KSR Show Thread 9/24: Lots to discuss

Good morning, friends, and welcome to the Thursday edition of Kentucky Sports Radio. There’s a lot going on today, so tune in to hear the gang discuss a chaotic night in Louisville, Tyler Herro’s big performance, and Saturday’s game vs. Auburn.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

85 Comments for KSR Show Thread 9/24: Lots to discuss

1. runningunnin.454
    9:58 am September 24, 2020 Permalink

Herro with 37 points, that’s what I’m talking about; kid can play.

10:05 am September 24, 2020 Permalink

Remember when everybody thought he was going to be a 4 year player that a certain segment of the UK fan base could get behind? Somehow, he has turned out to be even better suited for the NBA than college. The game is not too fast, and the stage doesn’t appear to be too big for him.

10:09 am September 24, 2020 Permalink

Yep, and it looks like Butler is finally happy with teammates. Of course, Bam is killin’ it, and Herro is a gym rat. Butler obviously has confidence in Tyler; that Butler pass to Tyler late in the game was beautiful.
      I thought the Heat was going to blow a 9 point lead in less than a minute, though. Refs didn’t help either; what was the call when Tatum was driving on Butler, and shoved him back 5 feet…a jump ball; whaaat?

10:09 am September 24, 2020 Permalink

I switched the radio to ESPN for the last 2 minutes of my commute (local sports show was in a break) and their intro back from a commercial was all the audio clips from the game where they were practically slobbering over Herro. Pretty cool to hear.

• Realme
      10:10 am September 24, 2020 Permalink

Oh yeah, all the experts in our fan base said he was nowhere near ready. And I said he looked like a Duke player when he signed with us. My apologies, he did not deserve that . πŸ˜›

10:16 am September 24, 2020 Permalink

A Dook player? GAAASP Egregious!

10:18 am September 24, 2020 Permalink

But I stand by my statement that we would have hated him if he had been a UK opponent. πŸ™‚

The thing about Butler, he is a competitor and has zero patience with teammates and organizations that are just there to play ball and enjoy celebrity life. He has been on some bad teams and it hasn’t always been a good fit.

10:19 am September 24, 2020 Permalink

Would have loved to see him stay another year, but he obviously made the right decision! Looks like we have pretty good odds of having one or more UK players becoming NBA champions this year, and that is way cool!

• Bluehender
      10:22 am September 24, 2020 Permalink

I love Herro and the way the Heat play the game. Anyone heard the extent of Bam’s injury? He’s an important piece too..

10:34 am September 24, 2020 Permalink

Yep, Bh; and the announcers were saying they should get the ball to Bam against the press. What, they want him to shoot FT’s with an injured hand? Nope.

10:42 am September 24, 2020 Permalink

RCF, a UK alum is actually guaranteed to win an NBA title now, now that you mention it! I sometimes forget about Kanter on the Celtics since he never actually suited up for UK.

10:46 am September 24, 2020 Permalink

Okay, modbot. I’m sorry that I pointed out that it was Bam’s left hand that seemed to be injured. And also that I would want Tyler to have the ball regardless.

• Laker Cat 18
      11:41 am September 24, 2020 Permalink

Shoutout to the Instagram model he took to the Bubble with him. That 100% has to be the key to his success. Look her up.

2. Laker Cat 18
    10:08 am September 24, 2020 Permalink

I will be stunned if Matt talks about AG Cameron’s decision yesterday on KSR this morning like he did on his Periscope last night. We shall see.

10:11 am September 24, 2020 Permalink

What did he say?

• Laker Cat 18
      10:11 am September 24, 2020 Permalink

Matt – Why won’t you talk about it on KSR? You blow smoke about all this other stuff we don’t have a choice to listen to that hits very similar topics, but won’t discuss this to way more listeners than your Periscope? That’s cowardly, bro. It doesn’t fit your narrative I guess.

• Realme
      10:13 am September 24, 2020 Permalink

Sum it up for us, I’m not sitting through minutes of staring at his face to figure it out.

• Realme
      10:15 am September 24, 2020 Permalink

He doesn’t want to do it on here because people will call in and disagree with him.

