KSR Show Thread, 9/10: It’s Logan County’s time on KSR

The whole crew is back today to get you ready for the NFL and catch you up on all the latest news around Big Blue Nation. Then in the second hour we’re going to Logan County, so tune in to hear all about Russellville and the surrounding area. We’ll need someone from Logan County to call in too.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

Article written by Drew Franklin

69 Comments for KSR Show Thread, 9/10: It’s Logan County’s time on KSR

1. Realme
    10:00 am September 10, 2020 Permalink

17 days! Will it happen?

10:05 am September 10, 2020 Permalink

Fingers crossed! Still a little irritated that no plan has been announced by UK. If I can’t go, Mitch better have my money!

10:06 am September 10, 2020 Permalink

I would be fine with a credit for next year’s tickets, so I don’t expect a refund. But I have always wanted to type that last phrase and here was my chance.

• Realme
      10:08 am September 10, 2020 Permalink

So you will go if selected or whatever?

• Realme
      10:11 am September 10, 2020 Permalink

I hope you get to.

• runningunnin.454
      10:14 am September 10, 2020 Permalink

Clutch, if you go be sure to make a lot of noise…do you own a cowbell? Ha ha.

10:16 am September 10, 2020 Permalink

I’ll be there if possible. This is mainly something my son and I do, and Mrs. CC will go to a couple of games each season. So it’s something he and I really look forward to doing together.

10:25 am September 10, 2020 Permalink

rg, I don’t need no stinkin’ cowbell, I have a very strong set of lungs. πŸ™‚ It’s hard to explain, but my normal speaking voice is similar to Drew’s on the radio until I need to yell really loud.

• Realme
      10:26 am September 10, 2020 Permalink

Wear pink or something so we can find you on the tv broadcast.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:33 am September 10, 2020 Permalink

The NFL and a Power 5 team play tonight.

10:36 am September 10, 2020 Permalink

I’m very sad that my work fantasy football league fell through this year. Not enough people interested. I got really hooked on it last year, and didn’t find this out until the last minute when it was too late to join another league. I don’t want to jump into some random league on ESPN.com or anything like that.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:44 am September 10, 2020 Permalink

I just jumped into a work survival NFL football league for around a $5,000 cash pot at season’s end. I took the Ravens over the Browns in week 1.

10:57 am September 10, 2020 Permalink

Last year I grabbed Christian McCaffrey with the #2 pick, and then picked up Lamar Jackson in the 9th round on a whim. I was pulling down about 200 points on average in the playoffs in my 10 team league. But it was $10 to play, so I only took home $100. Bragging rights are nice, though.

• Realme
      11:31 am September 10, 2020 Permalink

None of you gonna notice it’s really 16 days? I still can’t figure out what day it is most of the time.

11:44 am September 10, 2020 Permalink

I read 17 days on the internet, so I assumed it must be true.

2. RealCatsFan
    10:12 am September 10, 2020 Permalink

Dave Ramsey does give out some useful advice (wish I could get myself to follow it more closely), but the people doing their “debt free screams” is pretty nerdy. And when Dave gets on one of his whiney grumpy old man rants about how much he pays in taxes the “oh brother” alarm goes off in my head. Like, yeah Dave, we are all playing that tiny little violin for you as you sit in that huge mansion you built up on that hill in Brentwood. πŸ˜‰

• Realme
      10:25 am September 10, 2020 Permalink

I like that guy that yells and screams and hits all kinds of sound effect buttons better.

10:28 am September 10, 2020 Permalink

My daughter went through the Dave Ramsey course in high school. Now she is like some kind of N-a-z-i when it comes to debt. Don’t let her catch you buying something with a credit card. That’s not a terrible thing, I guess.

• RealCatsFan
      10:35 am September 10, 2020 Permalink

I am the cheap-azz old skinflint of the family and always the one who worries about spending too much. I’m the type who tries to fix things rather than just tossing them and getting something new, almost to a fault.

