KSR Show Thread 8/27: So much news, Bruiser Flint, and Leslie County

Good morning, friends, and welcome to the Thursday edition of Kentucky Sports Radio. Today, the gang will weigh in on a huge day of news in sports, which included the NBA, WNBA, MLB, and MLS postponing games to demand justice for Jacob Blake; John Calipari and Bruiser Flint meeting with the media; and more uncertainty about high school sports this fall. Flint will actually call in to chat with the crew, AND it’s Leslie County day!

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

63 Comments for KSR Show Thread 8/27: So much news, Bruiser Flint, and Leslie County

1. runningunnin.454
    9:59 am August 27, 2020 Permalink

Thought KSR had a virus this morning; there’s one going around, you know.

10:32 am August 27, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, I couldn’t get the home page to load last night after a certain time. I wondered it it was traffic since the comment sections have been a bit more, ahem, “lively” than usual for a day or 2 now.

• Realme
      10:35 am August 27, 2020 Permalink

Same. That Zach article with him replying as petty as possible was extra yuck, I assumed it was that crashing everything.

2. Laker Cat 18
    10:04 am August 27, 2020 Permalink

First, the NBA boycott…

Then the KDE decides to meet Friday to consider overriding the KHSAA’s decision to proceed fall sports season, which also received the Governor’s approval as well. It’s obvious who is pulling those strings. He doesn’t want that attached to his re-election campaign. I’m a pretty rational person, but you can’t convince me otherwise.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:06 am August 27, 2020 Permalink

And before I take feedback on this…it’s not the decision not to play that pisses me off. It’s the process of us getting here. Quit dragging kids along. Cancel it, play it, or postpone it to the spring….but MAKE A DECISION. You’re making the kids your political puppets and it’s not fair to them.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:09 am August 27, 2020 Permalink

Hallelujah! Holy $#!+! Where’s the Tylenol?

• Realme
      10:12 am August 27, 2020 Permalink

These teams keep doing what they’re told to do in order to play, only to have the rug pulled out from them over and over again.

• ClutchCargo
      10:22 am August 27, 2020 Permalink

Completely agree, LC. Too many agendas at work here.

• runningunnin.454
      10:29 am August 27, 2020 Permalink

Ha ha LC, I caught that; is your name Griswold?

10:30 am August 27, 2020 Permalink

How many layers does this have to go through? I don’t remember reading any indication, when the gov stepped aside and didn’t overrule the KHSAA, that the DOE (BOE or whatever) would have a say in this. What next? If the DOE/BOE gives the go-ahead, will someone decide the legislature has to vote? Better yet, their committees first?

• Laker Cat 18
      10:34 am August 27, 2020 Permalink

RG – Top 5 movie on my all-time list. No doubt.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:36 am August 27, 2020 Permalink

The bottom line is that the Governor is attending his son’s baseball games right now. Why not play baseball right now and play football in the spring? I’m okay with a permanent decision to flip seasons in the future.

10:41 am August 27, 2020 Permalink

LC, you’re 100% right about how unfair this is to the players. I applaud Scott Satterfield for being the first one (that I know of) to point out that this is treating the players like a yo-yo. He and you are absolutely spot on (and no, I’m not that other commenter that starts every comment with “SPOT ON!”).

• runningunnin.454
      11:05 am August 27, 2020 Permalink

“Worse, how can things get any worse. Take a look around you; we’re at the threshold of hell”. Yep, great movie, and that quote is eerily appropriate today.

• RealCatsFan
      11:17 am August 27, 2020 Permalink

LC, couldn’t agree with you more that they need to poop or get off the pot. My kid is going to play sand volleyball if they don’t offer school ball – she wants to play for her school, with her classmates, but if it’s not a go, she wants to do SOMETHING. And the sand fall season is just about to start up. I am just about ready to say the hell with it and sign her up for sand anyway.

• Laker Cat 18
      11:20 am August 27, 2020 Permalink

Some of the best quotes…

“I was just looking for something for my wife, God rest her soul.”

