KSR Stops in Santa Fe (Thursday Show Thread)

Three fans who met up with the crew in Roswell.

Three fans who met up with the crew in Roswell.

There are a few times a year when so little happens, you just don’t know what Matt’s going to talk about on Kentucky Sports Radio.  Today is not one of those days.  With a game against North Carolina in Vegas just two days away and the UofL game just six days away, you’d think Kentucky basketball would be the primary topic of conversation, but I have a feeling Tom Jurich and Bobby Petrino will be mentioned first in a show you don’t want to miss.

Join in on the fun by calling (502) 571-1080.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

affiliate-list

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

67 Comments for KSR Stops in Santa Fe (Thursday Show Thread)

1. Ridge Runner
    9:55 am December 15, 2016 Permalink

Great pic above but it kinda looks like Drew has 3 hands. Heh…

2. ukjaybrat
    10:09 am December 15, 2016 Permalink

So, I took a peek at the CC just to relish in the tears and you would not believe the number of people on there that think their local media is hard on them. Do they include KSR as a local media outlet? because yeah I get that. but every other media outlet in the city of louisville avoids the tough questions when it comes to their athletic department…. all of them. they really are the most delusional group of idiots i’ve ever seen in my entire life. from coaches who have cheated on their wives, to strippers in the dorm, it is amazing they can recruit ANY women’s athletics, yet they just recently got the #1 woman’s basketball recruiting class, how in the hell does that happen? How can any parent look at that dumpster fire of an athletic organization and allow their kids to go to that school? i really don’t get it.

More importantly, from the president and everything on his staff to the foundation, to the coaches, to hookers, to blatant cheating and sweeping all of it under the rug like it’s “not big deal” how can any rational human being support that athletic department. the school’s administration, the media that cover them, the coaching staffs, and the ad himself are crooked as f- and yet the fans just gobble up whatever weakass excuse they feed them every day to try and minimize the severity of the situation they find themselves in today.

Again, I was peeking in on CC yesterday and a commentor said paraphrased “this is no big deal, we will lose a schollie or two and no one will remember this next year. moving on.” Are you freaking kidding me. This is blatant, premeditated cheating and you think it’s “no big deal” !?!? that is the culture they have over there. that when something hits the fan, “well we will just lose a schollie or two” … not “maybe we should fire a coach that would stoop to this” or the AD who thinks it’s no big deal and has presided over a few athletic departments who have had several nation leading headlines in scandal during his tenure.

To say I am outraged at the nonchalance over there is a complete and utter understatement. I absolutely cannot believe any human would support what’s going on over there just to win a freaking sport.

• ukjaybrat
      10:12 am December 15, 2016 Permalink

typo…
      over a few athletic departments who
      over an athletic department who

• Realme
      10:16 am December 15, 2016 Permalink

Normally I would skip such a long comment, but since it’s from you, Jay, I read it. Completely agree. I do think it’s interesting that several national media are FINALLY letting them have it (they did a little during the hooker scandal, but not to the point of holding individual coaches and admins responsible). Maybe their fans will finally be embarrassed enough to demand change.

• ukjaybrat
      10:20 am December 15, 2016 Permalink

honestly i didn’t realize it got that long until i posted. i was just ranting on bc this truly has me upset. i didn’t even address the fact that their yum deal that they made with themselves is essentially stealing money from the tax payers and again jurich is pretending he is the victim when the city finally stands up. but like i said, it’s not just the cesspool that bothers me, it’s the fans that blindly continue to follow and eat up every word jurich tells them when he says “it’s going to be ok” because it’s not. none of this is “ok”

• RealCatsFan
      10:21 am December 15, 2016 Permalink

Their usual claim is that every other school is doing it too, they just haven’t been caught yet, so that makes it OK.

• Ridge Runner
      10:22 am December 15, 2016 Permalink

Agreed Jay

• secrick
      10:25 am December 15, 2016 Permalink

You tell then UKJAYBRAT, i agree with you.

• CATandMONKEY
      10:26 am December 15, 2016 Permalink

You used paragraphs in a friendly manner, plus your rep deserves a full read. Great take!

