KSR Show Thread 9/22: Magoffin County Spotlight

Good morning, friends, and welcome to the Tuesday edition of Kentucky Sports Radio. Today, the gang will discuss Mark Stoops’ comments from yesterday’s press conference and radio show, Saturday’s game vs. Auburn, and what could be a chaotic day in Louisville. They’ll also shine the spotlight on Magoffin County in the eastern part of the state.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

79 Comments for KSR Show Thread 9/22: Magoffin County Spotlight

1. Laker Cat 18
    10:09 am September 22, 2020 Permalink

So Louisville is back into “State of Emergency” status leading into the AG’s decision in the Breonna Taylor case.

• Realme
      10:13 am September 22, 2020 Permalink

Hope it turns out to be overly cautious.

• runningunnin.454
      10:14 am September 22, 2020 Permalink

Lordy, Bless the people of Louisville today.

10:14 am September 22, 2020 Permalink

I wouldn’t read too much into that. It’s just an administrative thing LMPD has to do to have all hands on deck in case it becomes necessary. More telling, to me, is Beshear getting ready to deploy the National Guard and KSP, since he has supposedly been in discussions with the AG.

• Realme
      10:16 am September 22, 2020 Permalink

I find the idea that the whole country is watching should matter annoying. If I see #AllAyesOnKentucky too many more times, I’m going to spite vote for the Turtle.

• RealCatsFan
      10:19 am September 22, 2020 Permalink

Welp, zapped by the modbot, and I wrote absolutely nothing inflammatory. Not interested in typing it all again.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:20 am September 22, 2020 Permalink

RCF – Your comment is awaiting moderation.

10:21 am September 22, 2020 Permalink

There is only one way there won’t be riots IMO, and that is prayer. James 5:16 – “The effective, fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much.”

• RealCatsFan
      10:23 am September 22, 2020 Permalink

LC, those are the words that strike fear into every show-threader.

• runningunnin.454
      10:24 am September 22, 2020 Permalink

LC strikes yet again, ha ha.

10:48 am September 22, 2020 Permalink

Wow, I have had 2 innocuous comments moderated. *sigh*

2. ClutchCargo
    10:19 am September 22, 2020 Permalink

This “gentlemens’ agreement” discussion is so KSR.

• Realme
      10:25 am September 22, 2020 Permalink

I’m not following his logic that if he gets approved next week, it proves the agreement took place. Why would Auburn not helping us have him ready before game one merit an agreement.

10:25 am September 22, 2020 Permalink

I just tuned in late because an Auburn sportswriter was on local show. I didn’t hear anything we didn’t already know about the game. “UK is strong at the line of scrimmage, we’ll have to see about their QB play”, etc. etc. He did address Auburn’s porous O line but I didn’t catch what he said.

3. Laker Cat 18
    10:19 am September 22, 2020 Permalink

We should form a Gentleman’s Agreement to evict the city of Louisville from the state of Kentucky.

• RealCatsFan
      10:22 am September 22, 2020 Permalink

There are some good parts of the City of Louisville, but being the largest city in the state, its problems are going to be bigger too. That being said, it’s time for a change of leadership.

10:22 am September 22, 2020 Permalink

A lot of Louisvillians see themselves as better than the rest of the state, so that might actually work.

10:26 am September 22, 2020 Permalink

Just my opinion, but I think the cheerleader style of being the mayor of Louisville might have worked while Abramson was around. But sweeping real problems under the rug just to maintain appearances has always been a problem for Fischer, and now it’s all coming to a head.

4. Realme
    10:21 am September 22, 2020 Permalink

I’m also annoyed at the constant insinuations by some media that every time a transfer takes an unreasonable amount of time to be approved, it’s because UK didn’t get the paperwork in fast enough. If that’s the case, time for UK to get their shit together. Can you tell I’m grumpy today?

• runningunnin.454
      10:27 am September 22, 2020 Permalink

I’m grumpy after reading the article on Sarr yesterday; have to have two years of eligibility left is complete nonsense.

