KSR Show Thread 9/24: Live from Flemingsburg

Good morning, friends, and welcome to the Tuesday edition of Kentucky Sports Radio, which is coming to you live from Louisville and Flemingsburg. Tune in to hear the gang recap Mark Stoops’ comments yesterday, including the news that Matt Ruffolo will take over kicking duties, and hear the latest adventures from Matt’s tour across the state.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

79 Comments for KSR Show Thread 9/24: Live from Flemingsburg

1. Realme
    10:12 am September 24, 2019 Permalink

Sue Grafton / Barbara Kingsolver. Same thing, apparently.

2. runningunnin.454
    10:15 am September 24, 2019 Permalink

I heard Bill Self just released a cover version of the old Bobby Fuller Four song,
    “I fought the law and the law won”.

• runningunnin.454
      10:17 am September 24, 2019 Permalink

How about Eric Burdon and the Animals,
      “No Self Pity”

10:17 am September 24, 2019 Permalink

Sounds like he’s going with the effective Deny, Lie and Be Uncooperative strategy. Smart guy.

• RealCatsFan
      10:21 am September 24, 2019 Permalink

I’m sorry, but as much as I want to believe Matt that Kansas is going to get the smackdown, after the UNCheat fiasco, I will believe it when I see it.

Oh, and what about that little tie-in with Zion that everyone is ignoring???

• RealCatsFan
      10:21 am September 24, 2019 Permalink

Realme, that strategy has been demonstrated to be effective in both sports and politics…

10:24 am September 24, 2019 Permalink

Self’s assistants will be hammered at most. Somehow he will be fine. And why does Matt think Louisville wont be punished much more? THEY WERE ALREADY ON PROBATION! And Arizona and LSU also deserve all the level ones.

• J-Dub421
      10:44 am September 24, 2019 Permalink

All these schools deserve to get smacked down, but I’ll believe it when I see it. The NCAA has long been wildly inconsistent in its enforcement.

• ClutchCargo
      10:46 am September 24, 2019 Permalink

Solid point, RCF. Zion’s name was mentioned when this first became a story, and now it’s as if the media has scrubbed his name from any mention in the news. I don’t really care about KU, I want to see dook get theirs. Which, of course, we all know will never happen.

• J-Dub421
      10:52 am September 24, 2019 Permalink

Maybe the NCAA will make a strong *ss offer of a show cause to Will Wade.

• Southky
      11:19 am September 24, 2019 Permalink

Enough said!! I think my point is proven!! I’m sorry. I didn’t realize Matt Jones gave y’all ownership of this show thread. Kinda unbelievable he created this whole thing for the “regular” commenters. Sorry, I didn’t realize it was an exclusive club and I don’t measure up to the high standards you have set. I’ll just wait for scraps from your tables.

• J-Dub421
      11:31 am September 24, 2019 Permalink

You have no actual point. You just want to cry about some stuff and feel persecuted. Anytime you’d like to actually join a discussion, please do.

• Southky
      11:37 am September 24, 2019 Permalink

J-Dub421 my dear lady, you aren’t my mother or my authority but you can strut and preen about how you put me in my place. I’m sorry I invaded your personal sanctuary that is this show thread and questioned your authority on what can be discussed and in which manner.

• J-Dub421
      11:40 am September 24, 2019 Permalink

Oh please, SouthKy deliver to us you great wisdom!!! Talk about anything you want.! I wait with baited breath….

• StillBP
      11:41 am September 24, 2019 Permalink

Hey nimrod southky you just told them to stop talking about Terry/sawyer but here you are crying about regulars telling people what they should/should not discuss. Ironic much?

11:42 am September 24, 2019 Permalink

You literally came here, more than once now, to tell US what WE can discuss and in what manner. That’s why we didn’t like it. Also, I am an intermittent faster and am hangry at this hour, so bad timing for you to try and boss me around. 🙂

• J-Dub421
      11:44 am September 24, 2019 Permalink

Still waiting…. What would you like to talk about?

• Southky
      11:45 am September 24, 2019 Permalink

Jdub I have realized your superiority to me!! Please accept my apologies! I will never question your authority on this thread again. I will now humbly retreat to my modest abode my Queen and let you continue with your reign over the peasants who follow this thread.

• J-Dub421
      11:46 am September 24, 2019 Permalink

So, you have nothing and just came to attack me. Got it.

