Kyrie Irving believes Earth is flat and he is completely serious

You know what one year at Duke gets you?

Belief that the Earth is flat, at least in the case of Kyrie Irving.

In a recent podcast appearance with Richard Jefferson and Channing Frye, Irving said, “This is not even a conspiracy theory… the earth is flat.”

“What I’ve been taught is that the earth is round,” he continued. “But if you really think about it from a landscape of the way we travel, the way we move and the fact that, can you really think of us rotating around the sun and all planets aligned, rotating in specific dates, being perpendicular with what’s going on with these planets.”

Irving also said everything NASA tells us is a lie.

“It’s right in front of our faces,” he said. “I’m telling you, it’s right in front of our faces. They lie to us.”

Now, when should we worry about Irving’s mental health?

Article written by Drew Franklin

81 Comments for Kyrie Irving believes Earth is flat and he is completely serious

1. DrinknByTheBay
    10:13 pm February 17, 2017 Permalink

I actually find this subject quite fascinating. I believe most people just assume what they learned in third grade to be accurate. I’m not saying it’s not, but I doubt most people could accurately and intelligently defend an argument against a flat earth. Basically, most people just were told what to believe in at an early age, and now quickly discard others thoughts or believes without really knowing anything on the subject.

I say this merely as a fly on the wall without trying to persuade thought one way or the other. It’s just interesting how the brain works and this is a pretty good example.

• Chuck Norris
      10:33 pm February 17, 2017 Permalink

Uh, no. It’s an example of people being absolute morons. How you can believe this nonsense in 20 freakin’ 17 is beyond me. You know, they do teach facts in school like 2 + 2 = 4, or do you think mathematics is just something “the man” wants you to believe too?

• Mathlete
      10:34 pm February 17, 2017 Permalink

All flat surfaces eventually have an edge. If the Earth is flat, where’s the edge? You can take a plane from any point to any other point in any direction without going around any edges.

There, an intelligent defense of a round Earth that’s both incontrovertible and understandable from the perspective of someone who’s dumb enough to believe it’s flat.

• playmorezeppelin
      10:52 pm February 17, 2017 Permalink

I guess you’ve never been to the beach

• trey
      10:56 pm February 17, 2017 Permalink

Mathlete- the edge is Antarctica. It is comparable to a pizza crust, creating a ring around the earth.

• 4everblue
      5:17 am February 18, 2017 Permalink

I agree with DrinknByTheBay, the majority believes everything we read, were taught in school, see in mainstream media, without doing any research on our on because we have been indoctrinated from birth to trust the government. Footage can be found of balloons carrying a camera to high altitude and no curvature can be seen. The curve can however be faked using a fisheye lens. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zi56bNqTa5Q

• Mathlete
      7:13 am February 18, 2017 Permalink

If the only edge of the Earth is at the poles, how can you go east/west infinitely? Are you saying the Earth is can shaped?

As for the curvature of the Earth – watch Felix Baumgartner’s jump from basically low Earth orbit to see it clear as day and obviously not from a fisheye lens

• Mathlete
      7:32 am February 18, 2017 Permalink

It’s good to be skeptical of what you’ve been taught, but in doing so you can’t just ignore every piece of evidence that contradicts you or claim it’s all fake. That’s a recipe for believing incredibly stupid things like flat planets or homeopathy

• UK Big Bored Update
      8:20 am February 18, 2017 Permalink

• keiths
      9:57 am February 18, 2017 Permalink

Jesus, some of you people are as stupid as he is

• Ricky
      10:30 am February 18, 2017 Permalink

The US, Russia, and China have all taken pictures of the earth from space. Were suppose to believe that all 3 countries conspired to lie to the world and everyone from all 3 countries that work/worked in the space programs went along with this? No one wrote a tell all book? No death bed confession?

It’s no wonder debate gets nowhere anymore, we live in the same country but not the same reality.

• UK Big Bored Update
      1:56 pm February 18, 2017 Permalink

If earth were flat, it would not be a planet –
      In a solar sytem full of more flat planets.

The Earth is a planet, rounded by its own gravity.

