KSR Show Thread 8/20: Turn on that radio

Good morning, friends, and welcome to the Tuesday edition of Kentucky Sports Radio. Today, the gang will break down Kentucky’s latest football commitment, look ahead to the season, and probably discuss a lot of random stuff.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

73 Comments for KSR Show Thread 8/20: Turn on that radio

1. runningunnin.454
    10:07 am August 20, 2019 Permalink

I am very disappointed in Kyle and Ralph Hacker. Cal can’t predict the future and know which recruits will develop, and leave early…or which recruits will grow impatient, and leave the program.
    He is recruiting 3-4 year players; some develop, some grow impatient.
    And, some schools pay players.

2. Realme
    10:07 am August 20, 2019 Permalink

I don’t have it in me to read 66 comments to see what was already said about the Ralph Hacker comments, so I’ll just do mine here:

Ralph Hacker is alive?!?!?!?

Also, in what way is Cal short changing fans? I didn’t understand his point. By not winning more than one a decade (which is the norm for UKBB)? Okay Cal, just choose to win more then.

• Realme
      10:19 am August 20, 2019 Permalink

Also: MAYBE that’s a bad analogy? To compare Cal to a lazy person who doesn’t put in the work? Cal? Ok, so he’s clearly alive, but he may be going senile.

10:24 am August 20, 2019 Permalink

Cal is probably the hardest working coach out there.

• runningunnin.454
      10:25 am August 20, 2019 Permalink

Same old crap from Mash and his posse. Recruit more 3-4 year players like Virginia, the flavor of the month.
      So, we all knew Bledsoe, Knight, Booker, SGA, Adebayo, Gabriel, Vanderbilt, Humphries, KJ and Herro would leave early.
      And, we all knew Green, SKJ, Baker, Wynyard, and Charles Matthews would transfer.
      Look at next season’s roster…how many will stick around?

• 4everUKblue
      10:29 am August 20, 2019 Permalink

2009–10 Tony Bennett 15–16 5–11 9th
      2010–11 Tony Bennett 16–15 7–9 8th
      2011–12 Tony Bennett 22–10 9–7 4th NCAA First Round
      2012–13 Tony Bennett 23–12 11–7 4th NIT Quarterfinals
      2013–14 Tony Bennett 30–7 16–2 1st NCAA Sweet Sixteen
      2014–15 Tony Bennett 30–4 16–2 1st NCAA Second Round
      2015–16 Tony Bennett 29–8 13–5 2nd NCAA Elite Eight
      2016–17 Tony Bennett 23–11 11–7 T–5th NCAA Second Round
      2017–18 Tony Bennett 31–3 17–1 1st NCAA First Round
      2018–19 Tony Bennett 35–3 16–2 T–1st NCAA Champions
      Tony Bennett: 254–89 (.741) 121–53 (.695)
      Total: 1632–1168–1 (.583)

10:30 am August 20, 2019 Permalink

It’s impossible to predict who will stay or transfer, or who will blow up in one year and go to the NBA. Hacker and Macy, etc. are all of an older generation (and trashburn and VGCat) who just cannot grasp the fact that the game has changed completely. Really good players will never stay 4 years anymore, not at UK and not at any other school. They can whine about 4 year players all they want, but which are the players who are going to be really great in 3-4 years? Some end up really good college players, and some don’t. It’s still a crapshoot.

• RealCatsFan
      10:35 am August 20, 2019 Permalink

If Cal is short-changing the fans, then what do you call what most of the other UK coaches were doing?

Don’t get me wrong – there are things about Cal I would love to see change. I cringed when he talked about the NBA draft being the greatest day in UK history. I sometimes wish he would be more persuasive to some of these kids who make boneheaded decisions to transfer or leave early when the gold ring is right there for them to grab if they will stay and develop another year. I sometimes wish he would develop his bench more and get the walk-ons in the game when we have a huge lead at home. And yes, I wish he would schedule some better home games. But at the end of it all, in the modern era of college basketball, I cannot think of another coach who is built to lead UK basketball like Cal is.

