KSR Show Thread 9/16: Big Ten, College Hoops, McCreary County

Good morning, friends, and welcome to the Wednesday edition of Kentucky Sports Radio. Today, the gang will discuss the Big Ten’s plans to play this fall, the NCAA voting on a new starting date for college basketball, and McCreary County, the latest county up in our virtual tour of the Bluegrass.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

109 Comments for KSR Show Thread 9/16: Big Ten, College Hoops, McCreary County

1. Realme
    9:57 am September 16, 2020 Permalink

In ten days, we have a UK Football game. *

• runningunnin.454
      10:12 am September 16, 2020 Permalink

AuBUM is going down.

10:13 am September 16, 2020 Permalink

By Covid or Cats, one way or another they are going down!

11:05 am September 16, 2020 Permalink

Hee Haws all around!

11:05 am September 16, 2020 Permalink

Sigh, pretend I put that below.

2. runningunnin.454
    10:05 am September 16, 2020 Permalink

Jamal Murray ends the season for two UL Redbirds; and, what about his UK jersey in the post-game interview?
    Bam and Herro; wow, each had nine assists last night; and, Bam’s block; get it outta here Dookie. That series is going to be a war.

10:15 am September 16, 2020 Permalink

Both of those games were just insane. I’m loving the bubble playoffs.

• RealCatsFan
      10:16 am September 16, 2020 Permalink

I’m going to have to check the schedule and catch a few of these.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:18 am September 16, 2020 Permalink

I’m fixing to turn my Sling TV back on for UK sports. I may actually watch a little bit of the NBA Finals.

10:19 am September 16, 2020 Permalink

The absence of fans is no big deal at all to me. Without the travel and home cooking by the refs, it’s just pure competition. You’re either good enough to advance or you’re not.

• RealCatsFan
      10:22 am September 16, 2020 Permalink

Maybe the lack of a crowd will actually help UK Basketball this year – the SEC ref’s won’t feel like they have to pander to the home crowd. Oh wait, I forgot that they regularly screwed us at home games as well. At least Doug Shows won’t have anyone to flex at this year. 😉

• RealCatsFan
      10:23 am September 16, 2020 Permalink

What network is carrying the games?

10:26 am September 16, 2020 Permalink

Is UK going to sell cardboard cutouts like the Bengals and some other teams?

10:34 am September 16, 2020 Permalink

NBA playoffs are on ESPN.

10:35 am September 16, 2020 Permalink

cg, I’m thinking the cardboard cutout fans will work in our favor. It will be just like a regular lower arena crowd in Rupp!

10:37 am September 16, 2020 Permalink

Can they attach marionette strings or something to them and pull the strings occasionally to it will look like the crowd is getting excited?

• runningunnin.454
      10:41 am September 16, 2020 Permalink

Ha ha ha Clutch, the lower arena zombies. But, did you know it was the same way at Memorial in the early ’70’s? And, if you yelled, they turned around and glared at you, ha ha. I was not popular with that crowd.

10:41 am September 16, 2020 Permalink

You mean to the blue hairs when we’re post-covid, right?

• Laker Cat 18
      10:41 am September 16, 2020 Permalink

I can get the cheapest Sling package for $30 plus the $10 for the sports package that includes SEC Network.

10:50 am September 16, 2020 Permalink

Making the cutouts appear excited wouldn’t be realistic, though. Realme has the right idea with doing that with the blue hairs. Right now they only move enough to operate their knitting needles.

I didn’t know Memorial was the same way. I wouldn’t have been popular there, either.

10:52 am September 16, 2020 Permalink

Good call on the marionette strings for bluehairs, Realme! Maybe some lift chair seats would also help.

10:54 am September 16, 2020 Permalink

The only thing worse than having an innocuous comment held up by the modbot is having said comment show up just in time to make you look stupid for saying the same thing twice, but reworded.

