KSR Show Thread 8/17: SEC schedule day, Knox County

Good morning, friends, and welcome to the Monday edition of Kentucky Sports Radio. Ryan’s on vacation this week, so Matt, Drew, and Shannon are ready to catch you up on the latest news, including the SEC schedule drop later today, and turn the spotlight on Knox County. They’ll also preview Shannon’s 50-mile walk later this week. Big day, so tune in.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

79 Comments for KSR Show Thread 8/17: SEC schedule day, Knox County

1. ClutchCargo
    9:57 am August 17, 2020 Permalink

Knott Co is so awesome they get a Day 2?

• ClutchCargo
      10:08 am August 17, 2020 Permalink

nm

2. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:08 am August 17, 2020 Permalink

For those who don’t think politics have anything to do with the football shutdowns:

Hat tip to John Kincade (Atlanta sports talk host and Sunday morning CBS Sportsradio host) for pointing this out.

• RealCatsFan
      10:52 am August 17, 2020 Permalink

Not sure I follow you chris. The article says that the initiative “will include non-partisan education and a deeper understanding of registration, voting and voter suppression.” They also mentioned education about financial literacy, which I think would be very helpful for athletes with professional aspirations in sports. Yeah, Warren has liberal leanings, but as long as they do keep the voter education non-partisan, I don’t see it as a bad thing.

Maybe you are saying that Warren is cancelling the Big 10 season in an effort to defeat Trump. That seems like a reach to me. JMO

10:58 am August 17, 2020 Permalink

If you “read between the lines” at some of his other statements, I don’t believe this will be non-partisan

“The Big Ten announced a league-wide voter registration initiative on Monday, which will include non-partisan education and a deeper understanding of registration, voting and voter suppression.” There is no systemic voter suppression going on. The left wants dead people and illegals to vote, pure and simple. And when votes like that are tossed, they scream about voter suppression. I’m not saying suppression doesn’t happen at all, but it is not systemic and Republican votes get tossed too. For example, I’ve gotten on to a friend of mine who never changed his registration when he moved to a neighboring town (Wetumpka, home of our RB Smoke) because it was inconvenient. I told him his votes could get tossed and he looked at me like I have 2 heads, and I thought oh well.

11:04 am August 17, 2020 Permalink

“Another 2,225 ballots were discarded because there was no signature on the envelope; 1,111 were rejected because the voter moved; and 846 were not accepted because the voter was dead, according to data from Benson’s office.”

11:23 am August 17, 2020 Permalink

And here is just one problem with mass mail in voting:

The thing there is that people have always been allowed to request an absentee ballot if there are health concerns, you’re going to be out of town, etc.

• RealCatsFan
      11:39 am August 17, 2020 Permalink

Not sure why we are worrying about the election anyway. because if trump loses he will just declare an emergency and override the election. 😀 😉

Do I really think that he will refuse to leave the WH and declare himself dictator for life? I hope not, and I think he would bow to pressure from those around him. But it is also a little far fetched to say that “The left wants dead people and illegals to vote, pure and simple”.

11:48 am August 17, 2020 Permalink

Haha.

11:49 am August 17, 2020 Permalink

I’ll chuckle at your humor, but we have to disagree on your last statement. It will all come out in the wash though! Or not.

• RealCatsFan
      12:02 pm August 17, 2020 Permalink

NP chris – it’s always fun bantering with you, even if we have to stoop to politics. 🙂

3. Realme
    10:08 am August 17, 2020 Permalink

If I had a dollar for every time Matt said this is the most important time in the college sports decision timeline, I’d have at least 4 bucks.

4. Laker Cat 18
    10:08 am August 17, 2020 Permalink

RIP to @NotJerryTipton on Twitter. Loved reading his digs at Louisville, Duke, & others around college sports. Hated to hear of his passing this weekend. 52 years old, father of 3 daughters. Prayers for his family.

• ClutchCargo
      10:09 am August 17, 2020 Permalink

I heard him mentioned by Tom Leach a few minutes ago, but didn’t catch what the news was. Hate to hear that.

10:11 am August 17, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, very sad and way too young. I forgot that he had already been “unmasked”, and I had no idea he lived in Bham. I would have tried to buy him dinner when I traveled for my job.

Did anyone hear what happened?

• Realme
      10:13 am August 17, 2020 Permalink

Very sad. He was my favorite.

• RealCatsFan
      10:27 am August 17, 2020 Permalink

He had a wonderful acerbic wit to his posts. Even Jerry Tipton acknowledged him on his passing. 52 is WAY too young. Prayers to his family.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:27 am August 17, 2020 Permalink

A self-proclaimed relative posted that he likely had a heart attack in his sleep. Very sad.

