KSR Show Thread, 9/11: We’re at Frederick Douglass H.S.

Today’s KSR radio show is coming to you from Frederick Douglass High School where Matt Jones, Ryan Lemond and I are tailgating for tonight’s Kroger/KSR Game of the Week. We’ll preview the game, talk to you about the latest news, and maybe get to Lyon County.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

Article written by Drew Franklin

63 Comments for KSR Show Thread, 9/11: We’re at Frederick Douglass H.S.

1. runningunnin.454
    10:10 am September 11, 2020 Permalink

You’re driving to Lyon County, LOL. I can tell you Lyon Co has a terrific point guard named Travis Perry who has started for the varsity since the 8th grade. I watched him play last season as a freshman, and he hung 40 points on Hopkins Co Central.

10:12 am September 11, 2020 Permalink

I’m not driving.

10:36 am September 11, 2020 Permalink

I can drive if ya’ll chip in some gas money. We can do it like my buddies and I used to do on road trips. Everybody just put a 20 in the middle console for gas, and we divvy up whatever is left afterwards.

10:43 am September 11, 2020 Permalink

Well, let’s see if today’s discussion even makes us want to go there. πŸ™‚

2. Realme
    10:14 am September 11, 2020 Permalink

Clutch! How are your K fund points?

10:25 am September 11, 2020 Permalink

Eh, not that great. I’m the cheapskate who has seats in the lowest row that doesn’t require K Fund donation and doesn’t have tickets to any other sport. As for jumping through the hoops to *maybe* get to buy tickets over and above what I have already paid, I’m not feeling it. I ended up opting out and requesting a refund, which I didn’t anticipate doing until I sat down and thought about it. No matter if I donate my ticket money (nope), roll it to 2021 or get a refund, I will be able to renew my current seats next year. I just can’t see giving them interest-free use of my money until next spring. Also, I can take that money and pay cash for the new set of tires I’m about to need.

• runningunnin.454
      10:35 am September 11, 2020 Permalink

Sad to say; but, sometimes my alma mater reminds me of a street walker.

• RealCatsFan
      10:38 am September 11, 2020 Permalink

rg, I think of stagecoach robber myself. University-6 is more appropriate for the street walker reference. πŸ˜‰

10:39 am September 11, 2020 Permalink

Ha ha STICK ‘EM UP!

10:39 am September 11, 2020 Permalink

I’m not mad at anybody, just disappointed that we’re still dealing with this virus crap to the point that it affects football. Honestly, a big part of the fun of going to games is being a part of a big, loud crowd and that’s not happening for anybody this season. But it’s kind of a good problem to have, I guess. If we had kept Joker as coach, everyone who wanted to go could be there. πŸ™‚

• RealCatsFan
      10:41 am September 11, 2020 Permalink

Good luck with the tires, Clutch. About to do the same thing for the new ride. I’m a Michelin guy, but they ain’t cheap. In my area, I have found Discount Tire to consistently offer the best tires and service. And they will fix a flat for you free of charge whether you bought the tire from them or not. Smart marketing, really.

10:42 am September 11, 2020 Permalink

It feels more like panhandling to me than robber or street walker.

10:42 am September 11, 2020 Permalink

At least if they’re finally divvying tickets, maybe they believe a game will take place. I’m not surprised that the game the guys talked about was loud. Only a portion of the fans in the stands can be bothered to make noise on any given day, and those are probably the same people that tried hardest to get in there.

10:45 am September 11, 2020 Permalink

RCF, I’m open to all tire options except ever stepping foot in a TiresPlus again.

10:48 am September 11, 2020 Permalink

Realme, you’re exactly right about the noise. That Missouri monsoon game last season was the most awesome small crowd I have ever experienced.

3. RealCatsFan
    10:36 am September 11, 2020 Permalink

Sooo, looks like we found a car for daughter#2. I swore I would never own another black vehicle because they show EVERYTHING, but we couldn’t pass it up, it was in such good condition – single family owned, low miles, etc. She is on cloud-9. And I’m grumbling about spending money. She gets to cover gas and her part of the insurance. Now momma wants a new car too! It never ends.

10:40 am September 11, 2020 Permalink

Are you resisting the urge to remind her to not do what her sister did to hers?

