KSR Show Thread 9/16: Start the week off right

Good morning, friends, and welcome to the Monday edition of Kentucky Sports Radio. Today, the gang will recap Kentucky’s heartbreaking loss to Florida, and when that becomes too painful, move on to Mississippi State, talk about Terrence Clarke’s commitment, and tell other stories for the weekend.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

74 Comments for KSR Show Thread 9/16: Start the week off right

1. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:01 am September 16, 2019 Permalink

I made my coffee extra strong this morning.

10:02 am September 16, 2019 Permalink

FIRST!!!

• Realme
      10:16 am September 16, 2019 Permalink

Doesn’t count unless you say FIRST!!! first. Isn’t that the rule?

10:18 am September 16, 2019 Permalink

Haha.

2. runningunnin.454
    10:07 am September 16, 2019 Permalink

I’m here with my fearless prognostication for the upcoming game;
    UK 21-14 after three.
    Henceforth, I’m going to take the 4 th quarter off, too.

10:12 am September 16, 2019 Permalink

Just make sure a backup QB doesn’t come in and we’ll be fine. From Vince Sutton, to Danny Wiffle, to Kyle Boller, now Kyle Trask. Yech! *reaches for extra strong coffee*

• ClutchCargo
      10:12 am September 16, 2019 Permalink

I really hope that was a one-time thing, and not a sign of how we’re going to handle being in the lead. History says otherwise, I’m afraid.

10:22 am September 16, 2019 Permalink

There were so many single plays, gafs, etc., that could have turned that game. Since Matt is talking about Sawyer right now, the INT’s were one thing, but I wish he had just fallen on that ball when he fumbled.

There were several coaching mistakes, but to me probably the biggest one to me was running AJ Rose between the tackles, especially the 4th and 1 when he had shown zero ability to run up the middle all game except maybe 1 play that I recall. He has some ability, but that ain’t it. Are coaches sometimes so blind on the sidelines they can’t see what we do? Smoke is obviously a better back, but you can use AJ on screens and plays like that to use his speed.

• runningunnin.454
      10:22 am September 16, 2019 Permalink

We closed the play book that took us to a double digit lead; we don’t know who our best RB is. We pressure Franks the entire game, and backed off the back-up QB. We went to a prevent defense with 12 minutes left in the game.
      When we fell behind 22-21, we opened the play book, and put in the RB most of us had been screaming for the whole 4th quarter…we marched down to the red zone, then chickened out, and left it up to a terrified kid that had no experience in that kind of situation. Hell, we didn’t even center the ball for him.
      Confucius say, if you play 3 quarters and the opponent plays 4 quarters, you will not win.

• J-Dub421
      10:25 am September 16, 2019 Permalink

We should have used Rodriguez on that 4th and 1. That kid is a bowling ball.

• Realme
      10:25 am September 16, 2019 Permalink

You’re both right on all points, and I hope the coaching staff learns from this. They’re not stupid, they should be able to see we changed our strategy and that is why we failed. And I love AJ, but too bad. Kavosiey is just better.

• Realme
      10:27 am September 16, 2019 Permalink

Jdub where did CR go? Is he still available to play? Punish him for his drops one game, but don’t fail to use him. He. Can. Get. One. Yard.

10:33 am September 16, 2019 Permalink

I agree 100% RG. I just didn’t have the energy to go through everything that went wrong. You left out the refs BTW. 🙂

• RealCatsFan
      10:37 am September 16, 2019 Permalink

Yep, I kind of liked that three-headed-RB-monster thing.

3. Realme
    10:14 am September 16, 2019 Permalink

Are you guys absolutely sure we won last year? It feels like fate will never and has never allowed UK to beat Florida. No amount of circumstances that say we should win seem to matter.

• J-Dub421
      10:22 am September 16, 2019 Permalink

We had that game!!!! We were clearly the better team, and we choked. I’m trying really hard to remain optimistic, but our kicker is shakey, the officiating still sucks badly (and it always feels like we get the worst of the bad calls), and I’m really not sold on our back-up QB.

