Lane Kiffin out at USC

kiffin

USC fans can rejoice this morning as Lane Kiffin has finally been shown the door.  I don’t generally root for people to fail.  Lane Kiffin is an exception to that rule for me. Very few people appear to be as unlikable as he is and he, along with A-Rod, are on my short list of people I don’t mind watching tank.

There is one SEC school that I believe should find this news particularly troubling.  I would think that James Franklin at Vanderbilt would be among the first coaches contacted by USC while they search for Kiffin’s replacement. Franklin’s entertaining coaching style would fit the fast-paced, flashy program that Southern California needs to have to remain relevant in a city full of distractions.  Say what you will about Kiffin’s coaching (he sucked), but the guy could recruit and they are only a year removed from having a team many considered to be the favorite to win a championship.  USC could be an attractive situation to James Franklin with lower academic standards (though not by much), a team that is not in need of much rebuilding, and gig coaching in one of the most famous cities in the world. I think Franklin will be getting a call soon.

Article written by Matt Wheatley

28 Comments for Lane Kiffin out at USC

1. cracka
    11:09 am September 29, 2013 Permalink

the chip kelly experiment is going to be 1-3 after losing in denver today … he’ll be shipped back to college during or after this year and usc can grab him … that could be a good fit

2. UKNation
    11:10 am September 29, 2013 Permalink

Bet Tennessee fans are lovin it!

3. Chris
    11:13 am September 29, 2013 Permalink

1. Chip Kelly has show cause penalty from NCAA. They probably won’t let him back in for several years.

4. Brian
    11:23 am September 29, 2013 Permalink

I wouldn’t be shocked if USC gives Charlie Strong a look. Strong’s stock will be sky high as he is set to lead UL to an undefeated season and a return to another BCS bowl. UL will not be as good next year and will be moving to a tougher conference. Strong is a defensive guy and I believe USC will look for a defensive guy after their teams have been gashed for more than 50 plus points several times during the Kiffin era. Some would say that Strong is set at UL, but remember he would have taken the Tennessee job last year had the Tennessee AD not completely botched the search. I have no idea if Pat Haden will even give Strong a look, but USC is the type of job Strong would leave for, regardless of what UL offers.

5. Bluemister
    11:24 am September 29, 2013 Permalink

He can now get his dream job of double for Tosh.O.

6. Fudge
    11:35 am September 29, 2013 Permalink

USC is a great school, but they have no standards for athletes. Just the minimum NCAA requirements.

7. ralph
    11:44 am September 29, 2013 Permalink

joker phillips replaces kiffen. mark it down

8. skid
    11:58 am September 29, 2013 Permalink

Bobby Petrino should be the guy for USC….at least UK fan should hope so. Maybe then Kentucky could once again be the second best football team in the state.

9. skid
    12:03 pm September 29, 2013 Permalink

Blah, Blah Blah….And Furthermore…Blah!

10. MacGruber
    12:15 pm September 29, 2013 Permalink

Petrino would be perfect for USC. He is an excellent coach and a so so recruiter. USC can recruit itself. He would have them in title game in 2-3 years.

11. Lipset
    12:43 pm September 29, 2013 Permalink

Uk fans would be screaming to give Kiffen a couple more years if he were here at UK. He just needs time to build the program up

12. CatGrad7072
    12:49 pm September 29, 2013 Permalink

# 11: Well, he is 3-2. That calls for a contract extension. : )

13. Doctor T
    12:58 pm September 29, 2013 Permalink

This guy is a complete douche… He knocked up a friend of mines girlfriend before he left Knoxville …
    Never cared or offered to care for the child either

14. Prestotheclown
    1:01 pm September 29, 2013 Permalink

USC will not go after Strong, and no way he would go if they offered. It’s all wishful thinking from Blue Bellies.

15. SevenT
    1:23 pm September 29, 2013 Permalink

It is nearly impossible to find a bigger dirtbag than Lane Kiffin. I hope he one day can learn his lesson and grow up to be a man.