10:32 am September 22, 2020 Permalink

But isn’t it possible that Wake Forest or Auburn dragged their feet in getting stuff turned in?

• RealCatsFan
      10:32 am September 22, 2020 Permalink

I had not seen that article, so I had to go find it. Are you kidding me? Is that some kind of arcane rule that someone dusted off? Anything at all possible to screw UK. 🙁

• Realme
      10:33 am September 22, 2020 Permalink

If so, they are not gentlemen. But people like Goodman imply it’s always on our end.

10:34 am September 22, 2020 Permalink

Well I’m grumpy (but recovering) from having the in-laws as house guests for a long weekend. My tongue is bitten halfway off by now.

• Realme
      10:36 am September 22, 2020 Permalink

Oof, I would have needed a day off to recover.

10:39 am September 22, 2020 Permalink

That’s what I should have done. Instead, I spent yesterday being an irritable grump a good part of the day.

11:25 am September 22, 2020 Permalink

Drew pointed out on another post that Travis & Sestina were grad transfers and Sarr isn’t. I had forgotten Sarr isn’t, but still, they must have two years of eligibility left? It seems to me a guy that has two years left hurts his old school by transferring more than the guy who only has one left, doesn’t he?

11:26 am September 22, 2020 Permalink

Hey, my revision got through! They usually don’t.

5. RealCatsFan
    10:21 am September 22, 2020 Permalink

Hey, I remember reading the “Encyclopedia Brown” stories when I was in grade school. I liked them because I was a science nerd back then.

• Realme
      10:23 am September 22, 2020 Permalink

I read Nancy Drew and the Sweet Valley Twins Then they got older and it became Sweet Valley High, lol. Why can I easily remember that, but not what happened a week ago?

10:29 am September 22, 2020 Permalink

Encyclopedia Brown was one of my favorites as a kid!

6. runningunnin.454
    10:22 am September 22, 2020 Permalink

Can’t blame Coach; backing up ten and punting has been my policy a few times.

7. RealCatsFan
    10:27 am September 22, 2020 Permalink

yeah, Louisville looked like they had adopted the infamous UK “missing man” formation on defense the other day. 😉

• Laker Cat 18
      10:31 am September 22, 2020 Permalink

I can’t knock Louisville’s defense too bad after our issues with Florida a couple years ago.

10:41 am September 22, 2020 Permalink

The UF game was a couple of isolated incidents that happened at the worst possible time. UofL has done this for entire games repeatedly and doesn’t seem to be any better at defense than they were last year.

• Laker Cat 18
      11:15 am September 22, 2020 Permalink

Maybe the Card defense is just trying to socially distance from the guy with the ball.

11:17 am September 22, 2020 Permalink

In these unprecedented times, they are doing their part to keep everyone safe. 🙂

11:27 am September 22, 2020 Permalink

It was our revolutionary U-n-c-o-v-e-r T-w-o defense.

11:27 am September 22, 2020 Permalink

Hey, another revision got through! 2 for 2 today! Take that, robot!

8. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:34 am September 22, 2020 Permalink

That wasn’t The Kinks was it? I thought it sounded like the Weird Al “Yoda” parody of “Lola”, but I’m working so…

9. RealCatsFan
    10:35 am September 22, 2020 Permalink

“Research Raccoon”? So does it “do research” in your garbage cans after it gets done doing research for you?

I am dealing with a groundhog invasion under my garage. So far I have trapped and relocated 3 of them. I filled in the hole 2 days ago and this morning it is dug out again. Grrr. Does anyone have Carl Spackler’s number?

• Realme
      10:45 am September 22, 2020 Permalink

Is it 3 or is it one that keeps coming back? It’s nice you’re trying not to kill them.

10:46 am September 22, 2020 Permalink

I have been battling moles for the past several months. The one and only time I have had any luck was when I smashed down an area of tunnels one evening and then came back out just at the right time to see one opening it back up. I stomped that sucker and at least got on the scoreboard, but they seem to be hiding and laughing at me when I set a trap. Granular repellent is my next move, so we will see. It supposedly works for moles, voles and gophers. Not sure if there is something like that for groundhogs.

