KSR Show Thread, 7/8: Hop in, we’re going to Green County

On today’s KSR radio show, Ryan Lemond is still out sunbathing in Florida but Matt Jones, Shannon The Dude and I are ready to talk news, more Unsolved Mysteries and Green County. If you’re from Green County, give us a call. We need help!

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

Article written by Drew Franklin

91 Comments for KSR Show Thread, 7/8: Hop in, we’re going to Green County

1. runningunnin.454
    10:04 am July 8, 2020 Permalink

So the State Fair is going to have the Grass Roots; interesting band, their first hit was by the original songwriters of the song. But Dunhill records decided they couldn’t have their best songwriters out on the road, so they found another band, the Bedouins, to front the group. Later another group, 13th Floor, fronted the band. Finally, a third platoon, was brought in.
    This rare video is the original group with Willie Fulton on lead vocals; but, the audio is a later version with Rob Grill singing lead. They couldn’t even decide how to spell the band’s name; I have early album with the name as one word.

10:39 am July 8, 2020 Permalink

Would you go to the state fair? Will they make people wear masks?

• runningunnin.454
      10:41 am July 8, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, they’ll have to wear masks; and no, I wouldn’t go unless they get the Eagles, or John Fogerty.

10:46 am July 8, 2020 Permalink

Someone in the comments the other night said the Oak Ridge Boys will be singing “El Vi-RUS!” I should have thought of that since we used to joke about that when the song got popular.

• runningunnin.454
      10:48 am July 8, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, that was hysterical.

2. Laker Cat 18
    10:13 am July 8, 2020 Permalink

So I’m hearing a heated rumor that the KHSAA has entertained and could be thinking about swapping football and baseball seasons. We will know more following the meeting on Friday. Thoughts? I have my own, but I want to hear other opinions first.

• runningunnin.454
      10:17 am July 8, 2020 Permalink

Short version? Football is a fall/winter sport.

• RealCatsFan
      10:19 am July 8, 2020 Permalink

I guess the reasoning is that baseball has less contact, so it makes sense to delay the sport that has a lot of contact until next spring when hopefully a vaccine is available – am I right?

My big concern, since I have a kid playing, is the fall volleyball season. Sadly, I just don’t see any indoor sports happening, even one that is relatively minimal contact like volleyball. πŸ™

• Laker Cat 18
      10:25 am July 8, 2020 Permalink

Okay here are a couple of my concerns. I just don’t see it as a viable option.

Will they flip back to the regular schedule in 2021? If so, you’ll finish the football season around May/June and start back up in August? Seems like a very quick turnaround.

Some college players plan on early enrollment in December. They’ll miss their senior season if they still plan on that.

10:32 am July 8, 2020 Permalink

Agree, Laker. It’s such a convoluted idea, they very well just might do it.

3. ClutchCargo
    10:15 am July 8, 2020 Permalink

I rarely play golf anymore, but I understand Matt getting excited about getting onto that notoriously busy course at Bethpage. I used to travel a lot for work, mostly alone, and I would take my golf clubs just in case the opportunity presented itself. I had no problem playing alone in those situations.

10:17 am July 8, 2020 Permalink

I would think being forced to play with strangers would be one of the worst things about playing golf.

• runningunnin.454
      10:18 am July 8, 2020 Permalink

Hey, y’all supposed to be whispering.

10:19 am July 8, 2020 Permalink

But that may be the cat in me.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:20 am July 8, 2020 Permalink

I absolutely hate playing golf. You always know after the first two holes how your day is going to go. Plus it’s way too expensive and I don’t like wearing shirts with collars. With that said, I’d kick anyone’s @$$ on any putt-putt course out there.

10:20 am July 8, 2020 Permalink

Oh I’m using my Jim Nance voice. About putting myself to sleep.

