KSR Show Thread 9/15: McCracken County Spotlight

Good morning, friends, and welcome to the Tuesday edition of Kentucky Sports Radio. Today, the gang is back in studio to recap two Monday Night Football games and a newsy Mark Stoops radio show. They’ll also shine the KSR spotlight on McCracken County, so get ready with your fun facts, Paducah peeps.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

87 Comments for KSR Show Thread 9/15: McCracken County Spotlight

1. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:00 am September 15, 2020 Permalink

I used to live on McCracken Drive in Lexington at one time. Is that close enough? Haha.

10:06 am September 15, 2020 Permalink

Eh, close enogh.

10:28 am September 15, 2020 Permalink

What a gross looking typo.

10:38 am September 15, 2020 Permalink

Release the McCracken!

2. runningunnin.454
    10:05 am September 15, 2020 Permalink

Hoo Aah, the Benny and Bud show. Benny with 100+ and 6yd/carry. Bud terrorized that former Dookie QB; he’ll have nightmares for weeks.

10:08 am September 15, 2020 Permalink

Two guys anyone would want on their team.

10:09 am September 15, 2020 Permalink

I would have taken Benny in the later rounds of my fantasy league draft if it had happened this year. *sniff*

10:11 am September 15, 2020 Permalink

And I have a knack for finding hidden gems (think Lamar Jackson in the 9th round last year), so that’s supposed to be high praise. 🙂

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:11 am September 15, 2020 Permalink

They should be Bengals. 😉

10:12 am September 15, 2020 Permalink

What did they ever do to you, cg? lol I say that as a recovering Bengals fan.

• runningunnin.454
      10:13 am September 15, 2020 Permalink

Might know they would lead with the Titans.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:23 am September 15, 2020 Permalink

I’m surprised Drew didn’t implement more Titan coverage since they’re covering the Reds and Bengals. westkycat would be happy (I think he said he likes the Titans).

10:38 am September 15, 2020 Permalink

I think westkycat’s Titans comment was more a geographical argument, and that he hates non-UK sports discussion on a UK fan site.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:49 am September 15, 2020 Permalink

True, and there are Reds and Bengals sites out there, but as I also told him, Matt has refused to not do politics, and it’s his site.

3. runningunnin.454
    10:12 am September 15, 2020 Permalink

Just fall back 30 minutes; there, problem solved.

10:19 am September 15, 2020 Permalink

Ha ha genius.

10:22 am September 15, 2020 Permalink

Are we talking about spring forward and fall back? I missed that part.

10:24 am September 15, 2020 Permalink

Well, first of all, Matt asked if we fall back this weekend.

10:31 am September 15, 2020 Permalink

I used to do business with a company that is based in India, in the India time zone, which is 9.5 hrs ahead of EST. Not confusing or inconvenient at all. I think I would have to give up and put a separate clock on the wall to keep up with that if we had that time change.

10:40 am September 15, 2020 Permalink

I think fall-back is in October. I vote that we just stay with DST. I hate it when it gets dark at 5:00.

10:43 am September 15, 2020 Permalink

Agree, RCF. I’m even struggling right now with it getting dark at 8:00. I had gotten into a pattern of mowing the lawn at 7 pm, which makes it tough to get done before dark now.

10:43 am September 15, 2020 Permalink

It’s early November now, and I agree, just stay sprung forward.

4. ClutchCargo
    10:18 am September 15, 2020 Permalink

KSR logic: if we say something, and a large university doesn’t address it publicly, it must be true.

5. runningunnin.454
    10:21 am September 15, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, break it; all’s fair in love, war…and football. Obviously, I am not a gentleman. HA HA HA

10:23 am September 15, 2020 Permalink

If we get into a situation where it could cost us the game, we’d be chumps to abide by an agreement that was stupid in the first place.

10:23 am September 15, 2020 Permalink

Also not a gentleman, hee haw.

10:27 am September 15, 2020 Permalink

Ya’ll may be right. But I don’t see any way Gatewood is playing against Auburn, so I think it’s a non-issue.

• runningunnin.454
      10:29 am September 15, 2020 Permalink

Realme and I are scoundrels. But, why should a former school have anything to say about a guy’s future? If we, don’t get Gatewood and Sarr immediately eligible…I’m going to get pretty mad.

10:36 am September 15, 2020 Permalink

I get that you have to do whatever it takes to win, but I don’t think I could agree to something like that and then not follow through. I’m probably a chump for thinking like that, but it’s the right thing to do if we really believe the coaching staff is teaching these guys how to be adults and not just football players.

• runningunnin.454
      10:41 am September 15, 2020 Permalink

Matt wrong again; yes, the sec will have to approve the Gatewood eligibility since he transferred from another sec school.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:52 am September 15, 2020 Permalink

My thing is what if we get 2 QBs hurt against Auburn? Not likely, but Scalzo is out. Beau Allen might turn out to be a phenom, but he’s a freshman, and at least Gatewood has taken a few snaps and been in college 1 year.

