KSR Show Thread 8/3: Freddie Maggard joins the crew

Good morning, friends, and welcome to the Monday edition of Kentucky Sports Radio, which is coming to you live from KSOffice and the Louisville studios. Matt’s on vacation this week, so Ryan, Drew, and Shannon are taking the wheel. Today, they’ll be joined by special guest Freddie Maggard, so tune in for some football and bubble bath talk.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

67 Comments for KSR Show Thread 8/3: Freddie Maggard joins the crew

1. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:03 am August 3, 2020 Permalink

“I am not an animal! I am a human being!”

10:09 am August 3, 2020 Permalink

Not sure if you are Frank Drebin or John Merrick, but good mornin’!

10:10 am August 3, 2020 Permalink

I meant to change “animal” to robot. lol

That’s from the movie “The Elephant Man” for those who don’t know. I never actually saw it but that was such a famous line.

10:13 am August 3, 2020 Permalink

I had a buddy who used to do a hilarious impression of that line from the movie. Maybe not completely PC according to today’s norms, but when he would throw it out there in the appropriate context it was pretty funny.

I guess I’m officially human too, although I never feel that way on a Monday. But I’m starting to figure out the little captcha trick questions.

10:14 am August 3, 2020 Permalink

It was hilariously spoofed in one of the Naked Gun movies, so I wasn’t sure.

10:18 am August 3, 2020 Permalink

I never actually saw all of that movie either. However, the idea that Reggie Jackson played himself and was being manipulated to kill the queen was hilarious. And Frank Drebin going all Michael Jackson like a lot of real umps, as well as college bball refs calling a block/charge, was great. “Hey, it’s Enrico Palazzo!”

2. runningunnin.454
    10:06 am August 3, 2020 Permalink

So it would seem the PAC 12 football players are not all that concerned about covid 19; but rather, money and legal recourse. Are they going to be as careful in other extracurricular activities,

• Laker Cat 18
      10:07 am August 3, 2020 Permalink

I can’t believe they’re still considered a “Power 5” conference.

• runningunnin.454
      10:09 am August 3, 2020 Permalink

10:12 am August 3, 2020 Permalink

Thanks for keeping it at least PG, RG!

10:14 am August 3, 2020 Permalink

You used the most accurate word yesterday RG: unattainable. They ain’t giving anybody 50% of the revenue (not to mention how do you expect the PAC-12 to solve racism in all of society??? They’re one small entity in the grand scheme of things.).

10:21 am August 3, 2020 Permalink

So who goes mountain climbing while barefoot? – 0:35 🙂

I warned my kids to stay away from those dudes who drive Chevy vans. 😉

• runningunnin.454
      10:23 am August 3, 2020 Permalink

Chris, at least I didn’t post the Doors’ R version of “Gloria”…but now you’re curious, right?

10:35 am August 3, 2020 Permalink

Is it the same song by Van Morrison? I prefer the “Gloria” by U2. They rocked, especially with those early albums!

• runningunnin.454
      10:39 am August 3, 2020 Permalink

BTW, “Gloria” was written by Van Morrison and recorded first by his Northern Irish group, “Them”. Later covered by “The Shadows of Knight” and, of course, the Doors…remember the expression about curiosity and the cat, ha ha.

10:50 am August 3, 2020 Permalink

Here’s the U2 Gloria (live from Red Rocks, which was awesome sauce!!!): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yohnJNx8M3g

• runningunnin.454
      11:04 am August 3, 2020 Permalink

That’s not the same song, Chris.

11:57 am August 3, 2020 Permalink

I know, but it’s way better. Van Morrison’s is okay, but in every other song of his I’ve heard, his voice is HORRIBLE IMO. Sorry if that bursts anyone’s bubble since he’s such an icon, but I can’t stand his singing, just like Bob Dylan (except “Knockin’ On Heaven’s Door”…he sounds good on that one…it must have been after he quit smoking…he said that helped his voice, although you couldn’t tell it on “We Are the World”…haha).

3. Laker Cat 18
    10:06 am August 3, 2020 Permalink

So, about the Pac-12… Just play, folks!