• RealCatsFan
      10:33 am August 17, 2020 Permalink

Well, if you have to begin your journey to the afterlife, starting it peacefully in your sleep is the way to do it.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:35 am August 17, 2020 Permalink

I was thinking the same thing.

• RealCatsFan
      11:52 am August 17, 2020 Permalink

The saddest part for me is hearing about his 3 young daughters who now have to grow up without their daddy. 🙁

5. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:09 am August 17, 2020 Permalink

So do we get Bama and Auburn in consecutive weeks so we can make it a 2 straight clean sweep? 😉

6. ClutchCargo
    10:13 am August 17, 2020 Permalink

Get off the damn phone from Hilton Head, Ryan. It’s anniversary week, somebody’s birthday (I think), and vacation time.

7. runningunnin.454
    10:14 am August 17, 2020 Permalink

Awright, which one of you laughed when he said KSR professionalism? How rude!

• Realme
      10:17 am August 17, 2020 Permalink

Well surely he wasn’t serious.

• RealCatsFan
      10:31 am August 17, 2020 Permalink

I didn’t laugh, but I do have to clean some coffee off my keyboard.

10:47 am August 17, 2020 Permalink

I didn’t actually hear it so my coffee is still in my cup.

8. ClutchCargo
    10:19 am August 17, 2020 Permalink

Man, we could use a Vandy and Missouri start to the season.

• ClutchCargo
      10:22 am August 17, 2020 Permalink

I’m good with an early Bama game, but I feel like the guys are overlooking the fact that we wouldn’t have a tune-up game either.

9. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:19 am August 17, 2020 Permalink

That new QB at Bama has some experience though since Tua was hurt some last year, so he’s not totally green. They also tore up Auburn’s defense with Mac Jones, and it had been SO tough before that game.

• Realme
      10:21 am August 17, 2020 Permalink

I just cannot be intimidated by Mac Jones. All I see in my head is that pimple faced drunk mugshot.

• ClutchCargo
      10:23 am August 17, 2020 Permalink

Agree. Assuming they beat us, Mac Jones won’t be the reason they win.

10:25 am August 17, 2020 Permalink

I hope he plays like that pic looked. I just that as far as I remember, Auburn’s D was the only one that did anything against LSU and played them pretty tough, but they came apart against Bama somehow. Granted, he threw a couple pick 6s that helped Auburn squeak by.

• runningunnin.454
      10:27 am August 17, 2020 Permalink

The sky is blue, and water is wet, and Bama is going to run the ball.

10. RealCatsFan
    10:29 am August 17, 2020 Permalink

Man, I hate the notion that Florida is good again. I really wanted them to suck for several years as penance for The Streak. I was hoping that the Shark Humper would hang around for a while. Can they get Muschump back again?

• ClutchCargo
      10:31 am August 17, 2020 Permalink

It sucks that our window for being good and their window for being bad barely overlapped. Those missed opportunities sting every time I think about them.

10:51 am August 17, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, no kidding. We could easily have won 3 or 4 of the last 5 or something like that.

• ClutchCargo
      10:57 am August 17, 2020 Permalink

Have 11 guys on defense one more play and fall on a fumble, and that’s two wins right there. Sigh…

11:01 am August 17, 2020 Permalink

Just think if we had won in the Swamp when Boom had that TD run in OT where he reversed field. That run would be on such a loop on sites like this, in GIFs on UK fan twitter accounts, etc. It was amazing.

• RealCatsFan
      11:14 am August 17, 2020 Permalink

cg, was that the same year when we got cheated by the shot clock?

11:18 am August 17, 2020 Permalink

Yup.

11. RealCatsFan
    10:30 am August 17, 2020 Permalink

Sounds like Ryan is having his own Season Without Joy. 🙂

12. Laker Cat 18
    10:34 am August 17, 2020 Permalink

Was it Cole Cubelic who projected us 5th overall in the SEC? 3rd in the East?

• Realme
      10:36 am August 17, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, he is a rare one that gives UK credit.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:36 am August 17, 2020 Permalink

That was a big balls projection right there. Got some knockers. I hope he’s right, but I’m kind of a doubter.

• Realme
      10:39 am August 17, 2020 Permalink

Freddie acts like he’s the smartest football mind alive.

10:49 am August 17, 2020 Permalink

I think it’s because Cole looks at the O and D lines more than most writer types since he played in the trenches.