Is the Moon flat…or simply change ‘faces’ – and shapes – at its whim?

So if the earth is flat, then the Moon may indeed be made of cheese.

“That’s one small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind”….into queso.

• UK Big Board Update
      2:36 pm February 18, 2017 Permalink

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL DID ANYONE WATCH THE YOUTUBE VIDEO 4everblue POSTED?!?!!?

THATS THE FUNNIEST SHIT I’VE EVER SEEN!!!!!! PEOPLE BELIVE THIS SHIT!!! LOLOLOLOLOL

2. Chef1205
    10:14 pm February 17, 2017 Permalink

It’s not his mental health, he went to Duke, it’s not his fault. But he plays for my Cavs sooo….

3. postfeeder
    10:30 pm February 17, 2017 Permalink

Just another average Trump supporter.

• Wakecrash
      1:18 pm February 18, 2017 Permalink

Just another average Killary supporter.

• UK Big Bored Update
      2:10 pm February 18, 2017 Permalink

This political stuff is rediculous.

We were stuck voting for two evils……until the Russians intervened.

So we got – more or less – evil….a/the villain as POTUS.

Thus far, it has been entertaining; following this CHRUMP bump, now that reality is setting in, the market’s about to go to hurl in a hand basket.

• Wakecrash
      3:22 pm February 18, 2017 Permalink

watching the libs melt down and try to turn everything to try and bash trump is entertaining. Hillary’s lies and corruption could not be hid forever, regardless how hard the media and bureaucrats tried. I dont think russia controlled the fbi.

• UK Big Board Update
      3:27 pm February 18, 2017 Permalink

So you’re cool with appointing an NSA who can be blackmailed and had ties to Russia, and botched a raid in Yemen due to insufficient data, getting a service member and 29 civilians killed? And keeps lying about his poll and attendance numbers? I bet if he was a Democrat, you’d be outraged.

The liberals aren’t turning anything – he’s doing it on his own. And even Fox News has been ripping him.

4. Memphis Cat
    10:32 pm February 17, 2017 Permalink

Someone inform him of the event called a lunar eclipse. Then drop your mic.

• Mathlete
      10:35 pm February 17, 2017 Permalink

I’m playing idiot’s advocate here, but a lunar eclipse could happen if the Earth were coin shaped too.

5. Mathlete
    10:36 pm February 17, 2017 Permalink

No one accused Kyrie of being smart. He gets paid millions of dollars to put a ball in a hoop, not for his brains

6. trey
    10:40 pm February 17, 2017 Permalink

1) the flat earth model correlates perfectly with the Bible
    2) how does the star ‘polaris’ always stay in one spot when the earth is supposedly spinning on an axis while reviving around the sun. Instead polaris stays put and the other stars rotate around each year in a perfect circle (look at any start chart time lapse)
    3) if the earth is a globe then you’d have to take into account the curvature as well. How can people on boats see the statute of liberty from up to 60 miles out in the ocean when, using the earth’s curve, the statute should be under their line of view at least 2000 ft.
    4) look up Gleason Map for what the earth really looks like on the flat plane
    5) speaking of ‘plane’, no matter how high you go the horizon will always be flat. Take a peek anytime you’re in an airplane or sitting on a beach and tell me where the curve really is

• playmorezeppelin
      12:19 am February 18, 2017 Permalink

1) The bible also asks that slaves answer to their masters.
      2) the star polaris is in close alignment with the earth’s axis
      3) the statute of liberty is over 300 feet above sea level which obviously makes a difference
      4) no
      5) the last time I was at the beach, I couldn’t see Africa

• CATandMONKEY
      12:33 am February 18, 2017 Permalink

“1) the flat earth model correlates perfectly with the Bible”

Which is not in the least-bit based on any scientific principles.
      If you are in support of a flat-Earth model because “The Bible says so..” I have no derisive words strong enough to reply.

