KSR Show Thread 6/24: The spotlight shifts to Fleming County

Did you know that Fleming County was named after Colonel John Fleming, an Indian fighter and early settler, in 1798? Or that the first courthouse in the county was built of logs?

KSR’s Blue Lights Across the Bluegrass (Virtual) Tour of counties continues this morning as Matt Jones, Ryan Lemond and Drew Franklin break down everything you need to know about Fleming, along with the other news in the world of UK Athletics.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

Article written by Jack Pilgrim

Follow me on Twitter: @JackPilgrimKSR

63 Comments for KSR Show Thread 6/24: The spotlight shifts to Fleming County

1. ClutchCargo
    9:58 am June 24, 2020 Permalink

Mornin’!

• Realme
      10:05 am June 24, 2020 Permalink

Once had a youth pastors wife that would go around singing “Good morning to you!” on all our trips. Was so puzzled by our grumpy reactions. Same tune as Happy Birthday.

10:22 am June 24, 2020 Permalink

I’m not really a grumpy person by nature. But hearing “good morning!” before I have had my coffee is like nails on a chalkboard. Actually, I can handle the greeting okay, but just shut up after that. lol

• RealCatsFan
      10:25 am June 24, 2020 Permalink

rg, the song that queued up on YouTube after that one is perhaps the saddest song the Beatles have ever written…

• runningunnin.454
      10:30 am June 24, 2020 Permalink

Yep, RCF especially poignant for you at this time.

• RealCatsFan
      10:31 am June 24, 2020 Permalink

Oh crap, you had to say that! Now that Saharan dust is starting to make my eyes water.

• runningunnin.454
      10:42 am June 24, 2020 Permalink

Sorry, I thought that was what you were talking about.

10:45 am June 24, 2020 Permalink

10:47 am June 24, 2020 Permalink

• RealCatsFan
      11:04 am June 24, 2020 Permalink

There is actually an interesting back-story about the song. McCartney wrote the song after reading a newspaper article about a teen-age runaway. The girl who ran away had actually met the Beatles years before at a game show contest, unbeknownst to both of them.

• RealCatsFan
      11:08 am June 24, 2020 Permalink

Dangit cg, now I’ll never get any work done this morning. I guess I started it. Reading some of the comments it worse than hearing the song!

11:09 am June 24, 2020 Permalink

I know man.

2. RealCatsFan
    10:16 am June 24, 2020 Permalink

Dust storm from the Sahara Desert? As if my allergies weren’t bad enough! People run from me like I have the plague now with all the hacking I do every morning. Just in time for my trip to the lake. Well, at least the sunsets should be vivid.

10:24 am June 24, 2020 Permalink

Apparently (according to Marc Weinberg) this happens every year, but it doesn’t always make it to our area.

• RealCatsFan
      10:28 am June 24, 2020 Permalink

Marc Weinberg always cracks me up because he is like the uber weather geek – he always gets so excited about weather events. I have actually become somewhat of a fan of his – it’s kind of cool to see someone with so much enthusiasm for what they do, even if it comes across a little geeky. I’m kind of a weather nerd by nature anyway.

10:37 am June 24, 2020 Permalink

I love weather stuff, so I’m a fan of Marc with a C. Actually, I’m a fan of anybody who is really passionate about what they do.

10:46 am June 24, 2020 Permalink

The dude is an uber weather geek, and he takes it so seriously. True story: last summer, my county judge/executive issued a “burn advisory” for the county. This was while nearly all counties in the area had a “burn ban.” It bugged me that WDRB kept showing my county on the map as having a burn ban, when I knew for a fact that we didn’t (I’m just a stickler for getting the facts right. Whatever.), to the point that I emailed Marc asking him where he got his information and to please get it right. He was actually cool about it, and thanked me for holding him accountable. From that point on, Hardin Co was an island of “burn advisory” on the area map on WDRB weather. ๐Ÿ™‚

10:58 am June 24, 2020 Permalink

We have a long time weather dude here who worked in radio at one time, and one of the DJs that worked with him way back when talked about how he was always so fascinated with weather so he wasn’t surprised he transitioned to that.

3. runningunnin.454
    10:22 am June 24, 2020 Permalink

Obviously, these are the days of the eschaton…

• Realme
      10:39 am June 24, 2020 Permalink

Is that another word for first year of the tribulation period?

