KSR Show Thread: A different Oaks Day in Kentucky

No fans are allowed at the Kentucky Oaks this year, but that’s not stopping the KSR crew from enjoying the start of Derby weekend.

With the 146th running of the Longines Kentucky Oaks scheduled for this afternoon, Matt Jones and the gang are set to break down the races, along with the rest of the news in the world of UK Athletics.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

Article written by Jack Pilgrim

Follow me on Twitter: @JackPilgrimKSR

72 Comments for KSR Show Thread: A different Oaks Day in Kentucky

1. Realme
    10:01 am September 4, 2020 Permalink

What do I need to pay to assure I never have to see that picture again?

2. Realme
    10:08 am September 4, 2020 Permalink

People getting on realme’s nerves:
    Those who wear masks alone in their cars.
    Those who wear masks alone in the wide open outdoors.
    People who coordinate their masks with their outfits.

• RealCatsFan
      10:15 am September 4, 2020 Permalink

When I see someone wearing a mask in their car, I immediately give them a wide berth, because they probably drive like they think.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:15 am September 4, 2020 Permalink

Word to the masks in the car when alone. I posted something about that on Facebook and a friend of mine said it’s easier to leave it on sometimes. How? I would think you would at least put it on your chin if you know you have to put it back on soon, like if you’re between stores or something.

• RealCatsFan
      10:17 am September 4, 2020 Permalink

I just let it hang loosely from my ear if I know I am going to have to put it back on shortly.

• Realme
      10:23 am September 4, 2020 Permalink

I have one co-worker who scrambles backwards with terror on her face when you come within about 12 feet. I know I exaggerate a lot, but that is 100% real. I seriously wonder if she stays masked at home, while she sleeps, showers, etc.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:28 am September 4, 2020 Permalink

The people jogging, walking, or riding a bike by themselves wearing masks with no one around is pretty silly too. Again, you can put the mask on your chin if you can’t carry it. It is SOOOOOOOO hot and humid here, I can’t believe anyone would keep it on their mouth and nose outside by themselves but some do.

• ClutchCargo
      10:29 am September 4, 2020 Permalink

Ha! I wish more coworkers would be like that one. And I would never have said that before this spring.

• Realme
      10:39 am September 4, 2020 Permalink

I don’t mind social distancing at all. 🙂 I love not having strangers get too close to me.

• ClutchCargo
      10:43 am September 4, 2020 Permalink

I try not to jump to conclusions about people who wear masks in cars, etc. There are some people who would have been doing that prior to COVID-19 for various reasons, I think. Joggers and bikers wearing masks are probably fair game, though.

3. Laker Cat 18
    10:12 am September 4, 2020 Permalink

Ryan: 6 out of 10.

Drew: 8.5 out of 10.

Matt: P.I.M.P. out of 10.

4. RealCatsFan
    10:16 am September 4, 2020 Permalink

So what’s all this hullabalu about them not playing “My Old Kentucky Home” at the Derby anymore? Seriously?

• ClutchCargo
      10:19 am September 4, 2020 Permalink

I don’t get it. In the news story I saw, the “historian” behind it even says it’s an anti-slavery song. The attempts to erase history are pretty disturbing to me.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:20 am September 4, 2020 Permalink

When all the recent cancelling started, I read here or somewhere that it apparently has a racist verse. I never knew that. I don’t know why you can’t sing it without that (which is what they do anyway), but that’s the times we’re living in. Cowering to a vocal minority. In Pennsylvania someone actually defaced or pulled down the statue of an abolitionist. Crazy.

• runningunnin.454
      10:21 am September 4, 2020 Permalink

I see that Eric Crawford has posted yet another article on the racism of the Derby. We all know the history of the Derby, and the United States; we get it. When is the media going to stop fanning the flames on conflagration? Yeah, join the band wagon, continue to love and promote the strife and division. Back to Rm’s comment…the media get on my nerves.

• Realme
      10:26 am September 4, 2020 Permalink

If no one is there to hear them not play it, did it really not get played?

Yes, it originally had a cringey racist lyric, but of course no one would use that in this century.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:31 am September 4, 2020 Permalink

How is the Derby racist? I’m honestly not into racing but I think the pageantry of the Derby is cool, and of course it’s such a Kentucky tradition.