• Southky
      11:50 am September 24, 2019 Permalink

I think you have proven my point. Now I think we see why there are only 10 or 12 “regulars.”

• RealCatsFan
      11:54 am September 24, 2019 Permalink

OK, I’ll try to play nice. Southky, what town in southern Kentucky do you live near? Just curious and trying to start polite conversation.

• Southky
      12:13 pm September 24, 2019 Permalink

RCF I am from just south of Somerset. Look, I meant nothing personal towards any of you. I just voiced an opinion and paid the price for it! Lol. That’s fine, I have pretty thick skin and believe it or not I am supportive of the Cats vocally and through buying tickets to games.

• 206Bones
      1:19 pm September 24, 2019 Permalink

How bout the Allman Bros: Whipping Post

3. wildcat pastor
    10:18 am September 24, 2019 Permalink

Where are you in Flemingsburg?

10:22 am September 24, 2019 Permalink

I think they said Dairy Queen.

4. Realme
    10:31 am September 24, 2019 Permalink

Little weird that people called him Terry Turnover. Now that we have the guy who throws it to the other team and into triple coverage on the regular, what are they calling him? (I think Sawyer will be fine, for the record).

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:37 am September 24, 2019 Permalink

I agree on all points, and it’s still hard to remind myself that you are a female with that pic of the Big Dog as your Gravatar. Haha.

• runningunnin.454
      10:39 am September 24, 2019 Permalink

Wish nothing but the best for SS. They need to stop calling for the side line passes and the passes to the flat; they are a pick six waiting to happen. Throw it downfield…kind of like a punt, right?
      He also needs to stop staring down his receivers.

10:40 am September 24, 2019 Permalink

I was Cal making a really bad attempt at 3 goggles for a long time, but I guess Coach Marrow is another level. 🙂

• Southky
      10:43 am September 24, 2019 Permalink

Y’all gonna have to let it go. Terry is done for the year. Sawyer is the guy now. I guess it wasn’t fair to criticize Terry’s play but Sawyer is fair game?? By the way I am critical of some in game decisions but I won’t personally criticize either kid.

• ClutchCargo
      10:47 am September 24, 2019 Permalink

You seem really defensive of Smith, Southky. Not that I disagree with what you are saying.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:48 am September 24, 2019 Permalink

Yeah, I remember that one. I also pictured you as a guy for the longest time. I guess I tend to do that anyway on a sports site. Stereotyping at it’s best, but I have to remind myself of how many ladies I see at games who are into sports way more than my wife and daughter. Haha.

10:49 am September 24, 2019 Permalink

So it’s okay to defend Sawyer, but not okay to defend Terry? No one is personally attacking anyone. It’s okay to talk about ways in which a player needs to get better. Do you mind that we don’t love Chance Poore’s success rate? Is that also something you need to butt in and tell us what we can’t discuss? Bring something to the table besides coming here out of nowhere to fuss at people who weren’t talking to you.

10:50 am September 24, 2019 Permalink

Yeah, Chris, it’s easy to assume a sports blog commenter is a guy until you know otherwise. I was so excited when I learned Jdub and BP were ladies.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:53 am September 24, 2019 Permalink

Southky, I’ve said a few times that neither guy is exactly Trevor Lawrence or Tua (using different words). Neither is perfect, and I hope Sawyer’s shoulder and hand are okay. He didn’t seem the same after he hurt his hand against UF.

• J-Dub421
      10:53 am September 24, 2019 Permalink

We’re the KSR lady brigade! 😉

• Southky
      11:04 am September 24, 2019 Permalink

There are a couple of you folks who think you own this comment section and are the authority on who is a fan or not. I think you all know who I’m talking about, and undoubtedly both of you will come back with a smart a&$ comment. It’s kind of funny but also kind of sad how hypocritical and holier than thou y’all are. SMH

• runningunnin.454
      11:08 am September 24, 2019 Permalink

The Scottish Black Watch was called the “Ladies from Hell” by the Germans in WWI. Realme is firing up the Warpipes, ha ha.

11:10 am September 24, 2019 Permalink

There are 10-12 long term show thread regulars, who own it equally. It is hard to get why someone who hasn’t been here just showed up and decided to police us. If that makes you happy, go for it I guess.

