KSR Show Thread, 9/17: Basketball start date, McLean County and more!

For two hours this morning, Matt Jones, Ryan Lemond and Shannon The Dude will react to all the news since yesterday’s show and take you on a stroll through McLean County, home of the Dairy Freeze in Island, Kentucky.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

Article written by Drew Franklin

99 Comments for KSR Show Thread, 9/17: Basketball start date, McLean County and more!

1. Realme
    10:00 am September 17, 2020 Permalink

AND ANOTHER THING ABOUT CHICAGO PIZZA… Just kidding. I was so into my typing yesterday I didn’t notice the show ending, lol.

• runningunnin.454
      10:11 am September 17, 2020 Permalink

I’m not arguing with you today; you’re a bit pugilistic.

10:17 am September 17, 2020 Permalink

Exactly how many girls have you fought anyways?

10:19 am September 17, 2020 Permalink

Everyone has their favorite. I used to like deep dish pizza, but lately my tastes have shifted to the crispy thin crust variety. However, nothing can top Impellizari’s Pizza, IMO. The sauce is delicious, and the finely ground Italian sausage is delectable. Two or three slices and it’s couch time for me.

10:20 am September 17, 2020 Permalink

Is that like a brick oven deal? love that too.

• runningunnin.454
      10:22 am September 17, 2020 Permalink

I’ve had many, many fights with girls over my lifetime; haven’t won one yet.

10:23 am September 17, 2020 Permalink

rg, you can never win a fight with a girl – they fight dirty. πŸ™‚

10:24 am September 17, 2020 Permalink

AND?!?

10:29 am September 17, 2020 Permalink

I wouldn’t fight with Realme or JDub or StillBP, but of course the latter 2 don’t love us anymore.

10:34 am September 17, 2020 Permalink

Those two let me down, but it hasn’t been too weird being the only woman. Or is it? YOU GOT A PROBLEM?!!!

• runningunnin.454
      10:35 am September 17, 2020 Permalink

Chris, I bet they kick and hit below the belt; the Marquess of Queensberry frowns on that.

10:44 am September 17, 2020 Permalink

lol

10:53 am September 17, 2020 Permalink

Impellizari’s is more the so-called Louisville style pizza with fairly thick crust, not really the brick oven type. It tastes good, except the sauce imho. Also, I’m not a fan of the finely chopped toppings. I actually really like all their non-pizza items there, like the meatball subs.

10:56 am September 17, 2020 Permalink

I’m so hungry now. Don’t break my fast for another hour, so I guess I’ll just loosen my mask so I can drool on my keyboard.

2. runningunnin.454
    10:06 am September 17, 2020 Permalink

Yay, football is coming. I also like cheerleaders and bands…and the Beach Boys. Originally written by Brian Wilson for a hs music class; yeah a little corny but the teacher gave him an ‘F’. The BB recorded it, and it was top 10 around the world. Too bad the melody is Wisconsin’s school song; but, it was also the melody of the Hawthorne Ca HS song,

3. ClutchCargo
    10:11 am September 17, 2020 Permalink

Haha! I’ve moved on from pizza to more important things. Like the pork butts, ribs and turkey breast I’m going to smoke for the neighbors’ pool party and our own guests tomorrow. Now I just need some meat and Walmart was completely out of ribs yesterday. On top of that, I’m learning to use a new smoker. No pressure.

10:14 am September 17, 2020 Permalink

Saturday, not tomorrow.

10:17 am September 17, 2020 Permalink

I’ll take some ribs please. Will exchange for corn pudding?

10:20 am September 17, 2020 Permalink

Hehheh, Beavis, he said “butt”, HehHeh. πŸ˜‰

10:21 am September 17, 2020 Permalink

Absolutely! My neighbors like to eat my food, but they tend to not offer to pitch in on the cost of the meat. So we just don’t cook any sides at all, and everybody can just bring their favorite sides and/or beer and figure out among themselves who brings what.

10:21 am September 17, 2020 Permalink

And I’ll be right over for some of that smokin’ butt, Clutch.

Wait – that didn’t come out right… πŸ˜€

10:23 am September 17, 2020 Permalink

Clutch, I know what you mean about funding the food when you are good at cooking something. Reminds me of the sign a buddy had on his big azz cruiser: “This boat runs on gas, not thanks.”

10:23 am September 17, 2020 Permalink

RCF, oddly enough a Boston butt is actually part of the shoulder. Go figure. But I agree it’s more fun to just roll with the butt jokes!

• runningunnin.454
      10:24 am September 17, 2020 Permalink

Clutch, what time should we be there? BTW, have you tried the BBQ ribs in Chicago, giggle, snicker.