• RealCatsFan
      11:01 am September 22, 2020 Permalink

Try the “mole eliminator” trap. Works really well. I don’t have a problem anymore.

• RealCatsFan
      11:02 am September 22, 2020 Permalink

We took them about 4 miles away to release them, so I would be amazed if it’s the same ones. Friend of mine used to trap the “trash panda’s” and he would spray paint their tail orange to make sure he wasn’t catching the same one. ?

• runningunnin.454
      11:03 am September 22, 2020 Permalink

When I was in high school, farmers actually paid me pretty dang well to shoot groundhogs that were eating their crops. You just click off the safety of the .243, they hear it and stand straight up…not smart.

11:11 am September 22, 2020 Permalink

RCF, I tried the Tomcat version of that type of trap, no luck. I think my soil type might prevent it from working the way it’s supposed to. I may try the Mole Eliminator if the repellent doesn’t do it. And I like the all metal construction. Maybe it will hold up better than the Tomcat did when I slammed it on the ground in a fit of mole-induced rage. lol

11:28 am September 22, 2020 Permalink

Some people actually eat groundhogs.

11:29 am September 22, 2020 Permalink

And raccoons.

10. runningunnin.454
    10:37 am September 22, 2020 Permalink

Hey Chris; I understand why Ronstadt went to Billboard 100 pop; but, I preferred the old country standards early in her career. Can’t beat LInda plus Hank. Story I heard was that when he went to Acuff Rose for a contract, they wanted to make sure he could actually write songs, and didn’t steal them. They gave him a scenario and 30 minutes to write a song…he wrote this one in 15 minutes,

10:47 am September 22, 2020 Permalink

I’ve heard that story.

BTW, (ATTENTION RCF ESPECIALLY!!!) my mechanic works on cars for Bocephus (Hank has a farm near Troy, AL). Once when I dropped my car off there was Hank Junior’s classic Dodge Daytona or Plymouth Superbird. I forget which, but it had that raised spoiler on the back. I wish he would have let me take it for a spin. Move over Ferris Bueller garage attendant guys!!! Haha.

He said once Bocephus came to pick up a car, and his shop was swamped with folks once he was seen. My mechanic said nicely “Hank, you’ve shut down my shop. Your guy (his publicist or something) needs to do this from now on.” The garage is in downtown Montgomery so it’s not like he has a big huge parking lot out front. Just the opposite. Haha.

• RealCatsFan
      11:11 am September 22, 2020 Permalink

They made about 500 of the Dodge Daytona and just under 2000 Plymouth Superbirds back in 1969/70. Since the cars had the extended nose and the huge rear wing, they weren’t real good sellers. There were stories about them sitting on used car lots unwanted during the gas crunch in the 70’s. You are looking at $500k or more to buy one now. Where’s my time machine?

• runningunnin.454
      11:18 am September 22, 2020 Permalink

I had a Roadrunner in the early ’70’s. Probably told this one before, I think, but I wish I had kept it. Not to mention the fact that the kid that bought it was killed while racing it.
      Saw a Superbird with a for sale sign on it a few years ago. I stopped to look at it; but, the guy had messed with it, and he had put the battery on the back floorboard. People are so foolish.

11:29 am September 22, 2020 Permalink

No kidding RCF! I think those cars are very cool. I love the classic Chevelles and some other Chevys, but I think Dodge/Plymouth wins the award for the muscle car era.

11:30 am September 22, 2020 Permalink

I had forgotten that story RG. That is very sad.

• RealCatsFan
      12:03 pm September 22, 2020 Permalink

The kid my brother hung around with up the street had a way cool 70 Roadrunner GTX 440. I loved that car, and when he was killed in a wreck in it when I was 13, it was like I was losing my hot rod hero. 🙁

11. Laker Cat 18
    10:46 am September 22, 2020 Permalink

I guess I’m going to get Sling TV this week to be able to watch the UK games. Are there any other recommendations better for streaming live tv for the price? All the prices have went up, but I think Sling is still the cheapest.

