KSR Show Thread 7/9: An Achy Breaky Trip to Greenup County

The KSR County Tour is going to Greenup County Thursday morning, which means Shannon The Dude will be playing tunes all morning long from Flatwood’s finest, Billy Ray Cyrus. When they aren’t talking about the county in northeast Kentucky, Matt Jones and Drew Franklin will discuss the not so good news about coronavirus and college football this fall.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

81 Comments for KSR Show Thread 7/9: An Achy Breaky Trip to Greenup County

1. ClutchCargo
    9:55 am July 9, 2020 Permalink

It never dawned on me until just now that young Billy Ray Cyrus looks like he could be related to Boyd Crowder from Justified. lol

• Laker Cat 18
      10:12 am July 9, 2020 Permalink

Top 5 show in my opinion!

10:20 am July 9, 2020 Permalink

That may be one of the most glorious mullets in history. 😀

11:07 am July 9, 2020 Permalink

I’m really enjoying watching Justified, and I’m hooked, but I don’t know that it would rate top 5 for me. Really good but not great, imho. At this point, I’ve invested too much time to quit watching and kind of just need to see how it all wraps up.

2. runningunnin.454
    9:56 am July 9, 2020 Permalink

This guy mad…can’t say I blame him,

10:02 am July 9, 2020 Permalink

He’s also 100% right. It’s BS to go and schedule two other C-USA teams when you have WKU just down the road, and could have kept that money in-state.

10:04 am July 9, 2020 Permalink

Dammit, rg, now I’m kind of fired up as well. lol

• Realme
      10:09 am July 9, 2020 Permalink

I agree with people who said we should do the Western game they asked for, but… they probably already had agreements going with the other teams when WKU made the tweet. They’re not entitled to being on our schedule just because they’re in the same state, and also I don’t really care.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:13 am July 9, 2020 Permalink

Kentucky doesn’t gain anything by playing WKU. They have everything to lose. It seems the Hilltoppers have grown a pair overnight.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:21 am July 9, 2020 Permalink

Hey Stansbury, don’t make Cal pull the Little Brother #2 card!!! Haha.

10:24 am July 9, 2020 Permalink

Look at it from WKU’s perspective. They have been working to grow their program and become a respected Div I program, and they can’t get any major programs to schedule them because they “have nothing to gain”. From the fan perspective, I think it would be a great game. Right now they have the bragging rights, I believe, because they beat us in Football several years ago under Neckbrace Bobby.

Their volleyball team gave us all we wanted in the NCAA Tournament a couple years ago.

10:24 am July 9, 2020 Permalink

I agree that we don’t owe WKU anything, but it would be a much more interesting matchup than the teams we scheduled, whose names I have already forgotten. Also, I kinda want to hear Stansbury talk in his squeaky/hoarse voice about how his team just got their butts kicked by UK.

• runningunnin.454
      10:29 am July 9, 2020 Permalink

I can understand playing UAB; we need to establish a winning record against them, and get some revenge for an ncaa tournament loss, but we have nothing to gain by playing Marshall.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:35 am July 9, 2020 Permalink

Two losses RG. They beat us in the early 80s (1980?) and also beat the Tubby team.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:43 am July 9, 2020 Permalink

My thing is this…WKU is trying to reel in the Derek Willis’, Darius Miller’s, Dominique Hawkins’, etc… We don’t really compete with Marshall or UAB out of state teams for those guys. The best players in the state that may not be 5 star recruits are the guys the Toppers are trying to pull in. Say what you want, those homegrown, multi-year guys are the glue for us.

3. Realme
    10:10 am July 9, 2020 Permalink

What do you think Andy’s going to have to say today?

10:19 am July 9, 2020 Permalink

Pretty sure that mandatory mask usage in public will be front and center.

We were planning a graduation party for my senior daughter the weekend after this coming one. We had intentionally pushed it back a little in the hopes that the COVID thing would have died off some with the summer heat. Well so much for that logic! Now we are actually on the fence on whether to have it. We wanted to make most of it outside to cut down on the chance of anyone spreading / catching anything, but of course now it sounds like it is going to be hellishly hot. We are going to make a final decision tonight or tomorrow. Sucks for my kid, and sucks for us.

• Realme
      10:52 am July 9, 2020 Permalink

Do it outside in the evening after the sun is calmer? That’s what my girlfriends and I did last month and will again this month.

10:54 am July 9, 2020 Permalink

Yes, even on the really hot days, the evenings haven’t been bad at all once the sun goes down a little.

