KSR Show Thread 9/23: Hello Marion County, Home of Anthony Makayla Epps

Today KSR’s County Spotlight heads to Marion County, the home of one of the most talented families to ever wear Kentucky blue, the Epps. Anthony played in a pair of National Championship games, winning the title in 1996, but is his daughter actually the better ball player? Makayla was an All-American for Matthew Mitchell that finished her career ranked fifth in program history in points scored and seventh in assists.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

77 Comments for KSR Show Thread 9/23: Hello Marion County, Home of Anthony Makayla Epps

1. runningunnin.454
    10:03 am September 23, 2020 Permalink

Maybe if this covid thing would go away, I could see the Eagles in concert. Glenn Frey’s son, Deacon, and Vince Gill are touring with them. Maybe going back to their early roots. Gill had a long successful country music career, and has won more CMA awards than any other performer, and has recorded several bluegrass albums. But before that, he was with a group not unlike the Eagles, Pure Prairie League; maybe you remember this one,

• RealCatsFan
      10:19 am September 23, 2020 Permalink

Great song! I had completely forgotten about that one. Adding it to my dinosaur 70’s playlist. πŸ™‚

• runningunnin.454
      10:24 am September 23, 2020 Permalink

Funny thing; I play rhythm guitar, and you can find the lyrics and chord changes on any song you would want online. Usually they include the guitar breaks and solos; but not on this one. It just says “Guitar break…GOOD LUCK”. HA HA HA.

10:26 am September 23, 2020 Permalink

Vince Gill is one of my favorite performers of any genre. Total guitar god and living legend.

• runningunnin.454
      10:40 am September 23, 2020 Permalink

How about that long hair…hippie! Had to lose that for the country career.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:41 am September 23, 2020 Permalink

RG, you never told us you play guitar (that I remember anyway). That explains your vast encyclopedic knowledge of music (although your knowledge is vast & encyclopedic generally).

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:43 am September 23, 2020 Permalink

RG, tell that to Chris Stapleton and Willie Nelson. Haha.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:47 am September 23, 2020 Permalink

And yeah, I remember PPL. Weren’t they from Cincinnati?

Also, Is iad na Reds an chuid is fearr!

• runningunnin.454
      10:47 am September 23, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, when I was five, my parents informed me it was time to learn an instrument. I wanted the guitar; but, they said no, and I suffered through formal piano training from age 5 through 17.
      That did give me the music foundation for when I picked up the guitar on my own. Worked in a pharmacy part-time, and saved up for a Martin D-28.

10:58 am September 23, 2020 Permalink

I wish we could see a picture of 5 year old RG.

10:59 am September 23, 2020 Permalink

I feel for you, rg. Piano lessons, when you don’t even want to do it, suck. But a side benefit is that it makes it easier to learn other instruments.

• runningunnin.454
      11:01 am September 23, 2020 Permalink

No, you don’t; ugly, and just got bigger.

11:05 am September 23, 2020 Permalink

I was forced into piano lessons too, but I think the teacher got tired of me not practicing or improving, so it ended after a year or so. That’s why RG became a brain surgeon and I got a sociology degree.

• runningunnin.454
      11:14 am September 23, 2020 Permalink

My last piano teacher had a few problems with me; she had a masters in piano and organ, I wanted to play rock n roll, and she insisted on Mozart, Chopin, Brahms etc. She also wanted me to play the organ…and I absolutely drew the line on that.

• RealCatsFan
      11:20 am September 23, 2020 Permalink

If I could go back to childhood I would learn how to play an instrument. I wish I knew how to play something. Always wanted to play drums. My hat is off to anyone who can play guitar. How you can make so many different sounds from one instrument is both mysterious and fascinating to me. My BIL is an absolute virtuoso on guitar. I could watch him play all day. He plays a mean electric guitar – used to be in a regional touring band called “Tyler” back in the 70’s/80’s, and later in a cover band who played around daVille in the late 90’s.

11:23 am September 23, 2020 Permalink

Plink plink plink plink plink plink plink – plink plink plink plink pliiiink-pliiiink. That’s child me playing Good King Wenceslas.

11:25 am September 23, 2020 Permalink

After a few years of piano lessons, I picked up trombone and played all the way from 7th grade through college. I got good enough by high school to put myself through UK tuition-free, so it was all worth it.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:34 am September 23, 2020 Permalink

RCF, don’t forget a lot of those sounds are possible because of foot pedals and stuff, not just the guitarist. But I digress.

2. Realme
    10:20 am September 23, 2020 Permalink

Makayla’s mom passed away recently. Her tweets were so sad.

