KSR Show Thread, 9/21: Tune in to KSR now!

The late OH Napier once sang, “Turn on your radio, it’s time for Kentucky Sports Radio.” You should do that right now to hear Matt Jones, Ryan Lemond and Shannon The Dude recap a busy weekend in sports, and more.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

Article written by Drew Franklin

83 Comments for KSR Show Thread, 9/21: Tune in to KSR now!

1. runningunnin.454
    10:04 am September 21, 2020 Permalink

Thanks to RCF for the Eagles video Friday; hard to find videos of early live performances, I guess due to internal strife in the band. I found this one featuring the original members before Don Felder joined the band. BTW, the a cappella snippet at 22:50 is from the British folk song, “Silver Dagger”. Joan Baez recorded that on her 1960 debut album.

10:12 am September 21, 2020 Permalink

That Eagles video was awesome! Here is another one with Linda Rondstadt singing “Silver Threads & Golden Needles” with them:

And yes, I had a crush on her like virtually everybody else.

10:13 am September 21, 2020 Permalink

And I forgot to say that Don Kirshner’s Rock Concert was one of the best shows ever. I had forgotten that VH1 reran it back in the 90s. I wish I had it on DVD. If it was streaming out there somewhere I would be tempted to pony up for a pay streaming service for the first time.

10:20 am September 21, 2020 Permalink

Wow, another great find RG! I have to make time to watch that one and RCFs in toto. Who was in Don Felder’s place before he joined?

I know that’s a newer video, but I’m still surprised it doesn’t have more views. It’s been up for a few months. It also has 0 comments.

• runningunnin.454
      10:23 am September 21, 2020 Permalink

Yep, the Eagles first gig was as the backup band for Ronstadt. Here is a young actress/singer, Ebony Buckle, singing the haunting song, “Silver Dagger” on the British TV drama “Inspector Gently”. Lovely girl, lovely song. The song is a takeoff of the Romeo and Juliet theme; you can guess what the silver dagger is for.

10:28 am September 21, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, Glenn Frey mentions at the beginning of the video that she got them together. He also mentioned it at the podium when either she or The Eagles was/were inducted into the R&R HOF.

• runningunnin.454
      10:31 am September 21, 2020 Permalink

Felder didn’t replace anyone; he was added as a 5th member to give the band a more rock sound, rather than Bernie Leadon’s bluegrass sound. As sad as I was when Leadon left, I was really bummed when Randy Meisner left.

10:36 am September 21, 2020 Permalink

OIC. I think they took on even more of a rock sound with Joe Walsh. Anyway, what a band man.

• RealCatsFan
      11:13 am September 21, 2020 Permalink

Glad to oblige, rg. I am happy that you guys caught it so late in the show. I love basically every iteration of the Eagles, all the way up to the bitter end.

cg, that picture of Linda in the roller skates was truly epic. Up there with the timeless Farrah poster and the Whitesnake poster with the Lambo. πŸ™‚

• runningunnin.454
      11:24 am September 21, 2020 Permalink

Funny Eagles story; turns out Frey and Henley were pretty liberal, and they decided to have a concert, and donate the money to Senator Cranston’s reelection campaign. Felder wasn’t too happy about that.
      When Cranston went down the line thanking each personally, Felder said, “you’re welcome…I GUESS”. Uh oh, brouhaha.

• RealCatsFan
      11:35 am September 21, 2020 Permalink

I guess I’m just a rock n’ roll guy, because “On The Border” is one of my all-time favorite Eagles albums. Especially “Ol’ 55” – how can a car guy NOT like that one?

• runningunnin.454
      11:51 am September 21, 2020 Permalink

Almost bought a ’55 Chevy…but, then my mechanic said Nooooo.

2. Realme
    10:14 am September 21, 2020 Permalink

I just can’t with the things these guys don’t know.

10:20 am September 21, 2020 Permalink

Sometimes I almost think it’s an act. But then I don’t think they would be talented enough to just never break character like that.