10:32 am September 16, 2019 Permalink

Our QB is fine. He made some mistakes, but he’s fine. There was a ton that went on that he could not control, well outlined by RG above.

• runningunnin.454
      10:32 am September 16, 2019 Permalink

Had to expect some jitters and poor judgment his first game. Bigger question is where did Wagner go?
      Did he leave early. Did he take the TE’s with him?

• ClutchCargo
      10:35 am September 16, 2019 Permalink

I was at the game in 2017 and this one. Felt eerily similar, how it played out.

• RealCatsFan
      10:36 am September 16, 2019 Permalink

It’s getting close to where I hate Florida football more than dook basketball.

4. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:17 am September 16, 2019 Permalink

Let me ask a question to (hopefully) lighten the mood just a bit: that guy that hosts the UT post game internet talk show…how in the WORLD did he do a 7 hour show with no breaks??? I mean, not only how do you talk that long with no breaks, but does he sit on an adult potty chair or something?

I had to listen to the podcast of that show later so I had to get that in today.

• Realme
      10:23 am September 16, 2019 Permalink

Couldn’t you just let a caller start ranting and then leave for a while?

• J-Dub421
      10:23 am September 16, 2019 Permalink

Maybe he uses Depends?

10:40 am September 16, 2019 Permalink

That would be gross, but funny!

5. Realme
    10:22 am September 16, 2019 Permalink

I’m not even complaining here, I just genuinely want to know. Why is it that we don’t try to score when we have the ball with 2-3 min left in the first half? Matt said we’re afraid to turn it over? We could turn it over at any time. Why is that 2-3 minutes a time we are not allowed to play real offense? We were getting the ball back in the second half. Seriously. Why?

Okay, I am complaining. This drives me absolutely bonkers.

• runningunnin.454
      10:25 am September 16, 2019 Permalink

Conservative right wing football, no doubt.

• ClutchCargo
      10:38 am September 16, 2019 Permalink

I’m with you, Realme. At least try to get into friggin’ FG range. You get some points there and then have the ball to start the 3rd qtr. I hate the way we milk the clock for no reason.

10:41 am September 16, 2019 Permalink

Smoke needs to play more, but he made a mistake running right instead of left. If he runs left we may have made that FG.

6. J-Dub421
    10:26 am September 16, 2019 Permalink

I miss Terry.

• Realme
      10:30 am September 16, 2019 Permalink

Sawyer’s throws looked so good, for the most part. Hopefully experience brings less throwing to the other team, and I’m sure the staff will make sure he never fails to fall on the ball again. He and Drake will get synced up better. And how about freaking chasing down the interception and stopping a touchdown?

I miss Terry too though.

• J-Dub421
      10:33 am September 16, 2019 Permalink

The throws Smith missed were really bad decisions. He tried to force it when it wasn’t there. He also had a few other throws that were not good, but the receivers bailed him out with spectacular catches. Mostly, I’m concerned about his decision making because it feels suspect.

• runningunnin.454
      10:34 am September 16, 2019 Permalink

I miss Mac! Especially if we’re afraid to play the game.

• StillBP
      10:37 am September 16, 2019 Permalink

I love Terry but he made a lot of stupid throws last year too that resulted in interceptions. I’ll give Smith the benefit of the doubt here for his first game against a good team. His long passes were definitely better than what we’ve seen from Terry’s long throws. And I hate the ‘receivers bailed him out’ thing, a lot of people were saying that about Terry after our first couple of games. Putting it where your receiver can get it and the defense can’t and trusting your receiver to make the catch is part of the QB job.

10:39 am September 16, 2019 Permalink

Terry had decision making issues himself. He threw that backwards pass to Bowden against either Toledo or EMU that could have been a scoop 6 (it reminded me of when he hit Benny in the rear last year against A&M.. He also overthrew quite a guys this year when he had them open for long throws. Sawyer throws the ball more accurately IMO even though his arm may not be as strong.

Don’t forget also: Sawyer wasn’t throwing as accurately after his hand got hurt. I love Terry, especially as a person, but he wasn’t perfect. I cringed as much as anyone when he got hurt though, no doubt.

