KSR Show Thread 9/30: Looking back at South Carolina

© Jeff Blake | USATSI

© Jeff Blake | USATSI

Good morning, friends, and welcome to the Monday edition of Kentucky Sports Radio. Today, Matt is in New York, Ryan in Lexington, and Shannon in Louisville to break down Kentucky’s disappointing loss to South Carolina and where the Cats go from here. Tune in for some group therapy.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

100 Comments for KSR Show Thread 9/30: Looking back at South Carolina

1. Realme
    9:56 am September 30, 2019 Permalink

What a blast that game was. SO fun to watch.

11:06 am September 30, 2019 Permalink

I defended Curry almost until the bitter end because I thought he was a good coach that we had stolen from Bama. When he put let Elliot Uzelac Couch in the option, game over for me. He had to go.

I still think he’s a great man, but he wasn’t the great coach I thought he was.

11:07 am September 30, 2019 Permalink

Reply fail. lol

Was meant as a reply to J-Dub below.

• RealCatsFan
      11:40 am September 30, 2019 Permalink

He was a bit like Carter as president. Outstanding human being, but maybe not so great at his job. Part of that might have been that both of them were TOO nice and honest.

2. ClutchCargo
    10:00 am September 30, 2019 Permalink

Group therapy, anyone? Hi, I’m Clutch, and I… um.. I’m a UK football fan who never learns.

10:03 am September 30, 2019 Permalink

Hiiiiiiiiii Clutch. Welcome to the “fellowship of the miserable”.

• runningunnin.454
      10:04 am September 30, 2019 Permalink

Do we have to?

10:04 am September 30, 2019 Permalink

Oh, I just realized I forgot to change my Gravatar away from a photo from an SC win. lol

10:06 am September 30, 2019 Permalink

The fellowship of the miserable kind of makes me think of the chronic complainer part of the fan base, but the name definitely fits.

10:09 am September 30, 2019 Permalink

Ryan’s rant to start the post game made me feel better.

10:10 am September 30, 2019 Permalink

Some former coach coined that phrase. RG, you have quite the encyclopedic knowledge of UK history. Wasn’t it one of our former coaches who coined it in reference to negative fans? For all I know it may not have been original with whoever I heard/read say it, but it was my first time knowing of it.

Of course the internet multiplied all that. I believe when I first heard it the net may not have even been invented by Al Gore yet, although we may have started getting into the sports talk era.

• runningunnin.454
      10:18 am September 30, 2019 Permalink

I believe Curry said that.

10:20 am September 30, 2019 Permalink

That’s what I thought but I wasn’t sure.

10:27 am September 30, 2019 Permalink

Is it fair for a coach to coin such a phrase when he was a huge part of making fans more miserable? 🙂

• J-Dub421
      10:30 am September 30, 2019 Permalink

Bill Curry, the dude who tried to make Tim Couch an option QB…

11:08 am September 30, 2019 Permalink

Okay so I accidentally put this in the wrong place above, so here goes…

I defended Curry almost until the bitter end because I thought he was a good coach that we had stolen from Bama. When he let Elliot Uzelac put Couch in the option, game over for me. He had to go.

I still think he’s a great man, but he wasn’t the great coach I thought he was.

• J-Dub421
      11:22 am September 30, 2019 Permalink

Curry is a very nice man. I just don’t want him ass head coach at Kentucky. He’d be perfect for Louisville or Tennessee though. 😉

• J-Dub421
      11:25 am September 30, 2019 Permalink

Or as head coach. Freudian slip? Lol.

11:33 am September 30, 2019 Permalink

Curry, the football coach = Tubby, the basketball coach. Pretty nice run with a blue blood program, but fell short of expectations, then nothing since. Both are top-notch people.

11:34 am September 30, 2019 Permalink

UofL and UT have had their share of ass head coaches, with mixed results. 😉

• RealCatsFan
      11:40 am September 30, 2019 Permalink

And after the session is over, we go outside and try to kick a football while Lucy holds it for us!

11:49 am September 30, 2019 Permalink

Curry actually did not have a nice run at UK IMO. One bowl game and we lost it and finished 6-6. If only Marty Moore had downed that interception.

But, there were several games that year where if the ball bounced another way once or twice we’re like 9-2, but woulda coulda shoulda.

11:54 am September 30, 2019 Permalink

Alabama is the football blue blood, cg. He did well enough there to be SEC coach of the year, IIRC.

12:02 pm September 30, 2019 Permalink

Lucy outdid herself and let us actually kick it for once last year, only to go back to pulling it away. 🙁

3. 4everUKblue
    10:06 am September 30, 2019 Permalink

Can’t believe someone suggested we hire Urban Liar, his recruits would have to be on a game release program. I would rather we discontinue UK football than hire him.

