KSR Show Thread, 9/28: Recapping the loss and looking ahead

Tune in to the KSR radio show to get Matt Jones and Ryan Lemond’s thoughts from everything thing that happened down at Auburn over the weekend. There is a pretty important MLB series coming up too.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

Article written by Drew Franklin

85 Comments for KSR Show Thread, 9/28: Recapping the loss and looking ahead

1. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    9:57 am September 28, 2020 Permalink

Well, I told you all Auburn ain’t Vandy. That’s a good team. On to Ole Miss.

Kudos to Gus for wearing the Pat Dye gear.

• runningunnin.454
      10:11 am September 28, 2020 Permalink

And, Gus said they beat a good team; and, he’s right…just have to stop the turnovers.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:12 am September 28, 2020 Permalink

Yes, and I thought we had a shot, but it just wasn’t our day. I wish I had been wrong.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:21 am September 28, 2020 Permalink

Wish I had been wrong that I really didn’t think we would win I mean.

10:29 am September 28, 2020 Permalink

Congrats on knowing the #8 team is pretty good, cg. 😉

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:32 am September 28, 2020 Permalink

Well, it’s not Mensa stuff, granted Clutch, but you couldn’t tell that reading this site last week.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:34 am September 28, 2020 Permalink

Or by listening to the radio crew talk about Auburn’s loss of defensive talent. I knew Kevin Steele would have them ready. Your point is well taken though. 😀

10:40 am September 28, 2020 Permalink

Just messin’ with you, cg. That’s exactly the kind of thing I would say with a semi-straight face to someone in real life, btw. 🙂

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:57 am September 28, 2020 Permalink

I know. Haha.

2. runningunnin.454
    10:01 am September 28, 2020 Permalink

Well, Saturday was quite the Dog Day Afternoon, huh? I was the dog that saw the rainbow watching our team play their hearts out; but, the play calls of our wizards on the sideline were canine bowel movements. Do they get brain freeze, or what?

10:09 am September 28, 2020 Permalink

Yes, and hopefully Terry was just rusty.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:09 am September 28, 2020 Permalink

RG is a little more punchy than usual after a loss. This is both barrels for him. Haha.

I agree about some of the play calling. The pass and the QB sneak at the goal line? Ridiculous. Terry isn’t the smallest QB, but it’s his first game back and all that, so punch it in with Chris R. Or, if you’re going to do a QB sneak, put Sawyer in. He’s bigger and did it effectively last year. That’s still not my first choice, but it’s better than having Terry run that play in the first game.

• runningunnin.454
      10:12 am September 28, 2020 Permalink

I would have run a sweep wide; if that didn’t work, kick the gimmee FG, and we have the lead at the half.

10:15 am September 28, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, I don’t understand what we were trying to do out there at times. We looked like we were trying to trick Auburn’s defense when we needed to just line up and punch it in.

• runningunnin.454
      10:18 am September 28, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, and I think Terry was hurt on that sneak (did MJ say Stephen Johnson?). Again, when the pass wasn’t there, fall on the ball, and kick the FG.

10:20 am September 28, 2020 Permalink

But we did punch it in with CR. Just do that again and hope the refs are watching the next time.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:22 am September 28, 2020 Permalink

Terry could also do the old Tebow jump pass.

3. cats646
    10:05 am September 28, 2020 Permalink

We need a vocal leader on the team! Why isn’t smoke getting more touches?!!! And also….. FIRE EDDIE GRAN!!!!!!!!!!!!

10:10 am September 28, 2020 Permalink

Agree about the leader thing. Hopefully someone will emerge.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:11 am September 28, 2020 Permalink

I’m with you on Smoke. He’s our best RB, I don’t care what anyone says. How can coaches be so myopic?

10:16 am September 28, 2020 Permalink

They’re not myopic, they’re loyal to a fault, imo. But just use the rbs more in general. That works for us.

• RealCatsFan
      10:16 am September 28, 2020 Permalink

I am both a coach and the parent of a player at the HS level (different sport), and I can see both sides of it. Sometimes we certainly have a different perspective on the sidelines than in the stands. But I agree that it’s maddening when it looks like they aren’t putting a team in a position to win with questionable play calls and player substitutions.