Sawyer will be fine. It’s the coaching decisions I’m worried about .

• ClutchCargo
      10:40 am September 16, 2019 Permalink

The receivers bailing out the QB thing is silly. When you have receivers who can make plays, you throw it up there and let them make plays. (See: Wager, Ahmad)

• J-Dub421
      10:43 am September 16, 2019 Permalink

Terry had only played Juco, so I was expecting a learning curve. Smith played D1 most of last year. I know he’s at a new school/new system and played a full quarter last week. I wasn’t expecting him to look quite so lost so much of the time. Also, not falling on that fumble was inexcusable. He’s a junior and should know better. Maybe my expectations were too high, but I was not impressed with Smith at all.

• StillBP
      10:49 am September 16, 2019 Permalink

Smith played D1 by look at the teams he played against. GA Southern, Idaho, Coastal, Campbell, North Texas… Might as well be JUCO lol

• RealCatsFan
      11:10 am September 16, 2019 Permalink

BP, they did beat LSU one year with him at QB. So there’s that.

11:17 am September 16, 2019 Permalink

Smith will be fine. Yes, he absolutely should have fallen on the fumble and not tried to be a hero, but again, I don’t see a marked difference between his decision making and Terry’s. It’s a matter of opinion though.

Either way, relax, he will be fine. I just hope he wears earplugs Saturday. Less cowbell.

7. secrick
    10:28 am September 16, 2019 Permalink

I was at Dale Hollow lake on top of a house boat and had to listen to the game on the radio. Was the targeting call late in the game that gave them a first down instead of 3rd and 23 as bad a call as Leach said it was.

• Realme
      10:31 am September 16, 2019 Permalink

AAAAAGGHHHUUGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG THE FREAKING &&^%$#@@@ TARGETING!

• RealCatsFan
      10:34 am September 16, 2019 Permalink

The new targeting rule makes the block/charge call in basketball seem not controversial at all. At least if you get a charge called on you, you don’t get ejected and then suspended for the next game. That sh!t has to change.

• J-Dub421
      10:34 am September 16, 2019 Permalink

It was a terrible call.

10:35 am September 16, 2019 Permalink

It may have technically been correct, but IMO, TJ has just shed a blocker and is going for the tackle. In no way did he purposely lower the head to “target” the guy. It was a football player making a football a play. If that tackle continues to get guys tossed, and I’m not joking about this, it should just be made flag football already because you’re tossing guys for tackling.

• runningunnin.454
      10:42 am September 16, 2019 Permalink

All of you know I’ve ranted about targeting since it’s inception. But, the ncaa is pig headed (like our coaches) and they will not change it.
      All the ball carrier has to do is lower his helmet, instinctively, and he gets the call.

8. RealCatsFan
    10:30 am September 16, 2019 Permalink

I’M STILL PISSED. That is all.

9. RealCatsFan
    10:32 am September 16, 2019 Permalink

I hate to pile on, but what the hell were his parents thinking when they named him? OK, my last name is “Poor”, what first name can I pick that will ensure athletic success and no teasing?

• Realme
      10:38 am September 16, 2019 Permalink

Why can’t McKinnis do the field goals? Why do we need 2 kickers and a punter. Sorry dude, but you missed your CHANCE. Sorry I had to do it.

• ClutchCargo
      10:43 am September 16, 2019 Permalink

McKinnis was primarily the (really bad) punter, not a fg kicker.

• ClutchCargo
      10:45 am September 16, 2019 Permalink

And I’m going to hold off on bashing Poore. He was not put in a position to succeed there. Horrible coaching mistakes, etc.

• Realme
      10:57 am September 16, 2019 Permalink

Oh my bad, I just knew he was doing the kickoffs, I guess we can let him have that. So, Miles Butler? I don’t mean to bash Chance either, it’s just the fear on his face that doesn’t sit well with me.