10:08 am September 30, 2019 Permalink

I have to constantly remind myself that the crap you read on here (especially after a loss and all day Sunday) is not representative of the BBN. But yeah, that was an eye roller if there ever was one. Hell, why not throw Petrino’s name out there. If you’re going to be stupid, go big or go home.

10:12 am September 30, 2019 Permalink

An article on some sports site listed Meyer as a possible replacement for Harbaugh. Can you imagine OSU fans? Haha! That’ll be right up there with Slickie Rickie going to UL.

• J-Dub421
      10:25 am September 30, 2019 Permalink

Never go to the KSR comments section after a loss.

• 4everUKblue
      11:09 am September 30, 2019 Permalink

Great advice, sometimes it’s not even good to go there after a win.

• RealCatsFan
      11:43 am September 30, 2019 Permalink

Probably one of the same dudes who though we should hire Neck Brace Bobby.

4. Realme
    10:13 am September 30, 2019 Permalink

Thank God it’s a bye week. Buy week? By? Bi?

10:21 am September 30, 2019 Permalink

Or is it Bigh?

• J-Dub421
      10:25 am September 30, 2019 Permalink

I think it’s bye-week.

10:27 am September 30, 2019 Permalink

I do too Jdub, but I don’t know why. Are we waving bye bye to football for the week?

10:29 am September 30, 2019 Permalink

Something like that, Realme. Bye, good football season.

5. Realme
    10:18 am September 30, 2019 Permalink

I’m confused why we saw Walker warming up in a previous game like they were going to use him (I don’t remember which game, but Sawyer went to the locker room). And now they proceed as if he isn’t there. Kyle Tucker said he’s a “shell of his high school self”. Poor kid. I don’t see Bowden at QB as a solution, but what the heck else can we do. This is not good.

• runningunnin.454
      10:22 am September 30, 2019 Permalink

Yeah, people want Bowden back there, so he can get crushed by a 390 lb behemoth.
      We knew our secondary was inexperienced and beat up; but, I want to know what happened to our OL and DL. We are getting crushed in the trenches.

10:24 am September 30, 2019 Permalink

I never thought we’d go back to being unable to execute a tackle.

10:26 am September 30, 2019 Permalink

Is the offensive line unable to have its’ &^%$ together without Terry’s leadership? “PITIFUL!”

• J-Dub421
      10:29 am September 30, 2019 Permalink

Thank goodness I was on a date night with the hubby on Saturday and didn’t watch the game. I recorded it to watch later, but then I saw the score and decided to not torture myself.

10:30 am September 30, 2019 Permalink

I quit on it in the second half. It was unwatchable.

10:31 am September 30, 2019 Permalink

Good call, J-Dub. It was Joker era bad. Good thing USC Jr. isn’t very good, or we would have gotten annihilated.

• RealCatsFan
      11:44 am September 30, 2019 Permalink

I immediately hit “delete” on the DVR.

6. Realme
    10:28 am September 30, 2019 Permalink

Benny jr (Chris Rodriguez), Duffy, and Ruffalo are gonna have to save our season.

7. Realme
    10:31 am September 30, 2019 Permalink

I hope Danny Clark and Gunnar are kicking themselves really really hard.

• runningunnin.454
      10:42 am September 30, 2019 Permalink

SS and the team had Florida whipped til the coaches went soft; but, he can’t play hurt; keeping him out there was cruel…to him, the team, and us the fans.
      We have two other QB on scholarship, put one out there; couldn’t be any worse. They would at least get experience going forward.

• cats646
      10:45 am September 30, 2019 Permalink

I wish Danny Clark was still here!

• J-Dub421
      10:45 am September 30, 2019 Permalink

I doubt either of them has the requisite self-awareness.

10:47 am September 30, 2019 Permalink

I don’t Clark or Hoak. I just wish we had a viable Plan C. I’m afraid we’re in for a harsh reality check if Wood ends up playing very much.

10:48 am September 30, 2019 Permalink

*don’t miss

8. Realme
    10:43 am September 30, 2019 Permalink

Someone on Twitter said Hart mentioned the “spicy italian meatball”. That’s a football podcast deep cut.

• cats646
      10:45 am September 30, 2019 Permalink

He also mentioned Asian carp twice! Lol, that was by far the best part of that game.

9. Rod Crandler
    10:49 am September 30, 2019 Permalink

I don’t think attributing so much Smith’s poor play to injuries is accurate.

10:52 am September 30, 2019 Permalink

I don’t know. Did he forget how to play after the Florida game? He has struggled against two consecutive average to bad teams now.

10:55 am September 30, 2019 Permalink

I think it’s both. He passes well when not making terrible decisions, but Saturday was too hurt to be on the field and expect to get anything right.

• runningunnin.454
      10:57 am September 30, 2019 Permalink

He’s obviously hurt; no zip on the ball.