• WatchutalkinboutWillis
      6:39 am February 18, 2017 Permalink

CATandMonkey, you might want to be careful..seems like you might be one of those people that just believe what people tell them. There isn’t a single thing in the Bible that has been disproven by actual science. And many, many things the Bible was correct about way before science caught up. I suggest you do your research.

playmorezeppelin, Within the context of what slavery was then and the context of why Paul was telling slaves to obey their masters I think it makes perfect sense. Maybe you didn’t read very far. I suggest you read about Onesimus.

I don’t necessarily believe the flat earth model correlates perfectly with the Bible, but before I say it does/doesn’t I’m going to research it. I always find it sad when people want to comment on the Bible when they clearly have never read it or take things out of context.

• kvltclassic
      9:00 am February 18, 2017 Permalink

Yeah there’s totally giants running around, people living to be 800 years old and the earth was covered by water a couple thousand years ago

• tbbucs86
      9:11 am February 18, 2017 Permalink

Tila Tequila believes this stuff, that should be enough to know that anyone believes it is not the sharpest tool in the shed.

• binarysolo
      10:47 am February 18, 2017 Permalink

@WatchutalkinboutWillis “…seems like you might be one of those people that just believe what people tell them.” Seems like you might be one of those people that just believe what the Bible tells them.

• CATandMONKEY
      12:11 pm February 18, 2017 Permalink

I grew up a Christian. I am actually a scientist. To assume I don’t know the Bible is incorrect and shortsighted on your part. Using the Bible to prove the Earth is flat or the center of the universe actually is pure ignorance…even from a purely biblical point of view.

Research and skepticism are my bread and butter. Thanks for the advice. I shall choose not to take one crumb of it.

• Matt
      12:12 pm February 18, 2017 Permalink

I don’t need science to arrive at the fact a human didn’t live in the belly of a whale.

• CATandMONKEY
      12:24 pm February 18, 2017 Permalink

” There isn’t a single thing in the Bible that had been disproven by actual science.”

….

7. az1006
    11:25 pm February 17, 2017 Permalink

If the earth were flat, circumnavigating the globe, either by plane or sea, would be impossible. And yet…it has happened many, many times.

• 4everblue
      5:26 am February 18, 2017 Permalink

Again we have been told the earth has been circumnavigated. Who among us has witnessed it and why has no one circumnavigated the globe north to south? Why would no one try that? Why are there no direct flights in the southern hemisphere? Flight tracking websites show no airplanes over oceans in the southern hemisphere. There is no gps over the oceans in the southern hemisphere. Don’t be afraid to ask question or to question what you’ve been told. Or you can follow blindly like sheep…

• WestCoastCat
      10:33 am February 18, 2017 Permalink

Um… my dad, a professional pilot, has circumnavigated the earth and flown over both poles. My uncle, an engineer at JPL in Pasadena, has been to both poles to collect ice samples. I myself have travelled extensively and can vouch that from my perspective the earth is not flat. It’s not unheard of. The fact that this is even a subject of conversation just shows how far we have fallen intellectually as Americans.

• brainesman
      1:41 pm February 18, 2017 Permalink

4everblue if you take an intercontinental flight to China or Russia, you often fly over the north pole. The plane doesn’t take a 180 degree turn to do it either.

8. mikeintn
    11:47 pm February 17, 2017 Permalink

NO, the Bible does not teach the earth is flat, just the opposite.

• keiths
      3:42 pm February 18, 2017 Permalink

The bible doesn’t teach anything except to live your life ignorant and believe in fairy tales

9. Bill the Cat
    11:52 pm February 17, 2017 Permalink

“Rotating in specific dates, being perpendicular with whats going on with these planets.” What in the hell does that mean?

10. Sublem
    5:44 am February 18, 2017 Permalink

If the earth was flat, then there would be no time zones.

11. catsarerunnin
    7:04 am February 18, 2017 Permalink

Well since the earth is flat that explains how Santa is able to deliver toys to everybody in one night.

12. grandepdre
    8:59 am February 18, 2017 Permalink

You conspiracy theorists are hilarious and ignorant. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHtvDA0W34I

Go to the top of Haleakala on Maui or Mauna Loa on Hawaii and watch the sunrise. You can see the curvature of the earth with your own eyes.