10. StillBP
    10:44 am September 16, 2019 Permalink

I get being disappointed but I just don’t get all the negativity and sky is falling comments. Most people here are convinced FL is over rated but they have won their games and it seems like the people who get paid to do this for a living know more than ksr commentors. They are a good team. We had a chance to win, we blew it. Coaches will have a chance to look at mistakes made by them and the players. We can get better. The season is not over. Smith looked better than I thought he would against a top 10 team, and you all can scream ‘they aren’t really top 10’all you want but until they lose, they are top 10 and only time will tell who is right.

• ClutchCargo
      10:47 am September 16, 2019 Permalink

Agree. This is what it looks like when we are disappointed that we just lost to UF. I’ll take that over the despair of knowing there is no hope for football success.

• runningunnin.454
      10:52 am September 16, 2019 Permalink

The season is not over; but, I’ve given up on the coaches changing their defeatist strategy.

• RealCatsFan
      10:59 am September 16, 2019 Permalink

Well rg, look on the bright side – we didn’t try to defend them with ten men on the filed this time. That’s progress!

• Realme
      11:00 am September 16, 2019 Permalink

BP you are making excellent points. I personally need a day to be negative and then will be back on board. So frustrated.

• runningunnin.454
      11:16 am September 16, 2019 Permalink

I could have sworn we only had 9 men on the field when they scored their first TD, LOL.

11. Rod Crandler
    10:49 am September 16, 2019 Permalink

Word that best represents that game is “Mistakes”. Just made to many. Players and coaches included.

12. RealCatsFan
    10:49 am September 16, 2019 Permalink

To make the weekend worse, we lost Ric Ocasek. We are losing all the great ones, one by one. The Cars had such an original sound – I can’t think of a group that sounds like them. Bummed.

13. RealCatsFan
    11:12 am September 16, 2019 Permalink

I have to admit that I thought they were doing the right thing on that last drive going primarily on the ground, since Smith had apparently hurt his wrist and had thrown a couple picks. And I wasn’t against kicking the FG. I think Stoops wanted to run a little more time off. Of course, I was also used to having Auto-Mac kicking the FG’s for us.

14. secrick
    11:14 am September 16, 2019 Permalink

So now Miss. State is a must win. Do you agree.

• runningunnin.454
      11:26 am September 16, 2019 Permalink

It would certainly make me feel better; but, probably more important for Miss State. They have Auburn, LSU, UT, and A&M after us.
      Did you see Eastern Michigan beat Illinois Saturday? That made me feel good…briefly.

• secrick
      11:34 am September 16, 2019 Permalink

Yes that was good to see. I believe Ky is a good football team and would have won 10 games with Terry as Quarterback and i still think we get 8. Tough loss i know but bring on the Bulldogs.

• ClutchCargo
      11:37 am September 16, 2019 Permalink

Nothing EMU does makes me feel anything, rg. haha

• runningunnin.454
      11:51 am September 16, 2019 Permalink

The Fightin EMU’s play to win.

12:00 pm September 16, 2019 Permalink

UT might be awful, but their loss to BYU doesn’t look as bad I guess since the Cougars beat USC.

15. RealCatsFan
    11:37 am September 16, 2019 Permalink

Can we just throw the ball to Wagner and hand the ball off to Smoke from now on and see what happens? Until they stop us, why go away from that?

• Realme
      11:48 am September 16, 2019 Permalink

I mean, let Bowden have a few chances. 🙂

• runningunnin.454
      11:52 am September 16, 2019 Permalink

The above are too logical; let’s just run into the middle of the line and punt.

• ClutchCargo
      11:54 am September 16, 2019 Permalink

Just not in the wildcat, please.

16. RealCatsFan
    11:44 am September 16, 2019 Permalink

If I was Matt, I would go out of my way to start playing various practical jokes on the “tracker”. I like the idea of telling the waittresses that it’s his birthday when in a restaurant, but there has to be some other things that he can do to slightly embarrass him without crossing the line.

• Realme
      11:50 am September 16, 2019 Permalink

Decorate his car Just Married style?

11:59 am September 16, 2019 Permalink

Have Ryan follow him around with his video camera rolling at all times.

17. Realme
    11:56 am September 16, 2019 Permalink

“Biggest recruit since Skal” doesn’t have the nicest ring to it.