• runningunnin.454
      10:45 am June 24, 2020 Permalink

I guess, the end times.

• Realme
      11:09 am June 24, 2020 Permalink

Ha ha that’s what husband and I had just been saying. 2020 is year one.

11:19 am June 24, 2020 Permalink

I shared a meme on FB of a Gremlin doll (actually, whatever they were called before they turned to Gremlins) about to be put in the kitchen sink water. The caption? Simply “July 2020”.

4. Laker Cat 18
    10:28 am June 24, 2020 Permalink

I did it. I finally started Ozark.

10:38 am June 24, 2020 Permalink

Try not to binge too hard. It’s going to be awhile before season 4.

• Realme
      10:41 am June 24, 2020 Permalink

But also, hurry because the end of season 3 is so good!!!!!! I’m gonna do a season 1-3 rewatch when the time comes for #4.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:46 am June 24, 2020 Permalink

I gave the wife the pick between Ozark, Yellowstone, & Waco. She picked Ozark, but I have a feeling I will have to watch Yellowstone and Waco by myself…

2:28 pm June 24, 2020 Permalink

LC, I have a feeling that if you all like Ozark, you will also like Waco. Very different types of stories, but both are very character and dialogue driven, with great actors.

5. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:42 am June 24, 2020 Permalink

What is going on with the ST not being on the home page again? I had to Google it. Is it hidden somewhere in one of the menus up top? I remember with the old site every post would say, at the top left, “Filed under Blue Blooded Opinions” and/or “Filed under basketball”, etc. because it looked more like a blog then than it does now.

• RealCatsFan
      10:53 am June 24, 2020 Permalink

I don’t know – I always seem to find the ST in the main body of the site. I usually right click on it and open it in a separate tab.

10:56 am June 24, 2020 Permalink

I usually find it there too, and usually posted at the top as one of the 4 “Top Stories” or whatever they call it. It’s actually there now. I suppose I may have missed it but I don’t think so. Anyway, it’s all good now!

11:10 am June 24, 2020 Permalink

If this makes it harder for the occasional troll to drop by, I’m for it.

6. RealCatsFan
    10:52 am June 24, 2020 Permalink

So where are they talking about where the hunter says he is seeing tumors in the deer that he shoots?

7. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    11:15 am June 24, 2020 Permalink

I disagree with one thing in that Stoops article. Granted, football is not the pressure cooker of basketball, or of Bama football, but you STILL have to recruit like a maniac IMO just to get UK to where Stoops has them. So, I’m quite certain he and Marrow put in quite a bit of long hours. Sometimes we see pics of the 2 of them on KSR the day after a big win because there’s no rest for the weary on the recruiting trail.

11:16 am June 24, 2020 Permalink

Pics of them at a prospects house I meant to say…

8. ClutchCargo
    11:17 am June 24, 2020 Permalink

Baby hawk update: so, they have been out of the nest for a little over a week. Now they mostly sit around in trees and screech back and forth with the mom. Finally got a great look at one of them this morning. https://app.photobucket.com/u/Clutch_Cargo2020/p/aae6ccf4-4ec9-487e-865a-688df98ce5b4

• runningunnin.454
      11:20 am June 24, 2020 Permalink

Great pic!

11:23 am June 24, 2020 Permalink

Cool. And I like that you use the same screen name. Haha.

11:23 am June 24, 2020 Permalink

Best I could do with the cheap clip-on telephoto phone lens from Amazon. ๐Ÿ™‚ Makes me wish I had a real camera and knew what to do with it.

• Realme
      11:25 am June 24, 2020 Permalink

Awesome. What kind did you say they are? Red shouldered?

11:28 am June 24, 2020 Permalink

Haha! I made a new account just for this purpose, so as to not totally put my identity out there, cg.

11:29 am June 24, 2020 Permalink

Yes, red shouldered. I can’t necessarily tell all the varieties of hawks apart by sight, but their call is very distinct.

• Realme
      11:37 am June 24, 2020 Permalink

I can only reliably tell red tailed, coopers, sharp shinned, and “other”.