• RealCatsFan
      10:26 am September 23, 2020 Permalink

Sorry to hear that. So much sadness in the world lately. πŸ™

3. ClutchCargo
    10:20 am September 23, 2020 Permalink

The KSR conspiracy theories are out of control. There is no way the SEC goes through all of this because of UK football.

10:24 am September 23, 2020 Permalink

Right, over one player that is explicitly not a starter. “But try to think of another explanation, you can’t.” Um
      M, bureaucracy.

10:25 am September 23, 2020 Permalink

*ignore that extra M

10:30 am September 23, 2020 Permalink

Usually, typos don’t change the meaning and don’t need to be explained or corrected, but I was genuinely confused by the extra M. lol

10:35 am September 23, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, if I can’t make any sense out of it, I can’t expect y’all to.

4. Laker Cat 18
    10:22 am September 23, 2020 Permalink

Anyone got any comments that need moderated this morning? I’m bored at work.

10:24 am September 23, 2020 Permalink

I frequently have comments that need moderating, but sometimes I just delete them before clicking “submit comment.” πŸ™‚

• RealCatsFan
      10:26 am September 23, 2020 Permalink

RealCatsFan ducks and hides…

10:28 am September 23, 2020 Permalink

LC, I listened to Room 20 (66 garage) yesterday. Do not feel any better about the life support / vegetative state situation. I am my parents medical poa or representative or whatever, and their wishes are clear, but I sure hope that I don’t ever have to act on that.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:28 am September 23, 2020 Permalink

Clutch – It’s okay, I can see them before you hit submit. *Shaking my head*

• runningunnin.454
      10:31 am September 23, 2020 Permalink

Here you go, LC; $#^^(&%#@%^&…can’t touch this!!! YU&^$#$*()&TYUOJG!!!

• Laker Cat 18
      10:31 am September 23, 2020 Permalink

Realme – That’s a great podcast.

10:34 am September 23, 2020 Permalink

RG, we try to watch our language around here, lols.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:42 am September 23, 2020 Permalink

LC, you are truly Bad Luck Schleprock. My very first 3 or 4 comments today got moderated and they were, again, totally innocuous.

5. Laker Cat 18

4A #9 Knox Central at 5A #7 Southwestern

5A #3 Frederick Douglass at 5A #6 Scott County

5A #9 North Bullitt vs. 6A #4 Manual

6A #1 Trinity vs. 6A #5 St. Xavier

6. Realme
    10:31 am September 23, 2020 Permalink

Matt must read the show thread, he has been practicing saying Kenton instead of Kitten.

10:35 am September 23, 2020 Permalink

I would hate to have to stop making Kitten jokes.

• runningunnin.454
      10:36 am September 23, 2020 Permalink

Well, then; he won’t be bringing up any home improvement topics, car maintenance, firearms, animals, arguments with random persons, UFO’s, ghosts, wardrobe, music
      etc etc etc.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:48 am September 23, 2020 Permalink

Hee Haw!

7. Realme
    10:31 am September 23, 2020 Permalink

No, Bohana.

10:34 am September 23, 2020 Permalink

Huh? Maybe I missed something.

10:36 am September 23, 2020 Permalink

Caller couldn’t remember #95’s name, and Matt of course knowingly corrected him with Bohannan.

10:38 am September 23, 2020 Permalink

Of course I misspelled it though.

10:41 am September 23, 2020 Permalink

Ok. I have learned through decades of experience as a UK football fan to expect the worst, and I thought maybe something had happened to Bohanna.

8. Bluehender
    10:44 am September 23, 2020 Permalink

I’m with Ryan. I refuse to be on Facebook..

10:45 am September 23, 2020 Permalink

Same. I used to be, it was gross.

10:48 am September 23, 2020 Permalink

I refused to be on it for a long time, then I was on it for a few years. Now I refuse to be on Farcebook and realize I had it right the first time.

10:52 am September 23, 2020 Permalink

It actually started to make me dislike real-life friends. That was it for me. I don’t suffer fools gladly anyway, and normal people kind of turn into fools on there.

10:57 am September 23, 2020 Permalink

People were so fake (my life is PERFECT everyone!) and preachy and good grief the fake stories they would pass around. I miss a couple people I only had contact with through FB, but it was so annoying.

11:02 am September 23, 2020 Permalink

Haha! I may create another account just so I can delete it again. So liberating.