10:18 am September 24, 2020 Permalink

Rm, you don’t like his “what, me worry” face? Ha ha ha.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:18 am September 24, 2020 Permalink

He went through the legal-side of things and basically said the evidence given warrants the indictment that was handed out. It’s worth the listen honestly. He made very good points, legally. That’s why he is trying to stay neutral on the topic. More people NEED to hear what he said, not just the select few who viewed his Periscope stream.

10:23 am September 24, 2020 Permalink

I think the GJ made the proper decision regarding the charges to the one loose cannon who unloaded his clip into the apartment with no regards to people in nearby apartments. But they could have soothed the AA community by adding additional charges for Breonna and possibly the BF.

That being said, I think a warrant like this against a non-violent offender should be served during daylight hours. And the police should use a bullhorn to announce their presence before busting down the door. Those two things could have easily averted this entire shitshow. And if concerned about them flushing contraband, shut off the water supply beforehand.

• Realme
      10:25 am September 24, 2020 Permalink

We should just call him Alfred from now on, RG. Take that face, and add in some really bizarre facial expressions and hand gestures… I just can’t do it.

10:32 am September 24, 2020 Permalink

They say a GJ will indict a ham sandwich; but, not if the proper charges are not given to them. The charges didn’t address the fact that the police shot the wrong person, and they didn’t address that death.
      Even sportsmen know the no. 1 rule of hunting; know your target, you don’t shoot at movement in the bushes.
      Should have been a manslaughter charge; then the police would have a fair public trial with legal representation, and all the facts would be public. The police might have been exonerated; but, that charge should have been included.

10:37 am September 24, 2020 Permalink

If you think the grand jury did the right thing based on the information , and I agree, then there is no place for additional charges to appease anybody. That’s actually a pretty scary thing to think about. I was on a jury a few years ago when a male HS teacher was on trial for sexual abuse of two 16 yo female students. He had a brilliant defense attorney, and they never denied that it happened, but the attorney picked up on a weakness in one particular juror and successfully argued that it was the girls who targeted the teacher. Long story short, what should have been about 5 minutes of deliberation turned into 5 hrs and a hung jury, with the one holdout. The scary part I refer to is that as dumb as the average person is these days, the jury can be even dumber if the attorneys play their cards right. So if an unfounded charge against a defendant is on the table, the jury might feel ok with convicting just to appease the masses.

• Realme
      10:47 am September 24, 2020 Permalink

The one time I had jury duty, I didn’t get to be on a jury, but the time in jury selection with the questions about how people feel about certain aspects of the case made it abundantly clear that most of the people in the room had no interest in listening to the actual trial and going by the law. There was a woman with a case against a hospital that you could tell the crowd had already decided was being greedy, she didn’t have a chance. Then there was a guy who my husband used to work with, that was guilty as heck of stealing from the company, with clear video evidence, but the jury didn’t care and he got off.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:47 am September 24, 2020 Permalink

I look at this this way:

The way I understand it is that Breonna’s ex was a drug dealer as well as her new boyfriend at the time of the incident. When you’re always sitting at the right hand of a known drug dealer, the level of violence you may experience in life will most likely be elevated. If they weren’t infiltrated in the drug world, this would have never happened. You make your own bed, unfortunately.

With that said, I also see the mindset that if someone busts down my door in the middle of the night, you best believe that you’re going to have a barrel in your face. Even announcing as cops, can you really believe that in the biggest drug area of Louisville? If I’m a shady robber looking to hit a drug dealer, I may go in announcing myself as cops.

It’s complicated all the way around. It’s very unfortunate, sad, and terrifying.

10:54 am September 24, 2020 Permalink

Again, we can rehash what went down and what mistakes were made in the raid, but IMO it goes further up the line and the decision to make that type of invasion to serve the warrant in the first place. If a violent offender had been involved or someone was in danger of physical harm, I would understand it, but that was overkill.

