KSR Show Thread: Live from The Basketball Tournament

The Basketball Tournament is set to tip off today at Frederick Douglass High School, and the KSR crew is ready to get you hyped for it.

From 10:00 a.m. to noon, Matt Jones, Ryan Lemond, and Drew Franklin will be LIVE from Douglass High School with some very special guests.

Former Wildcats DeMarcus Cousins, Dominique Hawkins, and Wayne Turner will join the show to discuss their specific roles for the event set to take over Lexington this weekend.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

Article written by Jack Pilgrim

Follow me on Twitter: @JackPilgrimKSR

61 Comments for KSR Show Thread: Live from The Basketball Tournament

1. RealCatsFan
    10:05 am July 19, 2019 Permalink

TGIFF – Thank God It’s Friggin’ Friday!!

2. runningunnin.454
    10:12 am July 19, 2019 Permalink

IU fans are animals; nope to home and home.

• RealCatsFan
      10:13 am July 19, 2019 Permalink

Is mashburnfan going to change his handle to macyfan? 🙂

• ClutchCargo
      10:15 am July 19, 2019 Permalink

Mrs_Macy, probably.

10:34 am July 19, 2019 Permalink

IU is terrible now, and has been for years. Look at our record against IU for the last 30 years. It’s very lopsided. There is literally NO BENEFIT to us playing IU. If we beat them, we were supposed to win anyway. If we lose to them, it’s a huge upset. If we play them in Bloomington, we make zero money on the game and have to go out into the middle of nowhere Indiana, where they can’t control their own vile fans. Hard pass.

• runningunnin.454
      10:40 am July 19, 2019 Permalink

People seem to think Cal invented the neutral court thing. Nope, B.Knight and Rupp squared off in ’71 at Freedom Hall. IU had a horse named Steve Downing, and he scored 47 to beat us by one point in 2 OT’s.
      I was there; and, that was the game I saw Rupp after the game and said, Great game, Coach. He glared at me, and said, “What did you like about it”
      I thought, uh oh, and said, it was a great game…he nodded and said, “Yes it was”.

10:43 am July 19, 2019 Permalink

Plus all tournament games are played at neutral sites, and the deeper into the tournament, the bigger the arena. Playing neutral site games early helps prepare our team for the tournament.

3. runningunnin.454
    10:15 am July 19, 2019 Permalink

When are people going to realize the “draft night” thing is for the recruits and their parents. Isn’t this obvious?
    Anyone that thinks Cal is not trying to win ‘ships every year is a fool.
    Kyle should just talk to Cal; Cal would even welcome R. Pitino back to Rupp.

10:37 am July 19, 2019 Permalink

Kyle doesn’t want to talk to Cal. He just wants to whine publicly. People focus on the recruiting pitch, and completely ignore all the times Cal has said he wants to win every game every year. He wants to be the first coach to go 40-0. He wants to win the title every year. The haters ignore all that though because it doesn’t fit their agenda.

4. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:16 am July 19, 2019 Permalink

I can entertain the playing IU argument, but not home and home when their fans are trampling our players. Alternate between The Ville and Lucas Oil Stadium or something.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:18 am July 19, 2019 Permalink

I should have said The Chicken Bucket and Lucas Oil.

• RealCatsFan
      10:22 am July 19, 2019 Permalink

You fry chicken in oil, so kind of fits! 🙂 (Now I’m hungry!)

• ClutchCargo
      10:30 am July 19, 2019 Permalink

I miss the UK/IU series. But at its best, those games were on neutral courts in Louisville and Indianapolis.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:35 am July 19, 2019 Permalink

My wife and some friends are doing the keto diet, and one of the things I’ve learned is how bad seed oils are for you (sunflower, canola, etc.). Along that same line, one of the common seed oils (I forget which one, but canola I think) was originally developed as a lubricant, so yeah, it may be that KFC and Lucas Oil are in business together. Haha.

10:39 am July 19, 2019 Permalink

Cal even offered to play all the games at Lucas Oil, and they wouldn’t even accept that.

10:40 am July 19, 2019 Permalink

Or wait, Bankers’ Life (formerly Conseco Field House). Lucas Oil is the football stadium, isn’t it?

• ClutchCargo
      10:42 am July 19, 2019 Permalink

I think it was Lucas Oil stadium. Go big or go home!

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:42 am July 19, 2019 Permalink

Cal should tell them they have to put up steel bars or those hockey glass walls and then maybe he’d consider coming to Bloomington.

• ClutchCargo
      10:50 am July 19, 2019 Permalink

Maybe Cal would agree to something like this setup: https://youtu.be/RdR6MN2jKYs

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:29 am July 19, 2019 Permalink

LOL. That is great Clutch.

5. ClutchCargo
    10:19 am July 19, 2019 Permalink

I have no problem with Macy having whatever opinion he has. But to go on air and whine like he did is a b1tch move.

• runningunnin.454
      10:27 am July 19, 2019 Permalink

True; but, I guess he was playing to an Indiana crowd. Still, ill advised.

• ClutchCargo
      10:31 am July 19, 2019 Permalink

I didn’t pick up on who he was talking to. Playing to an Indiana crowd makes it worse, imo.

10:38 am July 19, 2019 Permalink

It does make it worse. Way to betray us to our enemies.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:39 am July 19, 2019 Permalink

Exactly Clutch. Even though he was from Indy, he played for UK, not IU. He was at Purdue in the first place, not IU!

Having said that, boy was that 78 team with Macy running things great. The first championship of my lifetime. I’m so glad I got to see them play UGA in Athens that year.