• RealCatsFan
      11:04 am September 23, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, I initially got on it mainly because the younger members of my family were using it for wedding and birth announcements and other family “news”, and I was always in the dark. But it eventually turned into a monster with hundreds of friend requests, some from people I barely knew. Then the political stuff really started getting thick a few years ago. It has recently deteriorated to the point where I have people trying to send me political videos via messaging. That’s pretty much the last straw. It’s a cesspool.

11:06 am September 23, 2020 Permalink

Hee haw Clutch.

• Bluehender
      11:07 am September 23, 2020 Permalink

It’s a horrible cancer. Particularly because of politics..

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:36 am September 23, 2020 Permalink

Clutch quit FB because people were so bad, and RM quit because people were too perfect. Haha.

11:40 am September 23, 2020 Permalink

Fake perfect. I’ll give you an example. One of my 2 high school bffs was constantly bragging about her perfect family and her perfect life in Alaska. Meanwhile, her sister was messaging me about her abusive husband forcing a sister wife on her and how the grandparents were in the process of taking her kids away.

And don’t even get me started on my mother in law!

11:55 am September 23, 2020 Permalink

Damn, Realme, that’s some crazy stuff. Mine were merely annoying.

• RealCatsFan
      12:04 pm September 23, 2020 Permalink

Mrs RCF gets together with her high school friends about once a month. I call it the “desperate housewive’s club”. Most of them have the same fakey FB posts that realme described. When she gets home, she breathes a sigh of relief at our bland, boring lifestyle. Two of them were married to abusive drunks, others have big time problems with their kids, etc. Only 1 or 2 of them who seem grounded and normal.

9. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:48 am September 23, 2020 Permalink

I can’t believe they put Demolition above the Road Warriors BTW. Demolition was a straight ripoff of the Road Warriors’ look and gimmick.

10. runningunnin.454
    11:20 am September 23, 2020 Permalink

So, here’s the thing
    UK 21
    Aubum 17

11:21 am September 23, 2020 Permalink

I would take that and like it.

11. ClutchCargo
    11:20 am September 23, 2020 Permalink

After yesterday’s ST, I just went ahead and ordered a Mole Eliminator, which arrives today. Moles have been put on notice that I’m not forking around anymore.

• RealCatsFan
      12:01 pm September 23, 2020 Permalink

Clutch is starting up his own NFAC against the moles. πŸ˜€

12:04 pm September 23, 2020 Permalink

Ha! Well played.

12. runningunnin.454
    11:25 am September 23, 2020 Permalink

Excuuuuse me; that is John Fogerty’s Proud Mary.

13. Realme
    11:28 am September 23, 2020 Permalink

I don’t remember how many clubs you’re allowed, but my FIL used to traipse around with like 19 in his bag.

11:49 am September 23, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, he’s only 5 over the limit. But who’s counting?

• Bluehender
      11:59 am September 23, 2020 Permalink

It’s ONE of the dumb rules of golf. Why can’t we have any number of clubs in the bag. If we all have 20, then so what?

• RealCatsFan
      12:00 pm September 23, 2020 Permalink

Did his golf bag have a boom box built into it like Rodney’s?

12:03 pm September 23, 2020 Permalink

I don’t have a problem with that rule. I guarantee you the average golfer can’t reliably hit or even need the 14 clubs in their bag.

• Bluehender
      12:07 pm September 23, 2020 Permalink

That’s true Clutch. I could probably get by with 8-10. But I’d like to have one more wedge…I don’t know why

14. runningunnin.454
    11:41 am September 23, 2020 Permalink

So, ncaa approved Sarr’s transfer 2 months ago,and sec is going to screw us!

11:51 am September 23, 2020 Permalink

Jerks.

15. ClutchCargo
    11:52 am September 23, 2020 Permalink

Poor Tyrod Taylor. First he’s named after a car part, then the team doctor can’t even give an injection without puncturing a lung.

• Bluehender
      12:01 pm September 23, 2020 Permalink

Lol..

16. runningunnin.454
    11:56 am September 23, 2020 Permalink

If they’re bringing in all the firepower, they know the decision will not be popular. Sad.

17. RealCatsFan
    11:59 am September 23, 2020 Permalink

We just helped unload a truckload of equipment. Driver mentioned that he has to go back to the terminal in West Louisville and make deliveries in the downtown area. Told him he best hustle over there before 1:30 pm. I hope I’m wrong, but it sounds like things might get ugly in daVille. πŸ™

• Bluehender
      12:04 pm September 23, 2020 Permalink

…and how many people are coming in from out of town to incite violence? I hope and pray calm heads will prevail but I don’t trust outsiders who just want to stir the pot.