KSR Show Thread, 8/8: Lots to catch up on!

Today on Kentucky Sports Radio the radio show, the crew is back (minus me) from the three-day weekend with plenty to talk about. So tune in as Matt Jones, Ryan Lemond and Shannon The Dude catch you up on all of the things that happened since you last heard from them. It’ll be a fun show.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

Article written by Drew Franklin

48 Comments for KSR Show Thread, 8/8: Lots to catch up on!

1. Laker Cat 18
    10:02 am September 8, 2020 Permalink

In honor of Kanye West applying to appear on Kentucky’s presidential ballot. Good Morning!

• runningunnin.454
      10:10 am September 8, 2020 Permalink

Thanks for that; mediocrity in repetition, ha ha.

10:31 am September 8, 2020 Permalink

Is Lyndon LaRouche running again?

• RealCatsFan
      11:14 am September 8, 2020 Permalink

Spiro Agnew anyone? (I just like that we had a politician who’s name sounds like a type of bacteria. 😀 )

• ClutchCargo
      11:51 am September 8, 2020 Permalink

Too much hand sanitizer and Clorox wipes going around these days for ol Spiro Agnew to make it, I’m afraid.

2. runningunnin.454
    10:12 am September 8, 2020 Permalink

Was anyone surprised by the Derby; it’s what happens when they bring a New York horse to Kentucky.

3. runningunnin.454
    10:30 am September 8, 2020 Permalink

Djokovic didn’t hit her with the ball that had been in play; that ball bounced harmlessly to the ball boy/girl. He took the ball out of his pocket, and slapped it in her direction. He know where these judges stand, right?
    And, it’s not an isolated event, what about this one?

• RealCatsFan
      10:39 am September 8, 2020 Permalink

They didn’t address the idiot fans who were tweeting out death threats against the line judge. Sometimes I think they should just do away with social media. It gives the mouth breathing morons WAY too much of a platform.

10:41 am September 8, 2020 Permalink

Death threats? Wow.

• ClutchCargo
      11:41 am September 8, 2020 Permalink

I don’t follow tennis and I haven’t seen the tweets. How did the tennis fans propose to kill the line judge? A duel? lol The whole thing is just ridiculous.

4. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:30 am September 8, 2020 Permalink

So Tony Barnhart was on local morning show today, and he said, pretty emphatically, “Dooon’t sleep on Kentucky.” Hoo-hah!

• runningunnin.454
      10:45 am September 8, 2020 Permalink

Hey Chris, I like your little game with the guy from W Ky; but sorry, your Reds are like my Tigers,
      Oh, say can you see by the dawn’s early light that the Reds suck.
      And so even though we face the difficulties of today and tomorrow, I still have a dream; I have a dream today, that the Reds won’t suck.
      Ask not what the Reds can do for you; ask what you can do for the Reds, because they suck.
      Frankly, my Dear; I don’t give a damn…because the Reds suck.
      Ha ha ha ha, sorry.

10:48 am September 8, 2020 Permalink

Touche. I’m just having fun with the guy. He is kind of a whiner though (one or two other whiners chime in some as well). Haha.

Did you see his semi-meltdown on the post where Ty (I forget his last name) announced he’ll be covering the Bengals this fall too? Hilarious!

10:51 am September 8, 2020 Permalink

The thing is, I understand to a degree that Cincy teams aren’t his, but St. Louis doesn’t even have football any more, so if Matt decided to cover St. Lou pro sports, it would be Cardinals only (I doubt he would cover hockey, despite Tyler’s love for the Preds, so the Blues would be out).

• Laker Cat 18
      11:14 am September 8, 2020 Permalink

St. Louis has the Battlehawks in the XFL that The Rock just bought. I’m interested to see how that goes when it boots back up.

• runningunnin.454
      11:28 am September 8, 2020 Permalink

Cincy was a good baseball town; not so much for basketball…do you even remember the Royals? Even tho’ they had great players like Oscar Robertson, Jerry Lucas, and Maurice Stokes, they couldn’t get fans to the games. They even won an NBA title, the only one the franchise ever won. They are now the Sacramento Kings.

11:31 am September 8, 2020 Permalink

Yep, I remember the Royals. That’s why I said here a couple years ago it would be funny if the Kings moved to Louisville and became the Colonels. I could root for them again.

11:33 am September 8, 2020 Permalink

Does the Rock have other investors, or did he buy it lock, stock, and barrel? I know he’s very rich, but I wonder if he has the business acumen to make a league like that successful (or if anyone else does for that matter…the NFL has killed off lots of would be competitors over the years ever since the WFL in the 70s). We shall see.

• ClutchCargo
      11:35 am September 8, 2020 Permalink

As a lifelong Reds fan, I have seen a lot of bad baseball over the years. But this is the first time in a while that I’m actually disappointed that they suck. A lot of years it’s just expected and no big deal, but they have an under performing good team this year.

• runningunnin.454
      11:43 am September 8, 2020 Permalink

Same with the Tigers; formerly proud franchises in great baseball towns that have let their fans down. Poor management.

11:50 am September 8, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, and as I recall, the last good team the Reds had (under Dusty Baker & when we had Johnny Cueto) was put together by a couple former Cardinal execs that the Reds hired. I think they were still there. Anyway, I still wonder if we win at least that first playoff round if Cueto doesn’t get hurt, but just add that to all the UK bball players who got hurt over the years to cost us a possible natty, and all the what-ifs (not all injury related) with the 2 Bengals Super Bowl games (Tim Krumrie breaking his leg in the 2nd one primarily).

