KSR Show Thread 8/11: Will College Football Stay Alive?

Photo via Michigan Athletics

Photo via Michigan Athletics

Over the next two hours we may learn what the Big Ten and Pac-12 will do about college football this fall. Matt Jones, Drew Franklin and Shannon the Dude will discuss all of the late-breaking developments and take some time to shine a light on Kenton County during Tuesday’s edition of Kentucky Sports Radio.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

69 Comments for KSR Show Thread 8/11: Will College Football Stay Alive?

1. runningunnin.454
    9:59 am August 11, 2020 Permalink

Cal, Better call Orlando; and, I don’t mean Tubby.

• ClutchCargo
      10:08 am August 11, 2020 Permalink

Tony? I didn’t know he coached basketball. πŸ™‚

• RealCatsFan
      10:12 am August 11, 2020 Permalink

I am starting to wonder if Cal really cares all that much anymore. Seems to have lost the fire he had years ago, at least to me.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:17 am August 11, 2020 Permalink

Haha! I saw Tony Orlando & Dawn at the Lexington Lion’s Bluegrass Fair when we still lived in Lexington! They may have been bubble gummish, but I liked them.

• runningunnin.454
      10:18 am August 11, 2020 Permalink

Clutch, maybe Tony could recruit Dawn…I think they have some eligibility left.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:19 am August 11, 2020 Permalink

As I said yesterday, I don’t believe Anitgua is hired. This is a rerun, and I posted it on the other thread too, but if he was actually the stud recruiter we’re lead to believe, why would Cal not have brought him back already? He hired Barbee, and one of the huge knocks against Barbee at Auburn was that he was a horrible PR guy (and that HAD to be a negative effect on recruiting). I believe Antiqua is viewed as damaged goods at this point. I could be wrong, and I hope he’s hired if he was innocent.

Also, in all fairness, maybe Barbee learned from the AU experience and has improved in that area. I guess you would HAVE to improve your marketing skills at least a little working for Cal.

• Realme
      10:22 am August 11, 2020 Permalink

It’s been too long since our coaching staff was swaggery and Flint is not going to fix that.

• runningunnin.454
      10:24 am August 11, 2020 Permalink

I think his brother caused all of Antigua’s problems at South Florida.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:28 am August 11, 2020 Permalink

I hope you’re right RG.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:00 am August 11, 2020 Permalink

Anyway, as I also said on the KP to NYC post, good luck to him.

However, hopefully one of the perks they’re giving him is 24/7 security since their commie anti-police mayor is throwing his good citizens to the wolves and turned NYC into a crime infested crap hole again. Unfortunately for those good citizens, Rudy Giuliani is not walking through that door.

• RealCatsFan
      11:06 am August 11, 2020 Permalink

So if Dawn was a plumber, would you see the crack of Dawn? πŸ™‚

2. Laker Cat 18
    10:05 am August 11, 2020 Permalink

So long KP, until we meet again!

3. RealCatsFan
    10:10 am August 11, 2020 Permalink

The blows just keep on coming. πŸ™

• Realme
      10:21 am August 11, 2020 Permalink

2020! *%##*

4. Laker Cat 18
    10:15 am August 11, 2020 Permalink

I wonder of KP expected something similar to what Vince Morrow received and that didn’t happen. Was there even negotiation on UK’s part?

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:21 am August 11, 2020 Permalink

I don’t know why you wouldn’t take care of Payne if he was that valuable when we’ve been a bball power for all these years. Who knows? *insert shoulder shrug emoji here*

5. runningunnin.454
    10:21 am August 11, 2020 Permalink

If he can’t get the Big O, Cal maybe could get Bill Bayno; he was Cal’s assistant at UMass who recruited Marcus Camby, and he had some success with UNLV and Loyola Marymount. I think he’s an assistant in the NBA.

6. RealCatsFan
    10:26 am August 11, 2020 Permalink

Sorry, but I’m pretty “meh” on Bruiser Flint. (Unless he’s going to be a “rassler” for us.)

7. Laker Cat 18
    10:27 am August 11, 2020 Permalink

The President was on Clay Travis’ show this morning. I thought it was a very good interview. I wonder if Matt could get the President on his show? LOL

• Realme
      10:42 am August 11, 2020 Permalink

Matt so jealous I bet.

• RealCatsFan
      10:51 am August 11, 2020 Permalink

But can he get “The Turtle” on his show? And make him mad? πŸ˜€

8. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:27 am August 11, 2020 Permalink

BTW, I’m repeating myself…again…here, but there ain’t NO WAY I believe they’ll play in the spring. Gimme a break! Two seasons in nine months? Pfffttt!!! Plus, if the SEC and anyone else plays this fall, too bad for anyone if they actually DO play in the spring! No championship for you!!!

9. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:31 am August 11, 2020 Permalink

I just messaged Matt & tweeted Shannon that they should play this song:

10. Realme
    10:36 am August 11, 2020 Permalink

I’m not going to complain about work, it’s good to be back (but 8 hours?). However I will say Matt is getting on my nerves more today, lol.

• RealCatsFan
      10:38 am August 11, 2020 Permalink

I think Matt may be getting on our nerves because he literally has ZERO good news to talk about. It is what it is, as 45 says. πŸ™‚

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:42 am August 11, 2020 Permalink

Haha. The REAL Realme is back.

• Realme
      10:48 am August 11, 2020 Permalink

πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

• runningunnin.454
      10:49 am August 11, 2020 Permalink

Rm survived! I know what it’s like to be off for a 2 week vacation; I can only imagine what yesterday was like for you.

