KSR Show Thread, 8/21: Food Bracket!!!!

Today marks the beginning of one of our favorite summer traditions: the KSR Food Bracket!

Listen in as we narrow the field with special guests Lee Cruse and Hayley Harmon.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

Article written by Drew Franklin

88 Comments for KSR Show Thread, 8/21: Food Bracket!!!!

1. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:01 am August 21, 2019 Permalink

Nice football get. All I can say is fear the apostrophes. We’re loading up on them.

10:26 am August 21, 2019 Permalink

Love to get the big guys; skill players get all the credit; but, linemen win the games, and are unsung heroes.

10:41 am August 21, 2019 Permalink

We’re becoming linemen U.

2. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:03 am August 21, 2019 Permalink

I just had to repost a portion of mt comment from the morning thread:

FOOD BRACKET???!!! For all that is good, PLEEEEASE, NOOOOO!!! Find something different. Saturday morning cartoons. Sugary carby breakfast cereals. Candy bars. ANYTHING!!! This horse has been mercilessly beaten dozens of times.

• secrick
      10:07 am August 21, 2019 Permalink

Food Bracket, see you tomm.

10:10 am August 21, 2019 Permalink

Yeah, let’s just give it to Taco Bell in Drew’s honor, and move on.

10:11 am August 21, 2019 Permalink

Could not agree more, Chris. I enjoy the brackets enough, but why do the exact same one over and over?

10:21 am August 21, 2019 Permalink

Taco Tico was the first place where I had tacos! I wasn’t sure it still existed.

10:31 am August 21, 2019 Permalink

I’d stop listening, because they’re just making it a million times harder to finish my fast, and I could care less, but I think it’s nice to hear Lee and Hayley on the show. 🙁

10:44 am August 21, 2019 Permalink

Agreed, and it’s mostly fast food places, which really aren’t that good anyway. I try to avoid chain restaurants for the most part (unless they’re small local chains) in favor of local good restaurants.

• RealCatsFan
      11:26 am August 21, 2019 Permalink

Sorry, but Olive garden is just so “meh” in regards to Italian food.

11:48 am August 21, 2019 Permalink

I love their chicken scampi! It’s better than what I’ve had at a couple local Italian places here.

3. runningunnin.454
    10:03 am August 21, 2019 Permalink

Thoroughly enjoyed Drew’s stroll down memory lane. The p0rn queen story was before I found KSR; but, that was hilarious. Two observations,
    1. KSR has really dialed it down since then, and
    2. Over 200 comments, and I didn’t recognize any of those user names.

10:12 am August 21, 2019 Permalink

They are tons less sexist, that’s for sure!

10:12 am August 21, 2019 Permalink

That was before log ins were required, and you could, for example, use a celebrity name and make fun of something or humorously criticize something that would be ironic for that person.

10:20 am August 21, 2019 Permalink

Full disclosure: I got the idea for my screen name from this guy:
      P.PattersonISwalkingthruthatdoor

10:22 am August 21, 2019 Permalink

One example about no log ins was someone might call themselves Bobby Petrino while criticizing a coach for a scandal.

10:35 am August 21, 2019 Permalink

It was fun to be able to constantly change your name, but then, we could never have gotten to know each other without an identity.

10:46 am August 21, 2019 Permalink

True. I usually used this one but might make one up depending on the post.

10:47 am August 21, 2019 Permalink

But some of them, I really don’t want to know. Anyway, we could identify them by their silly comments about Cal, and how we haven’t won 14 titles the last ten years.

4. runningunnin.454
    10:20 am August 21, 2019 Permalink

How about Benny on punt return coverage last night? Guy catches the punt, and Benny chases him back and back and back, and drops him for a 15 yard loss…what was that guy thinking; just take the tackle for no gain.

10:23 am August 21, 2019 Permalink

Game was Sat; but, I didn’t see it live.

10:55 am August 21, 2019 Permalink

I may be overly optimistic, but I think Benny will end up being a star (for more than just the BBN).

10:59 am August 21, 2019 Permalink

The game was on NFL channel; but, the announcers were from the Steeler network…and they agree with you; during the game, they interview two Steelers, and they asked them about Benny. Cool.

11:16 am August 21, 2019 Permalink

I hate the Steelers but I love Benny. Is that a dichotomy?

11:21 am August 21, 2019 Permalink

What’s with all the Steeler hate? I loved to watch Bradshaw, Franco Harris, Lynn Swann, and Mean Joe Greene. What about the immaculate Reception?

11:23 am August 21, 2019 Permalink

I’m a Bengals fan growing up in Lexington. ‘Nuff said.

11:39 am August 21, 2019 Permalink

Oh, SORRY. There seems to be a lot of hate on KSR comments for random NFL and NBA teams that I don’t understand.

11:50 am August 21, 2019 Permalink

Yeah, it was frustrating in the 70’s when we would have a good team and still get beat by the Steelers toward the end and not make the playoffs. One year Bradshaw was hurt and they still beat us when we would have been in if we had won. Half the league didn’t make the playoffs then. Only one wildcard.

5. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:23 am August 21, 2019 Permalink

I’m off work today. You guys entertain me when they start the food bracket. Haha.

6. runningunnin.454
    10:30 am August 21, 2019 Permalink

Advice for Drew and everybody; don’t get Burger King’s tacos…terrible.
    I went to Burger King once,…and they were out of…burgers.
    I asked the lady at the window about it; and, she said she told a car full of teenagers that…and they laughed at her. Ha ha.

10:33 am August 21, 2019 Permalink

Ha ha, the one time we went to try Gus’s world famous fried chicken, they were out of chicken breasts and substituting tenders. How do you run out of YOUR thing?

10:47 am August 21, 2019 Permalink

A friend of mine swears that his father went to Waffle House and they were out of…you guessed it.

• blueforlife
      8:47 pm August 22, 2019 Permalink

We went to a Waffle House once and they too were out of waffle mix. And the “W”
      In the sign was burnt out. It read ‘AFFLE HOUSE”. Considering their out of stock…I couldn’t have agreed more!! It was indeed “AFFLE”!!

10:49 am August 21, 2019 Permalink

No waffles? I would have to cause a scene.

11:12 am August 21, 2019 Permalink

Ding ding! Yep, that was it.

7. RealCatsFan
    10:37 am August 21, 2019 Permalink

My daughter texted me yesterday to tell me she was going to be on the news! Thankfully, it was for all the right seasons. 🙂 WLKY was doing a story on her volleyball team and the obstacles they have had to overcome with their coach being in the hospital with an autoimmune disorder. She appears on camera talking about it – I told her last night that she did a good job appearing on camera without picking her nose.

On top of what they have faced this year, the article does not mention the tragic loss of their head coach last year when he died suddenly just a week after the end of the season. Hopefully the team will weather the storm and find smooth sailing for the season ahead.

10:54 am August 21, 2019 Permalink

That’s cool that your daughter was on TV. Hopefully her team has a better year.

11:12 am August 21, 2019 Permalink

Link? I couldn’t find it on their site.

• RealCatsFan
      11:24 am August 21, 2019 Permalink

Scroll down to the bottom.

11:50 am August 21, 2019 Permalink

I’ll check it out!

8. RealCatsFan
    10:39 am August 21, 2019 Permalink

Pretty glad that I don’t work downtown, since traffic will be a disaster since we are getting a visit from The Orange One.

10:41 am August 21, 2019 Permalink

It’s amazing how very much traffic that they can screw up. A VP visit in Lexington can jack up the whole town for hours.

10:47 am August 21, 2019 Permalink

Same. Thank goodness I’m not downtown.

10:56 am August 21, 2019 Permalink

J-D doesn’t want a signed picture of the Commander In Chief…got it. Heee Haaaw.

11:19 am August 21, 2019 Permalink

It costs like 21K RG. Haha.

11:24 am August 21, 2019 Permalink

Funny story; for the last several years, I have received signed pictures of the Bushes and Trump. I’m a registered Democrat. My wife is a registered Republican, and she has never received any in the mail.
      Pi$$es her off, hah.

• RealCatsFan
      11:38 am August 21, 2019 Permalink

My next door neighbor moved up here from Florida last year. Very friendly folks – we get along very well. He put up a flagpole with Old Glory and right before it, a Trump 2020 flag. Part of me really wants to go on Amazon and order one of those mini Trump Baby balloons and run it up the flagpole one night, but I don’t feel like I know him well enough to gauge his reaction yet. Sometimes you just can’t read how someone will react to a joke.

11:41 am August 21, 2019 Permalink

Some people have no sense of humor regarding politics…and it’s all so hysterical. He didn’t have the Trump flag on top of Old Glory, did he? That’s a no no.

• RealCatsFan
      12:15 pm August 21, 2019 Permalink

No, he had it below it. You are right – some people can’t take a joke, which is why I hesitate. I kind of feel that if you wear your political aspirations on your sleeve (or your flagpole) for all to see, you better have a thick skin and a sense of humor.

9. runningunnin.454
    10:41 am August 21, 2019 Permalink

Went to SEC tournament one year with three friends; and, we stopped at Cracker Barrel on the way back.
    They ordered the stew, and asked for 4 refills, and we heard a voice from the kitchen…”here, take it; just set it by them”.

• RealCatsFan
      11:40 am August 21, 2019 Permalink

I was once offered my money back at an all-you-can-eat chicken and ribs dinner if I would just stop eating. 🙂

11:49 am August 21, 2019 Permalink

LOL.

11:51 am August 21, 2019 Permalink

CB had all you can eat stew?

11:55 am August 21, 2019 Permalink

I don’t think so!

10. Realme
    10:51 am August 21, 2019 Permalink

Shannon’s just trying to make us throw up, right?

10:51 am August 21, 2019 Permalink

And Ryan just picks everything that’s in his neighborhood.