10:22 am September 21, 2020 Permalink

What did they not know this time?

I don’t remember if I’ve mentioned this, but when Mike & Mike were on the radio together, Golic and the listeners were pretty merciless toward Greenie. He was so incompetent when it came to anything maintenance or repair related. I wonder which one is worse between him and MJ?

10:27 am September 21, 2020 Permalink

That there was a real name for “Rock paper scissors”. I get if you just can’t retrieve it from your brain at any given moment, but to never have heard the term Rochambeau in your life…

10:29 am September 21, 2020 Permalink

Wellllllllllllllllllllllll, as it turns out, I’ve never heard that before either. You really can learn something new every day. I’ll duck the slings & arrows now. Haha.

10:33 am September 21, 2020 Permalink

Welp, I’ll just go ahead and admit I have never heard that before. Are you just messing with us, Realme??

10:36 am September 21, 2020 Permalink

I would estimate there is a 99.999999996857% chance that if you challenged completely random person to a game of Rochambeau, you would end up having to say “rock, paper, scissors” so they would know what you mean.

10:37 am September 21, 2020 Permalink

Okay then, I guess I have to stop judging on this one. πŸ˜‰

• runningunnin.454
      10:39 am September 21, 2020 Permalink

Well, I didn’t know what “Got cakes on the low” meant in the Ty Lawson article yesterday, I’m too old ha ha. Lawson is lucky they didn’t run over him with a tank.

10:40 am September 21, 2020 Permalink

I thought about googling that one, decided I didn’t need to know.

10:50 am September 21, 2020 Permalink

It turned out it meant what I thought. Haha.

10:53 am September 21, 2020 Permalink

I wouldn’t have known if somebody in the comment section didn’t define it for us. I’m sure it was covered in one of those UNC courses.

10:56 am September 21, 2020 Permalink

If you Google a phrase you know is probably questionable you have to make sure you:
      1) Don’t do it at work, and…
      2) Use a private browser so Google doesn’t think you’re looking for anything more than a definition and have that search follow you.

11:00 am September 21, 2020 Permalink

That’s why urban dictionary exists. It’s basically saying “I am not cool enough to know what this means, please explain it to me.”

11:03 am September 21, 2020 Permalink

Yes, Urban Dictionary has helped me a lot of times over the years. And the examples people give for how to use a word or phrase in a sentence are a very underrated form of entertainment. lol

• runningunnin.454
      11:15 am September 21, 2020 Permalink

I may have mentioned this before; but, I was reviewing a patient’s chart, and for an allergy, it said “milf”. I asked a nurse, what the hell is this” and she didn’t know, either. So I made the mistake of googling it….dayum. Turns out it was supposed to be milk.

• RealCatsFan
      11:23 am September 21, 2020 Permalink

rg, so exactly how much time did you spend on those search results? Did your schedule get backed up? πŸ˜€

• runningunnin.454
      11:26 am September 21, 2020 Permalink

Not long; I was pist!!!

3. Laker Cat 18
    10:23 am September 21, 2020 Permalink

I’m in a work NFL survival pot for a $2400 end of season cash out. I took the Chiefs this week…my hind end was clinched the whole game.

4. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:26 am September 21, 2020 Permalink

If Auburn is better at QB, it’s only because Terry had to sit for a year IMO. We’ll see.

10:28 am September 21, 2020 Permalink

I honestly don’t know. You can be Terry positive or Terry negative, depending on what stats you care about. If you go by Twitter confidence, he says he is better than ever.

10:31 am September 21, 2020 Permalink

I’m a Nix fan since his granddaddy coached my alma tomater for years, and very successfully, but if their O line is porous like I’m hearing, that’s “Advantage: UK”.

10:31 am September 21, 2020 Permalink

Terry looked pretty good in the two games he played in last year. If he can just get back to that level, we should be in good hands.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:35 am September 21, 2020 Permalink

The Auburn fans I know personally are very excited about Bo Nix. I don’t get the infatuation with him…he’s a solid QB, but you’d think he’d be a top Heisman candidate by the way they act.