Someone posted a video yesterday from 2018 of a warrant being served that involved at least 3 of the same officers involved in the Taylor raid. In this case they busted down the front door of a residence and fired flash grenades and apprehended the family inside simply because someone had reported that they were selling marijuana. All they found inside was a very small amount of pot, but seriously, THEY BUSTED DOWN SOMEONE’S FRONT DOOR FOR SELLING POT? Seriously? The kids that were there were pretty traumatized. And we wonder why some people have a distrust of the police. Again, my ire is not directed at the officers who were serving the warrant and doing their jobs (I could tell that some of them felt bad for the family), but in the people higher up who allowed this to happen. Better procedures need to be implemented.

There was another incident where a woman who was suffereing from a brain tumor was hallucinating and called 911 saying that her husband had shot her in the head. They arrived, knocked on the door, and when he answered they grabbed him and threw him to the sidewalk, busting his head open. I felt very sorry for the guy, he looked to be in his 70’s.

Again, poor leadership putting the officer on the beat in a bad situation, although in this case I don’t think getting physical was warranted.

11:01 am September 24, 2020 Permalink

RCF, if Senator Tim Scott’s police reform bill had been pushed through, the training that (as I understand it) it would fund might prevent some of these types of incidents from happening, particularly the latter.

11:02 am September 24, 2020 Permalink

BTW, what is GJ? I thought Cameron’s title was Attorney General? Is it a different moniker in Kentucky?

11:02 am September 24, 2020 Permalink

LC, I think the statement that the new boyfriend was involved with drugs is incorrect – at least from reports I have read. What I saw indicated that he had no prior record, was a legal gun owner, and that no drugs or money was found in the apartment. Lots of misinformation out there, hard to tell what’s right or wrong.

11:03 am September 24, 2020 Permalink

cg, GJ=Grand Jury. (too many letters!) πŸ™‚

11:05 am September 24, 2020 Permalink

I still say the manslaughter charge was warranted; the police fired blindly into three apartments, and an unarmed person was killed. That death has to be addressed.
      Perhaps a tactical retreat by the police would have been the wise move.

• Realme
      11:06 am September 24, 2020 Permalink

Breonna should not be dead. Some level of police should have been held accountable for the fact that she is.

11:10 am September 24, 2020 Permalink

Oh, sorry, brain cramp. I thought maybe it was one of those things like “District Attorney” is a slightly different term in some cities or counties.

11:14 am September 24, 2020 Permalink

rg, I think the fact that the City of Louisville settled the civil case for $12 mil is an admission of culpability. But they don’t want to place blame on anyone in particular.

I understand that when an officer gets shot the reaction is to fire back to neutralize the threat, but when 3 cops unload a 10 shot clip it seems like overkill to me. I think the threat was “neutralized” long ago. That is shooting to kill, not to incapacitate.

11:14 am September 24, 2020 Permalink

RG, you might be right, but I really do wonder if the boyfriend used her as a human shield. If she really was shot numerous times and he didn’t get hit once, that’s very suspicious to me. And I don’t care what Matt says, past history had an effect on what happened here.

11:23 am September 24, 2020 Permalink

Chris, had not heard that; but, the U.S. military does not shoot at unarmed human shields to get a sniper; they wait for an open shot. Even the Israeli military doesn’t do that. If a criminal is shooting at police from a crowd on a city street, the police hold their fire for fear of hitting a bystander, and they take cover.

11:29 am September 24, 2020 Permalink

cg, I think that is pure conjecture. I had a neighbor actually argue that she had gunpower residue on her hands. It’s a shame that some people throw out misinformation that sullies her reputation. Not blaming you, cg, and I know she wasn’t a saint, but if she had been used as a shield I am 100% positive the AG would have said so.

• Laker Cat 18
      11:38 am September 24, 2020 Permalink

I agree with misinformation. The media is definitely not helping anything in these types of situations.

11:44 am September 24, 2020 Permalink

That may be RCF. Am I wrong about the boyfriend though? Did he ever get hit?

RG, could the cops even see anything other than a muzzle flash? I don’t know. You make a good point though about snipers.

11:51 am September 24, 2020 Permalink

A lot of the misinformation is not “the media”, but people who run their mouths about something they heard from “somebody” when they don’t even know it is true. Facebook is a perfect conduit for it, as is Twitter.