• Realme
      10:53 am August 11, 2020 Permalink

I woke up the night before at 3:00 and barfed. And it totally fried my brain to think so much, but otherwise it was about the same as coming back from vaca.

• ClutchCargo
      11:34 am August 11, 2020 Permalink

Think of it as a first world problem, Realme. πŸ™‚

11. RealCatsFan
    10:36 am August 11, 2020 Permalink

I always though that Bob Dylan sounds like he is singing through his nose. Bruce Springsteen does too, sometimes. (Although I love his music.) πŸ™‚

12. Laker Cat 18
    10:38 am August 11, 2020 Permalink

If the “Pay to Play” theory doesn’t happen now, today, during the pandemic….It’s not happening. I don’t understand what else there is to discuss. This is the tipping point.

13. Laker Cat 18
    10:49 am August 11, 2020 Permalink

Is there anyone who rides the waves of a family member more than Matt does Morgan Wallen? Make sure the folks in the back know you’re related…

• Realme
      10:54 am August 11, 2020 Permalink

Pretty sure he just let Shannon call him Morgan Wallace too.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:01 am August 11, 2020 Permalink

Who’s Morgan Wallen?

• Laker Cat 18
      11:06 am August 11, 2020 Permalink

I wonder of Wallen goes around telling people he is Matt Jones’ cousin?

• Realme
      11:07 am August 11, 2020 Permalink

He’s Matt’s country singer “cousin”.

• ClutchCargo
      11:38 am August 11, 2020 Permalink

I don’t remember exactly, but doesn’t Matt and/or Drew really hate Florida Georgia Line? Morgan Wallen is pretty much a solo version of them. I think he may have even written some of their hits.

14. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:50 am August 11, 2020 Permalink

BTW, there was something weird to me on the WHIR news update at the top of the hour. They said Pat Dye was diagnosed with Covid, but Dye passed away on June 1. I don’t know if it was a glitch and they ran an old update or if someone there dropped the ball.

Tyler, if you read this, I know you’re from Dan-Vegas, so you might want to let them know. πŸ™‚

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:31 am August 11, 2020 Permalink

Okay, yeah, someone at WHIR fell asleep on the control board. They repeated the Dye story and the guy said “That’s the news for this Friday”. lol

15. RealCatsFan
    10:51 am August 11, 2020 Permalink

So will UK students end up on Double Secret Probation if they violate the social distancing “honor code”?

• RealCatsFan
      10:53 am August 11, 2020 Permalink

OMG – UGA said “hold my beer”! πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€

16. Laker Cat 18
    10:59 am August 11, 2020 Permalink

Does Andy’s recommendation of no in-person schooling until September 28th officially halt the fall high school football season?

• RealCatsFan
      11:03 am August 11, 2020 Permalink

I posted elsewhere that I heard on the radio that he is less concerned about athletics because they are not in an enclosed environment for 6 hours a day like they are at school. I hope we will have fall sports, but I’m sure not counting on it. Might try to find a fall sand volleyball league for my kid to play in.

17. RealCatsFan
    10:59 am August 11, 2020 Permalink

I’m listening to the ad for the doggy DNA tests – I would love to know what mix of breeds our dog has in her. Pretty sure some of it would be American Saddle Bred. πŸ™‚

• Realme
      11:04 am August 11, 2020 Permalink

Speaking of huge dogs, I miss BP. And Jdub. Maybe saying their names will summon them?

• RealCatsFan
      11:07 am August 11, 2020 Permalink

I think that only works for a few select KSR posters (not naming any names. πŸ™‚ )

• RealCatsFan
      11:08 am August 11, 2020 Permalink

Friend of mine has TWO great danes. One of them snatched a whole pack of bratwursts and inhaled them the other day. #talldogproblems πŸ™‚

• ClutchCargo
      11:44 am August 11, 2020 Permalink

My wife and I have thought about having our mixed breed dog DNA tested. But that’s a lot of money, and I would be pissed if it just came back that she’s mixed breed. But I’m almost curious enough to do it anyway. She came to us from someone who took her in as a stray and couldn’t find the owner despite her best efforts. There is another dog in my neighborhood that appears to be the same mix of Shih Tzu/whatever else and is about the same age. I’m REALLY curious if they are actually related, but that test wouldn’t really tell us that.

• ClutchCargo
      11:50 am August 11, 2020 Permalink

I can’t imagine the amount of poop to pick up in the yard with multiple GD’s. ???

• ClutchCargo
      11:52 am August 11, 2020 Permalink

So of course the poop emoji just shows up as a ? on here.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:58 am August 11, 2020 Permalink

When we had 2 goldens and a foster who appeared to be a great dane/lab mix, I felt like I was cleaning a cow pasture every Saturday. Three great danes would be like cleaning a cow pasture every day.

18. RealCatsFan
    11:39 am August 11, 2020 Permalink

There is major corruption in Bardstown that goes pretty high up in local politics from what I have read and heard. Hope the FBI gets to the bottom of it soon.

• RealCatsFan
      11:40 am August 11, 2020 Permalink

And the fact that none of the locals want to talk about it speaks volumes. Sounds almost like a movie plot.

• ClutchCargo
      11:49 am August 11, 2020 Permalink

I just realized the other night when watching the news story, that the Sheriff’s Dept detective who was originally investigating this was my instructor for the CCDW class I took there. Weird wild stuff.