KSR Show Thread 8/12: Lots to talk about

Troy Taormina | USA TODAY Sports

(Troy Taormina / USA TODAY Sports)

Good morning, friends, and welcome to the Wednesday edition of Kentucky Sports Radio. Today, the gang will recap a crazy 24 hours in college football and what it means for Kentucky, Churchill Downs’ decision to close the infield for the Derby, Bruiser Flint, and maybe even Kenton County. I don’t know. I don’t know if we’ll have enough time.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

45 Comments for KSR Show Thread 8/12: Lots to talk about

1. Realme
    10:21 am August 12, 2020 Permalink

Anybody else have the iHeart website refusing to let you listen? I have to listen on my phone because it just keeps saying the stations are not available.

• runningunnin.454
      10:28 am August 12, 2020 Permalink

Don’t know; we have a local “country classics” station that broadcasts the show.

• RealCatsFan
      10:30 am August 12, 2020 Permalink

I just jumped in on iHeart 1080, and it sounds fine.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:46 am August 12, 2020 Permalink

Use WHIR. Much more stable because it doesn’t have constant flash ads: http://us7.maindigitalstream.com/2251/

• Realme
      10:55 am August 12, 2020 Permalink

Thanks, Chris.

2. runningunnin.454
    10:27 am August 12, 2020 Permalink

Trini Lopez also had a hit with “Lemon Tree”; that song was also covered by Peter, Paul, and Mary. Lopez was also an actor; he was in the great, great film, “The Dirty Dozen” with Charles Bronson, Lee Marvin, and Jim Brown.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:50 am August 12, 2020 Permalink

I came across an article about the “lost verses” of “This Land is Your Land” by Woody Guthrie. He and Pete Seeger were even more commie than I knew. One verse is where he decries private property rights when he sees a “No Trespassing” sign at a rich guy’s place and says “This land was made for you and me”. If Woody was alive today I would break down his door and claim half the house and squat. “This land was made for you and me” Woody!!!

And to think we sang that song when I went to Ashland Elementary. Without that verse though. lol

3. Realme
    10:28 am August 12, 2020 Permalink

I was listening to a podcast yesterday that was from March. Highlights:

“I don’t see how you would catch it in a movie theater.”
    “We can’t decide if we should go on this cruise.”
    “What will happen to March Madness?”

Remember when we didn’t know it was going to ruin everything?

• RealCatsFan
      10:34 am August 12, 2020 Permalink

I remember when we were looking forward to fall when it should be mostly over and football season would be cranking up. 🙁

• runningunnin.454
      10:35 am August 12, 2020 Permalink

Did they shut everything down in 1919? The Spanish flu lasted from 1918 to 1920; but, I know the Chicago White Sox threw the 1919 World Series.
      FYI, I read about all this; I don’t actually remember it, believe it or not. Ha ha.

• RealCatsFan
      10:48 am August 12, 2020 Permalink

rg, get your facts straight – it is common knowledge that WWII ended the Spanish flu. 😀

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:51 am August 12, 2020 Permalink

And remember when we hoped this long, hot summer would end it?

• RealCatsFan
      11:02 am August 12, 2020 Permalink

HaHa, you mean the part where it would “miraculously go away”? 😀

4. RealCatsFan
    10:33 am August 12, 2020 Permalink

OMG, I am so SICK of conspiracy theorists thinking that EVERYTHING is a plot by the democrats to keep Trump from getting reelected. Hell, the Turtle came right out and said that his sole mission was to make Obama a one-term president, and you didn’t hear this level of whining. Sometimes $hit just happens. It isn’t always a conspiracy. (actually, it rarely is.)

• Bluehender
      10:38 am August 12, 2020 Permalink

Bingo…

• runningunnin.454
      10:40 am August 12, 2020 Permalink

But, sometimes it is; unless you believe Lee Harvey did the shooting from that book warehouse. Every president says he is going to declassify everything about that…but, then, they never do.

• RealCatsFan
      10:46 am August 12, 2020 Permalink

rg, to me it’s not that much of a stretch to think that there were others involved with Kennedy’s assassination. He had plenty of enemies, both domestic and international. But it’s a lot more of a stretch to think that the COVID virus was a worldwide plot orchestrated against Trump.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:47 am August 12, 2020 Permalink

Have you ever been to the Kennedy assassination site in Dallas? There is a guy on the sidewalk there almost daily with a setup insisting it was an inside job. Like he’s dedicated his life to it. I talked to him for a long time when I was there a few years back. He brought up some very interesting and questionable points.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:54 am August 12, 2020 Permalink

Everything isn’t a conspiracy, but that doesn’t mean folks aren’t trying to prolong this thing to hurt Trump. Same with letting the riots go. Don’t believe it? These are the same people that believe in abortion, even up to 9 months. What’s the difference? An unborn baby is a person, same as George Floyd, same as the police officers that have gotten killed and injured in the riots.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:54 am August 12, 2020 Permalink

I’m not saying that’s the case with the college presidents. I’m talking about politicians.