Correct, the BF was not hit. Don’t know if he ducked back in the bedroom, did some kind of Matrix-like contortion to avoid the bullets, or just got missed by blind luck, but unfortunately Breonna was not so lucky.

Like I said before, she had made questionable decisions dating a guy who was a known bad guy and even aiding him, but by many accounts she had turned the page on that chapter in her life and was trying to start anew. One of her last FB posts was that in 2020 she was going to “get @hit right”. Sad. πŸ™

11:53 am September 24, 2020 Permalink

All that said, there is no bigger supporter of the police than I. Also support law and order, and civil obedience. This was just a botched raid.

3. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:17 am September 24, 2020 Permalink

So Auburn sportswriter appearing on local show just said he expects UK to throw the ball better this year but also expects that their bread and butter will still be lining up and running the ball.

I expect that Auburn’s defense will once again be stout, even with the guys they lost from last year, so I think we’ll have to be able to throw at least enough to keep them honest. We’ll see.

Like I said on the “KSR’s 2020 Football Season Predictions”, it’s a little perplexing that they all (except 1) think we’re beating Auburn yet 4 of the same ones pick us to go 6-4. Auburn isn’t Clemson, but they ain’t Vandy either.

BTW, I think we have a shot against them, and if we win, I’m saying at least 7-3. Get out of here with that 6-4 stuff if you’re putting Auburn down as an automatic W.

10:20 am September 24, 2020 Permalink

Yep, have to throw it, and fool them every now and then.

10:23 am September 24, 2020 Permalink

I think that’s a fair assessment by the Auburn sportswriter. We are always going to be a ball control offense as long as Stoops is here, and we have the defense to play that way, so that’s fine. I just hope we continue the trend of continuing to try to score points when we have a lead in the second half. We did that a few times toward the end of last season.

11:04 am September 24, 2020 Permalink

I agree. Stoops will never be an Air Raid guy, but I would hope he wouldn’t handcuff a QB who has an arm and the accuracy to go with it. Terry definitely has some arm strength. Hopefully he’ll have the accuracy. That’s what I was hoping to see last year but EMU guy takes him down and we didn’t really get a chance to see.

11:09 am September 24, 2020 Permalink

I think it’s possible to throw a lot and still control the ball. We did that a lot of the time when Mumme was here.

• Laker Cat 18
      11:13 am September 24, 2020 Permalink

I’ve said this before…I definitely think the offensive coaches handcuff the QB, specifically on running. You don’t want a QB to run unless he absolutely has to. It will be even more often this season with Terry coming off injury. I also think the guys hinder the tight ends. We should be using those guys a lot more. If there’s one flaw I see offensively, it’s that.

11:26 am September 24, 2020 Permalink

Man, if we could combine Mumme’s offence with Stoops’ defense – wow! (especially with a Tim Couch). and I agree about the tight ends.

4. Realme
    10:21 am September 24, 2020 Permalink

I still don’t have any excitement hitting me. Still numb about it all. I mean, it’s still 2020. We can’t be about to have something fun happen. Seems impossible.

10:27 am September 24, 2020 Permalink

I’m the same way. Getting through one day at a time for so many months has done that to me.

5. ClutchCargo
    10:25 am September 24, 2020 Permalink

I’m over the KSE man crush thing with Romines.

6. RealCatsFan
    10:29 am September 24, 2020 Permalink

That might be kind of a whiney thing for Mack to say, but it’s still not close to being enough to make me hate him. πŸ™‚ And I just can’t see Tyra being as unlikable as Tommy Turtleneck. He just doesn’t have that air of arrogance about him.

• Realme
      10:34 am September 24, 2020 Permalink

He and Satterfield just kind of set a pitiful tone. Can’t hate, yet.

10:50 am September 24, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, I can’t even work myself up to hating those guys. The whining gets more of a smh reaction from me.

10:53 am September 24, 2020 Permalink

Satterfield helped us in that area though when he complained about the Ls down. If he had not done the sign himself we wouldn’t have that awesome GIF to use to make fun of him and UL fans.