“Can’t see the line, can you Russ?”

“Where ya gonna put a tree that big? Bend over and I’ll show ya.”

• RealCatsFan
      11:32 am August 27, 2020 Permalink

… and perhaps the best quote: “Shitter’s full!” 😀

11:34 am August 27, 2020 Permalink

“I don’t know if I ought to go down no hill with nothing between the ground and my brain but a piece of government plastic.”

3. runningunnin.454
    10:13 am August 27, 2020 Permalink

I watched the Blake video several times, and still don’t understand it. Police are trained to yell “GUN” if they see one to alert other officers; but, this officer didn’t. A witness said the screamed, “drop the knife”. If there was only a knife, I don’t think 7 shots in the back were justified. It seems some officers are ill trained, or don’t have the temperament for the job.
    I was pulled over for speeding late one night, and I thought you were supposed to exit the vehicle so they could see your hands; this trooper screamed, “get back in the car”, and was hunkered down behind his cruiser door with his weapon pointed at me….whoa.

• Realme
      10:18 am August 27, 2020 Permalink

“It seems some officers are ill trained, or don’t have the temperament for the job.” It does seem so, and when that happens, they need to be transparently held accountable.
      I flipped the glove compartment open to helpfully find our registration for an Ohio state trooper once, and he reached for his gun, eeek. Ooops.

10:25 am August 27, 2020 Permalink

I knew a teenager once who said he was pulled over and he was reaching for his wallet in his back pocket, and the cop reacted about like the one with RG. I don’t think he said the cop pulled his gun, but he did hunker down. Anyway, the cop told him to always keep his hands on the wheel when pulled over, so I’ve always done that since hearing the story.

• runningunnin.454
      10:25 am August 27, 2020 Permalink

All that said, I don’t understand why people, black or white, don’t just comply with the police; that’s what I did, and there was no problem after the initial “shock”. You can always talk about it later. I expressed my concerns to the judge later; he said he would look into it, dismissed the ticket, and told me “have a nice day”.

10:29 am August 27, 2020 Permalink

I’m sure said cop in my acquaintance’s story reached for his gun.

RG, I doubt your judge looked into it. He probably was just mollifying you.

• runningunnin.454
      10:33 am August 27, 2020 Permalink

Probably not; but, I did get out of the ticket.

10:35 am August 27, 2020 Permalink

RG, one more thing: my understanding is the police reform bill that Senator Tim Scott (R-SC) proposed was supposed to fund better training to help prevent things like the Blake situation from happening (if that is indeed what happened…I’m not saying it isn’t), but it stalled.

10:36 am August 27, 2020 Permalink

Well, if he dismissed the ticket, maybe he at least did send a message to the cop’s superior.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:40 am August 27, 2020 Permalink

I got pulled over for speeding (honestly less than 5 over the limit) in Arkansas last summer and the trooper was an a-hole. Two days later, got pulled over for legit speeding (10 over probably) in Kentucky and the trooper was probably the nicest one I’ve ever had an encounter with. A cops attitude when approaching a vehicle on a traffic stop is everything. Same with the driver.

• RealCatsFan
      11:27 am August 27, 2020 Permalink

I have multiple friends in law enforcement,, so I can certainly see it from their perspective, especially nowadays. At the end of the day, the great majority of them just want to work their shift and come home safe and sound to their families. And yes, they are trained to react defensively if anyone reaches into a pocket, or into a glove box, or jumps out of a car. EVERY parent should have that conversation with their teenage drivers, male or female, on how to handle being pulled over. Turn on your flashers so the cop knows that you recognize that you are being pulled over, then find a safe place to pull over. Nothing puts a cop on edge more than barely pulling off in the fast lane with cars whizzing by inches from him when he gets out of his car. You can be sure you are going to get a ticket when you do that. When you stop, get your license and registration out sitting on the seat if you can before he comes up to the car. Roll down the window, shut the car and radio off, and sit there with your hands on top the wheel. Yes sir/no sir is the language you want to use. Yeah, sometimes you get one who is having a bad day or just an a-hole, but this gives you your best bet of NOT getting shot, and you might just get off with a warning instead of a ticket.

