KSR Show Thread, 8/31: Tune in to KSR now!

On today’s show, Matt Jones, Ryan Lemond and Shannon T. Dude will recap all of the happenings from the weekend, including tales from the scene at Jager Burton’s announcement ceremony Sunday night.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

Article written by Drew Franklin

73 Comments for KSR Show Thread, 8/31: Tune in to KSR now!

1. runningunnin.454
    10:11 am August 31, 2020 Permalink

Never thought I would be so thrilled to watch an Austin Peay and Central Arkansas football game, lol. Good entertaining game; just a little rust, especially with the long snaps.

10:16 am August 31, 2020 Permalink

I was interested in some football, but I didn’t even turn it on when the time came. Kind of like Korean baseball when that’s all that was on.

2. Realme
    10:12 am August 31, 2020 Permalink

“As a media member, I didn’t want to know and not say.” That was a Pitino quality whopper from Matt to start our Monday.

10:13 am August 31, 2020 Permalink

Haha! He lives for that stuff.

• runningunnin.454
      10:16 am August 31, 2020 Permalink

But he did steal Jager’s thunder last week; the cat was out of the bag.

10:17 am August 31, 2020 Permalink

He spilled the beans on Friday during the show. I was pretty sure I heard him say it, then it was a post on KSR over the weekend.

3. Realme
    10:13 am August 31, 2020 Permalink

I took the weekend off from KSR, Twitter and the news. I assume it was all sunshine and rainbows?

10:18 am August 31, 2020 Permalink

I think a unicorn just flew out my butt.

• Realme
      10:27 am August 31, 2020 Permalink

I’ve spent years saying the jerks in our fan base are a tiny minority, but after Friday I can’t anymore. Disagree with Keion as much as you want. Tweet at him, say horrible things? You are an absolute embarrassment. We have WAY too many of those people and I am not proud to be BBN today. Hence taking my sunshine lollipops and rainbows weekend.

10:32 am August 31, 2020 Permalink

It’s sad that we have the mouth-breathing knuckle draggers to contend with. I have seen people try to make the argument that these are fans of rival programs trying to look like UK fans to make us look bad, but there are way too many of them.

10:34 am August 31, 2020 Permalink

I still say it is a loud minority of idiots doing this stuff. Unfortunately, it gives us all a black eye.

10:36 am August 31, 2020 Permalink

Reply fail below. I would never tweet at a player. However…

I was embarrassed at some comments I saw over the weekend. You know what? As an educator (tiny school, granted) I was also embarrassed that a bunch of UK professors don’t know or don’t care about (probably the latter) the facts surrounding Adolph Rupp. Educators are supposed to deal in facts, or be curious and search out the facts and not rely on hearsay.

10:38 am August 31, 2020 Permalink

Full disclosure: I have tweeted at 2 players that I recall. You know who they were? TV Williams & Drew Barker. I tweeted them when they decided to leave UK and said sorry it didn’t work out and good luck. TV liked my tweet.

10:39 am August 31, 2020 Permalink

The claim that more than a tiny fraction of the loudmouths are actually rival fans is just silly. I have never believed that for a minute.

10:41 am August 31, 2020 Permalink

BTW, RCF, I hope that unicorn had its head looking straight forward and chin down when it flew out. πŸ™‚

10:53 am August 31, 2020 Permalink

Gee Clutch, I was wondering why I’m walking like John Wayne this morning. πŸ˜€

• Realme
      10:58 am August 31, 2020 Permalink

BTW “I think a unicorn just flew out my butt” was such a good response, RCF, that I thought it was from RG for a second. Wasn’t drinking, so no spit take, but it make me laugh.

• PensacolaCat
      11:04 am August 31, 2020 Permalink

Big difference in fans that disagree with something and post on a message board and those that take it upon themselves to tweet a player. The first is fine if it’s appropriate and the second is inexcusable.

11:10 am August 31, 2020 Permalink

RCF, you made me chuckle too, but I’m having trouble trying to unsee the picture. Ha.

4. RealCatsFan
    10:20 am August 31, 2020 Permalink

Spent most of the weekend hunting for a car for my younger child. There sure is a lot of junk out there. πŸ™

10:24 am August 31, 2020 Permalink

I have a couple more years before I have to do that again, but we got super lucky with my older kid’s car. Ford Focus with crazy low miles for very reasonable price, plus $10 oil changes for life. Looked like a brand new car and it was about 3 years old.

10:31 am August 31, 2020 Permalink

We did as well – basically “inherited” my dad’s 05 Accord with around 70K on it. Car was absolutely cherry. After we detailed it the thing looked like a new car. I’m afraid that has spoiled me when looking for a car for lil’ sis. The wife does not want her to have a crappy car compared to big sis. I guess I set the bar too high.

I thought about looking at the Focus’s (Foci?). A couple of the kids we know have had them and some have had some serious issues, but I am finding out that just about EVERY make of car has issues. Honda’s are famous for their reliability, but I have learned that they had a LOT of problems with their 5-speed automatics and now I have found out that the 2006-09 Civic’s had problems with engine blocks cracking. Both of those are show stoppers.