16. Buffalo Bob
    1:27 pm September 29, 2013 Permalink

It will not be Charlie Strong. His recruiting base is in the Florida. He would never be able to recruit kids all the way across the country. Even Texas would be a stretch for him.

17. UK56Always
    1:46 pm September 29, 2013 Permalink

I could care less if Charlie Strong stays or goes. I would love for him to get the UK ass whoopin he has coming, As far as him going to USC …it won’t happen. The “red bellies” wil come up with enough cah to keep him around. They just have to order less Crown Royal for the players.

18. Rob Schrader
    2:07 pm September 29, 2013 Permalink

As a student at USC, Kiffin had to go. He was simply awful. As for whom USC should hire next, I’m thinking 1) Charlie Strong, 2) Dabo Swinney or if we can pull one of them, 3) Steve Spurrier/Les Miles. James Franklin would be a horrible hire. I’m sorry but USC should be one of the top five jobs in the country and Franklin, while a good coach, is not ready for USC.

19. gottodoit
    2:15 pm September 29, 2013 Permalink

It won’t be Charlie Strong. USC plays one or two ranked teams during their season. That would be too big an adjustment for the Louisville coach.

20. UKBlue
    2:17 pm September 29, 2013 Permalink

When it comes to sports in LA, there are only 2 things people really care about: Lakers & USC. Charlie Strong won’t be a candidate for this job for many reasons, but especially because no one can understand him. UL fans needs to except reality: Charlie will end up somewhere else & UL or their alum don’t have anywhere close to as much money as you think. Charlie already shook the idiots at UL down for way more money then what he’s worth. If a school & it’s alumni like Texas, USC, Florida, FSU, Bama, LSU, Oklahoma, ND: money is no object. Those alumni wipe with the kind of money UL can put out.

21. BigBrother
    3:02 pm September 29, 2013 Permalink

I could honestly care less who USC hires whether that be Strong or anyone else… What I want to know is does this mean we can have Tee Martin back? The guy was a good recruiter and high school kids seemed to like him. Maybe he could join up and help out on the recruiting trail? Or maybe we just don’t fix what isn’t broke with UK football recruiting right now? I don’t know, I just know I like Tee Martin.

22. Hal
    4:55 pm September 29, 2013 Permalink

mike gundy. kevin sumlin, gary patterson, charlie strong, dano swinney or nfl

23. C. Allen
    7:27 pm September 29, 2013 Permalink

I hope Petrino get the job because he is deserving of the same fate as Kiffin . . . . . put him on my short list of people I don’t mind watching tank.

24. BlueTruth
    7:45 pm September 29, 2013 Permalink

Lane Kiffin is such a piece of Sh!t. I guess all of the USC football team got tired of running trains on his wife so they asked him to leave.

Mac Brown gets fired –> Muschamp goes to Texas –> Strong goes back to Florida –> Kiffin comes to Louisville, because Louisville has to standard for morality, namely, because they are pieces of sh!t too.

25. Frank Stalone
    8:54 pm September 29, 2013 Permalink

#21: My thoughts exactly. Can you imagine Tee Martin teamed up with Vince Marrow along with the buzz surrounding Mark Stoops on the recruiting trail? I just hope there’s someone on the current staff who knows what Martin was getting done at UK before getting the call to go to USC.

26. Buckets
    9:24 pm September 29, 2013 Permalink

Something tells me that James Franklin wouldn’t make the list of candidates if the list was 25 coaches deep. Really, James Franklin? At USC? Hahahaha

27. bpetrino
    10:40 pm September 29, 2013 Permalink

That loud roar I hear coming up from the south is a half million Tennessee fans laughing their butts off that Kiffin has been canned! And why does anybody think I would leave WKU for USC? Oh, about 5 million reasons why.

28. Scotty
    10:26 am September 30, 2013 Permalink

I have heard and this is the truth. (my friend sells real-estate in Columbia S.C. and Spurrier has called for a listing agent on his and his sons home) Steve Spurrier is taking the job for 3 years with a contract that his son is given 3 years guaranteed as head coach once he retires. S.C. is glad to let him go as well after the 3 point win over UCF