10:57 am September 30, 2019 Permalink

Rod, sorry but I strongly disagree. He was playing very well against UF until he hurt his hand. He hasn’t been the same since.

11:02 am September 30, 2019 Permalink

He has been telegraphing passes from day one. But now he has no arm strength, and is probably afraid of taking a hit. I hope it’s something that can improve with a bye week.

• Rod Crandler
      11:04 am September 30, 2019 Permalink

He did play well against Florida but I also think USCjr learned a few things after watching that game. Listen, I absolutely think his injury is affecting his game but USCjr brought the house on him knowing he’s taking too long to make a decision and that he can easily escape a collapsing pocket. Hopefully he heals up and we can see.

• Rod Crandler
      11:05 am September 30, 2019 Permalink

Can’t escape I meant

11:10 am September 30, 2019 Permalink

It’s even more frustrating to think that we don’t do the same on defense when the other team is vulnerable at QB. We acted like Trask had an EPO out against our defense. Except Kash didn’t get the memo in time. 😉

• RealCatsFan
      11:47 am September 30, 2019 Permalink

I agree that the injury affected accuracy and velocity on his throws, but that doesn’t cause a player to stare down a specific receiver.

10. TPACAT
    10:55 am September 30, 2019 Permalink

I hope the NCAA rules all California teams ineligible.

11:00 am September 30, 2019 Permalink

I don’t know how this will play out, but I will cheer on anyone who defies the NCAA.

• TPACAT
      3:44 pm September 30, 2019 Permalink

I’m not a big fan of the NCAA, but I’m not going to cheer anything they disagree with “just because”. I truly believe this will be the beginning of the end of amateur sports. Be careful what you wish for. I refuse to even watch the spoiled, ungrateful, “look at me” pros anymore. College basketball and football are the only things remotely still palatable and I’d hate to see them go the same way…

• J-Dub421
      11:20 am September 30, 2019 Permalink

I hope every other state follows suit. The NCAA can suck it.

11. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    11:01 am September 30, 2019 Permalink

Barry McKnight (Troy play by play guy & talk show host) made a good point about letting players make money of their likenesses. I’ve never had a problem with the idea, but it’s not without problems. Here’s the scenario he gave: “Hey, Mr. Hotshot can’t miss 5 star QB or #1 ranked bball player, DOOOOOOOOOOON’T go to that school. We have MAAAAAAAAANY more rich alumni than them, and we can get you that Nike deal. Go there and your like will be on Trax shoes and you’ll make about 10 bucks a week!”

For you young’uns who don’t remember, Trax was the K-Mart store brand tennis shoes back in the day. They sported sort of Adidas-esque striping.

11:04 am September 30, 2019 Permalink

likeness…

BTW, I made up the part about Trax shoes, not Barry. But his point has merit. Mr. Rich Booster is calling these kids and schmoozing them like that. I’m still for it in principle, but there can be a lot of unintended consequences.

11:07 am September 30, 2019 Permalink

If there is a way to cheat the system for monetary gain, someone will find a way to do it. Who’s to say somebody isn’t padding the money being made from their likeness? And I’m one who thinks the players should be allowed to benefit from their likeness.

• bouzoukiman
      11:13 am September 30, 2019 Permalink

For us older’uns, here you go…a stroll down amnesia lane…

• J-Dub421
      11:28 am September 30, 2019 Permalink

I have a problem with the NCAA/it’s member schools essentially making money off players’ likenesses, etc., then telling the players they can’t do the same. That’s just bogus.

12. cats646
    11:09 am September 30, 2019 Permalink

I almost forgot. FIRE EDDIE GRAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I’m back on that train again.

11:12 am September 30, 2019 Permalink

How many coordinators do we need to go through? As much as I think Stoops is our guy, when is he accountable for the bad games?

11:12 am September 30, 2019 Permalink

I’m not sure that would do any good. Stoops is the guy in charge of hiring and firing coordinators, and he has said that he and Gran are on the same page. And no, I’m not saying fire Stoops. lol

• cats646
      11:20 am September 30, 2019 Permalink

Lol I’m definitely not gonna say that either clutch. And I’m not even sure I really want Eddie gone. I’m just pissed that we couldn’t even score on that crappy defense we played Saturday.

11:51 am September 30, 2019 Permalink

I forgot you were the FIRE EDDIE GRAN guy from last year. lol
      It got a little old, but it was kind of funny when you would even do it on every bball post, etc.

• cats646
      11:56 am September 30, 2019 Permalink

I actually wasn’t the original lol. I don’t remember who was but I did post it on some basketball posts ha.

13. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    11:20 am September 30, 2019 Permalink

I understand what the caller is saying about freshman QB’s, but Bo Nix is playing pretty well. Trevor Lawrence was pretty good. Tua was pretty good.