• RealCatsFan
      10:44 am September 11, 2020 Permalink

Oh, believe me, she knows! She was with her when it happened. To her credit, daughter#1 paid for fixing the damage out of her own pocket.

Daughter#2 is a pretty good driver, but she worries me because she is becoming a gearhead like her dad. She has an eye for exotics like Lambo’s and Ferrari’s. Hopefully she doesn’t imagine herself driving one of these.

10:51 am September 11, 2020 Permalink

Hmmm… what age were you when you got your first, um, speedy car?

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:15 am September 11, 2020 Permalink

What kind of car?

• RealCatsFan
      11:17 am September 11, 2020 Permalink

Learned to drive in my mom’s 1973 Ford Maverick 4-door with the mighty 250 cubic inch 6-cylinder. I could actually get it to do a donut in the HS parking lot if I cut the wheel to the right and nailed it. Of course, I had no idea why the engine started making that funny tick-tick-tick sound…

My actual first car that belonged to me was a 1976 Camaro. Took some engine modifications before you could call it a “speedy car”. Learned a lot working on that one – and totaled it twice. Rebuilt it both times.

11:24 am September 11, 2020 Permalink

Well I can’t say she should get the equivalent in order to not be sexist, unless she learns to do it herself. πŸ™‚

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:53 am September 11, 2020 Permalink

What did you wind up getting your daughter?

• RealCatsFan
      1:12 pm September 11, 2020 Permalink

2012 Mazda3. Fun little car, but damn, the console “cubbyhole” ahead of the shifter is barely big enough for a pack of gum. Don’t know where you would keep things like sunglasses.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      6:53 pm September 11, 2020 Permalink

Or your pistol. πŸ˜‰

4. runningunnin.454
    10:44 am September 11, 2020 Permalink

I read every word on the coachrupp.com site, and it’s a great presentation. Especially the time Coach told the boosters that were chastising him about recruiting Wes Unseld…”I want all you son of beechin, bastid r*a*c*i*s*t*s out of this office, and don’t ever come back”. That was from assistant coach Neil Reed, and I had not heard that story.

• RealCatsFan
      10:48 am September 11, 2020 Permalink

Not directly related, but didn’t IU have a player named Neil Reed?

10:54 am September 11, 2020 Permalink

That IU player Neil Reid getting choked by Bobby Knight was kind of the beginning of the end for that old bastid, I seem to remember.

• runningunnin.454
      10:56 am September 11, 2020 Permalink

Don’t know; Rupp’s assistant was from Indiana; but, played basketball and baseball at Illinois, I think.

• RealCatsFan
      11:02 am September 11, 2020 Permalink

I think the kid that Knight choked was in the 90’s, so obviously not the same individual, but perhaps related.

And yes, Rupp is not here to defend himself against accusations of racism, but there are plenty of others who knew him to dispute it.

11:20 am September 11, 2020 Permalink

Sad that the IU Neil Reid died at an early age a few years back. Going off on a tangent here, but I ended up in Lubbock TX a few years ago for work, back when BK was the coach at Texas Tech. I was still really into golf at that time, and I went over to the really nice university course alone to get a quick round in. The guy in the clubhouse told me he was going to put me with some basketball coaches. It turned out to be Stew Robinson (of IU fame back in their good old days) another coach named Bubba (of course, it’s Texas) and some other dude. Stew stood out as a really good dude to just hang out with and could hit a golf ball about two miles, although he had no idea where it was going to go.

5. RealCatsFan
    10:46 am September 11, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, it’s kind of interesting to see all of the old jalopies from the 50’s and 60’s still on the road in Cuba. Some of them are held together with duct tape and baling wire, but they keep em going.

6. RealCatsFan
    10:47 am September 11, 2020 Permalink

Welp, Fox and Monk part deaux sounds good to me!

7. ClutchCargo
    10:53 am September 11, 2020 Permalink

Who knowingly pronounces words ending in “k” without making the k sound? That’s a new one on me.

10:57 am September 11, 2020 Permalink

We had a convenience store that ended in -Mart down the street, and my neighbors insisted on calling it whatever-Mark.

10:58 am September 11, 2020 Permalink

*growing up

• runningunnin.454
      11:00 am September 11, 2020 Permalink

Um how does that affect the queen mother of dirty words?

