KSR Show Thread 7/31: Plenty to talk about

Good morning, friends, and welcome to the Friday edition of Kentucky Sports Radio, which is a busy one. Today, the gang will talk about Travis York stealing Shannon the Dude’s thunder by completing the 50-mile challenge, the news that the SEC is moving to a 10-game conference-only schedule, the NBA restart, and maybe even Johnson County, the next county up in our virtual tour of the Bluegrass.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

86 Comments for KSR Show Thread 7/31: Plenty to talk about

1. Realme
    10:00 am July 31, 2020 Permalink

I’m going back to work! And we have a football season. Has 2020 stopped being such a monster?

• runningunnin.454
      10:04 am July 31, 2020 Permalink

Happy for you…but, keep your left hand up; expect the unexpected.

10:09 am July 31, 2020 Permalink

Great to hear, RM! Uncertainty about that kind of thing (work) is the worst.

• Realme
      10:14 am July 31, 2020 Permalink

Thanks I am very relieved.

10:24 am July 31, 2020 Permalink

Yaaaaaay!

Since UK gets to keep the Guv Cup another year, do we get to claim we crushed UL again in 2020? #LsDown4Evah

10:27 am July 31, 2020 Permalink

I’m not at all happy that we don’t get to beat UofL on the field again this year. Their fans are going to be chirping that they would have won this year.

10:29 am July 31, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, I don’t understand why the SEC didn’t work with the ACC, but oh well.

10:46 am July 31, 2020 Permalink

Glad you got some good news, rm! Mrs RCF has been a little nervous about her job, and they have a big department meeting on Zoom today. Hopefully some good news will come out of it.

I have been pretty worried about my job as well. Having trouble getting product to sell, which tends to strangle you, plus getting squashed by Google shopping’s mindless bot campaign against the word “mask” is killing us.

• Realme
      10:56 am July 31, 2020 Permalink

Thanks, I hope both of your jobs are able to ride this out.

11:05 am July 31, 2020 Permalink

I hope you guys can ride this out, RCF. Aren’t you involved with some type of medical supply sales? Of all the industries to be struggling right now!

11:12 am July 31, 2020 Permalink

I sell CPAP equipment, both locally and over the internet. It was a great business to be in the first 5 or so years. Then the insurance companies started cutting how much they would reimburse us for the products, and then Medicare went to a competitive bid system that caused us to get squeezed out by the big, mindless corporations like Apria. We were doing OK with our online business, but with COVID and other factors it has become difficult to get some of the items that we sell, and getting snuffed by Google means it’s hard for our customers to find us. It’s an amazingly cutthroat business – I was surprised when I first got into it.

11:22 am July 31, 2020 Permalink

It sounds like you want more interruptions during the show unlike at one time.

2. runningunnin.454
    10:02 am July 31, 2020 Permalink

Awright now; the “I Am Human” thing said click each picture with a plane…and there were zero planes; ZERO. Thought about going back to bed.

• Realme
      10:07 am July 31, 2020 Permalink

It is definitely messing with us.

10:10 am July 31, 2020 Permalink

I logged in with a different laptop yesterday and the same thing happened to me. There were no pictures with cars and no way to continue, so I had to start over.

10:26 am July 31, 2020 Permalink

My biggest problem was when I logged in with my phone. You really can’t distinguish between a motorbus and a train car. If you’re going to say select pics with a motorbus, then the rest should be boats, cars, and/or planes.

10:33 am July 31, 2020 Permalink

I’m not sure it even cares all that much about how you respond. I think I let a train car slide as being a car and it still let me in.

10:39 am July 31, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, it tried to pull a fast one with the bike thing on me as well. I clicked refresh, and then passed the motorcycle test on the first try. 🙂

11:31 am July 31, 2020 Permalink

And when I logged back in a few minutes ago on the PC, even then I could barely see that there was a small passenger plane hidden behind a tree. It actually looked like a photoshop the way it was blurred in the background. Can a bot actually get past that if they don’t blur at least one pic?

3. mashburnfan1
    10:07 am July 31, 2020 Permalink

See if you can confirm the report we will be adding LSU and Ole Miss in football.

• runningunnin.454
      10:21 am July 31, 2020 Permalink

I think they said they were not going to use that format; it would disrupt the ’21 and ’22 schedules.

4. Laker Cat 18
    10:09 am July 31, 2020 Permalink

From now on, it’s just ST. Shannon is no longer a Dude.

10:11 am July 31, 2020 Permalink

That guy running the route that STD was going walk was just pure savagery.

10:14 am July 31, 2020 Permalink

Shannon the Dud. lol

• Realme
      10:15 am July 31, 2020 Permalink

Ha ha ha. If Shannon was there, this guy would have been held back!

• Laker Cat 18
      10:18 am July 31, 2020 Permalink

In under 10 hours too…I’m not sure Shannon The will finish in his 20.

• Realme
      10:20 am July 31, 2020 Permalink

I like how Matt made the weather sound extremely dangerous yesterday and essentially talked Shannon out of it, so that he can give him a terrible time today.

10:39 am July 31, 2020 Permalink

They should have used the picture of him in the Doroty dress for the ST today. In fact, someone needs to tweet that one to Matt. 😀

5. Realme
    10:18 am July 31, 2020 Permalink

New life bird yesterday. Great Egret. Probably ho hum to you lake guys, but I was excited.