I know they’re the exception, but I think some people forget about guys like that.

11:26 am September 30, 2019 Permalink

It’s like comparing our freshman bball players to those of Clemson and Alabama. We’re not getting the guys who can come right in and be an all-American from the start, and that’s not going to change anytime soon.

11:53 am September 30, 2019 Permalink

But we’re not typically getting any QB who can be an AA even as a senior. I didn’t know until today that Wood is as banged up as he is. If he can’t go, he can’t go, but that was a LOT of indecision IMO when they had him warming up and decided not to play him.

11:57 am September 30, 2019 Permalink

The look on his face when they didn’t put him in would have been priceless, if I didn’t feel so bad for him at that moment.

14. runningunnin.454
    11:23 am September 30, 2019 Permalink

Hey, did y’all see Maggie Davis used one of my comments from 3 years ago in her article about Benny Snell?
    Please, no applause, ha ha.

• J-Dub421
      11:40 am September 30, 2019 Permalink

Excellent analysis.

11:47 am September 30, 2019 Permalink

Yeah, I meant to give you a shout out today. Ha!
      The other guy is nowhere to be found (I think), but you’re still standing!
      You also were supposed to say “No autographs, PLEASE!”

12:07 pm September 30, 2019 Permalink

Had to go find it. Nice, and good on Maggie for not sticking to the all comments on here are terrible narrative.

15. Realme
    11:32 am September 30, 2019 Permalink

Actually, we can’t barbeque, Red State commercial read. We’re under a burn ban.

11:39 am September 30, 2019 Permalink

I’ll shut down my smoker when they pry it out of my cold, dead hands. Ha! Actually, my county is somehow not under a burn ban, even though there are scorched areas along the parkways and interstate where there were obviously small brush fires.

• J-Dub421
      11:41 am September 30, 2019 Permalink

Just keep the hose out next to your smoker. Problem solved.

11:44 am September 30, 2019 Permalink

Yep, I have a hose just steps away, and I cook on an area of my concrete driveway that that is a good 20 ft in every direction. I’m still careful not to be “that guy” who catches the neighborhood on fire.

11:46 am September 30, 2019 Permalink

Yeah, I’m pretty sure no one with a backyard grill in Lexington has ever started a forest fire, but okay.

16. RealCatsFan
    11:37 am September 30, 2019 Permalink

JURICH!!!!

17. DavidP19
    11:51 am September 30, 2019 Permalink

I can’t stand Chris Burman. His schtick is soooooo old. His expiration date was 1998. He stole alot from Cosell. Too bad they exhumed that corpse for ESPN+

18. blueblood80
    11:51 am September 30, 2019 Permalink

Is BBN going to abandon Kentucky football at its lowest point? Probably so, based upon the fan turnout for the rest of the games and many of the negative posts I read. Read a great article by Darrell Bird at catspause.com. South Carolina knew we had a quarterback who could not throw a football after the first series. We may not in two weeks either. I bet Stoops and Co. still figure out how to beat everyone on the remaining schedule except Georgia and Missouri and finish 7-5. One dirty quarterback tackle cost us games. Read Darrell’s article, you will feel differently. Be a fan, not a basher!

11:55 am September 30, 2019 Permalink

Maybe a lot of posts are too negative, and some maybe from me. But you have to be honest and say we aren’t looking good at all right now.

11:58 am September 30, 2019 Permalink

Can we not have a negative day or two to get over a terrible effort from the entire team (except Duffy)? Are we supposed to pretend like the last 2 games were against such great teams that our best effort just wasn’t enough? I love my team. I also can be frustrated that they stunk it up Saturday.

• runningunnin.454
      12:50 pm September 30, 2019 Permalink

Thank you for calling that tackle dirty… I said that, and was called “dumb as a rock”.
      That guy knew the horsecollar was illegal, and it was intentional.

• RealCatsFan
      1:42 pm September 30, 2019 Permalink

I feel the same way about the football program right now that I feel about my daughter’s high school volleyball team. I love the kids, but it gets frustrating seeing a lack of effort, fundamentals, and questionable coaching decisions leading to losses and poor play – especially when we have the talent to compete! Yes, we are banged up, but that doesn’t excuse the blown tackles, dropped passes, and 9 men on the field. Clean it up!

19. blueblood80
    12:16 pm September 30, 2019 Permalink

• BluKudzu
      7:28 pm September 30, 2019 Permalink

Pretty sure I am the biggest jerk when it comes to UK football. I will complain and ask questions that make people uncomfortable. Just things I think need to be said.

I promise you I love my Cats. I love the guys that came here to play. I just want them to be successful and feel great about their time here.

I get frustrated with coaching. I do not think we are getting our money’s worth at times. It is what it is. I think we should be better, but then again, I am biased.

Go Cats.