11:01 am September 15, 2020 Permalink

So are you Team Scoundrel then Chris? 🙂

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:41 am September 15, 2020 Permalink

100!!!

11:48 am September 15, 2020 Permalink

6. runningunnin.454
    10:37 am September 15, 2020 Permalink

MJ talking about working men; and telling people what they can wear. I’ll retire to Bedlam.

10:39 am September 15, 2020 Permalink

Matt Explains Things For Which He Has No Credibility – our regularly scheduled favorite segment.

10:42 am September 15, 2020 Permalink

I mean, seriously. Dude will go on tv, in a hoodie with no tshirt under it in the middle of summer. I hope he is better at doing laundry than all the other domestic stuff (except scented candles), but I suspect he just wears them once and throws them in a trash pile.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:42 am September 15, 2020 Permalink

I remember him saying once “Who wears cargo shorts?!” Uh, lots of people dude. It was one example of many that just because he doesn’t use/wear them…and who made him a fashion critic anyway? Word to Realme!

7. Laker Cat 18
    10:44 am September 15, 2020 Permalink

Best part of KSBar is the waitresses skirts? That and the chili? Interesting…

10:45 am September 15, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, see below. Not creepy at all!

10:45 am September 15, 2020 Permalink

I missed that. Please tell me it was at least a guy their age and not a creep old enough to be said waitresses’ father.

10:48 am September 15, 2020 Permalink

Well, I guess the commercials for the “Louisville Men’s Clinic” aren’t creepy either. “Priapice therapy”? Eeeek!

10:49 am September 15, 2020 Permalink

I can’t get past the part where they say you try it right there in the office so you know it works. Nah, I’m good.

10:51 am September 15, 2020 Permalink

I picture a dude with a bunch of medical staff gathered around watching to see if it works.

11:00 am September 15, 2020 Permalink

If the time ever comes when I need that kind of help, I don’t know what I’m going to do. Because I sure as hell can’t see doing that!

11:05 am September 15, 2020 Permalink

I hope it’s not cold in that office. Picture the cute nurse pointing and giggling. 🙂

• runningunnin.454
      11:17 am September 15, 2020 Permalink

I knew a guy whose wife sued for divorce because he couldn’t get an erection; he said his argument wouldn’t stand up in court.
      My wife said a I need an erection enhancer; so I got one…her name is Tammy, and she’s 21.
      Rm, leave us old creeps alone,
      Okay, I’ll leave now.

11:21 am September 15, 2020 Permalink

rg, sounds like she was trying to play hardball with him.

11:28 am September 15, 2020 Permalink

LOL you guys. RG I did like the first one better. 🙂

• runningunnin.454
      11:36 am September 15, 2020 Permalink

Hah, I said I would leave; but, I didn’t, I went the other way. Reminds me when I was 17, my cousin Mary Beth wanted to fix me up on a blind date with a friend of hers,
      I said obviously you don’t know my policy about blind dates!
      She said, “come on, her name is Tammy, she’s a lingerie model, and she’s lonely”.
      I said Oh, you do know my policy.

11:40 am September 15, 2020 Permalink

Ha ha! In all seriousness, there’s a huge difference for me between a joke about a hypothetical young woman and someone actually creeping on specific college age girls.

Now if you ever were one of the dudes who liked to rate the women on those gross “girl(s) of the day wants KSR notes” or whatever, tisk tisk.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:44 am September 15, 2020 Permalink

I hate to encourage this sort of talk, but obligatory Seinfeld reference, “Like a frightened turtle!”

• runningunnin.454
      11:47 am September 15, 2020 Permalink

Hypothetical? Hah, that last one was not hypothetical.
      But, seriously…the rating game? Not me, not me…I’m married, harmless…and worn out; wink, wink.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:49 am September 15, 2020 Permalink

I will say this about that call (which I didn’t hear…was away from my desk): that guy may be a creeper, I don’t know. However, what I do know is if someone (male or female) chooses to dress provocatively, they don’t get to choose the age (or any other trait) of who ogles them. The Good Book teaches us to dress modestly (I Timothy 2).

11:56 am September 15, 2020 Permalink

I don’t fully disagree with you, I find some of the things women wear in public disturbing nowadays, but… an adult male is 100% personally responsible for any ogling or creeping that he does.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      12:13 pm September 15, 2020 Permalink

Yes they are. And some will ogle regardless, but some things are kind of a 2 way street.

1:06 pm September 15, 2020 Permalink

I get it – some women WANT to be oogled, and dress that way with a purpose. But there are also some who do not have that as their intention. You can’t expect women to walk around in a burka to keep the creeps from whistling at them. And if they want to exercise in public, they should be able to wear shorts and a running singlet without some knuckle dragger howling at them. My daughters play volleyball, and the volleyball tights that they wear are very form fitting. It’s just what just about every player in that sport wears. I guess I should just be glad they are not wearing what some of the women’s pro beach players have on.