11:10 am September 21, 2020 Permalink

I agree, he was no more than solid last year. However, if he takes another step this year after the lessons learned starting as a freshman, who knows?

5. ClutchCargo
    10:28 am September 21, 2020 Permalink

I think it’s fine to be cautiously optimistic about this game. But to confident about it is kind of the same thing as delusional because there are just so many unknowns right now. Terry hasn’t had to go up against guys who are trying to tackle him since about a year ago.

10:38 am September 21, 2020 Permalink

Yes. No idea why some people are so confident. People on my Twitter were crowing about Louisville Saturday, about how much better than them we are. Well, we might want to wait to brag until we actually see them play.

6. Realme
    10:36 am September 21, 2020 Permalink

What is Simon Kitten?

10:37 am September 21, 2020 Permalink

I think it lives in Kitten County.

10:39 am September 21, 2020 Permalink

So weird.

11:10 am September 21, 2020 Permalink

Matt just mentioned his friend Duckin. Or is it Ducken?

11:16 am September 21, 2020 Permalink

He’s friends with a turducken?

11:19 am September 21, 2020 Permalink

11:25 am September 21, 2020 Permalink

I feel like all of those layered meats wouldn’t actually be good. Some parts would be under or overcooked or dry, etc.

11:27 am September 21, 2020 Permalink

Agree. Plus, it’s just a colossal waste of perfectly good meat.

7. ClutchCargo
    10:46 am September 21, 2020 Permalink

I don’t play much golf at all anymore, but I don’t like any course where the front or back side begins or ends with a par 3. Pretty sure I have never seen a par 3 #1 hole anywhere.

• RealCatsFan
      11:21 am September 21, 2020 Permalink

Par 3’s are my kryptonite. I rarely even hit par on them. Must be a mental block, because I do fine on longer holes. (sometimes) πŸ˜‰

11:26 am September 21, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, and courses that have 5 par 3s and only 3 par 5s kind of suck, too.

8. runningunnin.454
    10:49 am September 21, 2020 Permalink

Rock, paper, scissors tournament would probably test the limit of Matt’s athletic ability, ha ha.

10:55 am September 21, 2020 Permalink

Throw in dynamite and then hoo boy!

11:01 am September 21, 2020 Permalink

And string could get interesting as well.

11:09 am September 21, 2020 Permalink

AR-15.

9. RealCatsFan
    11:19 am September 21, 2020 Permalink

Lots of sad news over the weekend. RBG was an American icon, IMO, whether you agree with her politics or not. Great lady, and an example that we can all get along.

The two brothers involved in the ATV accident was very sad. Prayers to their family.

Finally, three men were shot dead here in Louisville while sitting on the patio of a local bar & grille. Total stranger, nothing was said, just walked up and started shooting. One of the young men was 24, and I went to grade school and HS with his father. I just can’t imagine what he is going through.

Somehow, we need to make this all stop, but I don’t know an easy solution. Not everyone will agree with me, but we need to follow the example of JC and just be kind to our fellow man and put others ahead of us. That has to start at the very top and filter down, and also start with each one of us and filter up. Sad times, but I am hopeful that eventually we will get out of them, like we did in the 70’s.

• runningunnin.454
      11:35 am September 21, 2020 Permalink

WOW, didn’t hear about that; is Louisville that bad now? Related to the protests?

• RealCatsFan
      11:42 am September 21, 2020 Permalink

Saw someone post on FB that the shooter had a Breonna Taylor shirt on, but have not seen it confirmed.

It’s going to get really bad this week when the grand jury decision is released. They are going to exonerate the cops, and it’s going to get ugly. They have the courthouse shut down and boarded up in preparation.

It’s not bad out where I live, but I wouldn’t feel real comfortable in parts of Louisville proper, even in daylight. And that’s sad.

11:45 am September 21, 2020 Permalink

Yeah that’s not going to go well. Seems like they tried to placate by releasing the news of the civil settlement first, but I don’t think that will have worked. 2020 is not going down as one of the better years for our society.