10:37 am August 31, 2020 Permalink

There is a thing with the transmission that was annoying, but there ended up being a silent recall on it that the dealership took care of.

10:55 am August 31, 2020 Permalink

Those “silent recalls” (aka Technical Service Bulletins, or TSB’s) are the manufacturer’s way of admitting blame but not wanting anyone to know about it. That’s why I always check out the enthusiast forums on any car I am considering.

10:56 am August 31, 2020 Permalink

Sadly, the price range I am in leaves me with cars that are usually too old to be covered by any TSB’s.

10:58 am August 31, 2020 Permalink

To be fair, they are also used for things that aren’t a safety issue. But I use a Carfax app to track that stuff just so I know.

11:04 am August 31, 2020 Permalink

You can rely on CarFax for the big issues, such as if a vehicle has been reported stolen, been totalled, or flooded, but that is only true if the incident was recorded. Sometimes people fix a wreck out of pocket without reporting it as an insurance claim.

I used to think that the odometers on newer vehicles are much harder to roll back than the old mechanical units. Not true. You can buy a scan tool off of Amazon for around $300 that is capable of changing the mileage display on a vehicle. Some cars have the mileage recorded on other computers in the car, but you need special equipment to scan those. And yes, it is a felony to do this, but it is so profitable that there are a lot of crooks willing to take the risk. This is why I am going crazy!

11:09 am August 31, 2020 Permalink

The app I have tracks the service (previous owner stuff will show up, but obviously only if taken to a shop), but it will also show any types of recalls, based on the vehicles you have saved. That part isn’t specific to your car’s VIN.

11:29 am August 31, 2020 Permalink

Clutch, how can all the service be tracked? Are all shops, even small local yokels, required to log everything they do to a car into some massive database?

11:38 am August 31, 2020 Permalink

cg, I have gone to a couple of different independent shops for various maintenance stuff I don’t have time (or skills or tools) to mess with, and I always get an email from Carfax that tells me it has been updated. I’m sure each shop just chooses whether to register, unless they are part of a larger chain that does it. I doubt Bubba who does auto repair on the side in his barn would fool with it.

11:45 am August 31, 2020 Permalink

Our guy has a real shop and he’s very good, so I guess he does. I had no idea about any of that. I would have thought it would be dealers & Pep Boys type places only (and maybe the millions of quickie lube chains).

11:58 am August 31, 2020 Permalink

I forgot to add that if the shop doesn’t participate in that, there is a way to manually add that information. Again, this is not part of that Carfax report you can order for a fee, but for your own maintenance records.

5. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:25 am August 31, 2020 Permalink

I vote that Cal brings in RG to educate the bball players on the true story of Adolph Rupp. Who’s with me?

• runningunnin.454
      10:42 am August 31, 2020 Permalink

Nope, that’s Cal’s job; maybe he can bring in Pat Riley, Larry Conley, Louie Dampier, Dan Issel, and Mike Pratt.

11:03 am August 31, 2020 Permalink

Yes, maybe Dick Gabriel too. And how about the guy (Tucker?) who had nothing but good things to say and said he told Herkey how great Rupp was to him. Is he still with us?

• runningunnin.454
      11:09 am August 31, 2020 Permalink

I posted that article below, Chris. No, Jim Tucker passed away this past May. Did you know he held the NBA record for the fastest triple double until just recently; accomplished it in, I think, 17 minutes of playing time.

11:16 am August 31, 2020 Permalink

Didn’t know that. Wow! Those clips of him talking about Rupp should definitely be shown to the players.

6. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:34 am August 31, 2020 Permalink

7. ClutchCargo
    10:46 am August 31, 2020 Permalink

That example just didn’t work. I’m calling BS on Matt walking into a hardware store for any reason.

10:57 am August 31, 2020 Permalink

You got some airplay with that one, Clutch! Congrats! πŸ˜€

10:59 am August 31, 2020 Permalink

I was on a call, what happened?

11:02 am August 31, 2020 Permalink

Did they actually read his comment?

11:05 am August 31, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, they mentioned it. Did you tweet it as well, Clutch?

11:11 am August 31, 2020 Permalink

I have yet to tweet anything, so no.

11:17 am August 31, 2020 Permalink

Its possible that someone else had the same thought. I don’t recall if they said it was via tweet or the text machine. Maybe someone read your comment and copied it.

11:40 am August 31, 2020 Permalink

That truth is self-evident, so I’m sure someone else picked up on it and tweeted it.

8. ClutchCargo
    10:56 am August 31, 2020 Permalink

I completely agree that grownups shouldn’t be tweeting players or recruits. But to say that Twitter is only for putting your opinion out there and not discussing with other people about theirs? I really don’t see the point in that.

