KSR Show Thread, 8/20: Hot mics, Laurel County and more

On today’s edition of Kentucky Sports Radio the radio show, the whole gang is on from four different locations to talk about the latest in sports, including what went down in Cincinnati last night, as well as the spotlight on Laurel County in the second hour.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

Article written by Drew Franklin

49 Comments for KSR Show Thread, 8/20: Hot mics, Laurel County and more

1. ClutchCargo
    9:59 am August 20, 2020 Permalink

I hate it for Thom Brennaman. He also does NFL games, so it’s not just a Reds baseball issue. At least the on-air broadcast team doesn’t travel this season, so he was already in Cincinnati.

• runningunnin.454
      10:02 am August 20, 2020 Permalink

That was so bad the official scorer gave him an error on the play.

• RealCatsFan
      10:06 am August 20, 2020 Permalink

That’s what you call a faux pas (that’s French for F*** Up). I think it warrants a suspension, but firing him goes a bit too far. But maybe I’m wrong.

• ClutchCargo
      10:13 am August 20, 2020 Permalink

I’m sure he’s done for the season, but hopefully he can learn from this and salvage his career.

• runningunnin.454
      10:14 am August 20, 2020 Permalink

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:15 am August 20, 2020 Permalink

I agree. Suspension yes, firing no.

2. RealCatsFan
    10:04 am August 20, 2020 Permalink

#FreeShannonTheDude! 😀

3. RealCatsFan
    10:07 am August 20, 2020 Permalink

So today is showtime for high school fall sports in Kentucky. KHSAA meeting today. I may have to cut to that for a while.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:17 am August 20, 2020 Permalink

Chuck Oliver (host of Southern Sports Tonight) last night said Justin Fields will be walking the streets of Columbus on Friday nights and seeing high school stadium lights and thinking “Can I play?”

• RealCatsFan
      10:27 am August 20, 2020 Permalink

I wish the decision would be made on a sport-by-sport basis. Some sports can probably be done way more safely than others. Obviously, football has a lot of contact and little chance for social distancing, but contact in volleyball is minimal.

• RealCatsFan
      10:39 am August 20, 2020 Permalink

….aaaand, they are having technical issues. They should be on KSR!

• Realme
      10:45 am August 20, 2020 Permalink

I hear ya RCF. It is hard to fathom what I would do next, when I used to think I’d retire from this job, because I really enjoy it and am so well suited to it. At least for me the pressure is off for now. Hope things pick up for your employer.

• Realme
      10:45 am August 20, 2020 Permalink

Wrong reply spot, obvs.

• RealCatsFan
      11:56 am August 20, 2020 Permalink

Looks like KHSAA has voted to move forward with fall sports.

4. RealCatsFan
    10:29 am August 20, 2020 Permalink

I may end up in the same boat – if my current gig ended, I have no idea what my next thing would be.

• RealCatsFan
      10:35 am August 20, 2020 Permalink

Things that would be considered young at the age of 54? How about President of the United States?

• runningunnin.454
      10:45 am August 20, 2020 Permalink

Youngest to become President was Teddy Roosevelt at 42; JFK was the youngest elected at 43. I don’t worry if they’re young; I worry if they’re too old.

• RealCatsFan
      10:53 am August 20, 2020 Permalink

Hence my post, rg. I think BOTH of the candidates this election are too old.

• Realme
      10:58 am August 20, 2020 Permalink

One is half senile, and the other is 3/4 crazy.

• ClutchCargo
      11:05 am August 20, 2020 Permalink

I’m not even sure which is which there, RM. Either way, not a great choice once again.

5. Realme
    10:41 am August 20, 2020 Permalink

Matt is so condescending to those guys. 15% chance is high?

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:44 am August 20, 2020 Permalink

I missed it. Were they talking about the chance of having football?

• Realme
      10:46 am August 20, 2020 Permalink

No of Shannon completing the walk.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:50 am August 20, 2020 Permalink

Oh, gotcha. He is condescending for sure.

I will say this though. I wouldn’t expect Ryan to know all the news they bring up sometimes, especially political since he obviously doesn’t follow that much. But when they say “Let’s talk about such-and-such UK news”, and it was all over KSR (and I assume every other UK sports site) the day before and Ryan says “I haven’t heard about that”, I think “Could you maybe have perused just the HEADLINES of KSR for 10 minutes before going on the air?”

• Realme
      11:09 am August 20, 2020 Permalink

Matt often doesn’t know things that have been reported on the site too, actually.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:26 am August 20, 2020 Permalink

I guess I’ve noticed that too, but not as much I don’t think.

