KSR Show Thread 7/7: The County Spotlight Shines on Grayson County

Today Kentucky Sports Radio’s virtual tour of all 120 Kentucky counties takes its talents to the home of Rough River and Nolin Lake, Grayson County. If you’re from that neck of the woods, share some facts by calling in to talk to Matt, Drew and Shannon The Dude.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

76 Comments for KSR Show Thread 7/7: The County Spotlight Shines on Grayson County

1. runningunnin.454
    10:04 am July 7, 2020 Permalink

Lost a pretty good fiddle player yesterday,

10:09 am July 7, 2020 Permalink

Yep!

10:15 am July 7, 2020 Permalink

Heaven should be proud. RIP, Long Haired Country Boy. 🙁

10:26 am July 7, 2020 Permalink

Yet Matt thinks his career was mostly known for Devil Went Down to Georgia. Hello? People literally called him Long-haired Country Boy.

• Realme
      10:34 am July 7, 2020 Permalink

Is there anything Matt likes better than reducing musicians to one song?

10:37 am July 7, 2020 Permalink

His song “Uneasy Rider” (I still always think it was called “Green Teeth”) was another classic and is really funny. It was almost a rap since a lot of it was more talking than singing.

“Now the last thing I wanted was to get in a fight,
      In Jackson, Mississippi on a Saturday night!”

10:38 am July 7, 2020 Permalink

A lot of people probably only know Charlie for that one song. I also loved “In America” except for the profanity & telling someone where to go.

Wave Old Glory Charlie!!!

10:41 am July 7, 2020 Permalink

Realme, the one thing Matt might like more than that is assuming everyone thinks something just because he thinks it.

10:42 am July 7, 2020 Permalink

“The South’s Gonna Do It Again” might ruffle some feathers today with the line “proud to be a rebel”, but it is basically an ode to southern rock artists. Lot’s of great bands referenced in that song – Marshall Tucker Band, Allman Brothers, Wet Willie, Elvin Bishop, Skynyrd….

• Realme
      10:45 am July 7, 2020 Permalink

Ha ha, yes, Clutch!

10:50 am July 7, 2020 Permalink

I meant to say a lot of folks probably only know Charlie for “The Devil Went Down to Georgia” because that was his biggest “crossover” hit if you will. It’s kind of like me not really being familiar with some of Journey’s earlier stuff that’s really good. I had heard them on the radio before “Escape” came out, but I had never heard “Wheels in the Sky” until after that, and it’s a great song. See also the song “Anytime”. Somehow I had missed that one.

10:51 am July 7, 2020 Permalink

RCF, yes, he specifically mentions Dickie Betts, guitarist from the Allman Brothers, in that song.

10:57 am July 7, 2020 Permalink

Yep, and I forgot to mention ZZ Top. Another favorite band. If you want to listen to an underrated bluesy ZZ Top song, try this one on:

11:01 am July 7, 2020 Permalink

Regarding Journey, if you ever listened to album oriented rock back in the 70’s, you know that “Anytime” is ALWAYS preceded by “Feelin’ That Way”, just like “Lovin’ Touchin’ Squeezin'” is followed by “City of the Angels”. “Anytime” is perhaps my favorite song by Journey.

My brother-in-law is a very accomplished rock guitarist, and he was putting a Journey cover band together. They sounded awesome, and I was real excited to get to see them in action, but alas, his second kid arrived as a surprise nine years after their first, and that was that.

11:55 am July 7, 2020 Permalink

Yes, see there, I still forget that “Feelin’ That Way” is a separate song. I think of them as 1 since they run together, like “We Will Rock You” and
      “We Are The Champions”.

2. Laker Cat 18
    10:04 am July 7, 2020 Permalink

I’m midway through season 1 of Ozark with the wife. We both like it. I also started Yellowstone last night, watching that one by myself. I’m going to like that one!

• runningunnin.454
      10:14 am July 7, 2020 Permalink

I started Yellowstone this season, and caught a few of last season’s episodes. Very good show; but, that blonde daughter has a mouth on her, don’t she?

10:17 am July 7, 2020 Permalink

I love Ozark! Will start Yellowstone eventually.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:20 am July 7, 2020 Permalink

My top 3 is pretty solid with Sons of Anarchy, Wentworth, Breaking Bad…but I can tell early that Yellowstone will push some of those if it keeps it up.

10:23 am July 7, 2020 Permalink

I doubt any show will ever top Deadwood for me. But it’s not for everybody, which is probably a factor in why it only went 3 seasons. I think it was just too expensive to keep producing, mainly.

10:25 am July 7, 2020 Permalink

I’m binge watching The Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. Haha.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:41 am July 7, 2020 Permalink

I probably need to add Deadwood to my list. Especially if it’s only 3 seasons. I can pull that off pretty quickly.