But I can’t hold a candle to some of the people who call me to order equipment, especially the folks who are Indian descent. They come from a barter economy, and I think they sit around each other and brag about how much of a discount they get on the things they buy. πŸ™‚

10:41 am September 10, 2020 Permalink

You’re not lying, RCF. I do business with an India-based company. Even with outstanding balances they owe to vendors, or KY state government, they will attempt to pay less

• RealCatsFan
      10:45 am September 10, 2020 Permalink

I have a coworker who is just hilarious to watch when he is on the phone with one of them. I can just tell, he starts off nice and polite, and after five minutes of them trying to chisel him down, he will say something like “You know, we have to eat too…” or something similar as he does a slow burn. πŸ™‚

• Laker Cat 18
      10:48 am September 10, 2020 Permalink

While Dave Ramsey is a little exaggerated with his verbal techniques, I like his insight. I’m still on baby step #2 with repaying debt, but I’m making good strides. He’s more motivational than anything really. I see the finish line at the end of the tunnel!

• RealCatsFan
      11:05 am September 10, 2020 Permalink

LC, don’t get me wrong, I would love to get completely out of debt someday. Then maybe I could actually retire. But Dave annoys me a little when he makes it sound like everybody’s situation has an easy, simple solution.

• RealCatsFan
      11:06 am September 10, 2020 Permalink

And like I said, he does offer some useful advice. Wish I could get Mrs RCF to buy into more of it. πŸ˜‰

• Laker Cat 18
      11:12 am September 10, 2020 Permalink

I did see a Ramsey Facebook video last week where his solution was for the lady who called to leave her man. Seriously. The backstory was they hadn’t been together long (less than a month), but they had already made or were in the process of making HUGE commitments financially. With that said, they neither had anything in common with financial goals. He suggested they just split because it wasn’t going to work. Haha

11:17 am September 10, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, Dave Ramsey is pretty hard core about getting out of debt. But I think the gist of his approach is that it is simple, although not necessarily easy. For anyone who is really serious about getting debt-free, it is the path forward. I wish my wife and I had done from the start what I would advise young Clutch now if I could: you both have decent paying full-time jobs, so try to live on one salary and save the other as long as possible.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:30 am September 10, 2020 Permalink

Years ago I heard a single lady call him. She told him the amount of debt and her salary, the usual stuff. He told her to say “Bye bye social life” for a year and get a 2nd job (I think he said delivering pizzas or something…not sure). Anyway, she said “Whoa, that’s too much work.” He said “Then I can’t help you”. I guess she may have been a new listener. I don’t know if she thought he was going to send her a magic wand or what, but that was pretty typical of what he tells people.

• Laker Cat 18
      11:34 am September 10, 2020 Permalink

My two main goals, only one of which Dave really teaches…

1. Pay off my home by the time I retire.
      2. Be able to pay cash for my car/truck.

I have also started teaching little LakerCat (as a 5th grader) possible techniques she can use later to get her college paid for. Even outside of athletics, I’m pushing the Governor’s Scholar program. I believe you can attend any public university in the state for free if you get into that program. In other words, “You don’t want school loan debt so prepare now!”

• Laker Cat 18
      11:36 am September 10, 2020 Permalink

On a similar note…RE-FINANCE YOUR HOME RIGHT NOW if you’re eligible to do so. I’m going to increase my mortgage by around $50/month, but I’m going to cut my 30-year down to a 15-year…I bought my house in 2015.

11:42 am September 10, 2020 Permalink

We did the re-fi thing a couple of weeks ago. Good call on that, and also for looking out for Laker Kitten’s financial future.

• RealCatsFan
      11:56 am September 10, 2020 Permalink

I just posted a lengthy reply about the Governor’s Scholar program and it went poof. I give up. My daughter is a GS, and while GSP is awesome, it doesn’t get you free tuition at every school like it used to. She was GSP, 4.38 GPA, and 31 or 32 on ACT and still couldn’t get a free ride at UK or WKU. tuition covered in full, but she had to get some smaller community scholarships to get the housing covered. She is determined to graduate debt free. Much smarter than her dad.