4. Realme
    10:10 am August 3, 2020 Permalink

Can we all pretend like this football season will go off without a hitch for this football week on KSR? I just wanna pretend at least.

10:11 am August 3, 2020 Permalink

No kidding.

10:15 am August 3, 2020 Permalink

Oops – sorry, I kind of blew that out of the water with my post below. Don’t read any further down than this, Realme.

• Realme
      10:17 am August 3, 2020 Permalink

Too late. 🙁

10:17 am August 3, 2020 Permalink

That would be amazing, but I’m afraid to pretend that just yet. I got the email from UK Athletics last week that said details for season ticket holders would be coming soon. Fingers crossed.

5. RealCatsFan
    10:15 am August 3, 2020 Permalink

Yesterday we helped daughter #1 get her stuff moved into her dorm room at WKU. She has a pretty decent view of the football stadium from her window. Too bad there won’t be anything to see this year. 🙁

• Realme
      10:16 am August 3, 2020 Permalink

I’m glad she gets to go!

10:19 am August 3, 2020 Permalink

RCF, tell her she needs to wear that Hilltopper costume, so I can say “Hey, I ‘know’ her dad!”

10:21 am August 3, 2020 Permalink

Maybe I have been living under a rock for a few days, but what do you mean by “there won’t be anything to see the year?”

10:25 am August 3, 2020 Permalink

Disregard. My non-caffeinated brain failed to see that you were just not playing along with pretending good things are to come for football season.

10:25 am August 3, 2020 Permalink

Clutch, for one thing, I doubt if there will be many (if any) fans in the stadium, and I have concerns as to whether we will be able to pull it off at all. I am just hoping and praying that this damned virus will calm down in a major way before fall gets here.

Found out another cousin was diagnosed with it last week. She is doing ok right now – just fatigue and some upper respiratory symptoms, but she is probably moderate to high risk.

11:07 am August 3, 2020 Permalink

I do recall seeing an interview with WKU’s AD a week or so ago, and he was pretty bullish that there would be fall sports this year. Hope so!

11:58 am August 3, 2020 Permalink

As is Troy’s AD, and they’re in the same conference.

6. Realme
    10:20 am August 3, 2020 Permalink

Sorry I am not one of those people who feels brave about nothing but SEC games, but I do think we’ll be good.

10:22 am August 3, 2020 Permalink

I think if this was going to happen sometime, this roster is pretty well put together to do this. Definitely going to take some lumps, though.

10:26 am August 3, 2020 Permalink

I’m just very sad that we won’t get to thump the red chickens again this year.

10:34 am August 3, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, I wasn’t excited when I heard we might have to add Bama and LSU. Oh well, you play the card that’s dealt ya. Anthony White said yesterday we can beat them. If we play them I hope the coaches and players are as confident. Granted, LSU doesn’t have Jeaux Burreaux this year.

• runningunnin.454
      10:56 am August 3, 2020 Permalink

We don’t have to beat Bama for me to be satisfied; I just want us to make Saban pace the sidelines, ranting and raving, and throwing his headset on the ground.

10:59 am August 3, 2020 Permalink

Haha. Yeah, that would be worth the price of admission (not really since tix are so pricey) if we made him go off on an assistant the way he went off on Lane Kiffin. The funny thing is when Kiffin is interviewed about it and he’s pretty jovial about the whole thing. He made Dan Lebatard laugh.

Speaking of that, I assume Ole Miss should still play Bama this year, right? That should be fun if it happens.

7. davef5054
    10:29 am August 3, 2020 Permalink

Barnyard is a stupid movie. The boy cows have udders.

10:31 am August 3, 2020 Permalink

So you’re ok with them walking on their hind legs and talking? lol

11:04 am August 3, 2020 Permalink

One of our old houseboat party veterans (let’s just call him “Woody”) used to dress up every year as a cow for Halloween. He enjoyed it when girls would try to “milk” him. 😉

• davef5054
      11:10 am August 3, 2020 Permalink

True.

8. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:53 am August 3, 2020 Permalink

I understand the caller asking why we get no respect where Florida is concerned, to a point. The thing is, we’ve snatched defeat from the jaws of victory 2 of the last 3 years. Granted, I still say we win last year if Sawyer doesn’t hurt his hand, and probably if Terry doesn’t get hurt, but they did and it happens. Sawyer not falling on his fumble also cost us, but that wasn’t the only mistake made of course (and letting an unproven QB carve up what was usually a stout defense…ugh…but I think Brad White was still getting his legs under him as the DC).

10:56 am August 3, 2020 Permalink

And 90% of the national guys who pick them ahead of us probably have no idea we had 2 QBs injured last year. Even the ones who knew Bowden was thrown into that role have probably already forgotten. Matt’s right. Sometimes when you hear these national guys being interviewed and UK comes up, you can detect a lack of knowledge about personnel.

9. ClutchCargo
    10:56 am August 3, 2020 Permalink

I got busy about the time Andy called in. Gotta give him credit for not taking the Hayley bait this time. Maybe he is evolving. 🙂

• Realme
      11:16 am August 3, 2020 Permalink

Missed it, why would they offer him said bait though?

11:20 am August 3, 2020 Permalink

It was seemingly just a normal, non-creepy discussion and then Shannon brought up Hayley to him out of the blue. It didn’t go beyond that this time, best I could tell. Like I said, I got busy about then and was kind of half listening.

11:54 am August 3, 2020 Permalink

I guess I missed most of the backstory on this exchange.

10. RealCatsFan
    11:05 am August 3, 2020 Permalink

I know a lot of people don’t particularly like Matt, but you have to admit that the show really drags when he is on the mic. Even Freddie can’t liven this one up.

• runningunnin.454
      11:10 am August 3, 2020 Permalink

Yep, and this was supposed to be about football, and they went off on golf and the Reds.

11:11 am August 3, 2020 Permalink

Matt is like a very important ingredient that doesn’t taste very good on its own, but the recipe isn’t nearly as good without it.

11:13 am August 3, 2020 Permalink

Matt also does a good job of keeping the discussion on track and moving along.

• Realme
      11:19 am August 3, 2020 Permalink

Normally I’d concur, but honestly the only thing that kept me listening throughout the pandemic has been making it more interesting by talking to you guys. I think it’s been boring, even with Matt in other words, but of course I don’t think there was much they could do about no sports and all news being depressing.

11:22 am August 3, 2020 Permalink

The random off-topic discussions here are the best.

• runningunnin.454
      11:39 am August 3, 2020 Permalink

Speaking of random topics, break dancing and when will all this rain end?

11:39 am August 3, 2020 Permalink

Clutch, yes he does that, but sometimes that involves cutting people off. I guess it’s a delicate balance. 🙂

12:55 pm August 3, 2020 Permalink

Dangit rg, all that breakdancing is making it hard to concentrate on work. 😉

11. ClutchCargo
    11:33 am August 3, 2020 Permalink

Normally I love looking at the schedule and predicting the W-L record, but I just can’t get into that this year. Too many unknowns to feel anything like confidence right now. Maybe the lack of an actual schedule has something to do with that. 🙂

12. RealCatsFan
    11:53 am August 3, 2020 Permalink

Have heard several radio host say that John Mellencamp is not a real pleasant dude to interview. And don’t call him “John Cougar”! 😀

• runningunnin.454
      11:55 am August 3, 2020 Permalink

Then why did he put Cougar on his album covers?

12:00 pm August 3, 2020 Permalink

He has said a manager or something kind of forced that on him saying his real name just wasn’t marketable. He said he always felt it was a phony thing to do so he changed it back.

12:00 pm August 3, 2020 Permalink

I think some record company bigwig thought he would be more marketable as “John Cougar” rather than “John Mellencamp”. As someone who gets to continually spell his last name, I can kind of relate.

12:01 pm August 3, 2020 Permalink

That has happened a lot in both radio and the movie industry. Some of us are just saddled with “uncool” names. 😉

12:02 pm August 3, 2020 Permalink

But of course the late great Dick Trickle said “Eff ya all!” 😀

12:35 pm August 3, 2020 Permalink

Try having a last name that is simple and short, but also is a common first name. People always have to make things more complicated than they should be.