10:44 am July 7, 2020 Permalink

Now that I’m done standing on my head in the bilge of my boat, Mrs RCF has me pinned down with a honey-do list a mile long, so I may never have time again to sit down and watch a series on Netflix.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:47 am July 7, 2020 Permalink

RCF – Tell her you’re watching Chip and Joanna. She’ll love you a little more.

10:49 am July 7, 2020 Permalink

Laker, when I say it’s not for everybody, the language and such are meant to be as vile as possible. Apparently, the really bad words back in the 1970’s were pretty much what you can hear on network TV these days. So the F word is thrown around like candy on Halloween just to convey the crude nature of a lot of the people who inhabited this mining camp.

10:50 am July 7, 2020 Permalink

*1870’s

• runningunnin.454
      11:01 am July 7, 2020 Permalink

Chris is in love with Annette and Darlene, ha ha.

11:10 am July 7, 2020 Permalink

RG, this is the all cartoon show. I’m kidding of course, but my daughter loved it when she was little. Now we watch our friend’s little girl and she loves it.

11:13 am July 7, 2020 Permalink

Besides, I was actually partial to Lisa Whelchel on the New Mickey Mouse Club in the 70s. 😉

3. Realme
    10:12 am July 7, 2020 Permalink

I’m tired of the will sports won’t sports conversation. Can we go back to Covid and Matt’s potential Senate run?

10:18 am July 7, 2020 Permalink

Remember when the thing we all cared about this time of year was who the guest host would be? Seems like a lifetime ago.

• Realme
      10:21 am July 7, 2020 Permalink

Oh man Jay Bilas has gotten SO annoying. When will the Sklar brothers bring some new material?

• runningunnin.454
      10:22 am July 7, 2020 Permalink

Yep, Matt’s not a doctor? Then hesh, don’t bring me down,

10:23 am July 7, 2020 Permalink

I would almost take some of Matthew Mitchell’s Kelly Clarkson talk…almost.

10:24 am July 7, 2020 Permalink

10:28 am July 7, 2020 Permalink

PMT tomorrow? Nope, I’m out. 🙂

• runningunnin.454
      10:42 am July 7, 2020 Permalink

Yeah Chris, I know that one. Did you know ELO’s drummer, Bev Bevan, was with a pretty decent English band in the ’60’s, the Diplomats? The Diplomats’ lead singer, Denny Laine, was a founding member of the Moody Blues, and sang their first big hit, “Go Now”.

10:46 am July 7, 2020 Permalink

Nope, did not know that. ELO is one of my all time favorites!

More trivia: do you know who the big tall guy is on the back of the “Discovery” album holding the sword and dressed like something from Arabian nights? It’s none other than Brad Garrett of “Everybody Loves Raymond” fame. I stumbled across that on the web a few years ago and pulled out my CD. Yep, that’s him! I had that album on 8 track back in the day. lol

• runningunnin.454
      10:49 am July 7, 2020 Permalink

Didn’t know that. “Raymond Gets…EVERYTHING”.

10:52 am July 7, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, and he was perfect for that photo being such a big tall guy. He looks very intimidating holding that big sword!

10:54 am July 7, 2020 Permalink

Love ELO! My younger daughter’s all-time favorite song is “Mister Blue Sky”.

10:55 am July 7, 2020 Permalink

BTW, ELO & Jeff Lynne are grossly underrated in my opinion. Their Greatest Hits collection is awesome. They were on tour (as “Jeff Lynne’s ELO) last year and they were in Atlanta and I didn’t know it until the day before and couldn’t go. Arggggggg!!!!!!!

4. RealCatsFan
    10:38 am July 7, 2020 Permalink

Lynyrd Skynyrd was perhaps my favorite band growing up as a teenager. I was heartbroken when the plane crash happened – right after they released Street Survivors. The original album cover illustrated flames engulfing two of the bandmembers who were killed in the crash. They removed the fire on all album covers after that.

10:39 am July 7, 2020 Permalink

And Charlie Daniels paid homage to Skynyrd in the song “Reflections”.

5. ClutchCargo
    10:55 am July 7, 2020 Permalink

Normally I have no aversion whatsoever to flying, but I think a plane is about the last place I would want to be right now. No, thanks to sitting in a huge flying Petri dish.

10:55 am July 7, 2020 Permalink

And I only say that because I don’t think a cruise ship is an option right now.

11:03 am July 7, 2020 Permalink

I never understood the idiots who want to be an a-hole about wearing a mask on a plane. Hell, it might be a good idea for all of us to wear one all the time, not just during the Covid pandemic.

11:13 am July 7, 2020 Permalink

Not to beat a dead horse, but RCF, you can blame Fauci, the Surgeon General, and the corrupt organizations the CDC and WHO for a lot of that. If they had not told us that mask wearing was BAD, the debate would not be nearly as contentious.

