KSR Show Thread 9/3: Jai Lucas, Lincoln County

Good morning, friends, and welcome to the Thursday edition of Kentucky Sports Radio. Today, Jai Lucas, the newest member of the Kentucky Basketball staff, will join the show to talk about his new role and whether or not there’s any news about Patrick Patterson. The gang will also shine the spotlight on Lincoln County, so bring your facts and fun stories, Patriots.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

71 Comments for KSR Show Thread 9/3: Jai Lucas, Lincoln County

1. runningunnin.454
    10:06 am September 3, 2020 Permalink

Boy, the Heat almost blew that one; 6 point lead with 19 seconds left in the game, and they throw it to Jimmy Butler in the coffin corner. Why do they do that? Then, the very next inbounds, they throw it up for grabs like a jump ball. Fortunate they got a friendly call on the last shot.

• ClutchCargo
      11:20 am September 3, 2020 Permalink

I was having flashbacks to some of UK’s struggles to inbound the ball last year. Really hoping for a Celtics/Heat Eastern final.

• runningunnin.454
      11:26 am September 3, 2020 Permalink

No kidding; do not inbound to the coffin corner, UK did that often. Think, guys.

2. Laker Cat 18
    10:16 am September 3, 2020 Permalink

Here are the Cats on teams remaining in the NBA Playoffs:

Bucks – Bledsoe

Heat – Adebayo, Herro

Celtics – Kanter

Clippers – Patterson

Nuggets – Murray

Lakers – Davis, Rondo

I find myself pulling for the Heat and Nuggets based on the participation and the fact they’re not paired with superstars…they ARE the superstars.

• Realme
      10:17 am September 3, 2020 Permalink

Thanks.

10:31 am September 3, 2020 Permalink

I can’t disagree, but I would also like to see The Brow finally win that title he has long sought.

• Realme
      10:32 am September 3, 2020 Permalink

I want to be for AD, but the one game I watched, Lebron was acting like a bratty 5 year old, and it was my, “okay, I hate Lebron” tipping point.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:36 am September 3, 2020 Permalink

Unfortunately for Davis, I’m not a huge LeBron fan. I would “prefer” another team win it with a Cat, but I’m definitely not complaining if Davis gets his!

10:44 am September 3, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, I was sad when AD left the Pel’s. That was my favorite team for a while there when Boogie was a part of it – and Rondo and Miller. Sad that an injury to Cuz screwed everything up, because they were on a roll.

• ClutchCargo
      11:23 am September 3, 2020 Permalink

I like AD, but I’m not cheering for Lebron’s team to win it. I was hoping the Thunder would win last night, but I’m not mad that the team that has a better chance of beating the Lakers advanced. I was working up to being a Pelicans fan when AD and Boogie were looking like a dynamic duo there.

3. Realme
    10:16 am September 3, 2020 Permalink

Why are they acting like fans will think being above 500 in the SEC would be looked at like a failure? Uh, we’re not beating 10 SEC teams in one season.

4. runningunnin.454
    10:16 am September 3, 2020 Permalink

• Realme
      10:26 am September 3, 2020 Permalink

Have been phone alarm only for quite some time. Do not miss those terrible contraptions.

10:40 am September 3, 2020 Permalink

My older daughter is famous for sleeping through alarms, and she put the most annoying, “nuclear alert” alarm tone on her phone that blasts away at full volume. And she would still sleep through it. I sure don’t miss that now that she is at WKU! And I feel a little sorry for her roommate.

• ClutchCargo
      11:25 am September 3, 2020 Permalink

I was always hard to wake up when I was younger, especially college age. Putting the alarm clock across the room didn’t work because I could get up mostly asleep and hit the snooze button and go back to bed.

11:28 am September 3, 2020 Permalink

She can absolutely do that as well. 🙂

11:29 am September 3, 2020 Permalink

I was dreaming one time that I was on a game show and had to hit the buzzer to win a prize. In my dream I was racking up big $$$. Then I woke up and realized that it was my snooze alarm the whole time and I was tired, broke, and 15 minutes late!

• runningunnin.454
      11:35 am September 3, 2020 Permalink

Ha ha, that’s hilarious; last night I dreamed there were two bears in my backyard. Don’t even want to hear the analysis about that one.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:43 am September 3, 2020 Permalink

I dreamed I was eating a 5 pound marshmallow. I woke up and my pillow was gone.