10:49 am September 22, 2020 Permalink

I’ve heard Philo is a cheaper alternative, but I haven’t looked into it.

10:51 am September 22, 2020 Permalink

How much is Sling?

• Laker Cat 18
      10:53 am September 22, 2020 Permalink

Depends on the package…I’m going with the Orange I think (the one that includes all ESPN’s) for $30/month plus $10 sports package that includes the SEC Network. That’s still better than paying over $60 for YouTube TV or Hulu.

• Realme
      10:53 am September 22, 2020 Permalink

Sling is cheapest (except for like Philo or whatever where you can’t get SECN), but last time I looked, I would have had to buy enough packages to get Walking Dead and SECNetwork and dvr that it wasn’t cheap any more. And they didn’t have all the networks. Youtube has the best coverage, but they are up to like $60.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:55 am September 22, 2020 Permalink

I just looked up Philo…I like it because it has A&E and AMC, big fan of both of those and other carriers rarely have both in one package. But I don’t see the SEC Network. That’s a deal-breaker for me at least til after the season is over.

10:57 am September 22, 2020 Permalink

I switched to Hulu this summer so I could get Fox Sports Ohio when MLB got going. Not happy at all with Hulu, so I’m dropping that at the end of the month. YouTube TV is a little more than the others, but it’s still the best service for us, and it’s not cable or satellite.

11:32 am September 22, 2020 Permalink

I’m still paying too much for cable. The wife has finally started to at least listen to possible alternatives, but at one time, no sirree.

11:41 am September 22, 2020 Permalink

cg, it took some time, but my wife came around to the idea of (literally) cutting the cable. The thing I like about YouTube TV is it is about the most like cable interface, but without a contract, cable boxes to rent, etc. You can have as many devices as you want connected at no additional cost. I thoroughly enjoyed trying out my new cordless reciprocating saw by cutting down the mounting post of the Directv dish. 🙂

12. Realme
    11:08 am September 22, 2020 Permalink

I mean, that is an amazingly kind deed, but KSBar isn’t THAT great.

13. RealCatsFan
    11:13 am September 22, 2020 Permalink

The no jump ball thing is funny, but you should see what they are doing to take the place of the handshake under the net at volleyball games. They have the girls line up on each side of the net and wave at each other. “Hey neighbor!” ?

14. RealCatsFan
    11:14 am September 22, 2020 Permalink

I am waving the white flag for the modbot. Everything I type gets zapped. I fired off a letter to Tyler to beg for forgiveness. Then I figured out that it goes away if I log off and then log back in.

• Laker Cat 18
      11:14 am September 22, 2020 Permalink

And Boom goes the Dynamite!

• Realme
      11:22 am September 22, 2020 Permalink

I haven’t been moderated in months. Let’s see if that jinxed me.

• runningunnin.454
      11:50 am September 22, 2020 Permalink

Hard to believe, Potty Mouth, snicker snicker.

• Realme
      11:52 am September 22, 2020 Permalink

I know, ironic!

• runningunnin.454
      11:59 am September 22, 2020 Permalink

You go, girl.

15. RealCatsFan
    11:17 am September 22, 2020 Permalink

Shannon thinks a musket is from WWI? really? Um, more like Revolutionary War.

• runningunnin.454
      11:21 am September 22, 2020 Permalink

Well, well; add firearms and weapons to the list…a rapidly growing list.

11:30 am September 22, 2020 Permalink

I know a lady who once tried to add oil to her car through the dipstick tube.

• runningunnin.454
      11:52 am September 22, 2020 Permalink

Better pack a lunch; sounds like an all-day job.

16. Realme
    11:52 am September 22, 2020 Permalink

Ha ha Matt thinks he’s such a football expert now for having the ESPN show.

17. runningunnin.454
    11:59 am September 22, 2020 Permalink

Well said, Matt…hoping for the best.