10:33 am September 17, 2020 Permalink

rg, I haven’t tried any Chicago bbq yet. But there is a place called Smoque that is highly recommended by people whose opinions I trust on these things. There are other places, too. Basically, if a city is somewhat known for blues music, there is probably some good bbq nearby.

10:34 am September 17, 2020 Permalink

Clutch, you said you like Detroit style pizza? I didn’t know there was such a thing. What next? Detroit style southern BBQ?

Seriously, I thought the only pizza that came from Detroit was Dominos. Fill me in.

10:35 am September 17, 2020 Permalink

It’s like an extra tall pan pizza, a la Jets, I think.

10:38 am September 17, 2020 Permalink

I think Clutch is right about the blues + bbq connection. I haven’t tried any Chicago bbq, but if you get one of those famous Chicago foods catalogs, they will have pizza, Italian beef, steaks and bbq.

10:41 am September 17, 2020 Permalink

Yes, like Jet’s. Supposedly, it was first made in a repurposed auto parts tray from one of the auto manufacturing plants, which is why they are square or rectangle. I don’t actually eat a lot of bread, but that crust is to die for.

10:44 am September 17, 2020 Permalink

Forgive me, but what is Jets?

10:47 am September 17, 2020 Permalink

Jet’s is slowly making its way south. There is at least one in Birmingham now. Time for a field trip, cg. Have to get the deep dish, though.

10:50 am September 17, 2020 Permalink

I’ll look it up, but I still haven’t had the chance to try Tortuga’s yet. πŸ™

• runningunnin.454
      10:53 am September 17, 2020 Permalink

Several bluesmen were known for their Chicago connection; but, blues originated in the South. Chicago blues were influenced by Southern bluesmen to traveled there.
      The king of blues is still Robert Johnson from Mississippi; you can feel the pain in his voice. He also traveled to the Windy City, and wrote “Sweet Home Chicago”.

10:55 am September 17, 2020 Permalink

rg, you’re right about the origin of Chicago blues. I suspect that is why there is also good bbq to be had there.

11:02 am September 17, 2020 Permalink

If any of you folks are ever in da Ville and craving pizza, do yourselves a favor and try Impellizari’s. It isn’t cheap, but well worth it. Not thick crust, but thick toppings! And the seasonings they put on it is what makes it. Their pizza has a unique favor that I have not seen duplicated.

• runningunnin.454
      11:06 am September 17, 2020 Permalink

They say Johnson sold his soul for his musical prowess; but, I believe he just practiced his butt off. He developed a guitar style that sounded like there were two guitars on his recordings; and, when he played live in public, he always played with his back to the audience so other guitarists couldn’t see his fingers, and steal his technique.
      Sadly, he was poisoned, and died at 27; hence the saying…never drink from an open bottle.

11:09 am September 17, 2020 Permalink

As I understand it, bluesmen made their way up the Mississipi River, hence St. Louis and Memphis blues. I guess some of them moseyed up to Chicago from St. Lou.

11:11 am September 17, 2020 Permalink

Yes and some detoured over to Detroit.

11:11 am September 17, 2020 Permalink

rg, remember watching a movie called “Crossroads” back in the 80’s about a kid (played by Ralph Maccio) who befriends Willie Brown, who has sold his soul to the devil, a’la Robert Johnson at the infamous southern crossroads. The movie was a little hokey, but I enjoyed it because I was really into blues music at the time.

11:21 am September 17, 2020 Permalink

Some smartass must have moved the “Bluesmen, this way” signs to point toward MO and MI. πŸ˜€

• runningunnin.454
      11:24 am September 17, 2020 Permalink

RCF, that was a decent movie; of course, Macchio didn’t really play the guitar. The girl in the movie, Jamie Gertz, is part owner of the Atlanta Hawks.

12:29 pm September 17, 2020 Permalink

I’m late with this reply, but supposedly that whole Robert Johnson deal is where Charlie Daniels got the idea for “The Devil Went Down to Georgia” also.

4. runningunnin.454
    10:15 am September 17, 2020 Permalink

My family lived in McLean Co for a few years. The county sear, Calhoun, was originally an Indian fort called Fort Vienna. The town was later called Long Falls when Henderson was called Red Banks, and Owensboro was called Yellow Banks.
    And yes, I loved the Island burger. Jays in Calhoun was also good.

11:11 am September 17, 2020 Permalink

Did that Dairy Freeze used to be a DQ, or was it always a local branded joint?

11:13 am September 17, 2020 Permalink

That architecture looks like old DQ I think (I remember Tastee Freeze too…they still exist in the midwest apparently…John Mellencamp is glad I guess). There’s still an old one in Andalusia, AL, for those of you who go through there on the way to the beach.