• Laker Cat 18
      12:05 pm September 10, 2020 Permalink

That’s great RCF! Hopefully she’ll be able to fill in the gaps of what GS doesn’t pay for.

3. runningunnin.454
    10:38 am September 10, 2020 Permalink

My brother just sent me a book by a former faculty member at West Point, “Becoming a Leader of Character” or some such. Get this, the foreword is by Mike Krazyzewski. I texted him and told him never, ever, never send anything like that to my home again, sheeeesh.

• RealCatsFan
      10:42 am September 10, 2020 Permalink

Did it have a special section about duffel bag drops, or anything about proper back support when choosing a coffin to sleep in?

• Realme
      10:42 am September 10, 2020 Permalink

Does your brother know you at all!?!

10:42 am September 10, 2020 Permalink

Tell him to at least rip out the foreword before sending it.

• runningunnin.454
      10:48 am September 10, 2020 Permalink

My brother is a nerd; he would fit in well at Dook; but he doesn’t even keep up with sports.

10:51 am September 10, 2020 Permalink

rg, I’m not convinced those students in the dook crowd even keep up with sports. It’s just something they are coached up to do for the tv cameras. So your brother might actually fit right in.

• runningunnin.454
      11:17 am September 10, 2020 Permalink

My brother went to WP, so I get the author and the Coach K connection. Yeah, my brother was an officer…so nerd. I suspect he was the origin of the clusteryouknowwhat term; except, yep, he was a slick sleeve. Later went to Vandy, and became an attorney…so Big Nerd, ha ha..

4. RealCatsFan
    10:39 am September 10, 2020 Permalink

Wow, the Marlins let the Braves ring up 29 runs against them? Looked like a football score! When I saw the MIA in the score column I thought they were talking about their defense.

• runningunnin.454
      10:58 am September 10, 2020 Permalink

WOW,29; maybe a mercy rule would help the Marlins…maybe the Reds and my Tigers, too. I just looked it up, and the most runs by a team is 36. The Chicago White Stockings beat Louisville 36-7 in 1897. The Louisville team was called the Colonels…what else?

11:03 am September 10, 2020 Permalink

That’s even an embarrassing football score. The Colonels should have been demoted and renamed the Louisville Slick Sleeves. lol

• Laker Cat 18
      11:10 am September 10, 2020 Permalink

The crazy thing is the Marlins had a really good stat line themselves. One that would win 98% of the games. Nine runs on 13 hits, with 2 errors. It is also extremely rare that a team scores more runs than they have hits. Braves had 29 runs on 23 hits. The Marlins would be leading the entire MLB standings had they had that stat line every game this season.

Fun facts:

— Biggest blowout in MLB history was 30-3, Rangers over Orioles in 2007.
      — Most runs scored by a MLB team in one game is 36 for the Chicago Colts in 1897.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:27 am September 10, 2020 Permalink

So was it the Colts or the White Stockings?

• runningunnin.454
      11:31 am September 10, 2020 Permalink

LC may be right; maybe they later became the White Stockings, and then the White Sox.

• Laker Cat 18
      11:37 am September 10, 2020 Permalink

The Google note I saw had them labeled the Colts at the time the record was set. It may be wrong though!

• Laker Cat 18
      11:40 am September 10, 2020 Permalink

I just realized I missed the initial comment from RG regarding the Colts/White Stockings…oops!

5. RealCatsFan
    10:40 am September 10, 2020 Permalink

Is Johnny Short really sleeping while on hold, or are they staging that?

• RealCatsFan
      10:45 am September 10, 2020 Permalink

I need to set him up with a CPAP machine.

10:49 am September 10, 2020 Permalink

I used to think it was hilarious when people would fall asleep at inappropriate times. But now it’s kind of scary to think about why it happens. I guess that’s me just getting old.