• Realme
      10:38 am August 20, 2019 Permalink

Well said.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:38 am August 20, 2019 Permalink

4ever, don’t forget to asterisk the 17-18 result since they were the 1st 1 to lost to a 16. And they got butt whooped. I remember watching and thinking “Well, several 1’s have come back, so there’s still time”. Then, we get further into the 2nd half, and I think “Could it? Would it?”. Then we get even further, and the Retrievers just keep pulling away, and I’m like “Whoa!”. For all their vaunted defense, they just couldn’t stay in front of that little point guard and it seemed like he just wore them out.

10:41 am August 20, 2019 Permalink

Tony Bennett is a decent regular season coach, but he isn’t a very good tournament coach. Bennett has his system, and doesn’t make adjustments well.

• RealCatsFan
      10:45 am August 20, 2019 Permalink

I like Bennett, and I think he is a good coach. But to coach at Kentucky, it takes a special type of person. It’s like being the football coach at ‘Bama. Pressure like you’ve never seen before.

• 4everUKblue
      11:11 am August 20, 2019 Permalink

I remember CG. Bennett is a decent coach but clearly if Cal recruited like him and had those results there would be a lynch mob waiting outside Cal’s house.

• runningunnin.454
      11:16 am August 20, 2019 Permalink

The tournament is a single elimination crap shoot. The luck was with Bennett, shoot 3 FT’s for the win in the semi.

11:21 am August 20, 2019 Permalink

Bennett wouldn’t have made it past year 4 with that record at UK. He’d have gotten fired.

3. J-Dub421
    10:19 am August 20, 2019 Permalink

We aren’t the only school that recruits one-and-dones. Actually by all metrics, we do better by our one-and-dones (and our players in general) than other programs do.

I also get really sick of this BS sense of fan entitlement. Fans are entitled to absolutely nothing.

• RealCatsFan
      10:49 am August 20, 2019 Permalink

Well, to be fair, they have the right to expect a competitive team, a coach who works hard to make that happen, good clean facilities, a program that is run cleanly, and players who are good, respectable people. But they are not entitled to the program winning titles. And if they don’t like that part of it, they can vote with their feet – and they have in the past.

10:53 am August 20, 2019 Permalink

How long was UK football bad? Yet we’re all still UK football fans.

• RealCatsFan
      11:10 am August 20, 2019 Permalink

J-Dub, yep, I completely agree that UK football fans are some of the most faithful and long-suffering fans out there. But the Vandy game in Joker’s last year is evidence at what can happen when the product on the field (or court) is awful.

11:20 am August 20, 2019 Permalink

True, but as fans we aren’t owed wins, and our lives will go on without them.

4. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:19 am August 20, 2019 Permalink

I tuned in late. What was the gist?

• Realme
      10:20 am August 20, 2019 Permalink

You should probably go read it. It’s a doozy. Couple articles south of here.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:26 am August 20, 2019 Permalink

I just read part of it. It is a tome I will finish on lunch.

5. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:31 am August 20, 2019 Permalink

On a positive note, former UK wide receiver Chris Matthews is the star receiver for YOUR first place Winnipeg Blue Bombers!

They have the same record as the Hamilton Tiger-Cats, but Winnipeg plays in the much tougher west division (only 2 divisions in the CFL). They should be 8-1 instead of 7-2 but they inexplicably took the gas pipe when playing the awful Toronto Argonauts for the Argos only win of the year.

• Realme
      10:33 am August 20, 2019 Permalink

Whoo! Go Bombers! Bomb stuff hard! 🙂

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:35 am August 20, 2019 Permalink

lol

6. runningunnin.454
    10:33 am August 20, 2019 Permalink

“The times, they are a-changin’ AGAIN”. One-and-done will end, and that will present recruiting challenges.
    Cal will once again adapt and lead…and Coach K will again follow.

• RealCatsFan
      11:11 am August 20, 2019 Permalink

Yep, and Count K will get credit for being innovative and able to adapt. 🙂

11:23 am August 20, 2019 Permalink

And then I’ll be angry that they all slobber over K and crap on Cal all over again.