10:59 am August 31, 2020 Permalink

That’s what Facebook is for. πŸ™‚

• Realme
      11:00 am August 31, 2020 Permalink

It’s the idea that for some people the players aren’t humans that are allowed to express personal opinions is what I don’t get. This is freaking America.

11:04 am August 31, 2020 Permalink

I blame social media. We pretty much an entire generation that has learned to circle the wagons anytime an opposing viewpoint is presented. There is no real communication, just a lot of talking or yelling at each other.

11:06 am August 31, 2020 Permalink

Yes, but when someone admits they don’t know the facts and then says the name should be changed, that wasn’t smart. However, I at least partially blame Cal for that. I think RG has hinted over the weekend that he should have always been educating his players on the real Rupp. For me, that is not just to stave off controversy, but to make them realize how this Rolls Royce program started and who laid the groundwork for the opportunity they have.

11:09 am August 31, 2020 Permalink

Sometimes you just have to agree to disagree.

The thing that annoys me is that so many people feel the need to express their political opinions to everyone around them, and they make EVERYTHING into a political issue. I have some longtime friends who have gotten that way, and it’s to the point that I just don’t enjoy hanging around them anymore. It’s just sad.

11:13 am August 31, 2020 Permalink

The faculty at UK who called for the name change already made that a political issue. I heard a sportstalk show host (CBS weekend guy…don’t know his name) a couple weeks ago say that people shouldn’t make the China/Hong Kong thing an issue with the NBA. He conveniently forgot that it started because a Rockets employee tweeted support for the Hong Kong protestors of his own volition and was summarily told by the NBA to shut up.

11:15 am August 31, 2020 Permalink

Correction, the CBS sports guy said people shouldn’t turn it in to a political issue (and again, the NBA had already done that).

11:16 am August 31, 2020 Permalink

I was kind of hoping that the Rupp name change issue would fade away. Guess not.

9. RealCatsFan
    11:13 am August 31, 2020 Permalink

If I had to interview the twenty year old version of myself I would probably beat the 20yo me over the head with a microphone.

10. RealCatsFan
    11:14 am August 31, 2020 Permalink

So sad about Chadwick. The man was a bad-azz cancer warrior. Wish he could have won his battle. πŸ™

• Realme
      11:22 am August 31, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, so crappy, a young talented guy that so many people looked up to.

I watched an episode of Ridiculousness this weekend that Karl was the guest. His parents were in the audience, and his mom was so vibrant and beautiful, I can’t believe stupid covid took her.

11:29 am August 31, 2020 Permalink

Yes, very sad. I had no idea he had been sick.

11:31 am August 31, 2020 Permalink

I want to make it clear that I’m not criticizing anybody’s decision about how much they want to disclose about their health issues… but it seems like he would have tried to warn others about not getting checked. His colon cancer came way earlier than normal, so even somebody following the current guidance of getting a colonoscopy at 45 wouldn’t have been protected.

11. RealCatsFan
    11:21 am August 31, 2020 Permalink

Yes, we are losing a lot of coaching legends, JT being just the latest. We need to appreciate having Joe B. around as much as possible. I know many have a strong dislike for anything UL, but I have Denny Crum’s wife as a FB friend and actually see her posts with him on fishing trips, and he is a genuinely good guy just enjoying life. And he recently had a big scare with a mild stroke.

Papa Brooks is another guy who is living large in his golden years.

11:27 am August 31, 2020 Permalink

And Joe B. and Denny have quite the friendship after the sometimes entertaining sniping from the years when they were on the sidelines.

• runningunnin.454
      11:35 am August 31, 2020 Permalink

Still have fond memories of Joe B. following me around Holmes Hall to make sure I wasn’t sneaking food to the basketball players at midnight. Didn’t work; he just needed more training in covert operations, ha ha.

11:43 am August 31, 2020 Permalink

So it started even before Melvin Turpin? lol

11:43 am August 31, 2020 Permalink

rg, did basketball players live in Holmes Hall prior to Wildcat Lodge? Holmes was my dorm my freshman year. It was pretty dated by the time I came along, but I feel like it was a little ahead of its time in that all the rooms had a sink. I don’t think that was the case with all the dorms in the late 80’s.

• runningunnin.454
      11:49 am August 31, 2020 Permalink

Yep I was long gone before Big Mel, ha ha.

• runningunnin.454
      11:51 am August 31, 2020 Permalink

Yep, they were at Holmes Hall…except some of the upperclassmen.

12. Realme
    11:55 am August 31, 2020 Permalink

I don’t understand people who don’t like fireworks, they’re awesome. Excepting people with ptsd about real explosions.

12:01 pm August 31, 2020 Permalink

I have been to Thunder Over Louisville a few times. I can’t imagine a better fireworks show. We used to setup right by the 2nd Street bridge good and early to get a good spot and watch the air show. The fireworks finale would be like getting punched in the chest repeatedly, but it was awesome!

• Realme
      12:05 pm August 31, 2020 Permalink

Never been to Thunder, but the Labor Day weekend WEBN fireworks on the river between Cinci and Northern Ky are incredible.