11:15 am July 7, 2020 Permalink

But you also need to place some blame on the child who lives in the WH. Even when his staff are wearing masks, and he goes to a HOSPITAL where masks are required, he still refuses to wear one. It’s like he thinks he is just too cool to stoop to the level of wearing one. The man is truly a case of arrested development.

11:56 am July 7, 2020 Permalink

That’s not unfair, except for the fact that there is still plenty of disagreement among experts on mask v. no mask.

12:16 pm July 7, 2020 Permalink

Why take a chance? Even if there is disagreement on how much it helps, for 99.9% of us it can’t hurt anything, and just maybe it will help mitigate the spread. It’s a minor annoyance, and people who come up with excuses that it hurts their breathing are for the most part, well, snowflakes. 😉

6. Laker Cat 18
    11:09 am July 7, 2020 Permalink

Come on, Rick. Answer the d*** question.

7. RealCatsFan
    11:12 am July 7, 2020 Permalink

Wow, I would love to see UK play WKU in basketball. But now that my daughter is attending WKU, who do I cheer for? (JK, of course!)

11:13 am July 7, 2020 Permalink

I sure wish they would do a game at Memorial with throwback jerseys.

11:16 am July 7, 2020 Permalink

We definitely need to take that offer. Keep that guarantee money in-state, and it would be way more interesting than whatever cupcake was going to fill that last spot on the schedule.

• runningunnin.454
      11:17 am July 7, 2020 Permalink

I would vote for that game, too. If we have the season, WKU will be formidable with Hollingsworth and Charles Bassey.
      But, if we win…big deal; if we lose…look out.

11:58 am July 7, 2020 Permalink

Someone in the comments a while back said that Memorial doesn’t have it’s historic look inside any more. Is that true? And if so, what constituted that old look? I know sometimes even the most venerated old stadiums/arenas are mostly just concrete and seats.

12:14 pm July 7, 2020 Permalink

cg, there were plans to renovate and modernize it, mainly for the women’s hoops program. It has that old-school 50’s look inside with the yellow ceramic bricks and tile, old wooden backed seats on one side and benches on the other side. Like a time capsule. Old pictures from glory days long past on the walls of the concourse and old trophies in glass cases. And they have a full list of Kentucky soldiers’ names who were lost in wars from Vietnam on back.

• runningunnin.454
      9:09 am July 9, 2020 Permalink

pic.twitter.com/cyrRKgjMxd

8. RealCatsFan
    11:17 am July 7, 2020 Permalink

What I remember about Grayson County is seeing the sign on the side of the WK Parkway that says “Used Cows For Sale”. 😀

11:19 am July 7, 2020 Permalink

I believe you’re thinking of the sign on I-65 between Sonora and Upton. 😉

11:20 am July 7, 2020 Permalink

In Hardin County.

11:29 am July 7, 2020 Permalink

Might be one there as well, after all, we are talking about Kentucky, but I clearly remember this one being on the Parkway.

11:31 am July 7, 2020 Permalink

It’s a copy cat sign, then. The other one has been around a long time.

11:34 am July 7, 2020 Permalink

But that would be so Grayson County, so who knows.

• runningunnin.454
      11:35 am July 7, 2020 Permalink

My favorite Kentucky signs are in Fort Campbell. “Tattoos, while you wait” and “Cast Iron Sinks”…hell, everyone knows that.

9. ClutchCargo
    11:18 am July 7, 2020 Permalink

Shannon is right, Nolin Lake sounds like “no LYNN.”

• BlondeBomber
      11:34 am July 7, 2020 Permalink

Shannon is definitely right about the pronunciation. Calling Larry Elmore a dork was pretty harsh though. He’s a legendary artist.

10. runningunnin.454
    11:19 am July 7, 2020 Permalink

Played pickup games at UK with Jim Dinwiddie…very tough competitor. RIP.

• BlondeBomber
      11:36 am July 7, 2020 Permalink

Jim was a very nice man. I got to play pickup games with him behind the middle school on the old asphalt court that is no longer there.

11. RealCatsFan
    11:28 am July 7, 2020 Permalink

When Kentucky Joe said he had some bad news, I feared the worst. I kind of laughed when he said he was getting off Twitter because “Jeremy” called him a “woodcutter”. That is SO KY Joe.

• Realme
      11:30 am July 7, 2020 Permalink

Joe vs Jeremy (whoever that is) beef is almost enough for me to unmute him. Almost.

12. ClutchCargo
    11:29 am July 7, 2020 Permalink

*Finger on the mute button just in case KY Joe breaks into song.*

13. BlondeBomber
    11:32 am July 7, 2020 Permalink

Just FYI, the Leitchfield mayor does not speak for Grayson Countians. Leitchfield is 95% Kentucky fans, 4% Loserville fans, and 1% goons who like both teams. Clarkson is 100% Kentucky fans.