7. Realme
    10:36 am August 20, 2019 Permalink

That guy that calls in with a RH impression is freaking good, btw.

8. RealCatsFan
    10:43 am August 20, 2019 Permalink

Now I am completely on-board with the things Ralph is saying on the radio now. Like I said in my earlier post, some better home games would help the fan interest. And how about that game in Memorial? Maybe use that one for one of the EKU’s or Transy’s? That would be COOL!

• Realme
      10:45 am August 20, 2019 Permalink

Yeah, he’s not saying the same things at all now. Still not sure what he wants Cal to do differently as far as coaching and recruiting.

10:51 am August 20, 2019 Permalink

Everyone focuses so much on the home schedule. There are UK fans all over, and there are quite a few in places like New York and Chicago who look forward to going to that one game each year that comes to their area. Those arenas are always packed and rowdy.

• Realme
      10:54 am August 20, 2019 Permalink

As someone who only goes once or twice a year, I’ll defer to season ticket holders. If they feel short-changed, it’s probably valid.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:56 am August 20, 2019 Permalink

Here is another reminder that Pitino had basically the same philosophy and was criticized for largely playing the marquee teams at neutral sites for recruiting purposes. Ralph may have disagreed then too though.

I’m sorry to be redundant with this, but I remember so vividly when a fan called in to Pitino’s Monday night show and said we needed to keep playing Kansas home and home, and he had a one word reply: “Why?” He saw no recruiting value in going to Lawrence as opposed to The Meadowlands.

9. J-Dub421
    10:44 am August 20, 2019 Permalink

“Maybe you have to recruit one-and-dones now because lots of teams are doing it.” Ralph Hacker. Gee Ralph, you think???

10. RealCatsFan
    10:46 am August 20, 2019 Permalink

Very interesting to hear what Ralph said about Matt being fired. Classy.

• runningunnin.454
      10:52 am August 20, 2019 Permalink

Matt in the Washington Post…the big time. Bigger than ESPN, right?

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:58 am August 20, 2019 Permalink

Although I don’t think Matt should have been surprised, I like what Ralph said. He would be a rare bird indeed if he ignored the Twitter bot mob on the Lee Cruse thing.

• RealCatsFan
      11:13 am August 20, 2019 Permalink

It would be refreshing to see someone take a stand on principle and do the right thing in spite of the media mob.

11. RealCatsFan
    10:53 am August 20, 2019 Permalink

Ralph Hacker running for Senate would be very interesting. I think I could get behind him, no matter what party he runs with.

• Realme
      10:57 am August 20, 2019 Permalink

I’d rather listen to what he has to say than the Turtle, Orangey, or Orangey’s #1 fan.

12. Realme
    10:55 am August 20, 2019 Permalink

Okay caller. We should have 3 championships for the era, by doing it like Virginia, who has 1. Sure.

10:59 am August 20, 2019 Permalink

Woo! Then we could be the first and only #1 seed to lose to a #16 seed!

• Realme
      11:02 am August 20, 2019 Permalink

Yes. SO exciting.

• RealCatsFan
      11:14 am August 20, 2019 Permalink

Like I said before, I like Bennett, and what he has done at Virginia is great. But how would that play at Kentucky? It’s just a different stage, and there are a lot of really good coaches out there who would not be a good fit here.

11:24 am August 20, 2019 Permalink

Virginia plays boring basketball, and our fanbase would never go for it. He’s Tubby Smith 2.0.

13. RealCatsFan
    11:15 am August 20, 2019 Permalink

Another day, another scandal at University Six. I feel a little sorry for Tyra – he probably didn’t realize just how big of a dumpster fire he is trying to put out.

• runningunnin.454
      11:21 am August 20, 2019 Permalink

“You’ll always be a fire I can’t put out”.
      George Strait

11:26 am August 20, 2019 Permalink

At this point, if there’s a coach or administrator at U of L who WASN’T dirty in some way or embezzling, I’d be shocked.