I got pulled over by a KSP a few weeks ago on 71. He was a very nice, polite guy, and I thanked him for serving us when he left. And yes, I just got a warning – for 12 over.

• Realme
      11:32 am August 27, 2020 Permalink

My husband has been pulled over in town several times recently, and he isn’t polite. He argues. And gets another warning. It’s so weird.

• runningunnin.454
      11:33 am August 27, 2020 Permalink

Realme; what did you say? EEEK? I didn’t say it; but, I wanted to…”Sir, don’t know how to break it to you; but, that’s not the first time I’ve had a gun in my face”. The guy was already agitated.

11:39 am August 27, 2020 Permalink

RG, I read an article years ago about an older man who was a vet of WW2 and Korea. Someone mugged him, and I think they had a knife. Regardless, he was walking with a cane and he told the guy “Son, I’ve been through 2 wars. You don’t scare me.” The old man proceeded to kick some booty. Haha.

• Realme
      11:39 am August 27, 2020 Permalink

I think I just apologized, and asked if he wanted me to get it. I was in the passenger seat, but he came to the window on my side, so once he saw inside the glove compartment he was fine. I felt bad that I made him nervous.

• Realme
      11:40 am August 27, 2020 Permalink

All that because my husband thought it was fun to do an occasional “speed burst” on the interstate, lol.

• ClutchCargo
      11:54 am August 27, 2020 Permalink

I can understand the occasional speed burst. Several years ago my wife had this car that was decently fast and the speedometer went up to 120 or whatever it was. For whatever reason, I was driving it on I-65 on day and decided to find out how fast it would actually go. I’ll never know for sure, but it easily pinned on 120 and was still accelerating when I figured I had better slow it down, There were no cops around, thankfully.

4. Realme
    10:20 am August 27, 2020 Permalink

So if Matt is right and the BOE doesn’t plan to stop high school athletics, what are they doing? They just want everyone to stop what they’re doing so they can feel relevant? Sounds like something Emmert would do.

5. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:27 am August 27, 2020 Permalink

Questions:
    1) How many of you out there can just walk off the job and keep it? Would Matt (I guess it would actually be iHeart) allow his whole radio crew to walk out right after going on the air this morning? How about the website crew? What if they all just decided they weren’t working today to protest? Would he/iHeart be okay with shutting it down?
    2) What does Kenny Smith walking off set and players boycotting their games substantively accomplish? I said substantively. Don’t bring up “Raising awareness”. Awareness has been raised, and raised, and raised. Are they actually doing something substantive to change the situation while they’re enjoying their…”time off”?
    3) What does burning down black owned businesses do to alleviate the problem?

• Realme
      10:33 am August 27, 2020 Permalink

I just want to know, now what? They want change, but what specifically do they want to see in order to play again? The officer in Wiscornsin gets arrested? That won’t fix policing nationwide. What are their demands? Just saying they’re mad (rightfully imo) doesn’t move the needle.

10:37 am August 27, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, I forgot to point that out. The Minneapolis officer was charged pretty quickly, and cities still burned.

• runningunnin.454
      10:45 am August 27, 2020 Permalink

All good questions; yes, everyone has heard their concerns, over and over and over. BLM in big letters on the nba floor, a big sign that says, “united in black”, the players’ jerseys. We all get it; but, I wonder if people will stop listening if they become the little boy that cried wolf? Or (cliche’ time),
      Run it into the ground, flog a dead horse, sweep a dirt floor, or as the British would say, “over-egg the pudding”.

10:49 am August 27, 2020 Permalink

Come on Matt. A labor strike that’s about pay, unsafe working conditions, etc. accomplishes something because it’s JOB RELATED!!! Those examples you just gave are not applicable.