13. not
    9:07 am February 18, 2017 Permalink

When we’ve got a society that’s convinced climate scientists are making up their research, that evolution isn’t real, and vaccines are bad, then things like this really aren’t surprising. And the champion of the ignorant is now leading the free world. Go figure.

14. zacada
    9:11 am February 18, 2017 Permalink

Yeah the earth is flat…..unless you call a live feed of the international space station circumventing the world a lie ….NASA is lying to us. They must be employing the worlds greatest computer animators.

15. MakersMike
    9:15 am February 18, 2017 Permalink

If the Earth was flat, season change would be impossible and the ice age would have never happened. Season change is entirely dependent on the tilt of a spherical Earth in respect to its sun.

Best part is, they believe Antarctica is a 150′ tall wall surrounding Earth, guarded by NASA employees. Let me guess, Jon Snow is Jesus and Donald Trump is s wildling.

Stop it.

16. theWilkman
    9:19 am February 18, 2017 Permalink

The thing the flat earth idiots don’t ever explain is WHY would everyone go through so much trouble to convince us it’s a globe, if it isn’t? What’s the point?

17. Carlos Toomer
    9:22 am February 18, 2017 Permalink

Setting aside the proven science for a moment, the sheer number of people who would need to be complicit in a conspiracy to hide a “flat Earth” is mind boggling. It would be potentially millions of people over hundreds of years in countries all over the world who would have nothing to gain by keeping the lid on this. At my office, we can’t get three people to agree on a lunch order much less to keep a secret.

• Dion_James
      10:13 am February 18, 2017 Permalink

The Globe lobbyists are clearly very powerful and also control the Illuminati.

18. runningunnin.454
    9:48 am February 18, 2017 Permalink

Stick ta sports.
    You can’t kick a basketball, and you can’t dribble a football.

19. Jonathan40330
    10:06 am February 18, 2017 Permalink

How is it that Aristotle and Pythagoras could surmise that the Earth, like other planets, are a sphere with remedial methods such as terminators and constellation projections, but scientific illiterate people today still argue about it? Many of these individuals who spout this scientific ignorance go to Infowars for their news which is awesome considering Alex Jones believes tornadoes are controlled by the government.

20. I don’t have time to answer every accusation thrown at Bible believers like me in this thread, but I don’t nor have I ever believed, that the earth is flat. As “mikeintn” says at #8 above, the Bible teaches that the earth is round (Isaiah 40:22) and that it is suspended in space (Job 26:7), as opposed to what many ancients believed.

Please don’t stereotype, and then accuse all Christians and/or conservatives of stereotyping with race, etc.

What’s more, just because I am a global warming skeptic doesn’t mean I don’t belive in REAL science. Anyone who says the science is settled is ridiculous. If you think every credible climatologist believes in that, look up former NASA scientist Dr. Roy Spencer. Wait, here you go: http://www.drroyspencer.com/

• CATandMONKEY
      12:20 pm February 18, 2017 Permalink

For the record: Above i am not attacking all people who read (I have studied it since age 6 and read it numerous times) or believe in the Bible…only those who chose or are unable to reconcile those things that science has completely shown to be definitively not the case presented. The guy I replied to above obviously doesn’t know the bible because as you note, it does NOT make the case for a flat Earth therefore making his argument null and void. Thus why I ridiculed he and hisc”argument.” He infered thatbthe bible could conceivably show that the Earth was not round…false statement and false proof.

• Gotcha! But I do believe that the Bible and true science agree. Check out the Christian apologetics site that I always link to.

• not
      2:14 pm February 18, 2017 Permalink

Congrats on finding the one guy who uses his religious beliefs to guide his views on scientific research to confirm your opinions. I’ll continue to belief the 99% who have protecting our environment in mind while you wait on them to “settle” the issue and let big oil and coal destroy our drinking water, forests and mountains in the meantime. I’d rather use my religious beliefs for protecting God’s creation and not as an excuse to keep destroying it.