11:26 am July 9, 2020 Permalink

We are doing on a Sunday afternoon, but might have to rethink that one.

4. runningunnin.454
    10:10 am July 9, 2020 Permalink

Over the years, when I meet a girl named Renee, and she turns to walk away, I say..well, just walk away, Renee. The last several years, the girls just turn with a quizzical look on their faces; the older gals say something like, “Oh Boy, I never heard that one before”…snort, snort.
    The song was written by the 16 y/o keyboard player, and spent 13 weeks on the Billboard 100, peaking at No. 5. One reason is few songs in the mid ’60’s featured a flute solo, harpsichord, and a string orchestra. Another is Steve Caro’s beautiful, haunting voice; he passed away this past January; but, his voice will live forever.

12:03 pm July 9, 2020 Permalink

I have heard the song many times, but didn’t know the artist. The Beatles haircuts were big back then, right? 😉

5. Laker Cat 18
    10:19 am July 9, 2020 Permalink

SPOILER! I watched the first 2 episodes of Unsolved Mysteries last night.

Ep 1 – The dude was murdered and his best friend knows something. Too much of the story doesn’t make sense for it to be a suicide. Financial motives almost certain with the line of work he was in.

Ep 2 – Her husband is nuts. With that being said, I don’t think he did it. I think it was a random killing. I think it could possibly be the guy who admitted to it and later recanted.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:22 am July 9, 2020 Permalink

I heard it just isn’t the same without the melodramatic presence of Robert Stack.

• Realme
      10:26 am July 9, 2020 Permalink

I didn’t find any of the episodes all that mysterious, but it was a fun watch. Episode 5 is a fun one, because it’s aliens instead of death/disappearance.

I was scrolling through Netflix last night, and was reminded of two great shows I don’t think I’ve mentioned. Dark Tourist, extremely interesting docuseries. Wanted, a drama about two women who witness a crime and have their lives turned upside down.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:34 am July 9, 2020 Permalink

It’s definitely not as dramatic without Stack, but the show itself is just as good as it used to be.

6. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:20 am July 9, 2020 Permalink

I’m tired of people like Matt denigrating people over the mask issue when a large part of the blame lies with Fauci, the Surgeon General, and the corrupt organizations the CDC and WHO for sending mixed messages. I still maintain the debate would not be as contentious as it is if it weren’t for them. I know some won’t wear a mask no matter what, but come on man.

10:25 am July 9, 2020 Permalink

cg, what are your sources that say that Fauci, the SG, the CDC and the WHO are all “corrupt”? Just wondering.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:38 am July 9, 2020 Permalink

The WHO covered for China in the beginning of the pandemic:

The CDC has gotten involved in the gun issue over the years and it is not a disease issue.

I don’t know if Fauci is corrupt and I didn’t say that, but I do wonder. Either way, he and the Surgeon General (Adams?) said (and I’ve pointed this out many times) in the beginning do NOT wear a mask and were emphatic about it, especially the SG. They said it is BAD to wear one and the SG said you are more likely to get sick, not less. Then they claimed new data. I’m skeptical.

11:30 am July 9, 2020 Permalink

I can’t blame you for being a little skeptical. My opinion is that our knowledge about the virus is constantly evolving, it is an unknown entity, and the approaches to dealing with it are going to change as we go forward and learn more about it. I personally don’t think they changed positions on mask usage simply as a political statement – rather, I think additional info became available that changed their approach on this. JMO, of course. 🙂

• catdaddyd
      7:08 pm July 9, 2020 Permalink

The WHO is corrupt ,that’s obvious. I’ve heard that Fauci and Obama got financing to the lab that the virus came from. The governing powers that be, said no more money for biological warfare. But the 2 of them found a way around that. Not a plane full of cash, but by other means.

7. Realme
    10:22 am July 9, 2020 Permalink

I actually find mask wearing to be torture. After a few minutes in the store, I am in a full head to toe sweat. By the time I’m back outside I am gasping for air and weak kneed. No idea if it’s physical or psychological, but everyone that just pooh poohs or worse, judges people who aren’t thrilled about wearing them can kiss my ass.

• runningunnin.454
      10:27 am July 9, 2020 Permalink

It’s called claustrophobia, it’s real, and I appreciate your response, ha ha.