14. RealCatsFan
    11:17 am August 20, 2019 Permalink

Wow, hearing Cawood calling that game just gives me CHILLS. If only Pitino had guarded that inbounds guy!!!

15. J-Dub421
    11:28 am August 20, 2019 Permalink

Funeral homes in Kentucky usually have a kitchen area where people bring in food.

16. runningunnin.454
    11:30 am August 20, 2019 Permalink

Hah, my Great Grandfather served in the Civil War, and passed away in 1915. People went in groups to pay their respects. The first group stood him up in the corner, the 2nd group came in, and many people fainted.
    They sold hot dogs, popcorn, and drinks at the last public hanging in the U.S.; my grandmother attended the execution in Owensboro, and she said it was like a carnival.

• Realme
      11:44 am August 20, 2019 Permalink

Always wondered how people had the stomach to go to hangings for funzies. That story about your GG is epic.

17. J-Dub421
    11:31 am August 20, 2019 Permalink

Hacker said entirely different things on the radio with Matt today, than what he said yesterday with Terry Meiners.

18. RealCatsFan
    11:31 am August 20, 2019 Permalink

Current caller talking about the “good old days fans” makes me think that Billy Joel might have said it best:

“The good old days weren’t always good, and tomorrow ain’t as bad as it seems.” 🙂

11:46 am August 20, 2019 Permalink

Good man, that Billy Joel.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:52 am August 20, 2019 Permalink

LOVE Billy Joel!

19. runningunnin.454
    11:39 am August 20, 2019 Permalink

Do we get a vote? The ’98 Duke game was better.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:46 am August 20, 2019 Permalink

One thing Matt didn’t point out if that not only did Mashburn foul out in 92, but the next year he fouled out against Michigan, and Dale Brown hurt his shoulder diving out of bounds for a loose ball.

11:48 am August 20, 2019 Permalink

Yep, and the foul that took Mash out of that game was bogus.

20. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    11:40 am August 20, 2019 Permalink

Matt, I ALWAYS remember that Woods shot. I remember when he put it up I though “NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!” When it went in I fell to my knees off my couch in disbelief and yelled “YES!!!” I jumped up and started dunking on my apartment rim and thought “WE DID IT!!!”

Then shortly thereafter all I could hear was the Price is Right losing horn.

21. RealCatsFan
    11:40 am August 20, 2019 Permalink

I think some of the hatred for Duke stems from losing that game, but for me having to watch “The Shot” over and over again cemented that hatred, along with the media drooling all over them. And the fact that they get away with cheating over. and over. and over…. Ugh, now I’m mad!

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:45 am August 20, 2019 Permalink

And CL would have been thrown out of that game if he had been a scrub.

11:47 am August 20, 2019 Permalink

You are both right on.

• runningunnin.454
      11:47 am August 20, 2019 Permalink

Sky is blue, grass is green, and dook cheats.

22. RealCatsFan
    11:44 am August 20, 2019 Permalink

Haha, the thought of a pizza place in Harlan getting an order from “Bernie from Vermont” cracks me up.

23. J-Dub421
    11:49 am August 20, 2019 Permalink

If that Dude thinks Ashton Hagans is the worst point guard we ever had, then he clearly doesn’t remember Michael Porter or Saul Smith….

• RealCatsFan
      11:53 am August 20, 2019 Permalink

Saul at least had some athletic ability. He would have been a decent guard at a mid-major program, or even a second tier SEC school. But Porter – seriously? That just shows how far our program had fallen. And we had Mark Coury as our center? Napoleon Dynamite is on the floor!

To all the trolls like Mashburnfan who want to bellyache about Cal, the above is Exhibit A about being careful what you wish for.

• runningunnin.454
      11:55 am August 20, 2019 Permalink

Or Ryan Harrow.

11:58 am August 20, 2019 Permalink

Him too RG. Saul was a good dude and he tried hard, he just wasn’t quite a UK caliber point guard. Porter was terrible. Harrow was talented, but a head case.

24. secrick
    11:54 am August 20, 2019 Permalink

I forgot what team Ralph Hacker coached.