11:10 am September 24, 2019 Permalink

I like it, RG!

• ClutchCargo
      11:13 am September 24, 2019 Permalink

If you haven’t noticed, Southky, we tend to discuss things in this thread instead of just yelling at each other. So don’t get your panties in a bunch when you come in here attacking people and it gets challenged. Like I said, you are very defensive for no apparent reason.

• J-Dub421
      11:20 am September 24, 2019 Permalink

SouthKy, literally no one on this thread has personally attacked either you or Sawyer Smith. Enjoy your martyrdom, though.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:21 am September 24, 2019 Permalink

Southky, I don’t know which ones you are singling out, but I often call out commenters who are obviously not UK fans. I’ve already forgotten his screen name, but a constant negative Nellie used to call us “Positive Cheerleader Policy” or something like that. lol

We don’t own this thread, but several of us try to keep it from being personal toward players and coaches. I may not always be good about it. I don’t feel good about our football team right now, but I never want to be guilty of saying “Player so and so is a piece of crap” or anything like that.

RG, I had forgotten that about the Scottish brigade. That is awesome!

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:21 am September 24, 2019 Permalink

Police…

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:25 am September 24, 2019 Permalink

Oh, and Southky, it seems it was Realme’s comment at the start of this thread that you are responding to. Did you bother to read her last sentence?

• Southky
      11:32 am September 24, 2019 Permalink

Oops!! I left a comment above meant for this conversation. Like I said, point proven. I didn’t attack a single one of you “owners” of this show thread. I didn’t know your exclusive club wasn’t accepting new members.

• StillBP
      11:37 am September 24, 2019 Permalink

Let me see if I’m correct here: southky is telling us what to talk about but then angry that some regulars think they can tell people what to talk and… Did I get that correct?

• RealCatsFan
      11:39 am September 24, 2019 Permalink

Southky, welcome aboard. I am happy to see someone else on the thread, so long as they post up stuff that is intelligent, balanced, and not unfairly targeting someone, either player or poster. Sorry to see things get started on a sour note. Take some time to get to know us “regulars”, and maybe you will enjoy (and participate in) the conversations. We are kind of the red headed stepchildren of KSR now that Matt only looks at Twitter.

11:39 am September 24, 2019 Permalink

We actually love getting new regulars, just prefer ones that are here to discuss, not fight. The reason we feel like we “own” it, is because this was abandoned by the guys doing the show years ago. We’re literally just talking amongst ourselves. They even tried to take it away from us once, and we fought to get it back. It genuinely does feel like it’s ours. Please join us any time you want to just converse about any topic. Even making your case for Sawyer would be welcome, just do it like an adult.

5. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:35 am September 24, 2019 Permalink

Matt is thinking of an 80s Rindecella song (Cinderella…Archie Campbell used to say it backwards when doing a comedic telling of the story…Rindecella also “slopped her dripper”).

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:35 am September 24, 2019 Permalink

Well, I just heard another song played by Shannon that I guess is the one MJ was thinking of. I never heard that one.

10:41 am September 24, 2019 Permalink

I don’t know, I just would like to never have to listen to Matt sing again.

6. runningunnin.454
    10:44 am September 24, 2019 Permalink

Why do we go to same guy two, three straight plays? Bowden caught one long pass, and we followed it up with 2nd and 3rd consecutive plays to him.
    If Rose has a nice run, I can bet he will get the ball on the very next play. Very predictive.
    Mix it up a little, and let the guys catch their breath.

7. Heavy C
    10:46 am September 24, 2019 Permalink

Forget it. Kansas will come out Squeaky clean….you can mark it down. Look at the Miller situation in Arizona. Supposedly had him on a call discussing payments in detail….NOTHING. You think they’re going to do anything to Self? Ain’t Happening.

• RealCatsFan
      11:39 am September 24, 2019 Permalink

You are very possibly correct, but I hope not.

8. runningunnin.454
    10:52 am September 24, 2019 Permalink

Johnny Cash sang “The Ballad of Ira Hayes” about a Native American that was among the six Marines that raised the flag at Iwo Jima.
    He appeared as himself in “Sands of Iwo Jima” with John Wayne.

• RealCatsFan
      11:40 am September 24, 2019 Permalink

Neat factual tidbit, RG. (BTW, where did the term “tidbit” come from?)