10:29 am July 9, 2020 Permalink

I’m not crazy about them either. I find the cloth masks to be WAY more tolerable than the formed P95 style masks. So if you are not wearing a cloth mask, try one. It’s probably a bit of a claustrophobia thing – we deal with the same thing from CPAP patients. The mask makes them feel like they are suffocating, even though they are getting more airflow than they would get just free breathing.

It sucks, but I feel like it’s a necessary evil in a public place right now. Just hoping that a viable vaccine is around the corner so that someday we can resume some form of normalcy.

• Realme
      10:31 am July 9, 2020 Permalink

Well add the CPAP machine to the list. Amazing that you guys can make my inability to use one make sense when almost a year of having a sleep doctor couldn’t.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:40 am July 9, 2020 Permalink

P95 or N95?

10:45 am July 9, 2020 Permalink

Oops – N95. Kind of like Michael Keaton said – 220, 221, whatever it takes… 🙂

10:47 am July 9, 2020 Permalink

RM, wish I could do a side chat with you about the CPAP thing. That’s what I do all day long – help people find a solution for CPAP therapy. And the right mask makes all the difference in the world.

10:49 am July 9, 2020 Permalink

I wear one of those form-fitting cloth masks when I go into a store, and it gets pretty miserable after a short time in hot weather.

• Realme
      10:51 am July 9, 2020 Permalink

OMG I had a brief freakout when I had an egd a couple years ago when they put the mask on. Luckily I went under before I could start flailing and acting crazy. You guys have totally explained me to me today.

10:58 am July 9, 2020 Permalink

RM, if you are using one of the older bulky mask designs that have a support pad up on the forehead, there are a lot of smaller, lighter designs out there that don’t use that pad anymore. You might check into one of these if you are not already using one. I can give some specific suggestions if you need.

• Realme
      11:01 am July 9, 2020 Permalink

Thanks, RCF. Sorry in advance for boring anyone else that reads this. I tried all the mask styles, and toughed it out for 9-10 months lying awake with the thing on long enough to get the 4 hours to meet insurance requirements and getting whatever sleep I could later. It got worse over time. The damn sleep doctor just wanted to chat about books, offer no help and charge me $60 bucks. I sleep on a wedge pillow now, and I think that helps just enough. I was barely over the line for a sleep apnea diagnosis to begin with.

11:10 am July 9, 2020 Permalink

Sounds like you already tried the nasal pillows systems then. Yeah, if you have mild OSA, just staying off your back and sleeping on your side or stomach might be enough to prevent it. I am sure that I would have OSA if I slept on my back.

• Realme
      11:16 am July 9, 2020 Permalink

Wedge pillow also helps with acid reflux. Plus, it makes lying flat feel wild, like your head is going downhill even though it’s not.

• catdaddyd
      7:11 pm July 9, 2020 Permalink

I try to get in and out of stores in 20 minutes or less. I’ve heard hand sanitizer is good for 30 minutes after use.

8. runningunnin.454
    10:41 am July 9, 2020 Permalink

I appreciate when the Justices rule in contrast to their political appointment. An African-American judge ruled against Baltimore’s prosecution of the police officers involved in the Freddie Gray death.
    Gives me hope that the institution is fair, and not driven by politics.

10:45 am July 9, 2020 Permalink

Perhaps the last bastion of true civil servants?

10:52 am July 9, 2020 Permalink

They are really the only ones within the 3 branches of government who don’t have to worry about re-election/re-appointment. I suppose if it wasn’t for the concept of career politician, Congress should be the same way.

10:59 am July 9, 2020 Permalink

Clutch, that’s where term limits would really help. Along with campaign finance reform. But the snakes and alligators don’t want their swamp drained.

11:13 am July 9, 2020 Permalink

Term limits would definitely help, but I’m not holding my breath for that one. After all, the people who would have to vote on it have the conflicting interest of trying to hold onto their power. Politicians can talk about it in their political ads all they want, but it ain’t happening.

11:24 am July 9, 2020 Permalink

We came pretty close to having some actual campaign finance reform back in the 90’s, but our boy Mitch The Turtle shot it down.

9. RealCatsFan
    10:51 am July 9, 2020 Permalink

People just can’t get it through their heads that if you post ANYTHING on social media, it is going to find its way around the world eventually. My kids included.

• Laker Cat 18
      11:14 am July 9, 2020 Permalink

We coach our high school players social media etiquette in regards to recruitment possibilities. Unfortunately, some abide and some don’t. General rule, you can’t erase social media. Just because you delete, doesn’t mean it’s gone.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:25 am July 9, 2020 Permalink

Tell them to post on KSR only and to tell no one their screen name. lol

10. RealCatsFan
    10:53 am July 9, 2020 Permalink

Did Matt allude that Harold is having health issues? If so, that is going to bum me out. Harold is one of my favorite callers.