My biggest issue is with the fans who not only blindly support Jurich and the rest of the vermin lair but are continuously extolling Jurich’s virtues in ethics and morals. Seriously. They actually put Jurich up as a standard for ethics and values. I could not make this up.

• I hate to always point this out, but can you imagine if this was Cal? The NCAA is ALWAYS waiting for a reason (excuse) to drop the hammer on him and UK IMHO.

• J-Dub421
      10:46 am December 15, 2016 Permalink

How did they get a #1 recruiting class in women’s basketball, when their coach just did a major whine about his team being of the participation trophy generation? He just bashed his own team and threw them under the bus. I wouldn’t want to play for him, and wouldn’t let my daughter play for him either (if I had one).

• ukjaybrat
      10:55 am December 15, 2016 Permalink

it was #1 in november 2014 and top 5 in november 2016.

3. Craig
    10:12 am December 15, 2016 Permalink

Having some audio troubles today?

• RealCatsFan
      10:14 am December 15, 2016 Permalink

Yeah, their signal is breaking up bad. Must be Jurich at it again. 😉

4. RealCatsFan
    10:16 am December 15, 2016 Permalink

It’s more like saying, “yes officer, I tried to shoot him, but I missed, so what’s the problem?”

5. profmike
    10:23 am December 15, 2016 Permalink

That Wendy’s ad read from Matt. Ape-l wood bacon? I know I like applewood (app-l wood) bacon, but I’m not certain about pigs that come from areas with apes in the woods.

6. runningunnin.454
    10:27 am December 15, 2016 Permalink

The Wake Forest thing was even on a national cable news station last night, in between political news and news about Syria. Can you believe they didn’t mention U of L?

• CATandMONKEY
      10:48 am December 15, 2016 Permalink

The Wake/UofL…honestly, UofL issue has been in the top three of my CBS Sports feed for the past 12 hours.

7. secrick
    10:28 am December 15, 2016 Permalink

I know most of you don’t agree with me on this but if they lose the WAKE game Jackson does not win the Heisman , i’m not sure he deserves it now after this. He seems like a good kid but they had to cheat to win. If this had come out before the award i don’t think he does win.

• ukjaybrat
      10:37 am December 15, 2016 Permalink

i don’t disagree at all. i already thought his Heisman numbers, although astonishing, were racked up by running up the score in the 4th quarter against the really bad teams they played. throw in a 4th loss and or a scandal that probably will result in a vacated win, and that is yet another blow to his heisman campaign. i have no doubt the voters would have voted differently if this came out 2 weeks sooner

8. BigJHagan
    10:29 am December 15, 2016 Permalink

In the rants on Tom Jurich, don’t forget the fact he came out a couple of weeks ago playing victim regarding the Yum Center deal coverage and essentially said they would just build their own and let the tax payers deal with a bankrupt arena.

• ukjaybrat
      10:34 am December 15, 2016 Permalink

i was wondering about that the other day. I don’t know all the details of the deal, but from what i understand, a large portion of the revenue (even non ul sports) goes directly to the athletic department. if they pull out, doesn’t all that money go directly to the debt instead? Wouldn’t the city be better if UL pulled out or does their basketball team single-handedly earn more revenue than all the concerts and potentially an NBA team combined? i feel like if they back out, it would be better for the city and worse for them.

• Realme
      10:36 am December 15, 2016 Permalink

The city would probably be more likely to pursue a NBA team if the Cards left the Yum Center. That’d be great.

• RealCatsFan
      10:39 am December 15, 2016 Permalink

I live in Louisville, and I think it would be awesome if Jurich called their bluff and moved out of the YUM Center, and then an NBA team came to town (Suns?) that is stocked with ex-UK players. Rebirth of the Colonels?

• BigJHagan
      10:48 am December 15, 2016 Permalink

Agree, if the city did get an NBA team then that would cover the loss easily and probably put the arena in a better place. I would just be worried that if we did not get an NBA team that the loss of consistent revenue from basketball would be too much to overcome.