10:57 am September 24, 2020 Permalink

I saw an Evansville game years ago when Mack played for them; they were facing a withering press, and coach Jim Crews told his players to throw the ball at the opponents face to avoid a 5 second call.
      Mack threw the ball as hard as he could into the face of a guy standing 3 feet in front of him; I haven’t liked him since…just like the military, some orders are illegal.

11:10 am September 24, 2020 Permalink

At least Jorts just aimed for the solar plexus. πŸ™‚

11:11 am September 24, 2020 Permalink

Maybe he should have thrown it at his groin. Haha.

11:26 am September 24, 2020 Permalink

I think Jorts was a champion dodgeball player, ha ha.

7. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:37 am September 24, 2020 Permalink

It’s because (in part) we have the best O line coach in the country!

8. Realme
    10:41 am September 24, 2020 Permalink

Cubelic is one of very few media paying close enough attention to give UK football credit. It’s refreshing.

10:52 am September 24, 2020 Permalink

Yes. I dig him. He’s pretty good on his radio show too (Three Man Front) on 690 WJOX in Bham and pumped into one of the local stations here.

• JTHinton
      10:59 am September 24, 2020 Permalink

He’s an auburn guy, too, so I would assume he knows that roster better than most in the media

11:09 am September 24, 2020 Permalink

Yep, definitely.

9. ClutchCargo
    10:54 am September 24, 2020 Permalink

Hay bales are not 100 lbs, fellas. smdh

10:56 am September 24, 2020 Permalink

Depending on the moisture, it very well could though. My bad, carry on…

• Realme
      11:02 am September 24, 2020 Permalink

I’d like to see them trying to throw one either way.

11:06 am September 24, 2020 Permalink

I was multitasking (badly) and was thinking about the weight of straw bales, even though I did manage to type hay. 95% chance that if Matt did manage to throw it, he or at least his gloves would go with it. πŸ™‚

• Realme
      11:08 am September 24, 2020 Permalink

The exertion and the allergens would really get that nose whistle going.

11:08 am September 24, 2020 Permalink

Have to give it that old steroid jerk, ha ha ha.

11:09 am September 24, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, a couple years ago I was putting down grass seed and needed some straw. A neighbor said she had a bale she wasn’t going to use and I could just come down and get it. That thing was completely waterlogged and had grass growing out of it. took everything I had to move it, and I am not a little guy!

And those great big round ones that they stack out in the fields? Better have a forklift for those dudes!

11:47 am September 24, 2020 Permalink

Well done Realme! It’s been a while since we’ve had a clever nosewhistle joke.

10. ClutchCargo
    11:12 am September 24, 2020 Permalink

Anybody ever been to the town of Bitten? lol

11:15 am September 24, 2020 Permalink

Is it near Transylvania? πŸ™‚

• Realme
      11:16 am September 24, 2020 Permalink

Is that where the Bingles come from? Are there a lot of Kittens there?

11:19 am September 24, 2020 Permalink

(insert crying laughing emoji here)

11. ClutchCargo
    11:22 am September 24, 2020 Permalink

Don’t know if it’s the best in KY, but there are two pretty good mini golf courses at Kart Kountry in Shepherdsville.

11:25 am September 24, 2020 Permalink

HaHa, me and my redneck buddies got banned from Kart Kountry years ago for going Dale Earnhardt on the go-cart track. I t-boned my buddy and ran another buddy through the ditch, and he put me into a pile of tires. Great fun! They told us to never come back. πŸ˜€

11:28 am September 24, 2020 Permalink

Haha! Putting somebody in the pile of tires used to be my favorite tactic, but it’s highly frowned upon.

12. Realme
    11:29 am September 24, 2020 Permalink

Not Harold, 2020! Don’t you dare.

13. ClutchCargo
    11:31 am September 24, 2020 Permalink

Aw, man. Hate to hear Harold is not doing well. I was literally holding my breath when it sounded like Matt was about to announce that he had died or something.

11:53 am September 24, 2020 Permalink

Sigh, the Year Of Sadness continues. πŸ™

14. Realme
    11:55 am September 24, 2020 Permalink

Please make Matt stop talking about mountain biking. It’s not like you ride up Mt. Everset.