• runningunnin.454
      11:53 am September 24, 2019 Permalink

Don’t know,
      ?

• grammarpoliceUK
      5:00 pm September 24, 2019 Permalink

One of the flag raisers was from Hillsboro in Bath County RG.

9. Realme
    11:20 am September 24, 2019 Permalink

Madness camp out used to be on my bucket list, but it doesn’t seem appealing anymore.

• J-Dub421
      11:26 am September 24, 2019 Permalink

I’m too old to willingly sleep on the ground anymore. Lol.

11:27 am September 24, 2019 Permalink

I would totally sneak home and take showers.

• ClutchCargo
      11:31 am September 24, 2019 Permalink

I have never understood why people camp out for Madness tickets. I would much rather wait a couple of weeks and go the blue/white game and see some actual basketball being played.

• J-Dub421
      11:37 am September 24, 2019 Permalink

For the tradition, and the spectacle. It was fun to go to back when I was a student.

• RealCatsFan
      11:42 am September 24, 2019 Permalink

The fact that they seem to be going out of their way to discourage has taken some shine off the apple as well. The areas where you can pitch a tent get smaller every year. I think having the athletes and coaches coming around and mingling with the fans has appeal, and just hanging out with fellow UK fans could be fun, but I’m too old (and busy) for it now.

11:44 am September 24, 2019 Permalink

I always worry that something bad will happen during the early morning stampede on the first day.

• ClutchCargo
      11:56 am September 24, 2019 Permalink

Maybe an old-timer here, but that’s a pretty young tradition. When I was in school in the late 80’s/early 90’s, the doors were open at Memorial on the night of Madness, and people just walked right in without tickets. I was in the band, so I’m not 100% on the ticket thing. I just know there was no camping out.
      Maybe that’s why I don’t get it.

10. runningunnin.454
    11:21 am September 24, 2019 Permalink

Don’t see why anybody thinks we have to pass 40 times or run 40 times per game. And, that goes for Coach, as well.
    I like to mix it up, make the defense guess…got to fool them sometimes.

11:25 am September 24, 2019 Permalink

Agree. They make it sound like they can’t just go with what’s working in any given game. Or, like you said, try not to be completely predictable.

11. J-Dub421
    11:27 am September 24, 2019 Permalink

I forget Nebraska exists and is a thing most of the time.

• runningunnin.454
      11:31 am September 24, 2019 Permalink

We stomped Eastern Michigan; they beat Illinois by 3 points, Nebraska beat Illinois by 4 points, and they receive votes in the coaches poll.
      We lose to SEC teams, and we don’t get any votes….OK, whatever.

• RealCatsFan
      11:43 am September 24, 2019 Permalink

The name “Nebraska” still has cache’ in football simply because of the run they had decades ago. Kind of like Indiana basketball.

• J-Dub421
      11:47 am September 24, 2019 Permalink

Nebraska hasn’t been good since the early 90’s.

12. runningunnin.454
    11:43 am September 24, 2019 Permalink

Listen to this guy; one player never “loses” the game…can’t even blame the FG kicker.
    Take a perfect storm to lose a game. Sheesh.

13. RealCatsFan
    11:52 am September 24, 2019 Permalink

Prayers for the young man Matt mentioned with cancer. May the Lord heal him and give him and his family strength.

Cancer in kids is simply the most unfair thing in the world.

Along those lines, I read a very sad story last week about a nine year old girl here in the state who was riding her bike on her birthday and had a tragic accident that took her life. She had a spill on her bike, and the brake lever on the handlebar punctured an artery in her neck. Her mother found her and carried her back to the house. How horrible and tragic! Those folks need our prayers too.

11:57 am September 24, 2019 Permalink

Just heartbreaking. Well said.

• ClutchCargo
      12:01 pm September 24, 2019 Permalink

That’s not far from where I live, and my neighbor is an elementary school teacher in that district. Just unimaginable how devastated her family must be. Prayers, most definitely.

14. RealCatsFan
    11:56 am September 24, 2019 Permalink

Ha! Ryan had to say it, and it is true – Chance Poor does bear more than a passing resemblance to Grayson Allen. Now I feel even worse for the kid!

• ClutchCargo
      11:58 am September 24, 2019 Permalink

I have thought that about his resemblance to that guy, and I hated myself for even thinking it. You are right, though.