KSR Show Thread (9/18): Getting ready for Mississippi State

(Jim Brown-USA TODAY Sports)

(Jim Brown-USA TODAY Sports)

Today on Kentucky Sports Radio radio, Matt Jones and Ryan Lemond are back in studio to look ahead to the Mississippi State game. They’ll talk a little basketball recruiting, too.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

Article written by Drew Franklin

31 Comments for KSR Show Thread (9/18): Getting ready for Mississippi State

1. RealCatsFan
    10:14 am September 18, 2018 Permalink

The little boy who died after getting hit is truly a tragic story. Not only for his family, but I also feel sorry for the family of the 18 year old UK student who was driving while intoxicated. The guilt that they have to be carrying around must be crushing, as is the sorrow of the family of the little boy. Just a tough situation all the way around.

• Realme
      10:17 am September 18, 2018 Permalink

Didn’t think any game related tragedy would be worse than the man that fell in Rupp, but this was so terrible. Don’t even know what to say.

I wonder if the possible culpability of the fraternity is being investigated.

• RealCatsFan
      10:26 am September 18, 2018 Permalink

I think that may have been inferred by Matt. I think there will be a lot more coming out on this story in the near future. I wonder if any of the little boys organs could have been donated to a child who was in need. For a lot of folks who have suffered unspeakable tragedies like this, organ donation actually brings a little bit of peace. I know it did for me when I lost my brother back in 2003.

• secrick
      10:30 am September 18, 2018 Permalink

Only way i can post is click on the reply. Yes it is a sad day for both . I can’t imagine how the Little Boys Family is feeling .

• J-Dub421
      10:50 am September 18, 2018 Permalink

It depends. Since the boy was hit by a car, his internal organs could be damaged due to blunt force trauma and may no longer be viable for organ donation. Either way the whole situation is tragic, especially since it’s so avoidable. I really don’t care if people drink, but please don’t drive afterwards. Call a cab, or order a Lyft or an Uber. If you’re a student at UK, just do what I used to do and walk. Walking is good for you. Just don’t drive.

• Yes, an unspeakable tragedy. I keep seeing folks saying don’t drink and drive. the problem is that once you’ve drank your judgment is impaired. So those who know they plan to drink have to make the decision BEFOREHAND to hand someone else the keys, preferably a teetotaler, but definitely someone who will not drink and will take you home.

And speaking of that, this is a reminder to ME to be careful about distracted driving. I don’t text and drive, but it’s tempting to glance at the phone when I hear the chime, and justify it by thinking “Well I’m not texting, I’m just glancing at it”, not to mention launching iHeart to hear UK, KSR, etc. I need to wait until I’ve stopped or do it before I leave the driveway. The same goes for fiddling with the radio or AC. Be careful folks!

• runningunnin.454
      10:53 am September 18, 2018 Permalink

Very heartbreaking story; just leaves me numb. No words are adequate.

• RealCatsFan
      11:11 am September 18, 2018 Permalink

Saw some folks on the other thread saying that the kid who was driving should get the death penalty. I disagree, although his punishment must be harsh. I think that there are a LOT of people out there (including me) who have to be honest with themselves in thinking “there but for the grace of God goes I” at some point in their lives if they drink alcohol.

• Realme
      11:18 am September 18, 2018 Permalink

Death penalty would be a little much. Living with himself might be worse anyways. The knowledge of what his decisions led to has to be crushing.

2. RealCatsFan
    10:30 am September 18, 2018 Permalink

At least we can give The Fonz credit for the term “jumping the shark”.

3. RealCatsFan
    10:33 am September 18, 2018 Permalink

It just seems like there has been so much bad news swirling around lately that it is hard for me to keep up with. We all need to go out of our way to spend meaningful time with the ones we love. Put the phones down, get away from the TV or computer, and live life with them!

• J-Dub421
      10:53 am September 18, 2018 Permalink

I try to practice small random acts of kindness to combat all the crap out there. I don’t know if it helps or not, but it makes me feel better, and I hope it brightens people’s day and that they pay it forward.

• I agree with you both 100%, and I need to practice what you both are preaching more.

• RealCatsFan
      11:14 am September 18, 2018 Permalink

J-Dub, it HAS to help. Keep up the good work, and I’ll try to do likewise.

• ClutchCargo
      11:35 am September 18, 2018 Permalink

I’m sure the random acts of kindness do make a difference, and most of the time we will never know for sure how the other person will pay it forward. But to keep doing them is the right thing to do.

4. RealCatsFan
    10:51 am September 18, 2018 Permalink

I actually named our Siamese kitten after Kramer from Seinfeld because he was spastic just like the character on the show. This was back in the 90’s.

5. runningunnin.454
    10:59 am September 18, 2018 Permalink

Cotton Nash did play in the Majors for the White Sox and Twins. I saw him play in the minors at Bosse Field in Evansville, In.
    He hit a home run that was still going up as it cleared center field; as he trotted back to the dugout, I yelled “Go UK”. This was several years after he played at UK, and he turned obviously a bit surprised.
    He gave me a smile and a tip of the cap.
    By the way, Bosse Field was the venue for many scenes in “A League of Their Own”.

• Realme
      11:03 am September 18, 2018 Permalink

I never know what to say when I see current & former players, but they always seem to like a “Go Cats!” acknowledgement and me not bothering them beyond that.

• RealCatsFan
      11:18 am September 18, 2018 Permalink

Didn’t know that, RG. “A League of their Own” is a very underrated movie, IMO. Tom Hanks was great – “There’s no crying in baseball!” 😀

My bro lives in Evansville. Nice little town.

• runningunnin.454
      11:24 am September 18, 2018 Permalink

Agree about the movie; very good. Bosse Field is the 3rd oldest ballpark in pro baseball, behind Fenway and Wrigley. By the way, center field is 415 feet.

6. RealCatsFan
    11:16 am September 18, 2018 Permalink

Wow, Johnny Short caught sleeping again. Starting to think he is an undiagnosed case of sleep apnea.

• Realme
      11:19 am September 18, 2018 Permalink

A tradition unlike any other.

7. J-Dub421
    11:31 am September 18, 2018 Permalink

Clearly good kickers aren’t a dime a dozen, or the NFL wouldn’t have such a chronic kicking problem. I still can’t believe no one has picked up Austin MacGinnis. He’s so good.

8. runningunnin.454
    11:33 am September 18, 2018 Permalink

The Viking kicker was 0-3 against the Packers, the last a 35 yd gimmee that would have won the game.