KSR Show Thread 8/21: Go Shannon, Go!

Good morning, friends, and welcome to the Friday edition of Kentucky Sports Radio, which is coming to you live from the streets of Lexington as Matt and Drew join Shannon on the home stretch of his 50-mile walk. Tune in, and be sure to keep an eye on the Studio 46 live stream at 11 a.m.:

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

81 Comments for KSR Show Thread 8/21: Go Shannon, Go!

1. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:01 am August 21, 2020 Permalink

So check this out sports fans! The Sun Belt is playing a FULL 12 game schedule! Here is Troy’s schedule, and notice they play MTSU twice:

This is encouraging. The Troy AD was on the radio this morning and he sounds like a great guy and great AD. He’s definitely a great communicator. Maybe a replacement when Mitch retires if Peevy doesn’t come back?

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:03 am August 21, 2020 Permalink

Oh, and EKU travels to Troy on Oct. 17.

2. runningunnin.454
    10:04 am August 21, 2020 Permalink

Sooo, former UK recruit picks that other team in blue (out of the blue, ha ha) and his commitment video features one of those tasteless rap songs with the lyrics, “to be honest, don’t care about your opinion, where’s the check…for real, though”.
    Yeah, WE KNOW. No, thank you.
    Can’t post that song here, so here’s this one,

3. Realme
    10:11 am August 21, 2020 Permalink

Shannon has walked 35+ miles instead of going to bed, and they’re whining about carrying radio equipment. smh

10:12 am August 21, 2020 Permalink

You beat me to it! Matt is such a metro!

10:16 am August 21, 2020 Permalink

I always felt sorry for people who have kid activities to attend on Saturday mornings.

10:17 am August 21, 2020 Permalink

Wrong reply spot. Chris, that. ^

10:18 am August 21, 2020 Permalink

Oh, that has been my life for many years now. Usually had the early wakeup call on Sunday mornings too. And tens of thousands of miles riding in the car to and from practices and tournaments. But looking back, I wouldn’t trade it for anything. In fact, now with the COVID crap, I sorely miss it. There’s just something about watching your kid compete.

10:21 am August 21, 2020 Permalink

Oh I’m sure it is worth it, it just sounds terrible.

10:25 am August 21, 2020 Permalink

It definitely sucks when that alarm goes off at 5:30 AM on a Saturday morning.

10:28 am August 21, 2020 Permalink

I often get up earlier on Saturdays to go hiking with the spouse, but that’s knowing I can go back to bed when I get home. :p

• ClutchCargo
      10:29 am August 21, 2020 Permalink

I always tell myself that I would never look back one day and remember all those Saturday mornings I just slept in. I was a band dad for a few years, hauling equipment on my utility trailer and early mornings and late nights in the same day for competitions. I miss the camaraderie that goes along with that, but I’m a much better football fan now that I have my Saturdays back.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:29 am August 21, 2020 Permalink

Our daughter isn’t involved in something like volleyball, but we have taken her to Ft. Walton and Johnson City, TN for martial arts tournaments. That’s nowhere near doing travel ball like RCF and so many baseball, softball, and bball parents.

BTW, Johnson City is in a BEAUTIFL area. I had never been there, the weather was really cold, and it was great. When we drove back that Sunday, we headed toward Asheville so we could drive through the mountains. Unbelievable and like you’re in a different world. We visited a church in Asheville, ate lunch, then headed home. We also ate later in a small town in SC, and I had an epiphany. I told my wife “Uh, I just remembered Alabama doesn’t have reciprocity with SC with concealed carry permits.” We do with basically every other southern state. I don’t know what SC’s deal is. Oh well, just keep it concealed and hope and pray you don’t have to use it (which is standard anyway…I don’t generally open carry although people have that freedom per the Bill of Rights).

4. Realme
    10:12 am August 21, 2020 Permalink

It almost happened today. I was this close to complaining about having to work today. 🙂 Can’t believe I made it this far honestly.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:13 am August 21, 2020 Permalink

You can sleep all weekend to recover. Haha.