10:59 am September 16, 2020 Permalink

Haha Realme, they should put built in joy buzzers in those seats and activate them when we need crowd noise and excitement.

11:03 am September 16, 2020 Permalink

I would say whoopie cushions, but they might not even notice anything out of the ordinary. lol Okay, I’ll stop now.

11:20 am September 16, 2020 Permalink

Haha. You made a gas joke. I’m cooking soup beans right now! Someone tell Ryan I’ll bring some over.

11:37 am September 16, 2020 Permalink

Seriously, that was funny. I wasn’t being sarcastic.

3. RealCatsFan
    10:15 am September 16, 2020 Permalink

So I attended my daughter’s v-ball game against Presentation last night. Spectators AND players were all wearing masks. It really wasn’t that big of a deal. No one was screaming about their rights or liberty being violated. At times I honestly forgot I had a mask on. And no players dropped over on the court from suffocation. 😉

11:05 am September 16, 2020 Permalink

Cool!

4. Realme
    10:22 am September 16, 2020 Permalink

I feel like Ryan has some Cheer Mom stories to tell.

• RealCatsFan
      10:25 am September 16, 2020 Permalink

Do you think Ryan ever gave the cheerleading team one of his pep talks? Hopefully he kept his shirt on!

10:28 am September 16, 2020 Permalink

Maybe the girl he hit in the head with a ball is also a cheerleader.

5. RealCatsFan
    10:23 am September 16, 2020 Permalink

So I missed what they were saying about Tackett earlier. Are they talking about halting fall sports again?

10:26 am September 16, 2020 Permalink

Apparently he said a couple south central counties are not doing what they’re supposed to with masks and stuff and will be told they’re out.

• runningunnin.454
      10:28 am September 16, 2020 Permalink

Was he the one that said cheerleaders weren’t essential?

10:29 am September 16, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, that’s what the guys said. But they are “nice to have at the games”. Eeek.

10:30 am September 16, 2020 Permalink

Creeper alert!

10:38 am September 16, 2020 Permalink

I didn’t know Tackett said that about cheerleaders. But I believe it was Rick Bozich in the media that took some major blow back for saying that several months ago.

6. Realme
    10:24 am September 16, 2020 Permalink

Why does Matt think Tackett will tell him exactly which schools he’s referring to before he tells the schools? If he wanted it out there, he would already have said so.

7. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:25 am September 16, 2020 Permalink

With all due respect to the governor and Drew, we are not all in this together. The governor didn’t lose his job, nor any other politician nor most government employees.

10:27 am September 16, 2020 Permalink

But during these unprecedented times, we all have to do our part, so that we can get through this together! I just about made myself gag there.

10:30 am September 16, 2020 Permalink

Don’t forget to wash your hands. Haha.

Sometimes when I open an app (Twitter I think) there is a months old video from Dr. Fauci Twitter wants me to watch on how to social distance. Seriously? We don’t know by now? Incidentally, is saying “how to social distance” proper? Is that a verb now?

• RealCatsFan
      10:32 am September 16, 2020 Permalink

That’s the way it always is. Same can be said about the hurricanes, or the fires, etc. – the political leaders are rarely directly affected. We have been down this road before, and maybe they shouldn’t have shut anything down. But my argument is that if that initial wave had just been left to run its course, we would have had so many people sick and dying all at once that the economy would have tanked anyway. Who would want to go to a restaurant or bar if half the population is sick and everyone is worried about catching it?

10:35 am September 16, 2020 Permalink

You make some good points, but Sweden is reporting only 1 death a day right now (and I don’t minimize that…every life is precious) and they never locked down, but Spain, France, and Italy are all spiking. I know hindsight is 20/20, but a lot of people said the lockdowns were too draconian, but Trump chose to let Fauci and Birx run the whole show, and I believe that was a mistake.

