KSR Show Thread, 7/6: Graves County spotlight!

Ryan Lemond is sunbathing on the closed beaches of Florida all week, but the KSR County Spotlight will continue today with Graves County. Matt Jones, Shannon The Dude and I will talk Graves County and all the news in the world. If you’re from Graves County, give us a call. It’d be cool if you left some Graves County facts, athletes or musicians in the comments below too. Little help never hurt.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

Article written by Drew Franklin

79 Comments for KSR Show Thread, 7/6: Graves County spotlight!

1. RealCatsFan
    9:57 am July 6, 2020 Permalink

First! 😀 After my week off from KSR and life in general. Wow, that flew by…

10:04 am July 6, 2020 Permalink

Wait, what? Week off from life in general? I was scarce for a few days myself, so I may have missed something.

10:08 am July 6, 2020 Permalink

Hope y’all had a great time.

10:12 am July 6, 2020 Permalink

yeah, for once everything seemed to fall into place. Hit a lot of rain on the trip down, and didn’t get to do much boating on the first day, but after that we managed to dodge the rain pretty well. All in all, the weather was pretty nice – it was actually good to have some cloud cover to keep us from getting really roasted. We even managed to get the family cornhole tournament finished. 🙂 Boat even ran good without a hitch.

10:15 am July 6, 2020 Permalink

Ah, the DH trip. Glad that all worked out.

10:27 am July 6, 2020 Permalink

Clutch, Dale Hollow (and Lake Cumberland, and most lakes in Kentucky) is a little bit of heaven here on earth. When I kick the bucket I want my ashes equally distributed over both lakes.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:55 am July 6, 2020 Permalink

I’m taking a week off next week but all my wife wants to do is remove old wallpaper and paint and stuff. Ugh.

11:35 am July 6, 2020 Permalink

I agree, RCF. I have lots of great memories of fishing all night with my dad on Lake Cumberland as a kid. We would go for the striped bass, which is totally all or nothing. A big school would come sweeping through (or not) at about midnight. If it was a good night, we would get back in just before dawn.

2. Laker Cat 18
    10:06 am July 6, 2020 Permalink

Are we going to have high school football in Kentucky this fall? I believe I heard the KHSAA was supposed to meet about it this week.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:56 am July 6, 2020 Permalink

I’ve just about given up the idea of having football or basketball unfortunately.

3. Laker Cat 18
    10:10 am July 6, 2020 Permalink

We were called by our district regarding in-school versus virtual learning. Our school system is giving parents the choice. You can’t participate in extra-curricular activities if choosing virtual learning. Just out of curiosity…what would you choose with the way things stand right now?

10:14 am July 6, 2020 Permalink

We will choose in-school, with the way things stand right now. Virtual learning is fine short-term, but my son just needs the structure that is provided by having to get up, catch the bus, etc.

10:14 am July 6, 2020 Permalink

Oldham is going full speed ahead with regular classes, starting on-time in August. I have my doubts that we will have any fall athletics, however. 🙁

10:16 am July 6, 2020 Permalink

Well I don’t have kids, so grain of salt, but to me it would depend on whether you have someone high risk in your household.

10:18 am July 6, 2020 Permalink

For my household, high risk isn’t a factor. But that is a valid point.

10:20 am July 6, 2020 Permalink

Clutch, I think my kids would lose their minds if they had to go back to virtual instruction this fall. Have never seen them miss school so much. Older daughter is very worried about her freshman year as a Hilltopper.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:30 am July 6, 2020 Permalink

We chose in-school learning for many reasons. One of the main being the discipline & structure you mentioned, Clutch. Just wondered what others would do.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:59 am July 6, 2020 Permalink

I don’t think it’s fair to say “No in-school? Then no activities.” After all, if what we’re told by the august Fauci, the scarf lady, and the Surgeon General is true, being around others as little as possible is one of the keys. It sounds like they want to force in-school (or brick and mortar as I like to call it) but in a roundabout way to avoid criticism.

11:31 am July 6, 2020 Permalink

I just want this thing to be over, ASAP. I am completely done with it. I was really hoping that things would die down over the summer so we could have some sports in the fall. So much for heat and sunlight causing it to go away. I have to wonder if the heat down south driving people to the air conditioned indoors has as much to do with it as anything else.

4. RealCatsFan
    10:16 am July 6, 2020 Permalink

I’m laughing at Matt describing his GF’s cat screaming at him for food in the morning. Our little brat does the same thing, and if we don’t get up soon enough for him he will jump up on the bathroom counter and swat my contact lens case off onto the floor and play hockey with it. Little $hithead.

10:19 am July 6, 2020 Permalink

Mayberry the cat is hilarious. Luckily my current 2 are not fat, so we just leave food out all the time. One likes to scream at the door where my husband is sleeping days but I can usually get him to knock it off.

10:24 am July 6, 2020 Permalink

We have a Siamese, so they can be particularly loud and obnoxious.

