KSR Show Thread 8/19: Back in studio

Good morning, friends, and welcome to the Monday edition of Kentucky Sports Radio. The gang is back in studio after the Blue Lights Across the Bluegrass Summer Tour, and well, they’ve got plenty to talk about. Tune in for some must-hear radio.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

44 Comments for KSR Show Thread 8/19: Back in studio

1. UkChubbs
    10:11 am August 19, 2019 Permalink

RIP hey Kentucky!

2. Realme
    10:14 am August 19, 2019 Permalink

I’m weird, but I like the non-Matt days of Hey Ky better anyways. And he’ll be busy writing the book, so it probably worked out for the best for Matt.

• Realme
      10:17 am August 19, 2019 Permalink

P.S. I don’t think not wanting Matt, who seemed highly likely to become McGrath’s opponent, to have the advantage of criticizing her on a daily news-ish show makes anyone on the McGrath campaign dirty. I say that as someone that finds her incredibly annoying.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:24 am August 19, 2019 Permalink

Agreed. Ryan’s histrionics notwithstanding, what do you find annoying about her? I’ve only seen the one add that KSR posted when she was running before.

• Realme
      10:26 am August 19, 2019 Permalink

It’s probably not even her fault, but her campaign commercials were back to back to back for so many months I just grew to hate her out of annoyance. It was like a normal campaign season times a thousand.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:36 am August 19, 2019 Permalink

I see. Election season is awful with the commercials. Around here, Budget Car Sales seems to always come up with very annoying ads, so I hate them. Haha.

• RealCatsFan
      10:38 am August 19, 2019 Permalink

A year or so ago it was Mike Braun running for Indiana Senate that drove me crazy. I would have considered moving to Indiana just so I could vote against him if the idea of living in that state wasn’t so reprehensible. 🙂

• RealCatsFan
      10:39 am August 19, 2019 Permalink

RE non-political ads, it is the jewelry commercials and the ads for boner medicine that make me change the channel or pull out the ear buds every single time.

• Realme
      10:45 am August 19, 2019 Permalink

McGrath would literally have 3 ads in every commercial break on local tv. I am not exaggerating.

I have a new least fave non political commercial. It’s for Juul (sp?) and it keeps trying to sound like it’s tearfully inspiring that “so and so made the switch” from smoking cigarettes for their nicotine addiction, to vaping for their nicotine addiction.

3. RealCatsFan
    10:15 am August 19, 2019 Permalink

As usual, work got in the way of me hearing all the show. Are they cancelling “Hey Kentucky”?

• Realme
      10:17 am August 19, 2019 Permalink

No, Matt’s removal form the show changed from temporary to permanent on Friday.

• UkChubbs
      10:18 am August 19, 2019 Permalink

Matt is off the show permanently

4. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:21 am August 19, 2019 Permalink

Welcome to politics Matt. I guess he thought it was going to be rainbows and unicorns. He found out it was a gun fight (President Obama said something like that channeling “The Untouchables”).

Sorry, but I don’t believe he got fired for having an opinion. If he wasn’t constantly talking about possibly running (or possibly NOT running!), he’s still be there. Do I believe his possible opponents wanted him fired? Sure. Again, I point MJ to my first paragraph.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:23 am August 19, 2019 Permalink

he’d…

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:35 am August 19, 2019 Permalink

And as I said a couple weeks ago, it’s both parties unfortunately. The establishment in both get behind the person who they either 1) think can win, or, 2) is their establishment person who they HOPE can win (see Jeb Bush in 2016). It often works, but did not work for Jeb in 2016 obviously.

5. RealCatsFan
    10:23 am August 19, 2019 Permalink

If Matt is going to be this vocal about her campaign, and he does not run for Senate, then it’s going to follow him negatively. And it is possible that it damages her campaign enough to ensure that the reign of the Turtle continues. I’m just shaking my head at the ineptitude of the Dem’s in the various races. At this point, I think a solid candidate might have better chances running as an independent!

• Realme
      10:24 am August 19, 2019 Permalink

You run. I’ll vote for you.

• Realme
      10:28 am August 19, 2019 Permalink

You;re so right, btw. He might not be able to beat her if he runs against her, I don’t know, but right now they are definitely weakening her campaign. And the Turtle benefits.

• RackEmWillie
      10:34 am August 19, 2019 Permalink

Mitch is going to win the election, regardless of who his opponent is. If Matt runs as an independent then he’ll just get a smaller percentage of the votes, and McGrath will lose by a larger margin than if he didn’t run or was the candidate.

Turtle won’t get elected when he decides to not run again, not before.

• J-Dub421
      10:43 am August 19, 2019 Permalink

McConnell can’t die soon enough.

