KSR Show Thread 9/14: Somerset Golf Scramble

Good morning, friends, and welcome to the Monday edition of Kentucky Sports Radio. Today, the gang is coming to you live from Woodson Bend Resort at Lake Cumberland for the Somerset Golf Scramble. Tune in to hear their takes on a very busy sports weekend and what you can look forward to in our own world of UK sports this week.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

60 Comments for KSR Show Thread 9/14: Somerset Golf Scramble

1. Realme
    10:01 am September 14, 2020 Permalink

What the hell, you guys? Monday EVERY week?

10:05 am September 14, 2020 Permalink

• runningunnin.454
      10:07 am September 14, 2020 Permalink

Oooh, Michelle Phillips…big time crush.

10:09 am September 14, 2020 Permalink

They had some awesome harmonies too.

• ClutchCargo
      10:15 am September 14, 2020 Permalink

rg, is it the sitting in the bathtub with pajamas on and eating grapes that did it for you? 🙂

10:17 am September 14, 2020 Permalink

It’s too bad that she & John’s (was that his name?) daughter Mackenzie lived such a tough life.

• runningunnin.454
      10:20 am September 14, 2020 Permalink

Clutch, are you sayin’ that didn’t do it for you? Ha ha, no; I was in love in 1965.

• ClutchCargo
      10:29 am September 14, 2020 Permalink

I wasn’t even conceived yet when that song/video came out. So, no. 🙂

• runningunnin.454
      10:40 am September 14, 2020 Permalink

Well, I mean…you just saw it; your BP didn’t rise a little bit? Ha ha, reminds me of a beautiful doctor from India that took my BP once, she said, “You’re BP keeps going up”
      Well, duh.

• Realme
      10:45 am September 14, 2020 Permalink

Ha!

• RealCatsFan
      11:27 am September 14, 2020 Permalink

She was Mackenzie Phillips’ mom, right? Mackenzie made her movie debut in one of my favorite movies, “American Graffiti”.

• runningunnin.454
      11:46 am September 14, 2020 Permalink

You’re right RCF. Great movie…”I don’t like this surfin’ $hit”. But I think her mother was Phillips’ first wife.

12:08 pm September 14, 2020 Permalink

I forgot she was in American Graffiti.

2. runningunnin.454
    10:01 am September 14, 2020 Permalink

Hey, Bengals; we can get you Austin MacGinnis’ phone number.

• Realme
      10:03 am September 14, 2020 Permalink

What do these teams see when they look at him that isn’t a better kicker than what they have?

10:13 am September 14, 2020 Permalink

The only thing I can think of is this: a lot of QBs are great in college but not the pros. Same with a 3 point shooter in bball. When it’s draft time, or once they play in the pros, you hear that their release is just a tad slow or something like that. Could he be just a split-second too slow (or something similar) considering that NFL linemen are faster than most college linemen and there’s more of a chance of his kicks getting blocked?

I dunno. Just thinking out loud, and I didn’t watch Hard Knocks. I don’t understand why he doesn’t have a job either. Maybe if The Rock makes the XFL work he can hook up with a team there, but I don’t know how much those guys made, or will be making.

• Realme
      10:24 am September 14, 2020 Permalink

It’s gotta be some dumb detail like that, that they find more important than his actual abilities.

3. runningunnin.454
    10:05 am September 14, 2020 Permalink

Bah, we don’t get to kick Louisville’s butt this year in football; now we don’t get to kick their butts in basketball? I guess I’m dumb; if you’re going to play…why does it matter whom you play? Just don’t get the conference only schedules. We have Auburn; but, the ACC has Virginia Tech?

• ClutchCargo
      10:09 am September 14, 2020 Permalink

Is it possibly that the conferences want to have more control over whether the games involving their member schools happen? That’s all I’ve got.

10:20 am September 14, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, I think so. I mentioned this on the “Today on KSR” thread: The SEC apparently wanted to wait a little later also to see what would happen with Covid in early to mid-September:

“A lot of it apparently is that it gave the SEC more time, by starting later, to see what happens with Covid in early to mid-September. Also, I’m guessing another reason is if we didn’t like another conference’s protocols for Covid, it doesn’t affect whether we play or not.”

I still want to play UL though, but oh well.

4. Realme
    10:10 am September 14, 2020 Permalink

Man, he sure thinks him being on another radio show is interesting.

• ClutchCargo
      10:12 am September 14, 2020 Permalink

Haha! What? You’re not fascinated by this?

• ClutchCargo
      10:13 am September 14, 2020 Permalink

For real, though. If I cared about that other show, I would have listened to that other show.

• Realme
      10:13 am September 14, 2020 Permalink

I mean, I do wish they could play the clip of him saying Fuh-eye.

10:17 am September 14, 2020 Permalink

What was going on? I missed it.

• ClutchCargo
      10:21 am September 14, 2020 Permalink

Absolutely nothing other than a boring rehash of some other radio show Matt was on, cg. Kinda funny story about getting tongue tied and pronouncing Buckeyes more like Suckeyes, but beginning with an “F”.

• Realme
      10:21 am September 14, 2020 Permalink

He tried to say “former Buckeye” on his super riveting other radio show, and instead just put them together, replacing the B in Buckeye with the F.

• runningunnin.454
      10:23 am September 14, 2020 Permalink

I missed that, too. Did that actually get out?

10:25 am September 14, 2020 Permalink

Oh, his ESPN weekend gig I guess. The one where he played up the hillbilly image of Kentucky.

BTW, I’m not ashamed of hillbillies. I just didn’t like him making people think everyone in Kentucky still lives like the BEVERLY Hillbillies, pre-Beverly Hills. Of course they were from TN.

• Realme
      10:25 am September 14, 2020 Permalink

It did, but he can’t play the clip for us this morning for obvious reasons.

