the draft.  If there wasn’t a need for quarterbacks, he’d be the first overall pick.  Instead, he dropped to the Dolphins at #13.  Tunsil thought the social media nightmare was over, but it was just getting started.  Instagram messages between Tunsil and John Miller, an assistant A.D. and manager of Football Operations at Ole Miss, were released.  They do not bode well for Hugh Freeze’s football program.

Then Tunsil went to the podium for a post-draft press conference.  Unbelievably, he dodged ZERO questions.  He was so truthful about the situation that he had to be run off stage by unknown media relations personnel.  Before he was away from the mic, Tunsil confirmed that he received money from an Ole Miss football coach.

Tunsil sat out seven games this season for receiving impermissible benefits, but I think it’s safe to say that the fury from Pandora’s Box has been unleashed on an Ole Miss program that is already under NCAA investigation.

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

24 Comments for Laremy Tunsil and Ole Miss had an Awful, Awful Draft Night

1. WeareBBN
    1:02 am April 29, 2016 Permalink

Advice to Ole Miss-change the name of your program to UNC-Oxford and you will be fine with the NCAA.

• WillySpankit
      7:54 am April 29, 2016 Permalink

I don’t know if their women’s basketball team will survive though.

2. justafish2002
    1:07 am April 29, 2016 Permalink

You need to see the statement his agent put out: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ChLIIvLW4AAbqiz.jpg:large

• VulcanEar
      3:45 am April 29, 2016 Permalink

Excellent, Smithers! Release the hounds!

• therealmcb
      11:05 am April 29, 2016 Permalink

That’s a fake statement by the way. A co-worker of mine owns a website and they released that as a joke.

3. Angelo
    1:09 am April 29, 2016 Permalink

Well this stinks!

4. kyrupp8
    5:34 am April 29, 2016 Permalink

I don’t smoke but I know its likely less damaging to the body than alcohol. I also have no problem with the kid getting help paying his mom’s bills. I’m happy they helped her out. The fact the kid was honest about it all is amazing. Good for him.

• Lexingtonton
      8:25 am April 29, 2016 Permalink

Do you have a problem with a $300 light bill? Hotels do not even have that…. Your vote for Bernie is going to go real far

• WatchutalkinboutWillis
      8:39 am April 29, 2016 Permalink

I agree that a $300 light bill is absurd and probably a lie.

• nybrasky
      9:33 am April 29, 2016 Permalink

But it includes water too, haha.

In fairness, the “light bill” is likely the electricity bill. If moms was running the air conditioner all day, a $300 bill is not out of the question. Still, it’s irresponsible. But that’s what happens when you don’t have to pay your own bills.

5. Catlogic15
    7:04 am April 29, 2016 Permalink

Hysterical.

6. CatManDo
    7:13 am April 29, 2016 Permalink

My favorite part of this is him calling it a light bill. I thought it was just us Eastern Kentucky people who call it that.

7. BluKudzu
    7:23 am April 29, 2016 Permalink

So I suppose the weed and bong mask, along with legal fees for assault, kind of ran him short on rent money and his mothers utility bill. Praise Jesus he found God. Nothing like a born again Christian making it through life, getting a huge payday, throwing everyone under the bus, besides his mother, that helped him along the way. Don’t get me wrong, plenty of blame 1080 degrees on this one, but a “me first” mentality at LT, in The NFL, is not cool. Surprised he went as “high” as he did.
    Losing 7 million is nothing compared to what his team and teammates could lose.
    Wish the best for this troubled young man, but he has a lot of growing up to do, very fast.
    Unless Ole Miss pulls an ACC “get out of jail free card” the AD and coaches are all gone.

• WatchutalkinboutWillis
      8:11 am April 29, 2016 Permalink

Not sure if you are referencing something else, but the only thing I saw about finding God was in that link that another commenter posted. That was fake. It was just a joke.

8. za
    8:07 am April 29, 2016 Permalink

most bizarre thing I’ve ever seen on draft day. I would like to know what teams actually passed on him. I guess the team that took the first tackle. Little sad about his mom’s light bill though

9. serdi
    8:11 am April 29, 2016 Permalink

Until the NCAA decided to let the biggest cheaters off the hook because they did not have a provision to rule, the NCAA never needed evidence or provisions to make decisions to hammer schools.

The cheaters free wheels program…the drug hang out of ole Roy’s rental house….Tunsil has done nothing that should raise any eyebrows.

Any school that the NCAA goes after, I would hope will tell them to get screwed.

Immature on Tunsil’s part…negative to Ole Miss? Yes. Against the NCAA rules….What rules.

10. nmichave
    8:42 am April 29, 2016 Permalink

I’m sure he’ll still make more in one day than I will all year. Don’t feel too sorry for him. As for Ole Miss, I never was a Hugh Freeze fan.

11. Lexingtonton
    8:45 am April 29, 2016 Permalink

The funny thing is this happens AT EVERY SCHOOL and always will

• Larry Pratt
      11:28 am April 29, 2016 Permalink

Thats what fans of cheating programs always say.

12. Mc12
    9:12 am April 29, 2016 Permalink

Hopefully for Ole Miss, they gave $ to non-athletes so it wasn’t just athletes getting the impermissible benefits. Just like Louisville. Hopefully there were traditional students banging hookers and enjoying these stripper parties.
    It worked for UNC. Maybe that same argument can fly with them.

13. Loother
    3:47 pm April 29, 2016 Permalink

He’s now reaping what he sowed…

14. W.C.
    7:58 pm April 29, 2016 Permalink

He could pay a sizable light bill with the ear rings and necklace.