10:34 am September 28, 2020 Permalink

I’m thinking about jumping on the FIRE EDDIE GRAN!!!! bandwagon myself. lol

• cats646
      10:55 am September 28, 2020 Permalink

Lol. I’m telling ya Clutch, idk what it is but why for the love of al things holy do we continue to throw nothing but screens unless it’s a 40 yard bomb?! It makes no sense. Screens never work for us. It’s maddening. And then that pass on the one yard line?!! Blows my mind

11:06 am September 28, 2020 Permalink

Is it possible that Gran is better when he is in an impossible situation and has to get creative than when he has the right balance of personnel? Also, as Twitter reminded me Saturday: Does it make you miss Shannon Dawson? No!

11:09 am September 28, 2020 Permalink

Well, I guess the silver lining is no wildcat formation so far.

11:11 am September 28, 2020 Permalink

Realme, I actually had a similar comment typed out earlier and then deleted it. Gran shows a lot of creativity in doing more with less, but then seems to handcuff the team by still having that mentality when it’s not needed. He has had success at other places, which makes it even more of a head scratcher.

• cats646
      11:13 am September 28, 2020 Permalink

I’ve often thought that realme. And clutch, the Rodriguez touchdown that wasn’t called was wildcat. It is SO Kentucky football that the one time it worked they just don’t let us have the touchdown lol. Also, the play after that, did no one notice the clear face mask on Auburn?? They almost ripped Terry’s head off!

11:16 am September 28, 2020 Permalink

You’re right cats646, I guess I had blocked that from my memory. The one time it works in like 2 years, we still come out on the short end.

4. Realme
    10:08 am September 28, 2020 Permalink

It felt so nice to be sports furious at referees at halftime again. Not unusual for us to start stinky, thank goodness we don’t usually start with a top ten team.

• RealCatsFan
      10:17 am September 28, 2020 Permalink

Yep, it sure would have been nice to have a ‘tuneup game” before this.

10:18 am September 28, 2020 Permalink

I was mad until late in the game when it was obvious we were going to lose. It probably helped that I just went back outside and continued the back breaking landscaping work I did all the rest of the weekend.

10:43 am September 28, 2020 Permalink

Speaking of back breaking, I’m moving like an 85 year old today. Not the good kind of sore, either.

• RealCatsFan
      10:54 am September 28, 2020 Permalink

Ah, the joys of home ownership. I got my fill of it last year moving about 13 tons of river rock. In June. The dog moaned in sympathy from the couch every time I came inside for a drink. 😉

11:05 am September 28, 2020 Permalink

I still have 8 Bobcat scoops of river rock just sitting on my driveway and taunting me. I actually like doing that kind of stuff, but my back has let me down at a bad time. At least I’m working from home and can do whatever I need to do to deal with the back spasms.

5. Realme
    10:17 am September 28, 2020 Permalink

Bossman and Terry were the two biggest twitter talkers all summer. And for me they were the two iffy-est contributors in game one.

• runningunnin.454
      10:20 am September 28, 2020 Permalink

They need to calm Bossman down; trash talking, and getting that silly penalty were unacceptable.

10:22 am September 28, 2020 Permalink

And getting completely owned.

10:23 am September 28, 2020 Permalink

He was running his mouth on Twitter after too. Didn’t think he did anything wrong.

10:26 am September 28, 2020 Permalink

I guess you would rather have a need to calm a CB down than to need to motivate him. But I’m over the “Bossman” BS until I see at least solid performance. And I’m not encouraged by the QB play I saw. I think the timing of this game probably made it look worse than it was. Probably a typical opening game performance, but against the #8 team instead of the Fightin’ EMUs.

• RealCatsFan
      10:52 am September 28, 2020 Permalink

Who is this “Bossman” that you speak of?

10:54 am September 28, 2020 Permalink

Bossman Fat aka Kelvin Josepf.

• runningunnin.454
      10:54 am September 28, 2020 Permalink

I think his name is Kelvin Joseph.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      12:00 pm September 28, 2020 Permalink

Shouldn’t that be Marquan McCall with that nickname?

6. Laker Cat 18
    10:24 am September 28, 2020 Permalink

Here’s my analysis from the very disappointing UK vs. Auburn game:

1. Terry made a few questionable decisions. One was throwing the ball away on the 2-point conversion. As Andy says, “We can’t be doing that.”

2. Joseph. My man, just shut your mouth and play. You got bullied all day and you still talk smack down 2 scores.

3. AJ rose is the fastest back, but our best two consistent running backs are C-Rod and Smoke. They both need more opportunities.