• runningunnin.454
      10:32 am September 14, 2020 Permalink

Okay, Chris…now Donna Douglas; stop it! But, I think they were from Missouri.

10:34 am September 14, 2020 Permalink

Mizzou? Hmmm…

5. RealCatsFan
    10:17 am September 14, 2020 Permalink

So we went to a wedding Saturday. 200 people crowded indoors, no masks, no distancing. If I catch COVID19 I’m sic’ing Andy on them.

The whole HS coaching staff and over half the team. If we don’t have a season due to COVID19, this will probably be why. Guess we’ll know in a week or so. I hope it’s all fake news like Donnie has been promising us. I really do.

• Realme
      10:22 am September 14, 2020 Permalink

Well, that sounds like a bad idea.

6. Bluehender
    10:45 am September 14, 2020 Permalink

The best Batman was the original one, Adam West. Am I right rg?

• runningunnin.454
      10:56 am September 14, 2020 Permalink

Pardon me, I went to the Batroom. But did you know, later in his career, he was demoted to playing in soft core, like they show on Cinemax…of course, I didn’t watch them.
      Did you see the story about the Ole Miss cups? Ha ha, Drew is the only person in the country that would recognize that guy.
      But seriously, those little tiny pictures…the person that first noticed that would have to be…weird.

• ClutchCargo
      10:59 am September 14, 2020 Permalink

Not rg, but I agree. The reruns of that show are my earliest memories of Batman, and I was never into the dark, comic book version. The campy style of the show was the best.

• runningunnin.454
      11:10 am September 14, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, I watched the TV Batman; but, was never into the Batman comics; I liked the Superman comics better. Actually, I’ve never even seen any of the Batman movies.

11:11 am September 14, 2020 Permalink

Years ago, AMC (when it was actually American Movie Classics) showed, every Saturday, the Batman serials from 1943 that were shown in the theatre every Saturday. I never knew they existed. Their car was just a car, and Robin never fought well and Batman always had to save him. Haha.
      Here it is:

11:12 am September 14, 2020 Permalink

11:13 am September 14, 2020 Permalink

BTW, there was a 1949 movie also:

• Bluehender
      11:15 am September 14, 2020 Permalink

I did not know that rg. And I’m with you Clutch. It was corny but I liked it..

• ClutchCargo
      11:23 am September 14, 2020 Permalink

Bluehender, when I was a little kid I knocked the wind out of myself and though I would never breathe again when I was trying to use a vine to scale the side of a tree like Batman used to walk up the side of a building.

• RealCatsFan
      11:31 am September 14, 2020 Permalink

Jingle bells, Batman smells, Robin laid an egg…”

George Barris did a helluva job on the original Batmobile. Thought it was way cool when I was a kid.

7. runningunnin.454
    10:49 am September 14, 2020 Permalink

Did y’all see the video of the Tuscaloosa hs game with 10 laterals to win the game with 0:00 on the clock? Hilarious, halfway through the video, you can hear some woman in her best Bama accent…”What are we doin”
    Hah, she didn’t get the whole lateral thing, at all.

• Realme
      10:54 am September 14, 2020 Permalink

Well it might be the wackiest looking thing in major sports.

11:13 am September 14, 2020 Permalink

Smoke’s alma mater! Although I think it was his team that lost.

8. Laker Cat 18
    11:01 am September 14, 2020 Permalink

Braedon Sloan from Wayne County had 29 carries for 294 yards and 5 TDs against us Friday night. Tell me how he isn’t being talked about as one of the top candidates for Kentucky Mr. Football.

9. ClutchCargo
    11:13 am September 14, 2020 Permalink

That “gentlemen’s” agreement sounds about right. Good on Matt for not plaything the “I know something, but can’t tell you” game for once. But I would love to see Gatewood come in and score the game winning TD at the goal line. 🙂

• ClutchCargo
      11:14 am September 14, 2020 Permalink

Pretty sure every TD is scored at the goal line, but you know what I mean.

10. Realme
    11:24 am September 14, 2020 Permalink

How are these guys so bad at making a bee buzzing sound?

11. runningunnin.454
    11:32 am September 14, 2020 Permalink

Free Olivier now; the ncaa won’t break the Iranian Hostage Crisis record, so free him now. Gatewood, too…this is ridiculous.

• Realme
      11:34 am September 14, 2020 Permalink

And they plan to furlough a crap ton of staff soon! Just clear everyone and be done with it.

12. Realme
    11:33 am September 14, 2020 Permalink

Boy, the political ads have really ramped up on WHIR. Never heard one, and thought, yes, now I want to vote for the person responsible for making me listen to that.

• runningunnin.454
      11:35 am September 14, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, even ads on national TV cable and satellite channels. And, how many annoying phone calls are you getting from Washington D.C.?

13. runningunnin.454
    11:40 am September 14, 2020 Permalink

Here’s the deal. Cal held Bam back…just like Boogie, ha ha. No ha ha.

14. Laker Cat 18
    11:42 am September 14, 2020 Permalink

All the NBA teams left have at least 1 Cat on the roster. I’m really pulling for the Nuggets and Heat in the Finals!

Lakers – Davis, Rondo
    Heat – Bam, Herro
    Celtics – Kanter
    Nuggets – Murray
    Clippers – Patterson

• ClutchCargo
      3:34 pm September 14, 2020 Permalink

I’m a Celtics fan from way back. But I will happily cheer for the Heat if they advance to the NBA finals. Should be a great Eastern conference finals.

15. Bluehender
    11:47 am September 14, 2020 Permalink

Nothing worse than getting the wind knocked out of you Clutch..

• Bluehender
      11:48 am September 14, 2020 Permalink

Well this was meant for an earlier comment..