• RealCatsFan
      10:21 am July 8, 2020 Permalink

I have actually enjoyed playing golf with strangers – occasionally we will pick someone up to make a foursome. Sometimes you meet some very interesting people. Like was said yesterday, I guess I am a dog (extrovert). πŸ™‚

The idea of walking 18 yards lugging a bag of clubs in this heat is not appealing to me at all. Even playing with a cart when it is this hot is not appealing to me. I usually just give up and completely mail it in on the back nine when it is like this. I must be getting old.

10:22 am July 8, 2020 Permalink

I have played with total strangers many times while traveling. There is a certain etiquette among golfers that makes it not as weird as it might seem. There is the occasional d-bag that you would just rather not deal with, but those have been few and far between for me. And if nothing else, would be either walking or riding in my own cart usually, so there is enough distance to make it okay.

10:24 am July 8, 2020 Permalink

Yeah 90s is too hot for anything non-water for me. I’ve switched to sitting in a chair in the shade hoping the birds come to me, while I watch work training videos.

10:30 am July 8, 2020 Permalink

I used to go to Bardstown and play My Old Kentucky Home course on Sunday afternoons, just last minute decision. A few of those times, there was a group of 3 guys in the parking lot who worked together, and invited me to join them. They brought a lot of beer and insisted on playing for money, so I went home happy more often than not. πŸ™‚ I would typically shoot in the mid to high 70’s there.

4. Realme
    10:18 am July 8, 2020 Permalink

Every caller should express disbelief in that 84 today until Matt’s head explodes.

• RealCatsFan
      10:23 am July 8, 2020 Permalink

There is a saying that you probably suck at both when your bowling scores and golf scores are close to each other. Describes me perfectly. I would be quite happy shooting an 84, but it’s not really anything to write home about unless it is a notoriously difficult course. I hardly ever play, and I can shoot in the 90’s.

10:24 am July 8, 2020 Permalink

I need to know more about how Matt follows the rules before I even care about whatever score he says he shot. Lot’s of people say they can shoot whatever, but then you see them not counting all the penalty strokes, etc.

10:26 am July 8, 2020 Permalink

Well he’s notorious for never putting out, so I doubt he’s that much of a rule follower in regard to those things.

• RealCatsFan
      10:30 am July 8, 2020 Permalink

Hopefully he doesn’t outright cheat like 45. πŸ™‚

10:35 am July 8, 2020 Permalink

Not putting out is a huge red flag. He would putt out or never hear the end of it from me. It’s okay if you want to play that way, but don’t tell me you can shoot 84 then.

10:42 am July 8, 2020 Permalink

Well, the mod bot doesn’t like that I said that Mr. Farmer is an ex-con, so his belief about Matt’s golf score is invalid. lol

• RealCatsFan
      10:47 am July 8, 2020 Permalink

The only time when it is acceptable to not putt out:

10:48 am July 8, 2020 Permalink

I hate golf, so it took me a second to realize you were talking about Matt PUTT-ing out, not PUT-ting out. Not to get blue. Haha.

10:51 am July 8, 2020 Permalink

So now the real story is coming out. There was a mulligan involved.

10:57 am July 8, 2020 Permalink

I thought that as I typed Chris, had to think about whether the spelling was supposed to be the same.

5. runningunnin.454
    10:28 am July 8, 2020 Permalink

Are we running Cal off…again? Bah!

6. Laker Cat 18
    10:29 am July 8, 2020 Permalink

I don’t disagree with Holtman or Beard to succeed Cal, but I would hope we would at least shoot a little higher in hopes to pull a bigger name. I’m sure it would be fairly tough, but I’m still shooting for a guy like Brad Stevens.

• RealCatsFan
      10:33 am July 8, 2020 Permalink

I love KP, but I think it would be very risky to put someone with an unproven record as a HC at a major program in the hot seat that is UK Basketball. I think the bigger question would be if he hangs around after Cal leaves. I would seriously doubt it.

Is Joe B the only assistant coach at UK Basketball who was promoted to HC? If not, he was certainly the only successful one. I know that Tubby was a former assistant, but he left to gain some HC experience before returning. Now if KP did that and had success, I would certainly be all in for him to come back to UK as a HC.