11. J-Dub421
    10:53 am August 21, 2019 Permalink

Hot take: PF Changs is really overrated. Their sauces are too sweet and sugary, they usually overcook their chicken so that it’s dry and tough, and their veggies are usually undercooked verging on raw.

10:53 am August 21, 2019 Permalink

Yep. Not a fan.

10:56 am August 21, 2019 Permalink

I do love panera though.

11:15 am August 21, 2019 Permalink

Only been twice when traveling for job. We don’t have one. Main dish was pretty good but not great. The dessert however, was outstanding. Try the banana spring rolls. You’re welcome!

11:47 am August 21, 2019 Permalink

In Louisville, I skip PF Changs and just go to Joy Luck. Joy Luck is local, and their food is soooooo much better.

11:53 am August 21, 2019 Permalink

Asian Wind is the place to go in Lexington.

11:58 am August 21, 2019 Permalink

I’ll keep it in mind for the next time I’m in Lexington.

12. Realme
    10:53 am August 21, 2019 Permalink

The sewage treatment plant is behind Kroger (on Leestown). The whole area often smells horrific.

11:03 am August 21, 2019 Permalink

Ew.

11:08 am August 21, 2019 Permalink

It gets inside Kroger, and there’s nothing they can do about it. Drew and Matt both live in the stink zone unless they’ve moved. I guess they don’t open windows.

11:14 am August 21, 2019 Permalink

Maybe it gives them fond, misty memories of home?

13. Realme
    11:16 am August 21, 2019 Permalink

Last time we went to Cane’s they were so friendly. I was taken aback, forgot there was still a thing called good customer service out there.

11:18 am August 21, 2019 Permalink

Chick-fil-A is the best in that regard. We don’t have Raising Canes. The main chicken tender place here is Zaxby’s.

11:43 am August 21, 2019 Permalink

Cane’s is a lot like Zaxby’s, only better.

11:45 am August 21, 2019 Permalink

Cane’s chicken is better, but Zaxby’s has a lot more variety.

• StillBP
      1:02 pm August 21, 2019 Permalink

I prefer zaxby’s over Canes. So little variety at Canes and that freaking tongue torch sauce at zaxby’s is so good I could drink it lol

14. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    11:22 am August 21, 2019 Permalink

Pizza Hut here has gone exclusively to the Little Caesar’s type stores. No more pitchers of Pepsi, red plastic cups,or Tiffany style (I guess that’s what they were) light fixtures. They do still deliver unlike LC.

15. Realme
    11:24 am August 21, 2019 Permalink

Anybody familiar with Apollo Pizza? We just had one open, haven’t tried it yet. They’re out of Richmond.

11:36 am August 21, 2019 Permalink

Nope. I like Domino’s thin crust; and, their Italian sandwiches are good.

11:39 am August 21, 2019 Permalink

Domino’s jalepeno bacon cheese bread. You’re welcome.

• RealCatsFan
      11:42 am August 21, 2019 Permalink

I generally like thin crust pizza, but the Mrs and I were celebrating our anniversary the other night and could not resist the Mother of All Pizza, Impellizari’s. There is no substitute. 🙂

11:43 am August 21, 2019 Permalink

I don’t know Impellizari’s but I’m pretty sure the mother of all pizza lives in Chicago.

11:45 am August 21, 2019 Permalink

RCF, try Coals Pizza. There are only two, both in Louisville. One is way down Frankfort Ave., but the other is in Middletown. They make thin crust pizza in a big brick oven. It’s delicious.

• RealCatsFan
      12:12 pm August 21, 2019 Permalink

I drive right by the one in Middletown when all my other routes home are all jacked up by traffic. We will have to try it.

• StillBP
      1:00 pm August 21, 2019 Permalink

Late to the party here, but if you see this Realme… I know two ppl who have been to that Apollos and both gave it thumbs down. They said the pizza was just ok and the service was bad. They said they’d give it another try in a few months if it’s still open.

16. Realme
    11:42 am August 21, 2019 Permalink

I’m with Lee. Papa Murphy’s should at least cost less if they don’t have to cook it.

17. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    11:47 am August 21, 2019 Permalink

Putting Firehouse against Cheesecake Factory is like asking someone “What’s your favorite fruit? Apples or pork rinds?” That’s another dumb thing about this bracket. Two totally different restaurants.

18. runningunnin.454
    11:48 am August 21, 2019 Permalink

Went to Chili’s once. Made my wife sick as a dog. I ordered the ribs, and the waiter skulked up behind me to put a rib bib over my head; I twisted his arm 180 degrees…think I scared that young man.
    Don’t sneak up behind me.

11:53 am August 21, 2019 Permalink

Wow!

19. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    11:52 am August 21, 2019 Permalink

We’re getting a Jersey Mike’s and a colleague is excited. What’s different about it?

11:57 am August 21, 2019 Permalink

I don’t know that it’s that different, but they make a nice sandwich. Their bread is made fresh everyday, and they slice your deli meat to order right onto your sandwich.