4. We’re back to the point where our punter is once again our best player. And dang is he good at what he does. He’ll be playing on Sundays very soon.

5. Our offensive line is vastly overrated. Maybe Auburn’s defense was underrated? I’m choosing to believe the latter.

6. I’ll be absolutely stunned if we’re even close to .500 for the season. My prediction now is 3-7. We’re just simply not as good as the KSR guys made us out to be before this game.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:31 am September 28, 2020 Permalink

AU’s defense was definitely underrated by some KSR folks. I knew going in people needed to hush about the talent they lost.

7. Realme
    10:25 am September 28, 2020 Permalink

If I had a dollar for every time the stats say we won in almost every way but points.

8. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:27 am September 28, 2020 Permalink

I’m sure Terry had some lack of field awareness on the 2 point conversion because of his layoff. I don’t know.

Either way, for those calling for a QB change, do we even know if Gatewood is eligible? I can’t keep up with all the back and forth. And sorry to be redundant, but don’t forget about Sawyer Smith. I still say he was playing well last year and we win at least 9 regular season games if he doesn’t get hurt. I hope Beau being 2 on the depth chart is because he’s that good, and not because Sawyer is not as good as I think.

10:33 am September 28, 2020 Permalink

Gatewood is not eligible yet. I am ambivalent about Terry. He has a good record here, but the wins were because we had guys like Benny Snell and Josh Allen. I think the throwing away the 2 pt conversion, getting intercepted, fumbling, and decision making were very concerning, but hopefully just a tough first game. After everything Sawyer has been through, do you think he even wants to play? He was playing totally beaten up most of the time, and had some really bad performances. Not sure how much was injury vs. just not being good enough.

9. runningunnin.454
    10:29 am September 28, 2020 Permalink

Odd they played Jimmy Buffett; I saw him open for the Eagles in DC, March 1977. And here is a rare one for you; the ultimate Eagle song, and ultimate Eagle performance by Randy Meisner. You won’t find this on youtu; people post it, and they make them take it down. When he hit the money note at 4:20, the crowd gasped, then exploded and hurt my ears…and I heard 14 women passed out, ha ha,

• RealCatsFan
      10:45 am September 28, 2020 Permalink

Sitting around the campfire Saturday night, listening to music and me with my cold beer and Mrs RCF with her wine. I was picking through some good campfire music and we started listening to some Eagles. I turned her on to “Try and Love Again”, sung by Mr Meisner. She had never heard it before – I was surprised. Great song that never gets any airplay.

• runningunnin.454
      10:52 am September 28, 2020 Permalink

So sad, they treated him awful; you’ll find other songs from that concert; but, not that one…only snippets. The Frey/Henley workaholic tour schedule exhausted him, and he was having health problems, ulcers I think. He was worried about not being able to duplicate that performance, and at one concert, he refused to sing it. He and Glenn almost came to blows.
      I know he’s had a tough time the last few years, and looks terrible. I hope he can find peace.

• RealCatsFan
      11:15 am September 28, 2020 Permalink

So the album “Hotel California” lost out to Fleetwood Mac’s “Rumours” for Album of the Year in 1977. Both outstanding albums by bands who barely kept it together during the production of those albums. Sometimes strife produces great things. What a year in music 1977 was!

• RealCatsFan
      11:19 am September 28, 2020 Permalink

In 1988 a guy was arrested for going around impersonating Randy Meisner. I remember back in the early 80’s there was a guy who was impersonating Rod Stewart, and he was a dead ringer for him. I actually remembered seeing him one time at the Carl Casper show in Louisville. Pretty sure he was arrested for trying to buy a bunch of stereo equipment from the old “HiFi Buys” store in Louisville. (Now there’s a blast from the past!)

10. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:29 am September 28, 2020 Permalink

Oh, and BTW, I guess we didn’t want Bama in T-Town for the 1st game.

11. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:30 am September 28, 2020 Permalink

Wait a minute? Fans can’t wear neck gaiters because they don’t work (and I have seen an article about that)? Wasn’t Stoops wearing one of those Saturday???

12. Realme
    10:39 am September 28, 2020 Permalink

Matt ALWAYS over-hypes the teams before the season starts, and ALWAYS pretends like he didn’t after the season starts.