8. RealCatsFan
    10:44 am September 15, 2020 Permalink

What started as a nice complimentary call turned a little creepy when he started talking about the waitresses short skirts. Is this Uncle Joe on the phone? (He was way too subtle to be Donald. 🙂 )

9. Realme
    10:48 am September 15, 2020 Permalink

I just felt bad about saying too many mean things about Matt, but he won’t stop playing this terrible music. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10:52 am September 15, 2020 Permalink

STOP THE PRESSES! Matt just properly corrected someone else’s mispronunciation.

10:55 am September 15, 2020 Permalink

Are you sure? Just because he speaks confidently doesn’t mean he’s right, lol.

10:56 am September 15, 2020 Permalink

• Laker Cat 18
      10:57 am September 15, 2020 Permalink

As soon as Ky Joe calls, I’m out as usual. Just a heads up!

11:05 am September 15, 2020 Permalink

So it sounds like my customer phone call was well-timed for once. 🙂

11:06 am September 15, 2020 Permalink

PS, “Highfalutin'” used to be the name of a buddy’s houseboat. I thought it was a great name.

11:11 am September 15, 2020 Permalink

Did Matt seriously just say “zee-lots” instead of “zeh-lots”? lol

11:16 am September 15, 2020 Permalink

smh

10. RealCatsFan
    11:07 am September 15, 2020 Permalink

Hell must be loaded with political commercials.

11:08 am September 15, 2020 Permalink

And politicians. So that makes total sense.

11. ClutchCargo
    11:12 am September 15, 2020 Permalink

I’m relieved that McCracken is named after a guy named Virgil and not Phil. 🙂

11:13 am September 15, 2020 Permalink

You actually got me choking on my coffee to keep it from spraying all over my keyboard! Now everyone in the office thinks I have COVID.

11:16 am September 15, 2020 Permalink

Crap, Ryan made a similar joke just as I was typing that. But I got the idea from the old “Show With No Name” on WQMF back in the day. It was a skit by Terry Meiners and Ron Clay about these two gay cops named Ben Dover and Phil McCracken.

11:20 am September 15, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, I remember that. Sergeant Ben Dover and Lieutenant Phil McCracken. 🙂

12. RealCatsFan
    11:18 am September 15, 2020 Permalink

The Uranium plant that Matt was talking about reminds me of the chemical plant that my wife used to work for. She would come home with headaches from the fumes because they used to prop the door from the chemical mixing room open because it got hot in there. Then all the fumes got sucked right into her office. After working there, she developed cancer, while pregnant with our second. We got her the hell out of there. She’s fine now, so we are blessed, but I’m still mad about the total disdain shown for those employees. She wasn’t the only one who worked there that developed cancer. Probably at least a dozen others.

11:22 am September 15, 2020 Permalink

Whoa, glad she’s okay. I used to work in a Kmart garden shop, and would go home absolutely reeking of the lawn chemicals, whether I touched anything or not. Glad I didn’t do that more than a couple summers.

11:26 am September 15, 2020 Permalink

Radium Girls is a great book if you want to really be disturbed These women were expected to use their lips to make a point on their paint brush in order to paint glow in the dark watch faces. They had their bodies destroyed head to toe, because the radium was replacing the calcium in their bones, in addition to straight poisoning them. One went to the dentist and a piece of her jaw just came right out.

11:31 am September 15, 2020 Permalink

Sounds like they made a movie about the book.

11:33 am September 15, 2020 Permalink

We actually consulted a lawyer and were told that Kentucky is a workman’s comp state, which make it difficult to sue them outright for damages. And proving that the chemical exposure was the cause of the cancer would have been difficult.

11:33 am September 15, 2020 Permalink

Oh yeah, I meant to watch that.

11:39 am September 15, 2020 Permalink

Glad Mrs. RCF is fine now. And Radium Girls sounds horrifying.

11:49 am September 15, 2020 Permalink

I jumped down the rabbit hole reading about radium poisoning. They actually sold radium infused water back then as a cure-all. One dude drank it every day, and eventually his jaw basically fell off. Scary.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:52 am September 15, 2020 Permalink

All I can say to all of that is wow.

13. Realme
    11:43 am September 15, 2020 Permalink

Are they talking about the man who used to be on display in Mammoth Cave, or a different “mummy”?

• runningunnin.454
      11:49 am September 15, 2020 Permalink

Missed that; you mean that guy is not there, anymore?

12:11 pm September 15, 2020 Permalink

There was this mummified body in a house in Paducah years ago, and may or may not still be there. That’s what they’re talking about. I remember seeing that on some tv special. It might have been one of those Americana, but specific to KY, peices Byron Crawford used to do.

14. runningunnin.454
    11:51 am September 15, 2020 Permalink

Well, it’s a about time, Matt; get on board with the Steelers.

15. az1006
    4:15 pm September 15, 2020 Permalink

Did you guys forget about Marshall County?