11:02 am September 11, 2020 Permalink

What the fuh do you mean?

11:04 am September 11, 2020 Permalink

I was born in south central KY, so I have been exposed to some bad pronunciation in my life, and have even done my share of it. But c’mon people!

11:06 am September 11, 2020 Permalink

LOL at rg and Realme! A “q” or just “k” works for that and the mod bot doesn’t care if you spell it that way.

11:11 am September 11, 2020 Permalink

Whut in the world was that?

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:15 am September 11, 2020 Permalink

I was late betting on. What did they say? And by the way, how do you say β€œKoach K”?

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:16 am September 11, 2020 Permalink

Getting in…

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:17 am September 11, 2020 Permalink

And how do you say UK if the K is silent?

11:29 am September 11, 2020 Permalink

cg, apparently Matt somehow says “mask” without making the k sound at the end, for example. Also, “ask” doesn’t end in k in Matt’s world.

• runningunnin.454
      11:36 am September 11, 2020 Permalink

So let me axe you a question; does that mean Matt is an ass?

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:59 am September 11, 2020 Permalink

I often have trouble slurring when saying “asks” or “asked” or “masks”, so when I try to make sure I’m pronouncing them correctly, I wonder if everyone else hears me saying “ask-uhs” or “ask-uh-d” or some such.

8. RealCatsFan
    11:00 am September 11, 2020 Permalink

Interesting that they will not let Stoops into a HS football game. My kid has been trading emails with a college coaches about them coming to watch her play, and they are only allowing 2 parents to attend per player. Wondering how it will work if a player has legitimate interest of playing at the next level and cannot even invite a coach to watch them play.

11:13 am September 11, 2020 Permalink

I think the kid could list a coach as a “friend” who would be allowed in. At least I think that would be possible given how they are doing these early HS football games.

• Laker Cat 18
      11:47 am September 11, 2020 Permalink

Have the college coach contact the high school coach or AD. We would put their names on our very short pass list for trainers, assistant coaches, media, etc.

• Laker Cat 18
      11:48 am September 11, 2020 Permalink

Home games are much easier to get tickets than road games. We go on the road this week and were only allotted 120 tickets (2 per 60 players we are allowed to dress). I’m surprised they didn’t make the opposing coaches pay to get in. They can fit more, but they want a “home” crowd.

9. runningunnin.454
    11:22 am September 11, 2020 Permalink

Don’t be dumb, guys; Joe Fulks of Murray, John Cooper of Mizzou, and Ken Sailors of Wyoming are credited with pioneering the jump shot. Fulks scored like 47 points in the first ever NBA playoff game.

10. ClutchCargo
    11:32 am September 11, 2020 Permalink

I have never been on the bandwagon of expecting coaches, AD’s, etc to take a pay cut just for appearances. But UK having their hand out wanting season ticket holders to donate their ticket money makes me agree with the KSR guys a little. Times are tough for a lot of people, Mitch.

• runningunnin.454
      11:46 am September 11, 2020 Permalink

Yep, a bit out of touch with reality

• RealCatsFan
      11:59 am September 11, 2020 Permalink

Just like our politicians. Even the ones who come from modest backgrounds frequently forget what it is like to be a “have not” once they become “haves”.

11. Laker Cat 18
    11:44 am September 11, 2020 Permalink

Let’s see if they step outside of the Lexington and Louisville are for their high school football coverage. I’m doubting it. SMH

11:48 am September 11, 2020 Permalink

I bet they will, like once and then it will fizzle out…

• Laker Cat 18
      11:51 am September 11, 2020 Permalink

They HAVE to go to Male @ Trinity next Friday, but I’ll bet they’ll be at the Holy War in Lexington instead.

12. Laker Cat 18
    11:45 am September 11, 2020 Permalink

*area

13. runningunnin.454
    11:55 am September 11, 2020 Permalink

Brush your teeth and sing the alphabet, ha ha. Feel sorry for his wife.

14. RealCatsFan
    11:57 am September 11, 2020 Permalink

So I was curious, and I looked up Belfry HS – imagine my disappointment that their mascot is the pirates and not the bats. πŸ˜‰

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door