• cats646
      10:46 am August 19, 2019 Permalink

Lol, look at j-dub showing off that “anti-hate” liberal spirit. Smh. What a loving person you are.

• Realme
      10:47 am August 19, 2019 Permalink

You’re not wrong, Willie. That’s why this system blows, as Chris went into detail about above.

6. UkChubbs
    10:27 am August 19, 2019 Permalink

Matt hinting at a run as an independent?

• Realme
      10:29 am August 19, 2019 Permalink

I think he probably should. Would give his “I’m looking out for everyday Kentuckians, unlike the parties” argument a lot of credit in my eyes.

• Cincy Cayt
      10:46 am August 19, 2019 Permalink

My first thought is it would just split the Democrat vote and Mitch cleans up even more than he would have normally. On the other hand, if he doesn’t have that D next to his name, then maybe Matt can get some Republicans to vote for him. Amy has no chance to beat Mitch, so if she’s the nominee, then Matt should just run as an independent. May as well.

7. secrick
    10:35 am August 19, 2019 Permalink

Football, Football Football

8. secrick
    10:42 am August 19, 2019 Permalink

Does anyone else but me want Ga tech to beat Clemson next thursday night. For some reason i don’t like Clemson i guess because they are so good.

• Realme
      10:48 am August 19, 2019 Permalink

I don’t want to hate Clemson just because they’re so good, but every time that QB takes his helmet off to wave his long blonde hair around I dislike them a little bit more. I know, I’m petty.

• RealCatsFan
      10:54 am August 19, 2019 Permalink

I just want UGA to win because it would make our conference look better. Also, unless the Cats are playing, I usually pull for the underdog.

Cracking up at RealMe’s description of Clemson’s quarterback! Sounds like something out of Zoolander.

• runningunnin.454
      11:01 am August 19, 2019 Permalink

It’s Georgia Tech, not UGA. A&M and S.Carolina play them. I notice Clemson is going to play Wofford; egad, murder on live TV.

• RealCatsFan
      11:32 am August 19, 2019 Permalink

Oops – well, then I still root for the underdog, although after the way they did all that dirty chop blocking when we played them in the bowl game kind of makes me want to see them get their asses kicked. So I guess it’s a wash for me.

9. Cincy Cayt
    10:44 am August 19, 2019 Permalink

McGrath is such a joke of a politician. Wooden. Can’t deliver any line that isn’t scripted. Lost to Barr in quite a favorable Democrat year. She’s got a good resume but it isn’t going to do the trick by itself. She sounds great on paper. Good concept, terrible execution. If she wins the nomination she’ll lose to Mitch by double-digits. Matt could lose as well but at least he is charismatic and has a shot.

• RealCatsFan
      10:49 am August 19, 2019 Permalink

I actually like Matt and think he has good, earnest intentions to run for office. However, I also think he is too emotional and would have a hard time weathering the storm of running for office. Yes, I’m aware that he has had to face plenty of slings and arrows with what he does now, but it rises to a whole new level when you run for office. You basically either have to be crazy, or you have to have the type of wooden, cyborg like personality of someone like Nick Saban. Or you need to be plain evil like Mitch. 🙂

• J-Dub421
      11:22 am August 19, 2019 Permalink

And the Turtle isn’t wooden?

• runningunnin.454
      11:26 am August 19, 2019 Permalink

Matt doesn’t have a turtle shell.

• RealCatsFan
      11:35 am August 19, 2019 Permalink

Cincy, now that you mention it, after seeing a few politicians lately who make themselves look like absolute morons by blurting out idiotic statements, the idea of a politician who is more “wooden” and “scripted” sounds kind of refreshing.

10. RealCatsFan
    10:46 am August 19, 2019 Permalink

Have they posted up any pictures of Shannon and his p0rn star ‘stache?

• Realme
      10:48 am August 19, 2019 Permalink

I want to see it too.

11. RealCatsFan
    10:52 am August 19, 2019 Permalink

I’m waiting for them to discuss the ridiculous sport coat that Bevin was wearing to the State Fair. It had Trump’s mug printed all over it. He made a point of dropping by the Democratic Party booth just to troll the workers there. So glad that we have so much maturity representing our state.

• Realme
      10:54 am August 19, 2019 Permalink

He is so embarrassing.

• RealCatsFan
      10:54 am August 19, 2019 Permalink

Whoop, here we go…

12. RealCatsFan
    11:29 am August 19, 2019 Permalink

My older daughter was at the State Fair Saturday night. Fortunately she and her friends left before all the fracas broke out, but she texted me that one of her friends said that there was an active shooter and that two people had been shot. Fortunately those reports proved to be false.

• RealCatsFan
      11:30 am August 19, 2019 Permalink

And the video of the cop absolutely whaling on the guy that he had on the ground does not look good to me…