5. Laker Cat 18
    10:25 am September 3, 2020 Permalink

I’ve listened to the podcast that just ran an ad on 630 WLAP. 66 Garage is the name of it. It’s very interesting and vastly underrated. Look it up.

• Realme
      10:29 am September 3, 2020 Permalink

Ooh that does sound good. I hate thinking about life support and people being left on or taken off, but the story sounds great.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:34 am September 3, 2020 Permalink

True story and very sad…I won’t let the whole thing out of the bag, but it’s good to know that he has been identified after nearly two decades of being unknown.

6. Realme
    10:34 am September 3, 2020 Permalink

That is a really good “guitar beat”. smh

7. RealCatsFan
    10:35 am September 3, 2020 Permalink

A bit off topic – it may be overplayed on the radio, but I have always thought that “Kasmir” by Zeppelin is one of the most awesome rock and roll songs in history. The way they worked a full orchestra into the song, the guitar licks, and of course, John Bonham absolutely beating the hell out of the skins. Simply awesome.

My niece used to be in a group called the “Louisville Leopards”. They were a percussion group of grade schoolers and middle schoolers, and they played all types of percussion instruments. They did a really cool version of Kashmir one time, and it got a lot of shares on the web. It eventually found it’s way to Jimmy Page himself, and got some love from him. Pretty cool!

• runningunnin.454
      10:58 am September 3, 2020 Permalink

WoW, that’s awesome; Page rocked.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:43 am September 3, 2020 Permalink

That is awesome!

8. RealCatsFan
    10:36 am September 3, 2020 Permalink

You can’t talk about Tom Petty without mentioning “The Cabin Down Below”.

11:48 am September 3, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, they played it! Great song!

And Shannon is right, it does remind me of a Dwight Yoakam song.

9. runningunnin.454
    10:37 am September 3, 2020 Permalink

Watched “Nevada Smith” starring Steve McQueen on TCM last night; that was a spinoff of Harold Robbins book, “The Carpetbaggers”. Read that in hs; that guy could really spin a yarn. Also read “A Stone for Danny Fisher”…that one was the basis for the Elvis flick, “King Creole”.
    Evidently Robbins was quite the party man; blew through 50 million dollars on decadent parties and o.r.g.i.e.s.

• Realme
      10:39 am September 3, 2020 Permalink

I’ve seen that!

• Realme
      10:39 am September 3, 2020 Permalink

Just kidding.

10:41 am September 3, 2020 Permalink

I may have to cue up “Bullitt” again tonight just for the car chase. 🙂

10:42 am September 3, 2020 Permalink

Those must have been some hellacious parties.

• runningunnin.454
      10:51 am September 3, 2020 Permalink

Didn’t believe you! I’m a big Steve McQueen fan; but, he was playing a half Native American, and he had blonde hair.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:46 am September 3, 2020 Permalink

RG & RCF, did you all see the auction for the original Bullit car? I forget what it went for but it set a record. If I remember correctly, the previous record had been set recently not long at all before that but it went down, and went down hard (shout out to Jersey Red, Pitino’s friend who wrote for TCP back in the day).

• runningunnin.454
      11:53 am September 3, 2020 Permalink

I heard that McQueen wanted to get the car back; but, didn’t offer a price, wanted the guy to just give it to him; yeah, right.

10. RealCatsFan
    10:43 am September 3, 2020 Permalink

If Ryan had become a state trooper, would they make him keep his bullet in his pocket?

• runningunnin.454
      10:54 am September 3, 2020 Permalink

Amazing how often the guys talk about The Andy Griffith Show; difference is I watched it when the episodes originally aired, ha ha.

11:27 am September 3, 2020 Permalink

That and Seinfeld. 🙂

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:48 am September 3, 2020 Permalink

I can’t remember watching the B&W episodes when they originally aired, but I may have. I do remember watching original airings of color episodes (not good) and Mayberry RFD, which it morphed into when Andy left.

Last night we saw the episode where Ernest T. Bass debuted. I asked my wife “Can you imagine how hilarious this was the first time it aired? No one had seen this character yet. I’ve seen him I don’t know how many times and he’s still hilarious!”

11. Realme
    10:44 am September 3, 2020 Permalink

BS! No way Matt can jump start his car.

10:52 am September 3, 2020 Permalink

It would be quite a show if he got the positive and negative cables mixed up.

• ClutchCargo
      11:28 am September 3, 2020 Permalink

I call BS too. If you can jump start a car, you can definitely change the battery. I doubt he can do either.