• ClutchCargo
      11:54 am September 8, 2020 Permalink

cg, even that Reds team had great pitching but no hitting. They have had the opposite problem other years. This year’s team should be well rounded, but it hasn’t worked out that way.

5. RealCatsFan
    10:40 am September 8, 2020 Permalink

Mrs. RCF was inspired by Kentucky Joe’s song to place her Oaks bet. Winner winner chicken dinner! 🙂

It was kind of strange to hear Matt actually being nice to Kentucky Joe when he called in. 😉 Seriously, I hope he is doing better with his health problems.

6. RealCatsFan
    10:41 am September 8, 2020 Permalink

Nothing like a Tuesday that feels like the Monday from hell. At least it’s a short week.

• ClutchCargo
      11:14 am September 8, 2020 Permalink

On the one hand, I love a 4 day week. On the other hand, I have about 5 days of work to get done in these 4 days. Not complaining about having a job and plenty to do, though.

7. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:46 am September 8, 2020 Permalink

I’m with Matt. It’s like I said on another thread, the ADs job is (among other things) to raise money. I get that. But if 50% is safe in the suite, surely they could do more than 20% in the stands when we were told riots don’t spread the Rona since they’re outside. The problem I think with 50% in the stands is that’s a lot more people to control when it comes to enforcing a 6 feet rule. I would have thought they could go higher than 20% though.

• Realme
      10:57 am September 8, 2020 Permalink

If they have at least double the space to start with (enough space for everyone indoors and enough space for everyone in the stands), than they have double the capacity and it should be 40%. Or it’s a Monday Tuesday and I am dumb.

• RealCatsFan
      11:12 am September 8, 2020 Permalink

The bathrooms could become an issue, but there are ways to deal with that.

11:13 am September 8, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, I don’t know the magic number, but 40% sounds more like what I was thinking.

11:15 am September 8, 2020 Permalink

Yeah RCF, I honestly hadn’t thought of that. Port O’ Potties all around? No place to wash hands though, so they would need to provide lots of had sanitizer stations.

BTW, a port o’ potty company in Auburn used to advertise on the radio: “We’ll take C-R-A-P from anybody!”

• ClutchCargo
      11:16 am September 8, 2020 Permalink

The only thing that comes to mind is what happens when tons of people go to the concourse for concessions/restroom break. Maybe that’s not as much of an issue with the suites?

• Realme
      11:17 am September 8, 2020 Permalink

I meant if the regular folks get 20%, the suite people should get 40% since they have twice the space to start with.

• ClutchCargo
      11:24 am September 8, 2020 Permalink

I just want to know what to expect for being able to go to games this season. I wasn’t antsy even a week ago, but now I am. Since it’s taking this long, I fully expect some terrible plan that most of us are gonna hate.

11:24 am September 8, 2020 Permalink

OIC Realme. I was thinking the opposite: give the folks in the stand more than 20%, but I see your point too.

8. Realme
    10:57 am September 8, 2020 Permalink

I swear it’s like my coworkers store up everything they need to ask me about and pounce when they hear me come through the door. Have I missed anything worth listening to?

• runningunnin.454
      11:08 am September 8, 2020 Permalink

Well, you missed Ky Joe’s horse song. I swear if I was driving down the road, turning the radio dial, and that came on…I would hit a tree in a desperate attempt to change the channel.

9. runningunnin.454
    11:02 am September 8, 2020 Permalink

How bad were the Louisville riots? Just don’t understand why people can’t live in HARMONY…like these guys,

11:23 am September 8, 2020 Permalink

I never knew about that group being made up of white as well as black members.

• runningunnin.454
      11:33 am September 8, 2020 Permalink

There were several integrated groups in the ’50’s. Impalas, Crests, Rob Roys, and the Del-Vikings.

11:34 am September 8, 2020 Permalink

Cool!

10. runningunnin.454
    11:18 am September 8, 2020 Permalink

The Raiders are a train wreck; Kenny the “Snake” isn’t walking through that door.

11:36 am September 8, 2020 Permalink

Nor Jim Plunkett I guess.

11. ClutchCargo
    11:20 am September 8, 2020 Permalink

I hated to hear about Lynn Bowden, and the way the Raiders thing went down. But he’s probably in a better situation now. Regardless, I’m not mad that the Raiders are stupid. They have been stupid for a long time. If LB wasn’t a good fit, that’s fine. But then why draft him in the 3rd round?

11:23 am September 8, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, I don’t think they were using him right. But the next football game I coach will be the first.

12. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    11:37 am September 8, 2020 Permalink

Oh, BTW, did you all see there were 0 comments on yesterday’s ST? Is that a record? I know it was a rerun, but I don’t think I’ve seen a big fat 0 in the ST before.

• ClutchCargo
      11:44 am September 8, 2020 Permalink

I looked at exactly once, when I realized it was a rerun day. I didn’t comment so as to keep the zero comment thing going. That and I was replacing the shingles on the roof on my shed.

13. ClutchCargo
    11:47 am September 8, 2020 Permalink

What the hell am I listening to right now?? I had to step away for a couple of minutes and came back to this.

14. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    11:57 am September 8, 2020 Permalink

Wow, Joe’s talking about my old neighborhood! At least close. I lived at 3527 Riverpark Drive before we left Lexington and went to Tates Creek Junior. Remember the Titans!!!