• UK Big Board Update
      2:22 pm February 18, 2017 Permalink

The Christian Apologetics site also condemns gays and thinks dinosaurs are made up children’s stories. I’m sorry, but you lose all credibility by linking to that site.

• It does not say dinosaurs are made up. It says they coexisted with humans. As for your other accusation, they simply teach what the Bible teaches.

• Let me qualify that: I have personally heard several of these guys speak, and have read many of their writings. I have never heard any of them say, or read any claim by them, that there were no dinosaurs.

• UK Big Board Update
      3:33 pm February 18, 2017 Permalink

Dinosaurs: They’re Everywhere! They’re Everywhere!

by Kyle Butt, M.Div.

Those mysterious reptiles known as dinosaurs have captivated not just our nation, but the entire world. In 1956, Godzilla made the big screen come alive with his city-crushing tirades. Since that time, dinosaurs have made an appearance on untold millions of soda cans, cereal boxes, posters, and other such items. For the past ten years, absorbent little minds have flocked to PBS to watch their favorite purple dinosaur, Barney, bounce around the stage, teaching them to pick up their toys, and say please and thank you.

As I write this article, I have before me a veritable plethora of dinosaur-saturated material. First on the list is a Wendy’sâ„¢ children’s meal bag that has a 2001 copyright date. From this beautifully colored, slick-papered bag, hungry young readers can learn about dinosaurs like Stegosaurus, Oviraptor, and the infamous Tyrannosaurus rex. Next on the list of dinosaur products is a Large Aqua Dinosaur Big Bellyâ„¢ Bank. This exciting collector’s bank features a free-standing dinosaur with a large, clear belly that holds coins. In order for the coins to get into the belly, children “feed” the coins through the mouth of the money-hungry dinosaur, and then watch the coins roll down the meandering throat canal into the belly below. And if that does not satisfy your child’s dinosaur cravings, you can order an inflatable, enclosed trampoline shaped like a dinosaur. Also available is the ever-popular board game, “The Dinosaur Game,” that boasts of having won eleven awards, and was featured on “Good Morning America.” Other dinosaur products on the market include countless books, one of which is named Dinosaurs Divorce, which purports to help divorcing parents teach their children about their situation by using a family of dinosaurs.

Last on the list is the ever-growing number of movies starring these captivating creatures. The landmark movie, Jurassic Park, drew children and adults to the box office by the millions, and its two successors, The Lost World, and Jurassic Park 3, raked in tens-of-millions of dollars. Not least on the list of critically acclaimed dinosaur movies was the Walt Disney classic titled, appropriately, Dinosaur. One reviewer of Dinosaur stated that “kids will love the film,” and noted that the film, which was “geared primarily towards a younger audience,” was “aimed squarely at the under-10 crowd.”

Kid’s meal bags, children’s PBS shows, toy banks, games, and a children’s animated movie all have one thing in common: they target children. Kids are fascinated with dinosaurs, and the various companies and agencies that want to turn a quick dollar are smart enough to seize upon that fascination. Unfortunately, however, dinosaurs are not used just to make money. These marvelous creatures also have been laden with a backbreaking load of evolutionary baggage. For decades, dinosaurs have been exploited by evolutionists, and have been used to force-feed children false evolutionary propaganda. As evidence of this fact, consider that on that same Wendy’sâ„¢ kids’ meal bag discussed earlier, an unsuspecting child can see, via the timeline on the side panel of the bag, that dinosaurs first appeared “245 million years ago.” The child also can read how dinosaurs became extinct “64 million years ago.” And, the same movie reviewer who mentioned that Dinosaur was aimed at the “under-10 crowd,” also noted that the movie was set “65 million years ago during the late Cretaceous period.”

What is wrong with this information? Notice that no humans are depicted in the Dinosaur animation. Such is the case because, according to evolutionary theory, humans did not evolve until about 3 million years ago, separating them from the dinosaurs by an alleged 62 million years or so. This concept, however, stands in direct contradiction to biblical teaching, which states that God made dinosaurs on day six of the Creation (since dinosaurs, by definition, are land-living animals)–the exact same day that He made humans. Furthermore, Jesus Himself stated that Adam and Eve, the first humans, had been on Earth “from the beginning of creation” (Mark 10:6), not millions of years removed from it.