• J-Dub421
      11:16 am December 15, 2016 Permalink

If you don’t feel like reading the article or other similar articles, I’ll sum up for you. Louisville gets 88% of Yum Center revenue. U of L makes around $20 million per year from the Yum Center. Meanwhile, the Yum Center is losing $1.4 million per month and debt payments are going to start ballooning. If the current lease terms continue as is, the Yum Center will be bankrupt in approximately 2 years.

• Realme
      11:19 am December 15, 2016 Permalink

But poor ittie bittie Louisville is a victim here, how dare they finally decide to try to save the Yum Center by not letting Louisville continue to have an immorally beneficial deal at taxpayer expense.

• ukjaybrat
      11:20 am December 15, 2016 Permalink

that’s what happens when the devil (ramsey) makes a deal with himself. the tax payers that had no say so get raped

• And for folks that don’t know about UL’s deal with Yum, they read/hear on ESPN that UL is the most profitable program, and they think “Wow! I really thought it would be UK, UNC, Duke, or KU! Louisville must really have it going on!” Well, they do because they’re sticking it to the taxpayers.

• J-Dub421
      11:26 am December 15, 2016 Permalink

I cannot believe their stupid fanbase hasn’t figured this out yet. U of L has no skin in the game. The city built and paid for the arena, but U of L gets pretty much all of the profits. U of L has zero risk but gets all the rewards. We’re talking about millions and millions of our tax dollars subsidizing U of L’s athletic department. I am outraged every time I hear them talk about Louisville being the most profitable athletic department going right now because I know they’re doing it by stealing our tax money.

• Right, but I was referring to those that are fans of other teams (or those who don’t watch until March).

• J-Dub421
      11:43 am December 15, 2016 Permalink

I wouldn’t expect random fans around the country to care one way or another, but Louisville fans are getting screwed on the tax front too, not just us UK fans who live in the city.

9. Realme
    10:32 am December 15, 2016 Permalink

Let’s not forget their bizarre silence on the two football players that were shot celebrating the Heisman. I wonder if there are details they want to hide there.

10. Great to hear them from Santa Fe this morning. I would LOVE to see New Mexico one day. Not only because it’s beautiful and great Mexican food (so I hear from my parents who’ve been there), but “The Rifleman” lived there! 🙂 Hands down my favorite western.

• runningunnin.454
      10:42 am December 15, 2016 Permalink

Agree, did you know Chuck Connors played major league baseball, and also in the NBA. He didn’t play pro football, but was drafted by the Chicago Bears. THAT is an athlete.

• Yep, I did know that! I believe he played for the Celtics, but I forget which baseball team(s).

Not only did I LOVE the way he slung that rifle around and the rapid fire (The intro was epic! The music really added to it), but I’m a shrimp and I wanted to be YUGE like him. Hah! I still watch the reruns on “MeTV”.

• runningunnin.454
      10:55 am December 15, 2016 Permalink

Yeah, and my Dad would always say, “he couldn’t hit a barn, shooting a rifle like that”…ha ha ha.
      Another favorite, of course, was James Arness; he stood 6’7” and many scenes would have to be re-shot because he would have uncontrollable fits of…..giggling. Would love to see the bloopers from those scenes.

• Oh, come on Nick. My last comment was inoffensive. Let it post, pleeeeeeeeeease! 🙂

11. runningunnin.454
    10:38 am December 15, 2016 Permalink

Jurich does have a point…..they will have their hands full with LSU.

12. JoeMoney333
    10:39 am December 15, 2016 Permalink

The part is the crazy UofL fans really believe that the media is out to get them. It’s all a big sting operation.

• RealCatsFan
      10:42 am December 15, 2016 Permalink

Sounds a lot like some folks I know of a particular political bent…

• J-Dub421
      10:58 am December 15, 2016 Permalink

Hilarious, considering that according to all the national sports writers, the Louisville media are the biggest bunch of fawning sycophants in the country and are completely in the back pockets of Jurich, Petrino, and Pitino.

• BluKudzu
      11:10 am December 15, 2016 Permalink

The U of L fans do not need to worry about the media, they need to worry about the AD and the coaches he surrounds his program with. Those people are the ones ripping the program apart. The fact that only the stupid stuff, has caught up with them, should be scary as hell to the fans. You have to wonder what else is going on, that they have protected so much better, that they have not been caught, yet.