• RealCatsFan
      10:52 am September 16, 2020 Permalink

Sweden is an interesting point, but at 10 million people versus 330 million, it’s a bit of an apples to oranges comparison in that respect. And their government still outlawed gatherings of more than 50 people, so there goes your large weddings, concerts, and sporting events. The government strongly advised social distancing, work from home, and other precautions, and their citizens were a lot better about following those recommendations because they are more willing to trust their government. They don’t have anywhere near the level of partisan politics and mistrust of the government due to misinformation and political sniping that we do over here.

11:13 am September 16, 2020 Permalink

Right, but IMO recommending working from home, etc., is a whole lot different than shutting down businesses by randomly deciding which ones are essential and which ones aren’t.

• RealCatsFan
      11:25 am September 16, 2020 Permalink

cg, we are closer to being in agreement than you realize. I’m in agreement that the decisions as to what businesses are “essential’ was rather capricious. The mask mandate is kind of the same way – we tried strongly advocating it, but so many people refused to do it that they had to mandate it. I’m afraid that in America the same thing would happen with businesses. Maybe I’m being cynical, but I see a lot of “me first” mentality being displayed in our society, and it seems to be getting worse. As the saying goes, “that’s why we can’t have nice things”. 🙂

11:31 am September 16, 2020 Permalink

Don’t get me started on the number of politicians who got caught violating their own, or their own state government’s, orders. And there are probably tons that we don’t know about.

8. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:28 am September 16, 2020 Permalink

BTW, the Big 10 is a joke. Zero leadership in that conference.

10:30 am September 16, 2020 Permalink

Probably will get the next NCAA boss from there then.

9. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:32 am September 16, 2020 Permalink

I’m at home today. My workplace closed here and in Mobile because of Sally. Mobile I get for sure, but I didn’t think it would be that bad here. A lot of rain for sure is expected, but I didn’t think we’d be home. I’ll take it though!

I could be wrong though. It’s moving so slowly it may be worse here than I’m thinking.

10:44 am September 16, 2020 Permalink

I saw on the news last night that the storm is moving at like 2 mph. Anybody who can walk could just outrun it by walking. I know that’s bad news for the areas that will have it just sitting there for so long, though.

• RealCatsFan
      10:53 am September 16, 2020 Permalink

I hope it peters out before it reaches you guys. Stay safe and dry!

11:04 am September 16, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, one of my adjuncts who used to teach for me in Mobile years ago gave me some history on different hurricanes. He talked about one that did what Sally is: pulling tons of water out of the bay and dumping it. Some others are not nearly as wet, and I guess it’s because they move faster. But then you get more downed trees and power outages and stuff I guess. It was years ago, but it was interesting to hear him talk about it.

• runningunnin.454
      11:07 am September 16, 2020 Permalink

Ha ha, Jake on two and a half men says, ha ha giggle giggle you said peters out.
      When I was in hs, our rival’s best player was injured, and couldn’t play. Their town’s newspaper ran the headline, “Yellowjackets will play with Peters out”.

• RealCatsFan
      11:20 am September 16, 2020 Permalink

HaHa, he said Peters, HaHa!

10. runningunnin.454
    10:37 am September 16, 2020 Permalink

Again with the non-conference games bugaboo. What is the fear? Especially playing teams that are close by, and you can take a bus…like 77.9 miles.

11. RealCatsFan
    10:41 am September 16, 2020 Permalink

Where is this “Poop State” that Ryan keeps talking about? Indiana?

11:05 am September 16, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, most people say “Little Sisters of the Poor” or something like that.

12. runningunnin.454
    10:52 am September 16, 2020 Permalink

Main problem is Diddle Arena only holds 7,000 fans. Other than that, though, it’s a great atmosphere. I go to a couple of their games every year.

• RealCatsFan
      10:54 am September 16, 2020 Permalink

I might try to make it down there for a volleyball game once life gets back to normal, now that I have a stake in WKU.

10:56 am September 16, 2020 Permalink

That arena is very underrated. Great venue for basketball.