• Realme
      11:03 am July 9, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, sounds like it.

11. Realme
    11:04 am July 9, 2020 Permalink

In other cheery news, my work has finally started letting people go. Made the cut so far. Yay?

11:14 am July 9, 2020 Permalink

The hits just keep coming. Stupid 2020.

11:23 am July 9, 2020 Permalink

I’m getting very worried about my job as well, RM, so you have company. 2020 just keeps sucking more and more.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:26 am July 9, 2020 Permalink

Someone I know in management at IBM told me he just had to let 7 people go. I don’t know how many people work under him.

• Realme
      11:27 am July 9, 2020 Permalink

RCF, hope you don’t get any bad news either. You know what we all need?

Some of that UK football.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:28 am July 9, 2020 Permalink

I hope you keep your job Realme. We’ve been blessed that neither of us lost ours, but my wife wasn’t working for a while because there was so much fear of Covid overrunning the hospital, but that was only for a month or so.

• Realme
      11:37 am July 9, 2020 Permalink

Thanks! I know I am blessed. I feel sad for those who got the bad email.

12. ClutchCargo
    11:19 am July 9, 2020 Permalink

Remember Mike Scott, who played basketball at UK back in the 80’s? I used to think he looked just like a giant Roy Orbison, without glasses.

11:19 am July 9, 2020 Permalink

^ from Greenup County.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:25 am July 9, 2020 Permalink

I remember him. He had supposedly played well at times at Wake Forest but didn’t do much at UK. Sorry Mike if you’re reading this. Nothing personal.

• runningunnin.454
      11:26 am July 9, 2020 Permalink

While on tour with the Beatles in ’63, Orbison left his regular glasses on the plane, so he put on his prescription sunglasses…and it became his trademark.

11:38 am July 9, 2020 Permalink

I used to think that Saul Smith resembled Prince. Maybe they should have played each other. 🙂

• runningunnin.454
      11:44 am July 9, 2020 Permalink

Prince would beat Roy; he was pretty good in high school.

11:53 am July 9, 2020 Permalink

rg, actually I meant that Saul should have played against Prince. 🙂

• runningunnin.454
      11:56 am July 9, 2020 Permalink

Oh, okay; Saul might win that one.

11:57 am July 9, 2020 Permalink

Saul would have been a really good guard for a mid-major or low Div I school. He hustled, which I respected.

13. RealCatsFan
    11:37 am July 9, 2020 Permalink

I’ll start this off by admitting that I can’t carry a tune in a bucket – I really have no pipes at all, so I can relate to picking a karaoke song that doesn’t have a lot of vocal range on it. I did a reasonable job on The Door’s “Love Me Two Times” one time, but when I got stuck trying to sing “Black Water” by the Doobie Brothers, things went south. 🙂

• Realme
      11:39 am July 9, 2020 Permalink

As a cat, I can’t imagine ever being drunk enough to sing in front of other people. 😉

11:52 am July 9, 2020 Permalink

I grew up singing in front of people, and was kind of shy. Strangely, it’s a lot easier to do that than speak in public.

11:55 am July 9, 2020 Permalink

If I had a decent voice, I would love to sing in public. If you were going to pick a rock star’s voice, who’s would it be? I would probably go with Chris Cornell from Soundgarden – the dude had an absolutely incredible set of pipes for a rock singer.

If I could pick an instrument to play, it would be drums.

14. runningunnin.454
    11:38 am July 9, 2020 Permalink

I enjoy the Triple Crown; but, my first bet at a track jumped out way ahead, and then just stopped, and was led off the track. Heard he was bleeding from the lungs, and was put down. Enough of that.
    My best friend cleared $300…and was hooked.

11:56 am July 9, 2020 Permalink

That’s probably why I never got hooked on gambling. You have to have the thrill of winning to set the hook. That hook rarely gets dangled in front of this fish.

15. ClutchCargo
    11:55 am July 9, 2020 Permalink

Remind me to tell ya’ll a hilarious Zoom meeting story tomorrow.

11:56 am July 9, 2020 Permalink

Does it involve inadvertent nudity? I’m on the edge of my seat. 🙂

12:01 pm July 9, 2020 Permalink

Uh, something like that. lol