• RealCatsFan
      10:50 am July 19, 2019 Permalink

Yeah, I kind of hate to see this, because Macy, and that 78 team, are what got me hooked on UK basketball when I was a kid.

10:54 am July 19, 2019 Permalink

I wasn’t born yet. Ha ha.

• RealCatsFan
      10:57 am July 19, 2019 Permalink

Dammit J-Dub, stop reminding me that I’m old! Speaking of which, my mom turned 90 yesterday. 🙂

10:59 am July 19, 2019 Permalink

Tee hee! Couldn’t resist.

• runningunnin.454
      11:25 am July 19, 2019 Permalink

Tee hee? It’s called SEASONED.

11:43 am July 19, 2019 Permalink

I’m getting a little seasoned myself. My birthday had a zero in it this year…

• runningunnin.454
      11:48 am July 19, 2019 Permalink

There’s an expression, “Just like fine wine”.

6. J-Dub421
    10:44 am July 19, 2019 Permalink

WOOSH!! Turner just blew by Wojo to score again.

• runningunnin.454
      10:49 am July 19, 2019 Permalink

Billy Packer moment, “What is Magloire doing to Wojo”, ha ha it’s called the “rack”.

• RealCatsFan
      10:49 am July 19, 2019 Permalink

You kind of beat me to it – I was going to say that Matt should as Wayne if he has blown by any dookies lately. 🙂

10:53 am July 19, 2019 Permalink

I still love Dom Hawkins. What a fine young man. He and Turner smack talking each other was fun.

• ClutchCargo
      10:54 am July 19, 2019 Permalink

But to be fair, Wojo just threw his back out trying to slap the floor.

10:56 am July 19, 2019 Permalink

But then he got a chiropractic re-adjustment from Magloire.

• RealCatsFan
      10:56 am July 19, 2019 Permalink

Does anyone else think that Dom sounds a lot like Tony Delk when he speaks?

11:00 am July 19, 2019 Permalink

I don’t know, but I can literally hear him smiling when he talks. One of the happiest kids I’ve ever seen.

• ClutchCargo
      11:01 am July 19, 2019 Permalink

Hawkins and Marcus Lee were two of the players who really stand out in my mind as camp counselors who worked with our group at the father/son camp. Top notch young men, those two.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:28 am July 19, 2019 Permalink

RG, I said the same thing about “The Rack” when it happened! I was a YUGE rasslin’ fan. Not so much now, but I like to watch some of the old school stuff on the YooToob.

• runningunnin.454
      11:33 am July 19, 2019 Permalink

Yep, CG otherwise known as snap, crackle, and pop.

7. J-Dub421
    10:57 am July 19, 2019 Permalink

Sorry, but Kyle can’t trash the crap out of our coach and program publicly, the say “But I still really love Kentucky,” and expect everything to be cool.

10:58 am July 19, 2019 Permalink

*then

8. runningunnin.454
    11:02 am July 19, 2019 Permalink

Hah, that guy carrying around schedules from the ’70’s. I still carry in my wallet the final AP rankings of one of my favorite teams, the Runts in ’66. Numero Uno.
    People act like Texas Western came from nowhere, and it was a huge upset. They were ranked 3rd in the country with a 24-1 record identical to UK.

9. J-Dub421
    11:12 am July 19, 2019 Permalink

Lol, Boogie gets treated like a rock star here still. No wonder he loves UK so much. 😉

• RealCatsFan
      11:14 am July 19, 2019 Permalink

BIG CUZ in the house! He sounds like a lot of fun to talk to. 🙂

11:22 am July 19, 2019 Permalink

I LOVE Boogie. Always have.

• runningunnin.454
      11:23 am July 19, 2019 Permalink

He still loves the program, still returns to UK, keeps up with the teams and the new guys, and his team’s primary goal was to win the championship for UK.
      Any of the trolls want to walk up to him, and call him a liar?

• RealCatsFan
      11:25 am July 19, 2019 Permalink

Dammit!! Friggin phone rang and I got tied up with a customer for almost all of Boogie’s interview! 🙁

• RealCatsFan
      11:28 am July 19, 2019 Permalink

It really sucks that so many people want to make him into the villain. And the same people think Count K is a saint!

11:29 am July 19, 2019 Permalink

DMC keeps it 100. He’s one of the realest, most honest people out there. His UK love is genuine.

• RealCatsFan
      11:37 am July 19, 2019 Permalink

Can you picture how funny it would have been if DeMarcus had been one of the dudes that Prince invited back to his place for a game of pickup basketball?

11:42 am July 19, 2019 Permalink

Can you imagine Prince trying to take a charge from DMC? Ouch.

10. ClutchCargo
    11:42 am July 19, 2019 Permalink

It’s frustrating when you’re talking about something that hits you right in the feels and can’t help but choke up. Ryan and I have that in common. 🙂

11. J-Dub421
    11:52 am July 19, 2019 Permalink

There is almost zero chance that Gunnar Hoak actually starts at Ohio State. That was extreme coach-speak.

12. J-Dub421
    11:56 am July 19, 2019 Permalink

A tiny part of me loves Bobby Petrino just a little for trashing U of L’s football program for several years. Even if Satterfield can rebuild them, it will take years.

• ClutchCargo
      11:58 am July 19, 2019 Permalink

They are going to struggle. The local news keeps showing their players and how hard the new strength coach is working them. Do they seriously even lift?

• DelrayCat
      1:35 pm July 19, 2019 Permalink

56-10 in Louisville. Still can’t comprehend how that was even possible. 🙂

13. ClutchCargo
    11:56 am July 19, 2019 Permalink

That last caller could pass for Dave Ramsey.