10:39 am July 8, 2020 Permalink

I understand the desire to maintain some continuity by promoted assistant coaches, but how often does that usually work out? Especially with long-time assistants. I feel like the coaches who are cut out to be head coaches rise up through the ranks fairly quickly.

10:44 am July 8, 2020 Permalink

Who is Holtman? And is Beard the Texas Tech guy?

10:50 am July 8, 2020 Permalink

BTW, Mark Richt was pretty successful at UGA and he was an assistant at FSU when he was hired.

• runningunnin.454
      10:53 am July 8, 2020 Permalink

Holtman is at OSU

• Laker Cat 18
      10:55 am July 8, 2020 Permalink

My thing with the two mentioned, they’ve neither been head coaches very long. They have experience, but not a lot of it. I would lean toward throwing cash at a veteran. I’m not sure either one of them can recruit to our standards.

10:56 am July 8, 2020 Permalink

My comment was geared toward basketball. Football is a different story, I think. But again, long-time assistant vs a guy who came up through the ranks in a relatively short time is more relevant to me.

7. Laker Cat 18
    10:32 am July 8, 2020 Permalink

Would they say the same for a guy like Vince Morrow in football to succeed Stoops? They paid the man enough! My thought on that would be to ask who is more important to their program…Payne to basketball or Morrow to football?

• RealCatsFan
      10:35 am July 8, 2020 Permalink

I think Marrow is a bigger deal for the football program – simply for the recruiting swag if nothing else.

Time to put in the obligatory plug to bring back Antigua as an assistant coach. πŸ™‚

10:42 am July 8, 2020 Permalink

Yep, the Big Dog is everything. Also, I second bringing back Coach Ortega, as Matt once called him.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:44 am July 8, 2020 Permalink

It may be an unpopular opinion, but I would probably be in the boat to bring Antigua back NOW and make room for him if needed. (Did I say that out loud?)

11:03 am July 8, 2020 Permalink

I wouldn’t rule that out, Laker. Somebody could just be tired of the recruiting grind and want to take over more of a director of basketball operations role. πŸ˜‰

8. RealCatsFan
    10:43 am July 8, 2020 Permalink

Matt bringing up “Karen’s” reminds me of a funny incident at the lake. My SIL rented a pontoon boat, and there were two left to pick from. She had a hard time deciding apparently. I went to the marina to get ice shortly after she left with the boat, and overheard a dockhand talking to a group of his co-workers. When he started talking about the crazy lady who drove him up a wall picking a boat, my ears perked up and I stood nearby acting like I was looking at the fish swimming around the dock. He went on to say that she wore him out with questions, and kept switching back and forth to the point where he ran out of room on the form for all the boat numbers he had scratched out. After I got my ice, I saw him coiling up dock lines, and I went up and said, “You know that lady who was trying to decide which boat she wanted? I’m married to her sister. I know exactly what you were dealing with!” His jaw dropped, and then he doubled over laughing. Needless to say, I had some fun with that one. πŸ˜€

10:48 am July 8, 2020 Permalink

That’s too funny. You should have said she was your wife to see his reaction.

10:49 am July 8, 2020 Permalink

And have a really sour look on your face.

• RealCatsFan
      10:54 am July 8, 2020 Permalink

Oh, believe me, I had a dead serious look on my face, and I paused a moment before I said that I know what he is dealing with. I think I saw the color drain out of his face at first. He looked to be late teens or early 20’s.

11:01 am July 8, 2020 Permalink

Did your SIL ask to speak to the dockhand’s manager? If not, she may not be a full-fledged Karen.

9. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    11:14 am July 8, 2020 Permalink

Does Matt have no appreciation of history? Just because HE says “The first _______ west of the Allegenys isn’t a thing” doesn’t mean it never was. There is much made, in some history books, about Ohio and Kentucky being considered the western front when the westward expansion of the country was first beginning.

11:16 am July 8, 2020 Permalink

My thoughts exactly. Just didn’t know where to start. Chalk it up to yet another thing that Matt assumes everyone thinks just because he thinks it.