• runningunnin.454
      11:28 am September 17, 2020 Permalink

No, not a DQ; a local joint.

5. ClutchCargo
    10:16 am September 17, 2020 Permalink

I’d say we will definitely play as many bball games as possible. With yet another young team, there’s no substitute for game experience in preparing for the conference season and tournament.

6. RealCatsFan
    10:26 am September 17, 2020 Permalink

Got home from my kid’s volleyball match last night, and WBNA was playing the UK/UL NCAA Tourney game from 2014. I forgot just how awesome that game was! Lucas Oil Stadium must have been off the chain that day. In retrospect, Harrell kind of got screwed by the ref’s down the stretch, but they had it coming to them. πŸ™‚

10:27 am September 17, 2020 Permalink

And Julius Randle made one of the most hilarious faces in all of sports after the game was over…

10:28 am September 17, 2020 Permalink

Is that the one where Willie gave him the epic stare down?

10:33 am September 17, 2020 Permalink

No, that was the next year in 2015 at YUM. That was also the year when Ulis had blood streaming down his face and Floppin’ Jones was floppin all over the place.

I think Willie was out with the foot injury in 2014. Didn’t that happen in the game before it, against Wichita St?

10:34 am September 17, 2020 Permalink

2014 would have been one of the most epic years ever in UK basketball except for that damned clunker we threw in against UConn in the final. πŸ™ And it’s still Chapman’s fault!

10:35 am September 17, 2020 Permalink

If there was an All Funny Face basketball team, Julius Randle and SGA would be first team for sure.

10:35 am September 17, 2020 Permalink

^ Fact.

10:36 am September 17, 2020 Permalink

RCF, as a Celtics fan I feel a little dirty cheering for Kemba Walker now. It actually felt kind of good seeing Bam and Herro pull out that win the other night.

10:38 am September 17, 2020 Permalink

That was for RCF’s comment.

10:41 am September 17, 2020 Permalink

Clutch, you could add KAT to that list after his epic photobomb of Cal.

Wow, those teams were fun!

10:47 am September 17, 2020 Permalink

Correction RCF, 2014 would have been THE most epic year if we had beaten Uconn. Those wins in the 3 prior games are still unbelievable how they played out.

11:29 am September 17, 2020 Permalink

That 2014 tournament run was the most stressful/awesome that I have ever seen. I remember before the first round game I was really hungry and found some microwave popcorn way back in the pantry. It was some no-name stuff that none of remembered buying, but there it was. Once our games got going, it became clear that our good luck was due to this popcorn, so I made sure to pop a bag of it at halftime of each game. But there were only 5 bags, so none for the title game. Coincidence? I think not.

11:43 am September 17, 2020 Permalink

The fact that we made that run after the low point of the South carolina game (and the Forde column) should serve as Exhibit A on why the trolls need to permanently shut their pieholes when a young, talented Cal coached team has its ups and downs during the regular season.

7. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:30 am September 17, 2020 Permalink

Okay, here is a positive post from me:

10:40 am September 17, 2020 Permalink

Too much cute.

10:40 am September 17, 2020 Permalink

Very cute! Nothing makes you smile like a little baby’s smile and laughter. Of course, the kid would probably start screaming if I tried to sing to him. πŸ˜€

10:47 am September 17, 2020 Permalink

That lady has a great voice!

10:50 am September 17, 2020 Permalink

RCF, I forgot, how do you make the smiley with the teeth showing?

10:58 am September 17, 2020 Permalink

“:” followed by “D”. πŸ˜€

10:58 am September 17, 2020 Permalink

Good luck not smiling while watching that! Have you seen the one with the baby singing along with Elvis’ American Trilogy? About 5 or 6 minutes long, but be sure to watch until the very end, it’s worth the wait. https://youtu.be/NwfRp8PPCgg

11:02 am September 17, 2020 Permalink

πŸ˜€

11:03 am September 17, 2020 Permalink

πŸ˜›

11:05 am September 17, 2020 Permalink

I skipped to the end, but that was amazing Clutch. I didn’t know a kid that age could feel the music like that. Hope she’s some kind of prodigy now.

11:14 am September 17, 2020 Permalink

I think I saw that years ago and forgot about it!

11:16 am September 17, 2020 Permalink

I hope you didn’t skip past about the 4:20 mark. That was the part that blew me away the first time I saw it.

11:21 am September 17, 2020 Permalink

Is that where she’s like “wait for it” and starts conducting with her arm?

11:22 am September 17, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, that’s it.

11:26 am September 17, 2020 Permalink

So good.