• RealCatsFan
      10:54 am September 10, 2020 Permalink

When we were kids it was usually because someone was out late doing… whatever. πŸ˜‰ But now we have reached the age that it’s very possibly due to a serious health issue. gettin old ain’t for sissies.

• Realme
      10:57 am September 10, 2020 Permalink

I went to a seminar for sleep problems once, and there was this guy there who i guess had narcolepsy. He was standing, talking to the nurse doing the presentation, while really struggling to stay awake. He was so miserable, it was awful. Main message of her talk was that poor / no sleep makes you unsafe to drive, but it really doesn’t hurt anything. Couldn’t disagree more, I think at affects one’s health immensely.

• RealCatsFan
      11:02 am September 10, 2020 Permalink

Chronic sleep deprivation has absolutely been shown to contribute to many different health issues.

11:08 am September 10, 2020 Permalink

Wow. A nurse doing a presentation on sleep disorders actually said that? Then why even do a presentation on sleep disorders?

• Realme
      11:24 am September 10, 2020 Permalink

She claimed to be an expert.

6. RealCatsFan
    11:01 am September 10, 2020 Permalink

We just this week lost a man who was very well known and well liked in the first-responders community. He was one of the people who founded Oldham County EMS. He left behind two teenage daughters. This is why I hate it when people make Covid into a political thing and whine about how much of a violation of their liberty wearing a mask in a public building can be. It’s not only the elderly who are at risk – we are losing some key members of our healthcare and first responder community, people who can’t be replaced. Please think about that before saying something dismissive about those of us who are still trying to keep this from spreading so fast.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:25 am September 10, 2020 Permalink

For me it’s more about wondering whether the masks actually work. I know, I’ve heard the reasons why they supposedly do 1000 times, but there are still experts out there who disagree with the other experts. On the one hand the pro-mask experts talk about wearing a mask properly to get a seal, but then we’re told even a bandana helps? That doesn’t seem to jive too much with me.

• runningunnin.454
      11:27 am September 10, 2020 Permalink

True, that!

• runningunnin.454
      11:50 am September 10, 2020 Permalink

True that for wearing the masks; spent half my life in a mask, so they don’t bother me, and they do work.

• RealCatsFan
      11:57 am September 10, 2020 Permalink

I don’t know why the hell my posts keep getting poofed. πŸ™

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:58 am September 10, 2020 Permalink

But a bandana though? What are your thoughts on that?

• RealCatsFan
      11:58 am September 10, 2020 Permalink

My point though – maybe they help, maybe they just make us look silly, but it ain’t that big a deal to wear one just in case they do.

7. RealCatsFan
    11:21 am September 10, 2020 Permalink

News reports were showing the sky around San Francisco glowing orange from all the fires around there. My niece lives in Oregon and they have to wear a mask outside not because of Covid but because of all the smoke. Prayers to all the folks who live out west. I could not imagine…

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:26 am September 10, 2020 Permalink

Me neither. Terrible.

11:37 am September 10, 2020 Permalink

It’s sad to think that the beautiful sunsets we have had around here all summer are mostly due to all the wildfires out west. I have even heard from people in Washington state who have fires all around in areas that never used to have that problem.

• runningunnin.454
      11:45 am September 10, 2020 Permalink

Well, it’s 2020, so….
      what’s next?

8. Realme
    11:43 am September 10, 2020 Permalink

“Stop interrupting me when I’m interrupting you!” – Matt, probably.

9. runningunnin.454
    11:55 am September 10, 2020 Permalink

Helen Crump originally was in the cult classic, “The Blob” with Steve McQueen. Yeah I heard about that affair; I also heard that Henry Winkler had an affair with Marion Ross when they were on Happy Days. But, maybe just rumors.

11:58 am September 10, 2020 Permalink

You’re telling me the Fonz was banging Mrs. C?? That would have been a better “jump the shark” moment than jumping the shark. πŸ™‚