11:18 am July 8, 2020 Permalink

There was a time when “west of the Mississippi” wouldn’t have meant anything since we hadn’t expanded that far west yet.

11:26 am July 8, 2020 Permalink

Some of you may already have figured out where my religious “affiliation” if you will lies, and I’ve read a book series called “The Search for the Ancient Order”. It details how several people, including Barton W. Stone, Thomas & Alexander (father & son) Campbell, and “Raccoon” John Smith, through studying the scriptures independent of one another, decided to leave denominationalism and just let the Bible be their guide…no man-made creed or doctrine. Anyway, much is made in that series of the push westward into Ohio and Kentucky by preachers. The Campbells had immigrated from Ireland and had been living in Pennsylvania, and again, those 2 states were the western front at the time.

See also Daniel Boone. Hello MJ!

10. runningunnin.454
    11:15 am July 8, 2020 Permalink

“What are those things on cows…udders?” I’ll retire to Bedlam.

• RealCatsFan
      11:19 am July 8, 2020 Permalink

An old friend of mine used to dress up in a cow suit every Halloween simply because he took perverse pleasure in girls “milking” his udders. The boy just ain’t right. His nickname was “Woody” – wonder why…

11:22 am July 8, 2020 Permalink

RCF, somehow that comment reminds me of the Bluegrass Miracle vs LSU. My wife and I were sitting right in that end zone where the LSU guy scored the winning TD. This LSU fan dressed a cow came onto the field and started taunting a UK player laying face down on the field. Just one of many bizarre things to be seen at that moment.

• runningunnin.454
      11:24 am July 8, 2020 Permalink

There’s something wrong with this cow; hey Matt, you’re pulling on his ______.

11:27 am July 8, 2020 Permalink

But Matt now has a friend for life. πŸ™‚

11:29 am July 8, 2020 Permalink

Oh gosh, you guys are terrible. However, I’m afraid that might happen if he ever tried to milk a cow.

11:30 am July 8, 2020 Permalink

Bah ha ha ha!

• RealCatsFan
      11:47 am July 8, 2020 Permalink

Someone should try to get him to milk a bull instead of a cow. Talk about a friend for life… πŸ˜‰

11. RealCatsFan
    11:17 am July 8, 2020 Permalink

I remember when Fruit of the Loom basically held Russell County hostage, threatening to take jobs overseas unless they were allowed to dump thousands of gallons of salt water effluent directly into Lake Cumberland. Of course, naturalists, boaters, and environmentalists were against it. Ultimately, Fruit of the Loom got their way, but decided to move the jobs overseas anyway. I don’t know the total impact of all the crap they dumped into the lake, but I will say that from my perspective the water clarity isn’t what it was back in the 70’s/80’s. Some of that can probably be attributed to the sheer number of boats running on the lake, fertilizer runoff, etc.

• Laker Cat 18
      11:26 am July 8, 2020 Permalink

My dad worked at FotL for years before they transferred everything to Honduras I think it was.

12. ClutchCargo
    11:26 am July 8, 2020 Permalink

Baby hawk update: they don’t look like babies anymore, but they have a lot to learn still. Yesterday, they were both sitting on a tree branch just a couple of feet above a firewood pile covered with a tarp. A squirrel ran up on the tarp in their direction and they both fled in terror. lol

11:28 am July 8, 2020 Permalink

Little does he know he’s about to be their dinner in a couple months. Haha.

11:29 am July 8, 2020 Permalink

Ha ha dumb babies. I have seen 2 videos on Twitter in the last week of goshawks waiting for other hawk parents to leave the nest and then swooping off with a baby. Wild.

11:30 am July 8, 2020 Permalink

I think they just don’t recognize a living animal as food yet. They’re used to mom or dad bringing them something all ripped apart.

11:33 am July 8, 2020 Permalink

Ouch. I hate to see animals eaten by other animals, even though I know it’s the natural order, but especially if it’s babies being eaten.

13. Laker Cat 18
    11:28 am July 8, 2020 Permalink

I’ll never forget the Jay in Lyndon call on the post game show after we won the 2012 championship.