8. Realme
    10:42 am September 17, 2020 Permalink

Matt’s trying so hard to act like he is pro keeping the agreement, but he’s really one of us scoundrels.

10:59 am September 17, 2020 Permalink

He would just pretend he had always been a scoundrel and deny that he ever argued the other side.

11:03 am September 17, 2020 Permalink

Again, none of us want this to happen, but if Terry and Sawyer both get hurt, Joey’s got to play, no?

11:07 am September 17, 2020 Permalink

I always forget Sawyer is still here. Poor guy. Do you think he wants to play? Or just stay on scholly to finish school?

11:10 am September 17, 2020 Permalink

We win 9 or 10 regular season games last year if Sawyer didn’t get hurt IMO.

11:11 am September 17, 2020 Permalink

I feel like this gentlemen’s agreement is another KSR-manufactured controversy. Not the agreement part, but the controversy part. I’m pretty sure it was a long-standing rule in many conferences that a player couldn’t transfer and be eligible at a school on his old school’s schedule. Not 100% sure about that, though.

11:13 am September 17, 2020 Permalink

cg, even with that big win in the Swamp, we are still cursed against Florida in football. So many close calls that just went the wrong way over the years, mostly recent.

9. runningunnin.454
    11:13 am September 17, 2020 Permalink

Eh, there is also Sacramento in McLean Co. There was a Civil War battle there, and even tho’ the town is very small, they went to the Boys’ Sweet Sixteen once.

10. Laker Cat 18
    11:17 am September 17, 2020 Permalink

My favorite pizza is buffalo chicken style…Best places to get it?

1. Dominos
    2. Mellow Mushroom
    3. Mugbees
    4. Eubank Pizza

• runningunnin.454
      11:32 am September 17, 2020 Permalink

But, should a pizza have chicken on it? I see Dominos, I think, advertise on the NBA games a chicken pizza and a cheeseburger pizza; don’t know if I’ll try those.

11:36 am September 17, 2020 Permalink

For me, it’s like Mexican pizza. If I want Mexican, I’ll get tacos, if I want a cheeseburger, I’ll get one, same for BBQ chicken. But if I want pizza, I want sausage, pepperoni, mushroom, and black olives. Maybe roasted red peppers if available. But to each his own. πŸ™‚

11:38 am September 17, 2020 Permalink

However, when I am trying to be healthy, I will make my own pizza with olive oil and garlic, spinach, tomatoes, broccoli, peppers, and grilled chicken with feta, parmesian, mozzarella cheese. Cooked on the grille it is pretty awesome.

11:41 am September 17, 2020 Permalink

What do you do for the crust? I’m too lazy to make my own, but store bought always tastes gross.

11:45 am September 17, 2020 Permalink

Preach, rg and RCF!

• Laker Cat 18
      11:45 am September 17, 2020 Permalink

I’ve done keto crusts out of cauliflower and mozzarella cheese.

11:48 am September 17, 2020 Permalink

rm, I usually just get one of the Boboli crusts. they are pretty good. And the olive oil and garlic helps it along. I also add fresh basil, a sprinkling of rosemary, and a touch of fennel. (I’m giving away all my secrets.)

11:48 am September 17, 2020 Permalink

I need to try that LC, but my husband won’t eat it if I do.

11:49 am September 17, 2020 Permalink

Meh about Boboli.

• Laker Cat 18
      11:56 am September 17, 2020 Permalink

Also with almond flour.

11. RealCatsFan
    11:34 am September 17, 2020 Permalink

“Old Man” is one of my very favorite Neil Young songs, along with “Heart of Gold”, both from “Harvest”. Linda Ronstadt provided backing vocals on both tracks. Good stuff.

12. Realme
    11:37 am September 17, 2020 Permalink

Tackett’s comments weren’t that bad in full context, but he still should have seen that coming. Now, if the state doesn’t allow a full competition season for the cheerleaders… yikes.

13. runningunnin.454
    11:40 am September 17, 2020 Permalink

Cheerleaders can social distance better than the players; silly really. Big problem is keeping the players and the cheerleaders apart after the game, lol.

11:46 am September 17, 2020 Permalink

Volleyball has very little actual contact, but they still consider it a high risk / high contact sport. Our team has been wearing masks for every game and practice. Many of the other teams are not. Someone told me we wear the masks in case someone on the team turns up with COVID. If everyone is wearing the masks, the rest of the team doesn’t have to quarantine like the teams that don’t wear them. I have not verified if this is true.

11:46 am September 17, 2020 Permalink

Sounds like there wasn’t a lot of social distancing even among the UK cheerleaders, if you believe the stories that came out a few months ago.