13. RealCatsFan
    10:55 am September 16, 2020 Permalink

Bam blocking a dookie was sweet, but I am waiting for the day when the Brow swats one of Zion’s shots into the cheap seats. 🙂

11:01 am September 16, 2020 Permalink

I honestly don’t even care where a pro athlete went to college, except that I do enjoy seeing former Cats do well. It’s that mindset that allows me to grab some nice draft picks in fantasy football each year. I got made fun of by all the UK fans in my league when I selected Lamar Jackson last year. Guess who was laughing all the way to winning the title. 😉

• runningunnin.454
      11:24 am September 16, 2020 Permalink

Lamar who? You mean the guy that’s famous for the Heisman pose…and the fumble?

11:33 am September 16, 2020 Permalink

Yep, I think that’s the same one, rg. But when it comes to pro sports, and especially in fantasy sports, I cheer for me. I’m the captain of Team Scoundrel when prize money is on the line!

14. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:57 am September 16, 2020 Permalink

What is that clip from? It’s someone’s hot mic and they didn’t know?

11:08 am September 16, 2020 Permalink

How does saying terrible things into a hot mic keep happening? Are people on the air really that clueless? I see how they might not know the camera or mic are on, but some of the stuff that is said shouldn’t be said regardless. Maybe it’s arrogance on the part of some of these guys. I hate what happened with Thom Brennaman, but I always kind of got that arrogant vibe from him.

11:13 am September 16, 2020 Permalink

The one with the guys arguing? I don’t know who they are, but they were doing it on air.

11:32 am September 16, 2020 Permalink

That was something.

15. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    11:06 am September 16, 2020 Permalink

That lawyer who invented judo law sounds like Junior Samples.

11:13 am September 16, 2020 Permalink

Is their target client a 10 year old kid? So weird.

11:24 am September 16, 2020 Permalink

I’m normally on WHIR and wouldn’t have heard it but I logged onto WLAP today.

16. ClutchCargo
    11:18 am September 16, 2020 Permalink

Hey, Matt, a pine knot is not the same thing as pine nuts. Not something edible.

11:25 am September 16, 2020 Permalink

You can eat pine nuts. Nice in a pesto.

11:25 am September 16, 2020 Permalink

Oh never mind, you were just explaining the obvious to Matt.

11:33 am September 16, 2020 Permalink

Jason’s Deli has a great chicken panini with pesto.

11:38 am September 16, 2020 Permalink

I’m not a huge salad person, but their salad bar is (was) nice.

17. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    11:19 am September 16, 2020 Permalink

“You load sixteen tons, what do you get?
    Another day older and deeper in debt
    Saint Peter don’t you call me ’cause I can’t go
    I owe my soul to the company store.”

18. RealCatsFan
    11:25 am September 16, 2020 Permalink

Love, love, LOVE “Man of Constant Sorrow”.

11:28 am September 16, 2020 Permalink

Great song in a great soundtrack of a great movie!

19. Realme
    11:29 am September 16, 2020 Permalink

Oh people from Chicago absolutely know food. I would be so fat if I lived there. And no, Chicago pizza is not in any way lasagna.

11:39 am September 16, 2020 Permalink

Unpopular opinion here, but I think Chicago style pizza with the sauce on top is overrated.

11:42 am September 16, 2020 Permalink

Nope. You are wrong. See “I will fight you” comment below.

11:44 am September 16, 2020 Permalink

You’re not wrong if you mean Chicago “style” as in, a Kentucky restaurant with the term Chicago in their name fraudulently.

11:48 am September 16, 2020 Permalink

No, I’m thinking specifically Giordano’s. Food fight! I’ll be throwing my beloved Skyline Chili, btw. 🙂

11:58 am September 16, 2020 Permalink

I’ve never been in a fight. Do I get in you face and yell “You wanna GO, Clutch?”, or do I just start swinging?