• runningunnin.454
      11:38 am September 3, 2020 Permalink

Definitely couldn’t change the battery on a Vette. Hint, you can’t just open the hood, and lift it out.

• ClutchCargo
      11:41 am September 3, 2020 Permalink

True, rg. I’m just thinking disconnecting and reconnecting.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:49 am September 3, 2020 Permalink

Even changing a battery is a production these days. It takes so much to get to anything under the hood.

11:50 am September 3, 2020 Permalink

VW Bugs and Porsche 911’s have the batteries under the back seat.

And you can damage the electronics on a lot of new cars if you are not careful with that jump start.

• ClutchCargo
      11:56 am September 3, 2020 Permalink

Yet another reason I love driving a truck. No need to cram everything together to fit it under the hood.

12. RealCatsFan
    10:47 am September 3, 2020 Permalink

They had the UK/dook game from 92 on TV last night. As painful to watch as the ending was, that was a helluva game. Forgot about all the foul trouble we were in, and how many damned FT’s dook got to shoot. 🙁 My daughter watched doucheyboy stomp on Timberlake, and it’s safe to say that she is now a true blue dookie hater. 🙂

10:49 am September 3, 2020 Permalink

The game also made me realize how much I loved John Pelphrey. That guy just had a look in his eyes that said “I don’t care how many stars you had next to your name in HS, I’m gonna kick your ass”. I wish he could find his way back to a role in the program again.

• runningunnin.454
      11:02 am September 3, 2020 Permalink

Too bad he didn’t stomp Feldhaus; wouldn’t have been around for the last shot.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:41 am September 3, 2020 Permalink

Ralph Hacker once said if it had been Deron that Laettner’s ankle would have been broken.

13. RealCatsFan
    10:52 am September 3, 2020 Permalink

I so much need to find that video of Taco Fall learning to swim. We took our dog on the boat last week, and put her in the water (with a doggie ski vest) for the first time ever. I think she may be emotionally scarred now. Not a water dog.

14. RealCatsFan
    11:20 am September 3, 2020 Permalink

It’s hard not to like Jai Lucas hearing him on the phone with Matt.

• runningunnin.454
      11:23 am September 3, 2020 Permalink

Jack wrote a nice article about lucas; but alas, comments disabled. Et Tu, Jack?

15. Realme
    11:36 am September 3, 2020 Permalink

Weatherbug warned me this morning about the ragweed. What a controversy.

• ClutchCargo
      11:39 am September 3, 2020 Permalink

Ragweed is like cryptonite for me. Some years are worse than others, but not too bad this year.

• runningunnin.454
      11:41 am September 3, 2020 Permalink

I’ve been getting alerts about pollen on my phone for three weeks.

• Realme
      11:42 am September 3, 2020 Permalink

You can’t take just one allergy medicine and get by in Kentucky!

• runningunnin.454
      11:47 am September 3, 2020 Permalink

It helps if you occasionally alternate allergy meds.

• ClutchCargo
      12:01 pm September 3, 2020 Permalink

rg, you have so much pollen on your phone that you get an alert? Clean it off! 🙂

16. ClutchCargo
    11:37 am September 3, 2020 Permalink

If they checked during or right after the rain, the pollen could be low or non-existent for a short time. Somebody with allergies wouldn’t get much relief from that.

17. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    11:40 am September 3, 2020 Permalink

The “They’re not boneless wings!” guy was hilarious. It was exactly the kind of thing Andy Kaufman would have done as a work, especially when people were laughing and he turned and glared at them and asked them to not do that.

• Realme
      11:42 am September 3, 2020 Permalink

He was, and that was the most excited comment I think I’ve ever seen Clutch make.

• ClutchCargo
      11:46 am September 3, 2020 Permalink

Ha! I was just so fired up to see a KSR post about it, I couldn’t help myself.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:53 am September 3, 2020 Permalink

Does Long John Silver’s still have those chicken peg legs? I remember my mom saying they’re not really legs, they’re part of the wing (I think). Maybe if that’s true and they’re still on the menu that guy will have LJS in his sights next.

18. Realme
    11:40 am September 3, 2020 Permalink

BRB, off to scream at Matt on the text machine about how only losers would ever order boneless “wings”.

19. ClutchCargo
    11:44 am September 3, 2020 Permalink

I’m with you guys on the “boneless wings.” It hurts my fingers to even type those words together. I really struggle to say it without a look of disgust on my face.

• Realme
      11:45 am September 3, 2020 Permalink

Everyone vote Andrew Christensen this November. Yes I did write his name down.