• ClutchCargo
      10:30 am August 21, 2020 Permalink

I knew you could do it, that’s why I took the “over.”

5. RealCatsFan
    10:12 am August 21, 2020 Permalink

When you get in a groove walking, you can keep a pretty good pace.

10:16 am August 21, 2020 Permalink

And when you have people cheering you on, the adrenaline kicks in. I remember that from running the Derby Minimarathon. Coming out of the hills of Iroquois Park, going down that long, downhill grade with literally thousands of people cheering us on, I would have the theme song from “Chariots of Fire” playing through my head. 🙂 And then the reality of that long, uphill slog down 4th street would hit. Usually around mile 10, the calves would absolutely lock up.

10:22 am August 21, 2020 Permalink

The fact that his back is tightening up is not surprising. You would be surprised how much you use your back muscles when you walk. When I used to run, I would get that sharp pain right at the base of my neck that would drive me crazy.

10:24 am August 21, 2020 Permalink

My lower back / hip area stops functioning after about an hour and a half. You could offer me a million bucks and I doubt I could do what he’s doing.

10:32 am August 21, 2020 Permalink

I couldn’t do it now because I need a partial knee replacement on my right knee and my left foot is a total disaster. #GettingOldSucks

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:54 am August 21, 2020 Permalink

I know someone who is about my age who said walking reduced her back pain. I guess it all depends.

6. RealCatsFan
    10:13 am August 21, 2020 Permalink

Shannon should make Matt call him “Shannon the MAN” from now on. 🙂

10:15 am August 21, 2020 Permalink

That should be your #STDWALK Tweet.

10:20 am August 21, 2020 Permalink

Too bad I don’t tweet. Will someone with a Twitter account tweet that out for me, and of course give me credit? 😉

10:22 am August 21, 2020 Permalink

I don’t tweet on the clock because it uses my real name, but I’ll do it later!

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:24 am August 21, 2020 Permalink

Realme isn’t your real name? 😉

10:27 am August 21, 2020 Permalink

Not my real photo either, believe it or not!

• runningunnin.454
      10:30 am August 21, 2020 Permalink

Matt didn’t finish; I’m shocked, shocked I tell you. (Casablanca reference for Rm).

10:34 am August 21, 2020 Permalink

Youtubetv and Netflix don’t have Casablanca btw so I still haven’t watched.

• ClutchCargo
      10:34 am August 21, 2020 Permalink

I should probably tweet something sometime. Or not. I have had a Twitter account for a few years, but just use it to follow a few people or organizations for informational purposes. I’m more sociable in real life than I am online, apparently.

10:38 am August 21, 2020 Permalink

Ha ha, not me Clutch. Facebook was too social for me.

• ClutchCargo
      10:43 am August 21, 2020 Permalink

I got tired of all the narcissism, incivility and me getting mad at people I don’t even know. Quitting Facebook was one of the best things I have done for myself, and I can’t see ever going back. My wife is still on there and we had quite a few mutual friends, so she can just let me know anything I really need to know. I have considered just creating an account with no personal info and no friends, just to be able to do things you need a Facebook account to do.

• ClutchCargo
      10:46 am August 21, 2020 Permalink

Also, Hulu pissed me off one too many times last night and I canceled it and reactivated my YouTube TV account. Hulu dvr is the absolute worst. It’s 50/50 whether something I have set to record will actually record, and that’s just a deal breaker for me.

10:52 am August 21, 2020 Permalink

If it wasn’t for the SEC Network and needing AMC for TWD, I would use an antenna and one of the super cheapo or even free services (plus Netflix). Youtube keeps jacking up the price. Soon they might as well be cable.

• ClutchCargo
      10:58 am August 21, 2020 Permalink

I hated that about YoutubeTV for awhile, but I have started to rationalize to myself that it’s like cable, but cheaper and way more flexible. It fills the gap between cable/satellite and other streaming services. I just can’t get Fox Sports Ohio on it, is the only downside for me.

