KSR Show Thread 8/24: Shannon’s Victory Lap

Photo by Aaron Perkins

Photo by Aaron Perkins

Good morning, friends, and welcome to the Monday edition of Kentucky Sports Radio. Today, the whole gang is here to recap Shannon’s 50-mile walk on Friday, so tune in for a well-deserved victory lap. We’ll also welcome Ryan Lemond back from vacation and break down the news from the weekend.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

56 Comments for KSR Show Thread 8/24: Shannon’s Victory Lap

1. Laker Cat 18
    10:08 am August 24, 2020 Permalink

Lexington, man. Violence is getting bad, especially among our youth.

10:12 am August 24, 2020 Permalink

What’s our 2020 murder count up to?

• runningunnin.454
      10:13 am August 24, 2020 Permalink

People behaving foolishly with guns, smh.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:19 am August 24, 2020 Permalink

“Kids.” Kids behaving foolishly with guns. Twenty-three Lexington murders in 2020, 9 of those victims under the age of 21.

• runningunnin.454
      10:20 am August 24, 2020 Permalink

Lexington murder count for the year probably comparable to a weekend in Chicago.

10:20 am August 24, 2020 Permalink

Sheesh, that’s disheartening.

• RealCatsFan
      10:24 am August 24, 2020 Permalink

Louisville had a 14 year old murdered over the weekend. A week or so ago a 3 year old and her father were both murdered. A father who was riding along with his son buying a cell phone was carjacked and murdered in the west end in front of his son. Becoming commonplace. It just feels like our cities are a meaner and more hateful place.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:31 am August 24, 2020 Permalink

I can’t imagine losing a loved one like that, especially right in front of me.

• RealCatsFan
      10:39 am August 24, 2020 Permalink

I am not usually one to play into the “media bias” theories, but in the case of this murder, there has been very little coverage in our city. And of course no suspects at all. No one will talk to the police in some of these communities because of fear of retaliation from the gangs that run the neighborhoods. It’s sad.

• RealCatsFan
      10:40 am August 24, 2020 Permalink

I also heard from one of the other volleyball moms that there were shots fired at Fayette Mall. Her daughter was there, but she was able to safely evacuate.

10:43 am August 24, 2020 Permalink

3 people shot at the mall, one died (as of last night). I assumed that was what triggered LC’s comment.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:10 am August 24, 2020 Permalink

Wow, I went to WKYT for info on the Fayette Mall shooting and saw this:

It’s just around the corner from where we lived after moving out of the housing project. We lived at 3527 Riverpark Drive before moving to Georgia.

2. Realme
    10:13 am August 24, 2020 Permalink

Matt so fake magnanimous about being wrong. He can’t stand it.

3. RealCatsFan
    10:22 am August 24, 2020 Permalink

Somehow I would expect “STD Day” to have an entirely different connotation. Should Rick Pitino be involved?

4. RealCatsFan
    10:25 am August 24, 2020 Permalink

WHOOOSH! What the hell was it that just flew by me? Oh yeah, the weekend. 🙁

10:26 am August 24, 2020 Permalink

Weekends should be 3 days and work days should be 6 hours.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:29 am August 24, 2020 Permalink

2 hours and only after KSR. Haha.

• RealCatsFan
      10:36 am August 24, 2020 Permalink

Realme, will you run for office on that platform? You have my vote!

10:40 am August 24, 2020 Permalink

That would definitely be my platform if I was crazy enough to run for office.

5. RealCatsFan
    10:37 am August 24, 2020 Permalink

It would be so sweet to get a player to flip from dook, but I don’t think you can rescue a kid who has had his soul stolen by the vampire. Better bring your cross and holy water, Cal.

10:40 am August 24, 2020 Permalink

Yeah that sounds dangerous. What if he turned and then bit the rest of the team?

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:42 am August 24, 2020 Permalink

Garlic too?

• runningunnin.454
      10:45 am August 24, 2020 Permalink

Not sure we could afford him.

• RealCatsFan
      10:51 am August 24, 2020 Permalink

Maybe that’s why Cal didn’t offer to give some of his salary back – he knew he was going to need to break out the BIG duffel bag to steal this kid from Kount K.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:52 am August 24, 2020 Permalink

Which player were they talking about?

11:02 am August 24, 2020 Permalink

Banchero.

• RealCatsFan
      11:02 am August 24, 2020 Permalink

The Paulo Banchero dude – sounds like he should be a bull fighter. 🙂

11:02 am August 24, 2020 Permalink

Our new commit said he was still going to be working on him.

• runningunnin.454
      11:04 am August 24, 2020 Permalink

The power forward that committed to the Blew Devils; I think his name is Lestat.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:13 am August 24, 2020 Permalink

I can’t see him flipping someone from Kount K, but if he can, more power to him!