• J-Dub421
      11:20 am December 15, 2016 Permalink

That’s part of the problem though. The media is supposed to investigate and question things; it keeps the schools/athletic departments honest. When the Louisville media spends all their time fawning over U of L, they basically aren’t doing their jobs. This has contributed the scandal culture at U of L. They aren’t getting caught in scandals as they should, because no one is really looking/investigating.

13. Realme
    10:41 am December 15, 2016 Permalink

Next time Matt’s doing a caller contest where they take turns listing teams or players of a certain category, he should do one where he has them go through the list of UL scandals.

• J-Dub421
      10:56 am December 15, 2016 Permalink

Great idea!

14. RealCatsFan
    10:41 am December 15, 2016 Permalink

Louisville has just taken the lead over Baylor in scandals…

15. RealCatsFan
    10:50 am December 15, 2016 Permalink

METAPHOR!!!

16. Who likes to save money??? Random tip from CGINWTTD:

If you’ve never seen this column/blog, read it every weekday. He has (often exclusive) deals on discounts on electronics, software, etc., sometimes even free software. It’s great for Christmas shopping, but I’ve ordered several items from Amazon the last couple years and saved a good bit of money:

Happy shopping! [and no, that’s not me nor a family member or friend. 🙂 ]

• I forgot to add: sometimes his best deals sell out quickly, so if you set up an RSS feed, you can jump on something that you like.

A couple weeks ago he actually had a deal to download 9 free Christmas albums from Microsoft, but it was good for that day only. Anyway, he often has, for example, bluetooth speakers and headphones. Sometimes you can get a $40 or $50 speaker/headphones for 10 bucks or so.

17. Ridge Runner
    11:25 am December 15, 2016 Permalink

Got through to talk on the show but got extended due to Mitch coming on & Bill a bit after -had to hang up as work was calling me. No worries… maybe next time and looking forward to listening rest of the way. So much Loserville news!!!

• J-Dub421
      11:28 am December 15, 2016 Permalink

Good luck! Let us know if you make it on the show.

18. J-Dub421
    11:32 am December 15, 2016 Permalink

REALCATSFAN, CHAIR BACKS ARE COMING TO RUPP!!!! You got your wish!!

• RealCatsFan
      11:50 am December 15, 2016 Permalink

I have been really fortunate to have basically had lower level tickets in Rupp fall in my lap the past several years from a family member who lives in Lexington. She has season tickets and a young son, and she is too busy to go to many of the games, so we get to go to a few every year. (Of course, we always reward her with a very generous gift card every year for her kindness). So basically, the chairbacks won’t benefit me directly, but I am really glad to see if for perhaps our most passionate fans in the upper arena. Those folks deserve it!

• RealCatsFan
      11:53 am December 15, 2016 Permalink

Now let’s take it to the next level and install my idea for the “mosh pit” of students surrounding the floor. Make it below floor level, but standing room only, similar to what Vandy has at their arena.

19. Random thought:

Enes Kanter looks like The Iron Sheik with his stache, especially in that stock photo used in the “BBNBA” posts on KSR.

20. Realme
    11:39 am December 15, 2016 Permalink

Bill Simmons is the Darius Rucker of sports broadcasting.

• CATandMONKEY
      11:43 am December 15, 2016 Permalink

Ouch(?)

• Realme
      11:47 am December 15, 2016 Permalink

They’re both fine. I just think Matt’s mancrush is the equivalent of Ryan’s and he deserved their teasing.

21. jaws2
    11:43 am December 15, 2016 Permalink

Anybody listen to Westry’s highlight video on KSR site? JESUS CHRIST!! What were the kids thinking when they put this up.
    Why would a highlight video have music in it about licking vaginas?!!

• RealCatsFan
      11:51 am December 15, 2016 Permalink

Sounds like it should have been the UofL basketball highlight video. Some kind of mixup there.

• RealCatsFan
      11:58 am December 15, 2016 Permalink

Whenever I listen to those highlight videos set to rap music, I always hit mute, because I can’t stand to listen to most of that crap. Just not my thing, sorry.