• RealCatsFan
      10:50 am September 28, 2020 Permalink

Business decision – seriously, he benefits both with the site and the restaurant with a fan base that is excited. Can’t really blame him from that perspective. So take the hype with a grain of salt.

13. RealCatsFan
    10:51 am September 28, 2020 Permalink

Those little pooch punts that Auburn did were infuriating, but a smart thing to do if you can successfully execute it like they did.

14. Laker Cat 18
    10:54 am September 28, 2020 Permalink

Rose – 3.1 yards per carry
    Smoke – 8.9 yards per carry

Seems like an easy decision for me. If they want Rose to catch passes, run a 2 back set or split him out. You’re handicapping yourself by playing him at running back to catch passes.

• cats646
      10:56 am September 28, 2020 Permalink

Yes! Thank you!!

• runningunnin.454
      10:57 am September 28, 2020 Permalink

I’ve seen them run a 2 back set, maybe twice. They also forget you can throw to the TE, lol.

15. Laker Cat 18
    11:03 am September 28, 2020 Permalink

There’s nothing that irritates me more than an average player talking smack. Kelvin Joseph was that guy against Auburn. If you’re going to talk, you better do your job and do it well.

• cats646
      11:15 am September 28, 2020 Permalink

That penalty he got infuriated me. How ridiculous. That guy wasn’t even looking at him lol. He had no reason to shove him.

16. RealCatsFan
    11:20 am September 28, 2020 Permalink

So, on to another subject – our man BAM was an absolute animal last night. And we are assured that a former Cat(s) will be sporting a new NBA ring this year. 🙂

11:28 am September 28, 2020 Permalink

Nothing against AD, but do the Heat have any chance? That would be awesome.

• Laker Cat 18
      11:30 am September 28, 2020 Permalink

I hope the Heat beat the Lakers. Would be huge for the young Cats.

• RealCatsFan
      11:43 am September 28, 2020 Permalink

I’m torn on that one. I really want to see AD get that coveted title, but it would also be way cool for Bam and Tyler to win one. Especially Bam, after the sacrifices his mom made for him growing up. Let’s let The Brow get his long sought title, and next year the Heat come back and get theirs. 🙂

11:44 am September 28, 2020 Permalink

Three former Cats (including Lakers coach or Pat Riley) will get rings no matter what. I love that Bam and Herro are becoming stars right before everyone’s eyes. And I say that as a life-long Celtics fan.

11:51 am September 28, 2020 Permalink

I’m 100% pulling for the Heat, no question at all there. A couple of beloved former Cats, and the team president is an all-time UK great. What’s not to love about that?

• RealCatsFan
      11:56 am September 28, 2020 Permalink

Hey, what can I say, as a Cats fan we really can’t lose. I hope it’s a fun, competitive series that goes all the way to the wire in game 7. America needs the diversion.

17. runningunnin.454
    11:30 am September 28, 2020 Permalink

So they ignore baseball for years; and, now MJ is about to make me cheer against the Reds.

11:44 am September 28, 2020 Permalink

Go Braves! (ew, baseball, yuck)

11:46 am September 28, 2020 Permalink

I feel like Matt already left the Reds for dead during the regular season, and now he’s all in again. Cheer for the Reds in spite of what MJ says, rg!

• runningunnin.454
      11:49 am September 28, 2020 Permalink

Okay, Clutch; for you and Chris.

11:51 am September 28, 2020 Permalink

He did officially quit on them earlier and then change his mind.

11:54 am September 28, 2020 Permalink

Do it for Sparky Anderson, rg. The fans of both teams have him in common.

• runningunnin.454
      11:57 am September 28, 2020 Permalink

Yep, also my Tigers’ manager.

12:01 pm September 28, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, I was referring to my Reds and your Tigers when I said “both teams.”

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      12:03 pm September 28, 2020 Permalink

GO REDS! THE REDS ARE THE BEST!!! Haha.

18. RealCatsFan
    11:45 am September 28, 2020 Permalink

I think Lane Kiffin is kind of in the Bobby Neckbrace mold – knows his stuff, and can be an effective coach, but also an arrogant douchebag and no one feels sorry for him when he gets smacked in the face by karma.

19. Realme
    11:50 am September 28, 2020 Permalink

Cue pro-trump caller, so Matt can say he doesn’t want to make the show about politics.

20. bbn606
    1:50 pm September 28, 2020 Permalink

I don’t understand how our pass defense was so great last year vs looking like we had never seen a football this year.