• RealCatsFan
      11:25 am August 24, 2020 Permalink

Cal’s Italian – he should have enough garlic on his breath from lunch to repel vampires.

6. RealCatsFan
    10:49 am August 24, 2020 Permalink

great song by Young the Giant. That one was on my playlist back when I used to be able to actually run races. Pink Floyd “Run Like Hell” was another great song for that.

7. Laker Cat 18
    10:51 am August 24, 2020 Permalink

The Herald Leader guy on Twitter has already put out that some of the Fayette County Schools have cancelled their first two games scheduled for September 11th & 18th. Unless that was a lie by the coach who told him.

• RealCatsFan
      10:59 am August 24, 2020 Permalink

JCPS is proposing waiting one additional week past what the KHSAA proposed. They vote on it tonight. Andy needs to make a decision today. I heard on the radio that there is supposed to be a protest or rally or something in Frankfort. Not sure if that will help or hurt.

11:02 am August 24, 2020 Permalink

So will the protesters be wearing masks? If not, Andy probs won’t care what they think.

8. Laker Cat 18
    10:54 am August 24, 2020 Permalink

What the heck is postponing for two more weeks going to do? Just push it to spring if that’s the case. Dragging it along is stupid and just leading the kids on.

• RealCatsFan
      10:56 am August 24, 2020 Permalink

I’m pretty much with you, LC. My younger kid is waiting to hear something definite so she can decide if she wants to try beach volleyball this fall. If they string it out much longer, we will just have to cut bait and switch to sand.

9. RealCatsFan
    10:54 am August 24, 2020 Permalink

So the Mrs and I went up to the local brewery Saturday night and met her sister and her hubby. We sat outside in the beer garden, masked up when heading to the bathroom of the bar, and everyone was nice an spaced out. I wasn’t really worried about COVID at all. Unfortunately, when the weather turns, that option won’t be there.

11:00 am August 24, 2020 Permalink

My girlfriends and I that get together once a month are still doing back yards or park shelters, and just bringing our own food. A couple of them are nervous to even do that. I’m hoping by the time it’s cold they will be ready to go in somewhere.

• runningunnin.454
      11:14 am August 24, 2020 Permalink

Thunder and Covid can’t last forever,

11:17 am August 24, 2020 Permalink

I don’t know if I believe you but cool owl video.

10. RealCatsFan
    11:22 am August 24, 2020 Permalink

I used to go to the Indy 500 with a bunch of buddies. We would ride up on Saturday morning with tents and bikes. We would camp out in the yard of a guy who lived right by the track – we actually got to know him over the years as we came back every year. He would charge us (can’t remember how much) to park and camp in his yard. He even grilled burgers for everyone! We spent the day and night before the race riding around on our bikes and taking in the scene on Georgetown Rd in front of the track. It reminded me of the crazy scene that was Central Ave on Derby Eve. I don’t think that has happened in about 10 years for Derby. Kind of sad to see traditions being shut down.

11. Realme
    11:38 am August 24, 2020 Permalink

The only time the bubble has been on at my house was all Lebron carrying on like a 6 year old.

12. Realme
    11:39 am August 24, 2020 Permalink

I agree with that commenter that Matt may not be teaching much about by Ky by sharing his terrible music with ESPN radio listeners.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:52 am August 24, 2020 Permalink

I tuned in for a minute, and literally the first thing I heard, no like, was MJ saying “There are churches in Kentucky that still practice snake handling! Hee Haw!!!” Way to go Matt.

Okay, I added the Hee Haw, but he may as well have said it. He was guffawing about it. I don’t agree with that practice (long story as to why it’s not Biblical), but Matt also may as well just start dressing like the Hatfields & McCoys when he’s on TV.

11:52 am August 24, 2020 Permalink

smh

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:53 am August 24, 2020 Permalink

no lie…

13. Realme
    11:52 am August 24, 2020 Permalink

“Some sort of rivalry thing between two groups of folks”? Is it not pc to say gang?

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:53 am August 24, 2020 Permalink

Of course not, especially when you’re not gutsy enough to take a stand on whether to rename Rupp Arena.

• RealCatsFan
      11:55 am August 24, 2020 Permalink

These gangbangers have no respect for human life. Guns are all over the place, and social media just fans the flames. It’s time for housecleaning, but it’s not just up to the police or even local elected officials. The adults in these communities (mainly parents) need to step up to help solve this.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:57 am August 24, 2020 Permalink

As I alluded to on a thread above, I grew up in the project in Lexington for about 8 years. It was bad then. I can’t imagine what it would be like now if it hadn’t been razed.