11:07 am August 21, 2020 Permalink

I don’t get mad at people on FB anymore, and it didn’t take long to figure out that you aren’t going to change anyone’s mind when it comes to politics.

11:12 am August 21, 2020 Permalink

I have all the words muted on Twitter, so political tweets don’t squeak through too much.

7. RealCatsFan
    10:24 am August 21, 2020 Permalink

The guys who really blow me away are the ones who run marathons at a sub five minute pace. It’s usually some dude from Kenya who blows everyone away.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:32 am August 21, 2020 Permalink

10:34 am August 21, 2020 Permalink

HaHa, it wouldn’t be Friday without our token Seinfeld reference. Good one!

• ClutchCargo
      10:36 am August 21, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, that’s pretty insane. But what REALLY blows me away is that dude who ran a daily marathon for something like 130 days straight in Iroquois Park a few years ago.

10:36 am August 21, 2020 Permalink

This guy might be the most impressive dude I have seen. 95 years old and still going!

10:39 am August 21, 2020 Permalink

Funny story – many, MANY years ago Mrs RCF ran a couple of minimarathons with me. When she started running, we worked our way up to it by running some shorter races. There was always this old dude in his 70’s who would blow right by her at the end of the race. To rub it in, he would immediately light up a cigarette at the finish line! 😀 Her nemesis.

10:43 am August 21, 2020 Permalink

Ooooh I don’t like that guy. Good for her for not tripping him.

10:55 am August 21, 2020 Permalink

He wasn’t intentionally taunting her, but he did light up that smoke, and it seemed like it to her. Every race, she would say, “I’m NOT going to let him pass me”, but he always did. It was hilarious. 🙂

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:59 am August 21, 2020 Permalink

One of those pocket size super soakers would solve that problem quickly!

8. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:37 am August 21, 2020 Permalink

RG, you’re such a yuge Beatles guy, here you go (you may have already read it but just in case):

• runningunnin.454
      10:55 am August 21, 2020 Permalink

Yep, saw that; dark day to be sure. The picture is from the Rooftop concert; January on top of a roof in London, brrr.
      Despite the chaos, it’s still my favorite album; here’s the full concert…the police shutting it down is hilarious.

9. Laker Cat 18
    10:50 am August 21, 2020 Permalink

So Bevin screwed the teacher’s and their pensions. Gone.

Will Beshear screw the student-athletes and their seasons? These guys will be voting the next election he runs.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:58 am August 21, 2020 Permalink

Wasn’t the pension thing already a problem when he took over, left behind by Andy’s daddy? My understanding is Big Beshear kicked the can down the road instead of addressing the problem. That’s no excuse for Bevin if he didn’t address it, but I saw comments here saying he was trying to address it and the teacher unions fought him at every turn (which is typical of teacher unions). Maybe I’m wrong and I didn’t keep up with it much since I don’t live there.

10:58 am August 21, 2020 Permalink

I don’t get the feeling that he cares about the next election that much. I think he thinks he is doing the right thing. Maybe it is, maybe it isn’t, but I don’t think it’s a calculated plot. I think he is just the type who is kind over overly cautious, kind of like having Mr Rogers as your gub’ner. 🙂 But I sure wish he would let the sports at least have a chance of happening. At this point, I don’t see it happening. We are getting ready to look for other options to play volleyball this fall.

11:02 am August 21, 2020 Permalink

cg, the actual pension issue originated a couple of governors before Steve Beshear. I do agree that Beshear should have addressed it, and Bevin was trying to fix it, but I also think Bevin was kind of heavy handed in how he wanted to go about it, and then he was an ass to anyone who didn’t agree with him. As much as people talk about wanting to get away from “professional politicians”, you still have to practice some level of diplomacy with those who have a different viewpoint. Like him or not, I think Andy is MUCH better at that part of the job.