12:01 pm September 16, 2020 Permalink

Giordano’s has a pastry layer under the sauce that can be doughy if not cooked perfectly. Lou Malnati, Gino’s East and Uno don’t, so if you ever try it again, try one of them. And don’t get weird with your toppings. Just cheese, or Italian sausage. Pepperoni and vegetables don’t do as well underneath.

12:02 pm September 16, 2020 Permalink

Also, Cinci chili smells so gross I can’t even try it. BARF! BARF, CLUTCH!

12:52 pm September 16, 2020 Permalink

I actually do like what I have had from Uno. I just used to work with a lot of Chicago people who went on and on about Giordano’s. I finally tried it and thought I was being set up or something. It just didn’t do much for me with that pasta layer. A good Detroit style pizza with that thick, crispy crust and crispy carmelized cheese on the edges is what i have discovered I like best. And I agree with keeping it fairly simple with toppings.

I think being grossed out by my thrown Skyline means you give up and I win.

20. runningunnin.454
    11:31 am September 16, 2020 Permalink

Hah, was in Chicago for a convention once, and went to one of their “great” restaurants for breakfast…terrible.
    If you want good food…go South.

11:36 am September 16, 2020 Permalink

I saw some steakhouse in Chicago featured on a Travel Channel show. They said people go there a lot after Bears games, and they cooked their fries in beef tallow. I would love to try it! There’s also a Chicago style pizza joint in Bham called Tortuga’s that a colleague said is fantastic. I wanted to try it once but it was a Monday and they close on Mondays. Grrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!! Mondays is when my classes used to meet and I would travel to the other campuses and my employer would pay for my meal.

11:41 am September 16, 2020 Permalink

Lou Mitchell’s and Original Pancake House-Chicago location specifically (I think that was the name) have amazing breakfast. I will fight you.

11:41 am September 16, 2020 Permalink

And we love the pizza enough to mail order it for too much money.

11:42 am September 16, 2020 Permalink

And the Italian Beefs are amazing.

11:45 am September 16, 2020 Permalink

I’ve eaten at Original Pancake House in Atlanta, and you’re right. I was great. I had a fantastic western omelet.

11:47 am September 16, 2020 Permalink

The one in Cinci wasn’t nearly as good, fyi.

• runningunnin.454
      11:57 am September 16, 2020 Permalink

Ha ha I have irritated Rm; how was their corn fritters, their grits, their vegetables? How was Chicago’s BBQ? Shrimp ?
      Give me New Orleans, any day over the Windy City.

12:04 pm September 16, 2020 Permalink

Oh, I would love that stuff too. But eggs, meats and pancakes very good there. Also, I am busy fighting Clutch. And you used to be a boxer, so might have to pull a Matt on this one and pretend I didn’t say it. 🙂

• runningunnin.454
      12:40 pm September 16, 2020 Permalink

Hah, Rm; I have had many fights with girls over my lifetime; and, I’ve never won once. Yeah, Chicago and NYC have their pizza places, steakhouses, and deli subs; but, I was thinking more on the lines of actual cooking and seasoning. Had a hot dog with fries in Chicago that was quite good. Also, had a good steak there; but, the sides (corn on the cob, green beans, and FF’s) were meh.

21. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    11:44 am September 16, 2020 Permalink

I never noticed this before. Matt and Shannon both say “BEAN-gals”.

11:47 am September 16, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, I wonder if Matt spells it Bingle.

11:50 am September 16, 2020 Permalink

He probably stays at a hotel in Kitten County when he goes to a Bingles game.

22. runningunnin.454
    11:45 am September 16, 2020 Permalink

Bengals vs the Browns? Will anyone…win?

11:50 am September 16, 2020 Permalink

Will anyone watch or even care?

• runningunnin.454
      11:53 am September 16, 2020 Permalink

Oh yeah, I’ll watch…maybe a QB battle.

• Laker Cat 18
      11:58 am September 16, 2020 Permalink

Yes. The Browns should win based on talent, but the Bengals will win because the Browns are still the Browns.