Currently, the sad state of affairs finds the amazing creatures we know as dinosaurs being hijacked by those who use them to teach children evolution-based concepts. In contradistinction, when God was in the midst of His discussion with Job (Job 40-41), He mentioned two creatures–behemoth and leviathan–that resemble either dinosaurs or dinosaur-like animals. God, however, referred to these creatures to impress upon Job His unfathomable power–the exact opposite of what dinosaurs are being used to teach today.

The topic of dinosaurs is something that children are going to learn–from someone! Whether it is from us, or from the evolutionists, children will learn about these creatures. The time has come for us to “take back” the use of dinosaurs as an educational tool. Let us arm children with the correct information about dinosaurs, so that when the time comes that they find themselves bombarded with evolutionary propaganda, they will be able to defend themselves with the truth.

See MY comment at #27

• Again, he never said they didn’t exist. He said they coexisted with humans and there is ample evidence of that mentioned on the site, including things like cave drawings of humans and dinosaurs on the same wall.

Let me say this also about your first statement at #iv. I have never held that one sin is greater than another. We are all sinners, and I certainly don’t claim to be better than the next person, and I don’t ever mean to come off that way.

21. huntcalvert
    11:12 am February 18, 2017 Permalink

If you’ve ever been in a plane above 45,000 feet you can see the curvature of the earth. Also how in the phuck would the force of gravity push everything in one direction if the earth wasn’t spherical and rotating? If you have any questions about the curvature of space itself you can read https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/does-the-fact-that-the-un/

22. Matt
    12:17 pm February 18, 2017 Permalink

There is a 100% chance everyone in this comment thread who has even remotely insisted the world is flat voted for Trump.

23. Lori M
    1:03 pm February 18, 2017 Permalink

Believers in science might say: “I’ll believe it when I see it.”

Believers in the bible might say: “I’ll see it when I believe it.”

24. Kevin C
    1:53 pm February 18, 2017 Permalink

I am deeply disturbed to see a few people in here actually defending Kyrie, even agreeing with him. I’m just going to assume they are Tards or Puke fans, and leave it at that.

• UK Big Bored Update
      2:17 pm February 18, 2017 Permalink

Best post of the day. Made me laugh!

• not
      2:18 pm February 18, 2017 Permalink

This is Kentucky, why are you surprised? I’d say there’s more people than you’d think who belief in a flat, 6000 year old earth

25. UK Big Board Update
    2:10 pm February 18, 2017 Permalink

Its just as dumb as some claiming the earth is a few thousand years old…

The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it.

26. goose32373
    2:14 pm February 18, 2017 Permalink

The original article above and some of these comments really scare me. Some people are so paranoid that they are being lied to that they intentionally believe these crazy theories (if you can even call the flat earth argument that).

• not
      2:23 pm February 18, 2017 Permalink

We ARE being lied to. The Deep State controls all the knowledge we are given. The FAKE NEWS media crams it all down are throats so we’ll join in on their liberal communism. Breitbart and IInfoWars are the only media to expose the lies behind all these things were lied to about (from the moon landing to sandy hook to 9/11 and charleston). /s

27. jhnny
    4:48 pm February 18, 2017 Permalink

LOL. The comments to this post…

If you believe the world is flat there is nothing I can tell you other than you should throw away your cell phone, your TV, your microwave, your laptop, and your car (to start). All of those items are based upon an understanding of basic science which demands that the world is round and spinning on its axis around the sun. If the world were flat, than the basic science which allowed for the creation, for example, of your cell phone would make no sense- which would mean your cell phone wouldn’t work. It really is as simple as that.

28. W.C.
    4:52 pm February 18, 2017 Permalink

My High School guidance counselor told me that one must be smart to be admitted to Duke. Wrong !

29. bcat
    5:15 pm February 18, 2017 Permalink

And yet we still allow all of these people to vote.

30. CATS WIN!!! CATS WIN!!!

Can we all get along now? 🙂