10:26 am July 6, 2020 Permalink

Both of mine have Siamese in them, but one only squeaks. He never got a meow, but he can growl convincingly if he wants.

10:29 am July 6, 2020 Permalink

Our cat used to follow us down the street when we would take the dog for walks. It was like he didn’t want to be left behind. He would run behind us absolutely screaming at us in this gutteral yowl. One of my neighbors asked us one time if he was sick or injured. It’s actually pretty funny.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:31 am July 6, 2020 Permalink

I don’t have cats for these very reasons. Plus my wife is allergic. We have two dogs instead, but they’re about as needy. LOL

11:03 am July 6, 2020 Permalink

One of our dogs is a Havanese. She has this super high pitched bark, and makes a meowing sound when she wants something. She also does this thing where she kind of does this silly howl at the end when she yawns. She also notices EVERYTHING around her. Like pictures of the kids on the wall kind of freaked her out when she first saw them. And she never misses a hummingbird when she is outside and one shows up. The neighbors have two Havanese and it’s hilarious when all three start barking at lightning bugs.

11:26 am July 6, 2020 Permalink

Our neighbors on the other side have two Coton de Tulears. One looks like a goofy little polar bear. The other one has some kind of problem with her voice that makes her sound exactly like an old man imitating a barking dog. Scared the crap out of me the first time I heard that sound in the dark.

5. ClutchCargo
    10:17 am July 6, 2020 Permalink

It’s actually hilarious hearing Matt complain about this cat. In my mind, there are people who are cats and people who are dogs. Matt is definitely a cat.

10:19 am July 6, 2020 Permalink

I’m wondering how Matt would handle having to share his bed with a “horse-dog” (as my nieces called our dog after dog-sitting for us). 😀

10:21 am July 6, 2020 Permalink

You should elaborate Clutch. IDK if I am a cat or a dog, but Matt would definitely be a cat, he just would.

10:25 am July 6, 2020 Permalink

“Cats to me seem like divas”. Ha ha ha yep.

10:29 am July 6, 2020 Permalink

Hard to explain, it’s just part of how my brain works. Cat people tend to be control freaks, more easily offended and well, Matt-like at the extreme end. A dog person is more extroverted, more comfortable in social situations. Again, hard to explain, but I can spot it a mile away. 🙂

10:30 am July 6, 2020 Permalink

Okay, I am a cat then.

10:32 am July 6, 2020 Permalink

Clutch, I guess I would break that mold – I have been a cat person since I was a kid – I grew up with them. But I like dogs too. And I am far from an introvert, and it takes a lot to offend me. However, I do have a problem with people who act like a-holes and douchebags, so maybe that makes me easily offended.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:32 am July 6, 2020 Permalink

Matt is a cat. If he were a dog, he would have ran against Mitch. Haha

10:32 am July 6, 2020 Permalink

Maybe I should turn in my man-card. 🙂

10:46 am July 6, 2020 Permalink

I’m the same way, RCF. It’s more of a spectrum than buckets where everything fits neatly.

10:50 am July 6, 2020 Permalink

Clutch, you’re a dog, because you like cooking for a neighborhood block party. RCF, you’re probably a dog too. None of you seem half as antisocial as I am.

10:55 am July 6, 2020 Permalink

That sounds about right, Realme.

6. RealCatsFan
    10:23 am July 6, 2020 Permalink

So would Matt (or whatever opponent) be able to hire their own “tracker” to follow Mitch around? I seriously doubt it, because The Turtle has his protective secret service shell to protect him. But it would be kind of satisfying to see Mitch get a dose of his own medicine.

10:28 am July 6, 2020 Permalink

Turtle isn’t exactly a real person among the people. Probably would be boring to track.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:02 am July 6, 2020 Permalink

Telephoto lenses can do wonders.

11:06 am July 6, 2020 Permalink

Sounds like that could have been season 7 of The Wire. lol

10:37 am July 6, 2020 Permalink

John Fogerty is an American Treasure. He sure seems to have dodged the ravages of Father Time – dude looks like he is about 50. That is a beautiful video.

He absolutely stole the show at Bourbon and Beyond last year.

• runningunnin.454
      10:40 am July 6, 2020 Permalink

I tried to add commentary about the videos THREE times, and was moderated. Three strikes, so I guess I’m out.

10:52 am July 6, 2020 Permalink

rg, you forgot to say “Put Me In, Coach”. 🙂

• runningunnin.454
      11:06 am July 6, 2020 Permalink

Yep, I’m benched. Here’s one (a little long) where he plays his custom baseball bat guitar; he calls it “Slugger”, and it only knows one song. You might be interested in his daughter’s comments toward the end of the video. She was a high school senior, and missed all the fun due to the shut-down.

7. Laker Cat 18
    10:36 am July 6, 2020 Permalink

Are we going to bring up Kanye’s Presidential announcement?

10:37 am July 6, 2020 Permalink

They could sell tickets to his debate with Trump and Biden.