5. Laker Cat 18
    10:39 am August 12, 2020 Permalink

Let’s face it, the Pac 12 isn’t a Power 5 conference. They’re a mid-major now.

6. RealCatsFan
    10:43 am August 12, 2020 Permalink

I think we will have basketball, but I think having fans in attendance will be unlikely.

Even if a vaccine were available today, it would still take a while to get everyone inoculated, and you would still have some percentage of the population who opt out. So this thing will still be going for a while even after that. And if it mutates every year like other coronaviruses, we will have to come up with a slightly different vaccine every year or so to target the new strain.

7. Realme
    10:45 am August 12, 2020 Permalink

Matt (pronunciation idiot) Lectures Others About How To Pronounce Things is a weird segment.

• ClutchCargo
      10:50 am August 12, 2020 Permalink

I’m not listening today. Have they talked about Kitten County at all?

• Realme
      10:56 am August 12, 2020 Permalink

Not yet. 🙂

8. runningunnin.454
    10:50 am August 12, 2020 Permalink

Yup, the twinsnewtrend guys I posted yesterday put Phil Collins back in the top three. I saw them being interviewed by Dana Perino on Fox News; they were also on CNN.

• Bluehender
      11:03 am August 12, 2020 Permalink

Adult contemporary stations have never stopped playing that song since the day it came out. Plus, Prince’s song, When Doves Cry. They play it everyday, I’m so sick of it..

• RealCatsFan
      11:23 am August 12, 2020 Permalink

I have never been much of a fan of that song, or most of Phil Collins’ solo stuff. I did like some of the earlier Genesis songs that he was involved with, but when he went solo pop, it never appealed to me that much.

• runningunnin.454
      11:32 am August 12, 2020 Permalink

I have to admire a drummer that sings lead, though; that has to be tough. Like Collins, Peter Criss, Mickey Dolenz, Karen Carpenter, and Levon Helm.

• RealCatsFan
      11:42 am August 12, 2020 Permalink

I read on wiki that they started using a drum machine so Collins could focus more on vocals. Oh, the horror!

But yeah, I am impressed by any musician who can sing while simultaneously playing an instrument.

Drummers that sing – Don Henley was another one. Can anyone think of any others? Ringo Starr?

• runningunnin.454
      11:46 am August 12, 2020 Permalink

Roger Taylor of Queen, Buddy Miles.

9. RealCatsFan
    10:50 am August 12, 2020 Permalink

It seems like there must be about 173 videos of young black guys listening to old white dude dinosaur music. 🙂

• RealCatsFan
      10:51 am August 12, 2020 Permalink

It might be more entertaining to film the reaction of old codgers like me listening to modern rap music. 😉

• runningunnin.454
      11:04 am August 12, 2020 Permalink

Might as well face it, we’re old white dude dinosaurs; thank God for Sirius-XM. BTW, the DJ on the Beatles channel, Meg Griffin, is in the Rock and Roll HOF.

10. Laker Cat 18
    10:55 am August 12, 2020 Permalink

I wonder how Matt’s 21st cousin Morgan Wallen is doing today?

11. RealCatsFan
    11:16 am August 12, 2020 Permalink

Say “aye” if you think ventriloquist dolls are creepy.

Aye!

• runningunnin.454
      11:20 am August 12, 2020 Permalink

Did you see the film “Magic” with a young Anthony Hopkins? That was creepy…all except for Ann-Margret.

• ClutchCargo
      11:21 am August 12, 2020 Permalink

Aye!

But what does that make ventriloquists?

12. RealCatsFan
    11:25 am August 12, 2020 Permalink

Wow, we are talking about Christmas songs now? My favorite version of “Santa Clause is Coming to Town” is the one done by Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band. Good stuff.

13. RealCatsFan
    11:38 am August 12, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, the fact that they are going to have fans at the Derby is demonstrative of how much pull the horse industry has around here. Apparently the people running the Street Rod Nationals threatened to move the show elsewhere if they canceled it, so they threw their weight around as well. But most of that was outside.

14. runningunnin.454
    11:54 am August 12, 2020 Permalink

Soldiers overseas miss their families, too.
    Cry, Cry Babies.