• RealCatsFan
      10:34 am September 4, 2020 Permalink

“Tis summer, the darkies are gay”, was changed to “the people”. Surprised they didn’t make them change it to “happy” as well. 😉

I agree that the line needs to be drawn at some point. I was somewhat in agreement with removing monuments to Confederate soldiers or people who were known and outspoken racists from public places. But it is not helping the cause to go after any figure in history who may have been a slave owner without examining the context of the times. In Louisville they removed a statue of a man who actually did a lot to promote racial inclusion after he left the Confederacy. It just turns into a mob rule kind of thing.

And yes, the media is going to keep it front and center because it draws eyeballs and keeps people arguing. In that regard, I guess we are part of the problem. 🙂

• RealCatsFan
      10:36 am September 4, 2020 Permalink

cg, for some it is the whole “only rich white dudes are horse owners” thing. This year there is a horse owned and trained by African Americans for the first time, I believe. I actually hope they win.

• runningunnin.454
      10:42 am September 4, 2020 Permalink

Yes, they substituted “old folks” for the bad word. Abolitionist Frederick Douglass on the song, “…heart song, and the finest feelings of human nature are expressed…awakens the sympathies for the slave in which anti-slavery principles take root and flourish”.

• runningunnin.454
      10:52 am September 4, 2020 Permalink

Chris, in the late 1800’s, the majority of the jockeys and trainers were black; then the Jockey Club was formed to license and regulate all jockeys. Eventually, blacks were denied their license renewals. That’s the chief reason for the claims of racism.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:55 am September 4, 2020 Permalink

Golf was considered a white thing before Tiger came along it seems. Maybe those guys will win and do for racing what Tiger did for golf (not likely since his popularity was Jordan-esque, but maybe they do it to some degree).

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:56 am September 4, 2020 Permalink

Well, you guys have given me a great history lesson. Now I know why lawn jockeys are black.

• runningunnin.454
      11:06 am September 4, 2020 Permalink

The first Derby winner, Aristides, had a black jockey. One of the most famous black jockeys was Isaac Murphy; he moved to Lexington, and is considered the first millionaire black athlete. He was the first to win the Derby three times.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:13 am September 4, 2020 Permalink

Wow, a millionaire back then must have been like a billionaire today, or close.

• runningunnin.454
      11:28 am September 4, 2020 Permalink

Not a big racing fan; but, a big Derby fan. I wrote my 7th grade Kentucky history essay on one of the early big upset winners, Exterminator. He was a big lanky awkward horse they called the truck horse and went off at 30-1; this was in 1918, and no, I don’t personally remember it before you go there. Ha ha.

• RealCatsFan
      11:33 am September 4, 2020 Permalink

Saw it posted on FB, so cannot claim it to be necessarily true, but supposedly the lawn jockeys were a way for people to recognize houses that were part of the underground railroad and friendly to black people, or something like that.

• runningunnin.454
      11:52 am September 4, 2020 Permalink

RCF, I have to dispute that; the story is likely not true. People involved in the underground railroad depended on secrecy.

5. ClutchCargo
    10:17 am September 4, 2020 Permalink

When will people ever learn to not pay somebody in advance for work they haven’t done yet?

• RealCatsFan
      10:18 am September 4, 2020 Permalink

It’s sad that it is usually elderly people that they get. Some of those folks may have known better when younger (dementia starting to set in), and sometimes it is a widow whose husband dealt with all the home improvement tasks. People who take advantage of the elderly are the absolute dregs of society.

• ClutchCargo
      10:22 am September 4, 2020 Permalink

It was more a rhetorical question. 🙂 But you’re right. My 76 y.o. widowed mother falls for some email scheme or other about once per year. I’m about to call her to remind her to ignore those stupid text messages going around now. They are getting better at looking legit, since they use your actual first name. One thing she might have going for her is she goes by her middle name, so it’s usually obvious when they use her first name.

• ClutchCargo
      10:25 am September 4, 2020 Permalink

And I have no idea why I felt the need to include that first sentence, RCF. It just pisses me off so much when I hear about elderly people getting taken advantage of.

• Realme
      10:29 am September 4, 2020 Permalink

My mil fell for one of those “your computer is now my hostage” viruses, and used her credit card to pay them to get it back. A friend of mine’s mom was repeatedly sending almost a thousand bucks to a random guy that kept calling and saying he’s her nephew.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:30 am September 4, 2020 Permalink

100 to everything you all said.

• ClutchCargo
      10:37 am September 4, 2020 Permalink

Realme, my mom fell for that virus thing about a year ago and the scumbag was trying to get $600 out of her to fix it. Luckily she freaked out and hung up on him before paying him anything. Then he had the nerve to call back later that day. I just happened to be there and I answered it. He didn’t want to talk to me, apparently.