10:52 am July 6, 2020 Permalink

I’d watch.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:11 am July 6, 2020 Permalink

The best debate ever was the VP debate in 1992 when you had Admiral Stockdale. SNL did a great parody of it also.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:11 am July 6, 2020 Permalink

Stockdale in addition to Quayle & Gore I meant…

8. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:49 am July 6, 2020 Permalink

Matt just summoned me? lol

9. RealCatsFan
    10:52 am July 6, 2020 Permalink

Shouldn’t a guy with a last name of “Thrower” be a qb? 😉

10:53 am July 6, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, for sure.

10:56 am July 6, 2020 Permalink

Yes! How unfortunate that he plays defense.

10. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:54 am July 6, 2020 Permalink

Wow, I think this is the first time I’ve actually been paying attention and heard Johnny snoring. lol. He’s the absolute best.

10:57 am July 6, 2020 Permalink

Is this him snoring while on waiting on hold or something?

11:02 am July 6, 2020 Permalink

I need a Little Orphan Annie Johnny Short Decoder ring.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:03 am July 6, 2020 Permalink

Clutch, yes, that’s what they said.

11. RealCatsFan
    10:54 am July 6, 2020 Permalink

I think I need to set John Short up with a CPAP machine. I’m worried about him. Does he drive?

10:57 am July 6, 2020 Permalink

No, he doesn’t drive. Legally blind.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:58 am July 6, 2020 Permalink

Sleepy John Short is great!

12. RealCatsFan
    10:57 am July 6, 2020 Permalink

The wife never believed me when I told her that she snores, so one night I called her work number and held the phone up to her so she would have a nice VM waiting for her the next morning to prove my point. And yes, I survived the aftermath.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:58 am July 6, 2020 Permalink

Sounds like something I would do. That’s awesome!

13. Laker Cat 18
    10:59 am July 6, 2020 Permalink

Lake Cumberland was hoppin this weekend!

11:04 am July 6, 2020 Permalink

Dale Hollow wasn’t bad, but we were down there through the week. It was kind of nice and laid back. I really need to get back down to LC again. It has been a long time. Yesterday was so hot that the water was the only place that brought any relief.

14. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    11:08 am July 6, 2020 Permalink

They haven’t talked about Maker. I called it when people were asking why Howard was on his list. I said he must have an affinity for the idea of attending an HBCU. Bingo.

BTW, commenter “Tony Montana” said on a Maker thread (paraphrasing) “Why do all of you say ‘Well he stinks anyway’ when someone goes elsewhere?” However, when I read the rest of the comments, there was not 1 single criticism of Maker’s ability, only some pointing out how bad Howard’s team is and the minimal exposure he would have there. According to one commenter, they only won like 2 – 4 games last year. Obviously they’ll win more than that this year, IF he plays there, and especially if he gets the other prospect to follow him there and we actually have college bball.

11:16 am July 6, 2020 Permalink

I guess I respect him if he wants to make a social statement by attending a HBC, but it may affect his draft status. Good luck to him anyway. Like was said, at least he didn’t go to dook or Hairpiece-U.

• Laker Cat 18
      11:19 am July 6, 2020 Permalink

The thing with the HBCU’s is that it will take multiple commitments going to one school to make noise. Howard will probably run the conference table and get into the tournament as a 12-16 seed, but they’ll still get bounced by a Power 5 in the first round most likely. Odds are still against them.

To add to that, is Coach “HBCU” going to push you for the NBA draft more than the guys who put more bodies in the NBA than anyone? Not saying they won’t be drafted, but I can see them going from top 5 to top 20 because of where he chose to attend school. That’s millions of dollars in difference.

• runningunnin.454
      11:20 am July 6, 2020 Permalink

I have it on good authority that Cliff Huxtable actually played football and ran track at Hillman College…but does it exist?
      He also attended Medical School at HBCU Meharry College…which does exist.
      I really doubt that Maker plays at Howard.

11:27 am July 6, 2020 Permalink

That the thing. If he actually plays there, then he’s an example of someone actually doing something, instead of just spouting off on social media. I would admire that. But if he chooses to skip to the next level then it was a hollow gesture.

15. ClutchCargo
    11:29 am July 6, 2020 Permalink

Matt having no clue about Holsteins. Who saw that coming?

16. runningunnin.454
    11:30 am July 6, 2020 Permalink

Kevin Skinner is really good; reminds me of George Strait.

17. runningunnin.454
    11:44 am July 6, 2020 Permalink

You don’t have to be black to attend an HBCU; back in Kentucky State’s heyday with Grant and Smith, they had a white point guard. Forget his name, but he is still one of the best PGs I’ve ever seen in person.

18. RealCatsFan
    11:53 am July 6, 2020 Permalink

That infamous episode of 60 Minutes where they did the piece on chicken processing plants and the “fecal soup” made a LOT of people permanently lose their appetite for chicken.