• ClutchCargo
      11:03 am August 21, 2020 Permalink

One positive of each of the last two KY guvnahs is that they don’t seem overly concerned about re-election. Or maybe that’s just arrogance. One thing for sure is the pension problem has been building for decades, and it’s not just a KY thing.

• Laker Cat 18
      11:31 am August 21, 2020 Permalink

My favorite Governor the past decade was the one from The Walking Dead. LOL

11:48 am August 21, 2020 Permalink

How many heads in jars do you think Bevin had?

10. Realme
    10:50 am August 21, 2020 Permalink

He’s a man on a journey… Yank, earbuds out!

11. RealCatsFan
    11:03 am August 21, 2020 Permalink

So now we have the prospect of TWO hurricanes hitting the Gulf Coast on the same day. That is SO 2020!

12. Realme
    11:10 am August 21, 2020 Permalink

Aw, I should have made Shannon a sign. Sounds like he’s coming through downtown.

13. Realme
    11:13 am August 21, 2020 Permalink

Matt can’t math and walk. He’s moving fast, he doesn’t need almost 3 hours to finish 6 miles.

11:22 am August 21, 2020 Permalink

Well, that’s more than 6 miles, maybe Shannon’s fit bit is over counting. Or he’s taking the outside line the whole way.

• runningunnin.454
      11:31 am August 21, 2020 Permalink

Can anyone tell me why Matt is out of breath? That’s too funny!

• Laker Cat 18
      11:32 am August 21, 2020 Permalink

Matt is really struggling. He may need to schedule a physical after this with a family physician.

11:35 am August 21, 2020 Permalink

LC he said yesterday he had one and is supposed to lose 15 pounds, diet and work out and all that.

• ClutchCargo
      11:39 am August 21, 2020 Permalink

Maybe he needs to lose that COVID 19. 😉 Somehow I have managed to only gain about 1 lb during all of this. I actually lost some weight initially, but then have gained it back recently.

• ClutchCargo
      11:41 am August 21, 2020 Permalink

Dang, I hate it when I post a reply before refreshing.

• Laker Cat 18
      11:44 am August 21, 2020 Permalink

Did he? I skipped yesterday’s show to listen to the KHSAA BoD meeting.

11:47 am August 21, 2020 Permalink

Yes. He doesn’t understand lean muscle mass, intervals, intermittent fasting, or the fact that hummus is healthy and wings are less so.

12:00 pm August 21, 2020 Permalink

LC, do you think we have a snowball’s chance in hell of having any fall sports?

• Laker Cat 18
      12:05 pm August 21, 2020 Permalink

I did at noon yesterday. Went to practice excited and got the guys pumped up. Then after the governor spoke, completely flipped. I have no idea what will happen.

• Laker Cat 18
      12:07 pm August 21, 2020 Permalink

The thing that pisses me off the most is that one of the board of directors on the KHSAA meeting yesterday let it slip that he has had multiple people spot Beshear himself attending his sons baseball games. He’s attending sporting events right now, currently.

14. Laker Cat 18
    11:36 am August 21, 2020 Permalink

Let’s be honest, Shannon is going to act like a [email protected]$$ when he finishes, but he’ll be dropping like a fly when he walks in his door at home. That has to be tough to do.

11:37 am August 21, 2020 Permalink

I hope he took the afternoon / evening off.

• ClutchCargo
      11:40 am August 21, 2020 Permalink

I’m sure that food truck guy who ran it will keep Shannon in check if he crows too much.

15. Realme
    11:45 am August 21, 2020 Permalink

I think Shannon is going to go until his device says he walked 50 and quit, instead of going all the way to the bar so there will always be a controversy.

11:50 am August 21, 2020 Permalink

And however many miles Matt does, he will add more when he says how he did.

11:58 am August 21, 2020 Permalink

He said he was thinking about tacking on a couple of extra miles just to taunt Matt. 🙂 I like it!