11:32 am July 8, 2020 Permalink

What did he say? I remember listening on my Walkman (I had no smart device at the time & for some reason didn’t listen on the PC…I guess I was tired because I remember I went to bed and had my headphones on).

• Laker Cat 18
      11:48 am July 8, 2020 Permalink

Wait, it was the call right after Jay’s. This should be it. I’ll probably go back and listen as soon as the show today is over actually. The call starts at 28:30 minutes into the stream.

11:53 am July 8, 2020 Permalink

Thanks LC. I think I’ll listen to that too.

• Laker Cat 18
      11:55 am July 8, 2020 Permalink

I already bailed from the live show to listen. I forgot to watch Unsolved Mysteries last night…another one to put on my list I guess.

11:57 am July 8, 2020 Permalink

It’s 6 episodes, I’m halfway through.

• Laker Cat 18
      12:00 pm July 8, 2020 Permalink

I may have to pause Ozark and Yellowstone and run through UM quickly just for KSR.

14. Laker Cat 18
    11:31 am July 8, 2020 Permalink

That’s a good new show thread topic. Do you all read? I started reading more during quarantine. I’m reading One Second After right now.

11:39 am July 8, 2020 Permalink

I read a ton for work, so I don’t do it much anymore in my free time. But I have always been an avid reader from childhood up until a few years ago. Big fan of Tom Clancy, Stephen King, and a few others. I have heard about a series of novels “The Day After Never” that I might start soon.

• BobbyBlue
      11:40 am July 8, 2020 Permalink

One second after will make you really think about what could and might happen in the US some day. Thought provoking book !

11:40 am July 8, 2020 Permalink

Weirdly, I can’t sit and read like I used too before my work closed down. You’d think it would be the opposite.

11:44 am July 8, 2020 Permalink

One Second After seems like my kind of reading. I’ll have to check that one out.

• Laker Cat 18
      11:53 am July 8, 2020 Permalink

It’s pretty good so far. I’ve already got a plan to grab the next two in the series. It’s fiction, but the foreword was by former Speaker of the House, Newt Gingrich where he projects how possible an electromagnetic nuke would be for the United States.

15. ClutchCargo
    11:36 am July 8, 2020 Permalink

The very underrated Bo Pitney is on the schedule with Josh Turner. I’m considering going to that one.

11:36 am July 8, 2020 Permalink

*Mo Pitney

16. runningunnin.454
    11:42 am July 8, 2020 Permalink

Hah, the Grassroots charted on the Billboard Top 100…21 times, and Top 20…3 times. If Matt doesn’t remember it…it didn’t happen.
    Buckinghams were a ’60’s pop group, hit big with “Kind of A Drag”.

11:56 am July 8, 2020 Permalink

If I had a dollar for every time I’ve heard MJ say “Oh come on, who watches/listens to that?” just because he doesn’t…

17. BobbyBlue
    11:42 am July 8, 2020 Permalink

One year later is the sequel to one second after.
    Not quite as good but still an interesting read.

18. Realme
    11:43 am July 8, 2020 Permalink

That husband did it. He was like a psychopath trying to be pretend to be a grieving spouse. Asking the funeral home to “reassemble” her, carrying her skull around, obsessively !essing with her ashes? NO!

19. BobbyBlue
    11:51 am July 8, 2020 Permalink

One second after is one of the best books I have read since Covid has stuck me at home, and I have been an avid reader since the day I learned how to read. One year later , the sequel is also .good.
    Should be able to find a copy on EBay

• Laker Cat 18
      11:59 am July 8, 2020 Permalink

I bought my copy on eBay for like $4.00. I plan on donating it to the local public library because it was the only one of the 3 from the series they didn’t have. (I don’t even have a library card yet because I never made time to read until we were all locked down at the house!)

• BobbyBlue
      3:27 pm July 8, 2020 Permalink

I have read all three but one second after is the best and I can’t quit thinking about it and what would happen to all of us if the electrical system were shut down in the US by a thermonuclear blast by one of our enemies.