10:53 am August 27, 2020 Permalink

And all Matt said is strikes can accomplish a lot. Not one example of what this can accomplish. He gave labor examples only. Brother.

11:23 am August 27, 2020 Permalink

So I sent a message to the Texting Machine with the verbiage from my next to last comment on this thread. He replied saying “It is being done so owners commit to helping the problem. I bet it works.” Still no substantive examples given.

“so owners commit to helping the problem”. Well, let me see if I can guess what that might involve? Substantive sums donated to a certain Marxist organization, rather than say, pressuring their senators and congressmen to support Senator Scott’s bill?

• Realme
      11:29 am August 27, 2020 Permalink

So they want owners of NBA teams to enact changes for nationwide police standards and accountability? Huh? I just don’t see how things get better from here. Hope someone with the power to do something figures it out.

11:41 am August 27, 2020 Permalink

Exactly Realme. It’s going to be donations to BLM they want IMO, and maybe to liberal politicians directly also. And, a lot of the money BLM raises is going to said politicians.

• Realme
      11:43 am August 27, 2020 Permalink

And we all know politicians don’t actually care. They are always playing their own selfish games.

6. Realme
    10:39 am August 27, 2020 Permalink

I don’t think what Matt just said was fair. Kash was very patriotic on Twitter, lots of love for his country, lots of american flags, etc. I never once saw anything Trump or MAGA.

7. Laker Cat 18
    10:42 am August 27, 2020 Permalink

Did you all see some of the evidence in the Breonna Taylor case was released yesterday?

8. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:51 am August 27, 2020 Permalink

Wow, that’s a seismic change that UK has left WKYT for WLEX (or “channel 27 for channel 18” like we would have said in my growing up days). Hasn’t UK been with WKYT since at least the 70s? Granted, they had also been with WVLK forever and bolted for WLAP several years ago.

9. Realme
    11:13 am August 27, 2020 Permalink

Bruiser sounds fun.

• ClutchCargo
      11:24 am August 27, 2020 Permalink

He seems like just a regular guy, maybe a nextdoor neighbor. I can see how his ability to connect with people would be valuable.

• RealCatsFan
      11:30 am August 27, 2020 Permalink

I thought a guy named “Bruiser” would have an, ahem, “huskier voice”. 🙂

• ClutchCargo
      11:33 am August 27, 2020 Permalink

Better not say that to his face, RCF. You might find out why they call him Bruiser. 🙂

11:35 am August 27, 2020 Permalink

Mike Tyson is an example of that with the voice. Also Dave Stewart, former pitcher for the As. His face was pretty menacing on the mound and then it turned out he had a pretty light voice. The Reds weren’t intimidated by his face during the 1990 World Series BTW. 😉

• ClutchCargo
      11:40 am August 27, 2020 Permalink

I almost made a similar comment about Mike Tyson, cg. As for Dave Stewart, maybe the Reds just kept picturing the look on his face when he got arrested with a transvestite prostitute a few years prior. 🙂

• Realme
      11:42 am August 27, 2020 Permalink

Bruiser sounds way better than Avery Johnson. Wasn’t that the guy that was an SEC bball coach for a while with the teeny tiny voice?

10. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    11:18 am August 27, 2020 Permalink

I like Bruiser.

11. ClutchCargo
    11:28 am August 27, 2020 Permalink

So, somebody long ago stumbled upon this patch of land in E KY and said “this place is hell fer certain. Yep, let’s just call it that.”

12. RealCatsFan
    11:36 am August 27, 2020 Permalink

How inn the hell could you live in Kentucky and not ever know what a redbud tree looks like? Hard to miss the amazing display of purple blooms in the spring. Geesh!

• Realme
      11:37 am August 27, 2020 Permalink

Ha ha they’re SO KSR.

• ClutchCargo
      11:42 am August 27, 2020 Permalink

I’m almost not surprised by the things they don’t know at this point. Still funny, though.

13. Realme
    11:52 am August 27, 2020 Permalink

Shannon’s score cards are my favorite.