6. Laker Cat 18
    10:26 am September 4, 2020 Permalink

Drew’s got more hair on his legs than on his face. Crazy how that works.

• Realme
      10:30 am September 4, 2020 Permalink

Ha ha so do I, but I am overdue for a shave.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:50 am September 4, 2020 Permalink

lol RM.

7. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:46 am September 4, 2020 Permalink

What’s the Colonels game or play they were talking about? I heard them say someone had a DVD but then did they indicate that it’s on the web as well?

After even more old games seemed to be popping up on YouTube months ago, I found the game where the Colonels won the ABA championship. I meant to go back and watch the whole thing but never did. I need to look for it again.

8. ClutchCargo
    10:48 am September 4, 2020 Permalink

That Raptors buzzer beater had me (as a Celtics fan) feeling exactly like I did when Christian Watford hit the most memorable 3 pointer in all of IU basketball history. More amusement than anything negative.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:59 am September 4, 2020 Permalink

And both will likely have similar endings…get the upset, but the favorite team will win the one that counts.

• ClutchCargo
      11:04 am September 4, 2020 Permalink

Exactly. Sometimes the other team gets lucky or makes a great play and you just have to tip your hat to them. That won’t keep happening in a 7 game series.

9. ClutchCargo
    11:11 am September 4, 2020 Permalink

I’ve never been a podcast listener at all, but some of the ones I hear about on iHeart during commercial breaks sound interesting.

10. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    11:11 am September 4, 2020 Permalink

Well, the jackhammers/AR-15s are going off and laying shingles again. Ugh. I hope the roofers finish today at least and I don’t have to hear it Monday. I can’t imagine how hot it is up there.

Speaking of that, it’s going to be really hot at the UK/Auburn game, but it would have been even worse if it was a 2:30 kick because they would be starting in basically the hottest part of the day and the temp would not let up until after game time.

• ClutchCargo
      11:15 am September 4, 2020 Permalink

I have known a few people who do roofing. They weirdly seem to prefer the heat because the shingles lay down better. Or maybe that’s just what they tell themselves to feel better about it. lol

Maybe we will get a break with the weather. There have been some cooler than normal days throughout August here. I know it’s hotter in Auburn, though.

• runningunnin.454
      11:18 am September 4, 2020 Permalink

I know of one famous roofer…didn’t like him.

• ClutchCargo
      11:24 am September 4, 2020 Permalink

+1 rg! But be careful or his team of attorneys will come after you for saying mean things about him on the internet and causing people to harass him.

• Realme
      11:28 am September 4, 2020 Permalink

I hope it is crazy hot in Kansas, or Nebraska? Wherever that jerk is.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:36 am September 4, 2020 Permalink

I meant to mention the R-o-o-f-e-r-e-e but forgot. Haha. I figured the dashes were necessary because of the modbot.

• RealCatsFan
      11:36 am September 4, 2020 Permalink

Realme, trust me that he probably never touches a shingle or a hammer.

Yes, the shingles are a little easier to handle, and you need some heat to get the sticky tar stuff on the underside to activate and make the tabs “glue down” so they are sealed and the wind can’t lift them up. But too hot and the shingles tear more easily.

And yes, I have installed a few garage roofs back in the day. I don’t envy those guys one bit. They earn every penny.

• ClutchCargo
      11:46 am September 4, 2020 Permalink

cg, if the R-o-o-f-e-r-e-e ever resorts to s-p-a-m-m-i-n-g it just might cause the modbot to go postal.

11. runningunnin.454
    11:18 am September 4, 2020 Permalink

Gotta love Ryan, poor fellow.

12. Realme
    11:27 am September 4, 2020 Permalink

Petite means short in the world of womens clothing.

• ClutchCargo
      11:28 am September 4, 2020 Permalink

I only know this because my wife shops in that section. Leave it to the KSR guys to not know that, though.

• RealCatsFan
      11:38 am September 4, 2020 Permalink

Yes, unfortunately both of my daughters are intimately familiar with the word. I tell Mrs RCF that it’s her fault they are short, and she tells me that I had a part in it too (I’m 6-foot). I reply that her genes are more obnoxious than mine. 🙂

13. ClutchCargo
    11:31 am September 4, 2020 Permalink

Thanks for the heads up that KY Joe is going to be singing during the next segment.

• Laker Cat 18
      11:34 am September 4, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, I’m out. I assume there won’t be a show Monday, so I’ll see you all on Tuesday!

• Realme
      11:37 am September 4, 2020 Permalink

Yep. Horse race discussion is almost as good as golf for making me sleepy, might as well tune out now.