10. ClutchCargo
    11:21 am September 21, 2020 Permalink

I think they’re right about Zion Williamson needing to slim down. But Zion and New Orleans food probably isn’t a good combination long-term.

11:29 am September 21, 2020 Permalink

Much like Chicago, I would be so fat if I lived there.

11. Laker Cat 18
    11:27 am September 21, 2020 Permalink

I unfollowed Rex on Twitter LONG ago. I had also gotten into the habit of unfollowing anyone who likes or retweets him on my news feed. Then I figured out how to block his tweets so I didn’t have to do the last phase.

11:31 am September 21, 2020 Permalink

Nothing better about Twitter than being able to mute accounts or terms. People are up in arms because UK is apparently naming the UK media room after Not Jerry Tipton. He was certainly not careful sometimes with his tweets.

11:31 am September 21, 2020 Permalink

I have no use for Rex whatsoever. Great UK player, and I loved watching him do his thing back in the day, but he is an insufferable douche now.

• Laker Cat 18
      11:37 am September 21, 2020 Permalink

I was a big NJT fan, but with that said, I do not think that name is worthy to used in naming a UK media facility. There are many others that I would consider more.

11:40 am September 21, 2020 Permalink

Agreed LC. He made me laugh often, and I never saw anything where I felt like he crossed the line, but a lot of my timeline disagrees.

• runningunnin.454
      11:44 am September 21, 2020 Permalink

Hate to be dumb; but, what exactly is a “timeline”?

11:45 am September 21, 2020 Permalink

Twitter feed. I don’t know if that’s the right word, I may have gotten that from Bookface.

12. Realme
    11:36 am September 21, 2020 Permalink

We really need to complain about scheduling in 2020? We will be lucky to have games.

13. runningunnin.454
    11:38 am September 21, 2020 Permalink

Glad Cal got his Detroit Mercy game, “Detroit where my son plays”. But do these games with Albany, Monmouth, and Lamar help our teams? Do we have anything to win? And, sometimes, the cupcakes win…remember Evansville? ESPN had a lot of fun with that one.

• Bluehender
      12:04 pm September 21, 2020 Permalink

Ouch…that’s painful rg..

14. Laker Cat 18
    11:45 am September 21, 2020 Permalink

Matt’s book was 100% political. That’s crazy that he thinks it’s not.

11:46 am September 21, 2020 Permalink

He so silly.

15. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    11:46 am September 21, 2020 Permalink

Can I comment?

11:47 am September 21, 2020 Permalink

Sure, go ahead. πŸ˜›

• Laker Cat 18
      11:51 am September 21, 2020 Permalink

Your comment is awaiting moderation.

• runningunnin.454
      11:53 am September 21, 2020 Permalink

I’m on pins and needles, here? Suspense is thick.

11:54 am September 21, 2020 Permalink

Laker Cat is the modbot! He’s gotten me several times in the last few minutes.

• Laker Cat 18
      11:54 am September 21, 2020 Permalink

Haha! Had to…

11:58 am September 21, 2020 Permalink

After trying to respond to Matt about RBG & Scalia he locked me out, even when trying to talk about layered meats.

• RealCatsFan
      12:07 pm September 21, 2020 Permalink

Apparently Matt has something against gingers. πŸ˜‰

I got locked out last week for something completely innocent and apolitical. I eventually posted it in a stand-alone comment instead of a reply, and it went through. I think the NCAA is behind the modbot – the logic seem similar. πŸ™‚

16. Realme
    11:49 am September 21, 2020 Permalink

Matt loves a fat sportsman.

11:56 am September 21, 2020 Permalink

I kinda do too. RIP, Jared Lorenzen. I was a fan of Charles Barkley when he was in the NBA. And who doesn’t enjoy a fat guy touchdown in football?

• RealCatsFan
      12:08 pm September 21, 2020 Permalink

Fat guy ballet is highly overrated.