11:43 am June 24, 2020 Permalink

The neighborhood we lived in before this one, the red tailed hawks were plentiful, and no red shouldered. Those are probably my favorite, just because they are kind of at the top of the food chain and have that distinctive sound that people tend to associate with all raptors.

9. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    11:25 am June 24, 2020 Permalink

I just heard a Menard’s commercial on WHIR. You guys have those in Kentucky? I thought it was only a far north chain. If you don’t know, it’s a Lowe’s, Ace, or Home Depot type place. I only knew about it because Glenn Haege used to talk about it on his “The Master Handyman” radio talk show. He was based in Michigan. I learned a lot from him but he passed away a while back.

• RealCatsFan
      11:27 am June 24, 2020 Permalink

They have one on Preston in Louisville, and also across the river in Jeffersonville. Wish they had one closer to me. I went to the one in Indiana, and it’s kind of like a Lowe’s, but not quite as wide of a selection but better prices on what they have.

11:34 am June 24, 2020 Permalink

We have a new one going up in E’town. It’s a stone’s throw away from Home Depot, and just down the road from Lowe’s. Somebody forgot to tell them that we’re supposed to get the mini sized version of every store here, because this place is ginormous.

11:54 am June 24, 2020 Permalink

So they’ve expanded further south. Is that pretty recent?

11:59 am June 24, 2020 Permalink

I think so, we’re the most southerly location and it’s not ready to open yet.

10. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    11:29 am June 24, 2020 Permalink

“I tend to take things at face value”. Therein lies the problem Matt. One should always maintain a healthy amount of skepticism and there won’t be as many of these kneejerk reactions.

11. RealCatsFan
    11:30 am June 24, 2020 Permalink

I don’t know if you can blame Bubba for the noose thing, but I kind of feel like he should say that apparently there may have been a misunderstanding and things got blown out of proportion. I understand that a noose is a symbol of intimidation, but it now looks pretty clearly like that was not the intent of using that type of knot to make the loop on the garage door pull-down. Bubba risks some damage to his reputation if he doesn’t separate himself from being the one who “cried wolf”.

11:37 am June 24, 2020 Permalink

Definitely. Hopefully Bubba and the NASCAR folks have a lot more common sense than the wack jobs in Oakland: https://www.kcrg.com/2020/06/18/nooses-in-oakland-park-were-exercise-aids-man-says/

11:39 am June 24, 2020 Permalink

I agree RCF. I heard a story a while back where people reported nooses hanging in some public park. It turned out a black man had put them there for exercising.

11:40 am June 24, 2020 Permalink

Oh, I’m late again! Haha. CC crosses the finish line first.

• runningunnin.454
      11:43 am June 24, 2020 Permalink

Only question I have is why use that kind of knot; it has the coils at the top of the loop, and the loop is going to tighten when pressure is put on the rope
      How many people can tie that knot?

11:48 am June 24, 2020 Permalink

My guess is it was just made to look like a hangman’s noose, not to operate like one.

11:49 am June 24, 2020 Permalink

All this talk about assuming. Has Matt forgotten what happens when we ass-u-me?

11:51 am June 24, 2020 Permalink

Matt, Matt, Matt, it already IS political man! Come on! No one is saying there is no racism.

I also felt bad for Bubba, but I was skeptical. I, however, don’t like Bubba wrapping his car promoting a group that proudly says it is Marxist and wishes to break down the family structure for the radical L G B T Q I A agenda.

11:53 am June 24, 2020 Permalink

I realize a lot of people who use the PHRASE “BLM” don’t know this BTW. However, it’s on that group’s site. It is NOT a racial equality group. The leader of BLM in New York said Biden can’t pick the congresswoman from Florida (I forget her name) as his running mate because she used to be a cop. He said “When you become cop, you’re no longer black, you’re blue.” That is a direct quote.

• RealCatsFan
      12:04 pm June 24, 2020 Permalink

rg, my next door neighbor made a noose like that on a rope we were using to pull a tree that we were cutting down. He also has a Trump flag. Guess that means he has to be a racist. ๐Ÿ˜‰

12. ClutchCargo
    11:53 am June 24, 2020 Permalink

I’m done with worrying about whether the UK basketball coach will leave to take another job. The last time I got even a little freaked out about it was when he was supposedly going to UCLA, and that had more to do with the timing of the rumor than anything.