6. ClutchCargo
    10:49 am August 20, 2020 Permalink

Congratulations to Dewayne Peevy on his new gig. I don’t understand those who think it’s such a terrible thing for UK and can’t just be happy for him.

• Realme
      11:00 am August 20, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, UK will be fine. And he’s not one of only 2 guys Cal trusts (with both leaving) like they said yesterday. He has been tight with Robic way longer than he knew Payne and Peevy.

• Realme
      11:00 am August 20, 2020 Permalink

And Peevy deserves this.

• ClutchCargo
      11:03 am August 20, 2020 Permalink

And I’m sure he has no trust in those other coaches and staffers that he hired. How can the KSR guys be so clueless about literally everything other than actual sports? lol

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:27 am August 20, 2020 Permalink

Maybe Peevey comes back as AD when Mitch retires, whenever that is. I don’t know how old Mitch is, but these guys make sick money, so he could retire today if he wants I would guess.

7. Bluehender
    10:57 am August 20, 2020 Permalink

Sounds like Cubelic, being an Auburn alumnus, is just trying to get their attention so THEY don’t overlook us..

• ClutchCargo
      11:00 am August 20, 2020 Permalink

I think he is sincere and isn’t afraid to say what he really thinks. He has been complimentary of our OL in the past when we didn’t have Auburn on the schedule. He would have had no ulterior motive to do that.

• Bluehender
      11:22 am August 20, 2020 Permalink

Clutch, I trust your hunch..

8. ClutchCargo
    10:57 am August 20, 2020 Permalink

I wouldn’t feel bad knowing I would win $1,000 if Shannon fails. Think of it as insurance in case something doesn’t happen that you want to happen. You win either way. That’s the mindset I have at those times when I fill out my NCAA tournament bracket and don’t pick UK to win it all.

9. runningunnin.454
    11:01 am August 20, 2020 Permalink

Depaul doesn’t even have a football team; he can concentrate on basketball which was once good; may be tough to bring back the glory days, though.

• runningunnin.454
      11:15 am August 20, 2020 Permalink

Oops, supposed to be a reply about Peevy. I do remember when Depaul had Dave Corzine and were good; don’t remember George Mikan; but, he was an early NBA pioneer. I think Depaul basketball is on probation.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:29 am August 20, 2020 Permalink

That was a great team with Mark Aguirre. Did he play with Corzine? I don’t remember him if so.

• runningunnin.454
      11:35 am August 20, 2020 Permalink

Forgot Aguirre; don’t think they played together.

10. Realme
    11:07 am August 20, 2020 Permalink

I think Larry did say that on Twitter, now that Matt mentions it.

11. ClutchCargo
    11:10 am August 20, 2020 Permalink

Kitten County has spoken. 🙂

12. ClutchCargo
    11:22 am August 20, 2020 Permalink

There’s some murder talk for ya, Realme. Serial killer got his start at the London hospital.

• RealCatsFan
      11:26 am August 20, 2020 Permalink

Speaking of murder talk, I have now been listening to another set of podcasts about the Bardstown murders. Maybe I have developed a morbid fascination about all of this, but it is pretty interesting, and it gives you somewhat of an inside look at what goes on with law enforcement on cases like this.

• runningunnin.454
      11:50 am August 20, 2020 Permalink

That London story is bizarre; Hamlet, “Murder most foul”.

• Realme
      11:57 am August 20, 2020 Permalink

I hate angel of death stories. So gross and they’re all the same.

13. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    11:32 am August 20, 2020 Permalink

Hey, I forgot to post this earlier so I hope most of you see this. Has anyone else noticed that you can only see the 5 most recent posts when you’re on a phone or tablet? At least that’s the case for me, and it’s not only on browsers where I’m using an ad blocker. When I first noticed it, I tried Chrome (I have iPhone/iPad and no ad blocker on Chrome) and it’s the same. What’s up with that? Did KSR figure out a way to try to force us to use the app? No can do for me on that. From some comments I’ve seen, the ads are worse on the app than on Chrome.

• runningunnin.454
      11:51 am August 20, 2020 Permalink

Don’t know; don’t use a phone or tablet.

• RealCatsFan
      11:55 am August 20, 2020 Permalink

I’m still using Edge for everything with no issues.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:58 am August 20, 2020 Permalink

Edge on PC is fine for me, and iPhone and iPad are as well, as long as it’s only the last 5 posts I want to read on the phone or tablet.