• runningunnin.454
      10:52 am August 17, 2020 Permalink

LC, big balls and knockers? You have a way with words…pithy.

• ClutchCargo
      10:55 am August 17, 2020 Permalink

Is Cole Cubelic going through a transition? I’m so confused. 😉

• runningunnin.454
      11:14 am August 17, 2020 Permalink

Well, reassignment surgery worked for Paul McCartney,

• ClutchCargo
      11:17 am August 17, 2020 Permalink

You misspelled Faul McCartney, rg. :p

• runningunnin.454
      11:28 am August 17, 2020 Permalink

Repeat after me, there was no Faul; Paul did not die…he just became a girl…and shorter.
      BTW, Helen Shapiro had her first hit when she was 14; she’s 17 in that video.
      Paul was in the next studio judging a contest, and the winner of the contest later ran away from home, and became the inspiration for “She’s Leaving Home”.

11:32 am August 17, 2020 Permalink

Little known fact: Helen later became lead singer of the B-52s.

• ClutchCargo
      11:38 am August 17, 2020 Permalink

LOL! I actually had never heard of “Faul” until I read about it in the ST comment section several months ago.

• RealCatsFan
      12:05 pm August 17, 2020 Permalink

Ah, crap, you had to bring up that song! Still a little tough time seeing my firstborn leave the nest.

13. Realme
    10:47 am August 17, 2020 Permalink

What kind of communist doesn’t like Reese’s Cups?

10:50 am August 17, 2020 Permalink

Someone who was made that “You got chocolate in my peanut butter!” or versa vice.

Okay, I know it’s vice versa.

10:51 am August 17, 2020 Permalink

mad

• ClutchCargo
      10:53 am August 17, 2020 Permalink

I’m not really a candy eater, but I would like Reese’s Cups if I did. I guess that makes me a socialist.

• RealCatsFan
      10:57 am August 17, 2020 Permalink

“Communist”? That’s so 1980’s, rm. 🙂

11:06 am August 17, 2020 Permalink

• Realme
      11:07 am August 17, 2020 Permalink

You heard Shannon. Great Americans love them.

• Laker Cat 18
      11:11 am August 17, 2020 Permalink

Matt probably eats Fruit Loops for breakfast. What a softy. Reese’s are the bomb!

• RealCatsFan
      11:12 am August 17, 2020 Permalink

Reese’s are great, but my favorite is still Nestles’ Crunch.

• Realme
      11:21 am August 17, 2020 Permalink

My favorite is whatever is in the vending machine when I get hangry at about 4:00.

11:25 am August 17, 2020 Permalink

Cunch has too much air and less chocolate. I want more chocolate not less.

BTW, did you notice who was in the commercial I linked? I didn’t remember that one but it popped up when I searched YouTube.

11:26 am August 17, 2020 Permalink

I like all darkness levels of chocolate. Some argue about Hershey’s v. Nestle/Cadbury (which is more creamy and a little less dark of course), but I like them both, and I like dark chocolate too. I just don’t like white fake chocolate.

• Realme
      11:30 am August 17, 2020 Permalink

Dark chocolate ruins a lot of mint & chocolate combo opportunities.

• Laker Cat 18
      11:39 am August 17, 2020 Permalink

I love the Cadbury eggs at Easter time. Also love the Reese FastBreak bars…

• ClutchCargo
      11:41 am August 17, 2020 Permalink

I say I don’t really eat candy, but I have recently acquired a terrible addiction to the dark chocolate covered almonds from Kroger. I’m out right now, so I’m going to need to restock. I could happily go the rest of my life with no milk chocolate, though. Way too sweet for me.

• Realme
      11:43 am August 17, 2020 Permalink

I wish I was that way Clutch.

14. RealCatsFan
    11:10 am August 17, 2020 Permalink

Steve Harvey absolutely makes Family Feud. It wouldn’t be nearly as funny without him. I remember when he had his big gaffe at the Miss America pageant. He did the right thing – he owned it, was able to laugh at himself, and moved on. A lot of celebrities and politicians could learn from this.

• Realme
      11:33 am August 17, 2020 Permalink

Totally right. It’s bizarre to me how much unsubtle innuendo is set up by the questions sometimes, but Steve manages to keep it from crossing over into creepy, a la the old Dating Game (I have been listening to a podcast about the Dating Game killer, sheesh).

15. runningunnin.454
    11:51 am August 17, 2020 Permalink

Old people…really? He means people with good taste in music.

16. Laker Cat 18
    12:00 pm August 17, 2020 Permalink

Wife and I are watching Servant on Apple TV+… very weird.