11:25 am July 31, 2020 Permalink

I saw a link to an article about birding trails in Bama on FB. If I can find the link I’ll share. I really want to do the trails on Dauphin Island and at Bon Secour. Bon Secour is a community on a waterway just north of Gulf Shores. You can eat at restaurants and go to fresh fish stores that get stuff from the Bon Secour river as well as the Gulf.

11:59 am July 31, 2020 Permalink

Those big pterodactyl-like birds are always cool to see.

This has nothing to do with great egrets, but I was in a tiny little town in south Texas called Rio Grande City for work several years ago (before I really knew or cared about birds). Apparently it’s a Mecca for bird watchers during the winter months, but I was there in the middle of summer.

6. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:23 am July 31, 2020 Permalink

Tired of negative stories? Here’s a feel-good one:Georgia Inmates Save Prison Guard Who Suffered Heart Attack
    #AllLivesMatterWhetherBlueBlackWhiteEtc

10:40 am July 31, 2020 Permalink

I saw that one, and it is uplifitng. I hope those inmates that helped him out will get some time taken off their sentences.

11:21 am July 31, 2020 Permalink

I agree. I actually got a little misty when the prisoners in the video were talking about saving a life.

11:35 am July 31, 2020 Permalink

That’s a nice story that certainly does illustrate that convicts are still human beings. Without knowing the background story of why they are locked up, I don’t know that it warrants knocking time off their sentences, but I think it is a great example of “good behavior” which usually does end up shortening the sentence.

11:41 am July 31, 2020 Permalink

I would think that guard would testify on their behalf when and if there is opportunity at a parole hearing.

7. runningunnin.454
    10:25 am July 31, 2020 Permalink

Well, if Matt is going to give STD such a hard time, let’s see him get out there. Talk is cheap.

10:28 am July 31, 2020 Permalink

It’s like when they made fun of Ryan for freaking out early about Covid, then 2 weeks later Matt’s pounding on people who disagreed on the extreme nature of the lockdowns.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:34 am July 31, 2020 Permalink

I saw Matt making fun of Clay Travis’ SEC football turnaround yesterday. Matt does the exact same thing he criticizes others for. It’s crazy.

10:37 am July 31, 2020 Permalink

Agree. Trash talk is lame coming from people who can’t or won’t do it either.

8. peaches76
    10:29 am July 31, 2020 Permalink

Matt, shame on you! Why not offer Travis and his wife a meal at KSBar for his effort last night AND wedding anniversary today?!! Come on man!

• Realme
      10:31 am July 31, 2020 Permalink

For real.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:35 am July 31, 2020 Permalink

Matt doesn’t know what it means to have an anniversary. That’s why he’ll never get married. His lady will figure that out the hard way after a lot of time has been invested.

• Realme
      10:38 am July 31, 2020 Permalink

I don’t know know, he seems pretty serious about her. Should have proposed by now, obviously, but maybe he wants to be wait until life is more normal.

10:40 am July 31, 2020 Permalink

Matt is probably waiting for her to propose.

10:43 am July 31, 2020 Permalink

Hopefully Matt is not as wishy-washy about his relationship as he was about running for office. He needs to poop or get off the pot (as my aunt used to say.)

• Laker Cat 18
      10:49 am July 31, 2020 Permalink

Guys like Matt are scared of commitment. Hopefully he’ll learn the ropes, but I’m not betting on it.

• Realme
      10:53 am July 31, 2020 Permalink

Ha ha Clutch, that’s good.

• runningunnin.454
      10:57 am July 31, 2020 Permalink

There’s always Leap Year; he would be sweating like a pig.

9. runningunnin.454
    10:40 am July 31, 2020 Permalink

Some knucklehead Dookie fan is saying we will be 4-6 with the SEC only season; can’t get easy wins with EKU and Central Michigan. He may be right; but, we don’t play in the weak a$$ ACC. We also don’t hold the record for most WINLESS seasons, and we don’t have a losing record in our bowl games, historically.

10:43 am July 31, 2020 Permalink

ALL dookie fans are knuckleheads, right?

• runningunnin.454
      10:51 am July 31, 2020 Permalink

Good point!

11:15 am July 31, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, the ACC is a 1 team league with FSU down. Apparently UNCheat is supposed to be pretty good this year, but I don’t know how good.

11:33 am July 31, 2020 Permalink

I forgot: isn’t VA Tech in the ACC? Of course, they lost the august Bud Foster and will never be the same. Heh.

11:43 am July 31, 2020 Permalink

The more I hear about VA Tech the less I like them. And it’s weird because I had no opinion at all about them until the build-up to the bowl game. I heard their star cornerback (?) recently decided to sit out this season, not because of COVID-19 concerns, to avoid injury and prep for the NFL draft. I can’t see that happening at UK, but hopefully I didn’t just jinx us.

11:59 am July 31, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, the dust-ups with Lynn were not a good look at all.

12:28 pm July 31, 2020 Permalink

I’m so glad we beat the hokey “Hokie’s”.

10. ClutchCargo
    10:45 am July 31, 2020 Permalink

This is my biggest gripe about Mitch. He doesn’t fight, seemingly at all, when he isn’t the one with the final say in how things will go. But give him veto power and he can dig in with the best of them.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:46 am July 31, 2020 Permalink

I’m the same way. He knew it wouldn’t pass, but voted with the “good ole boy” system to not stand out.

10:49 am July 31, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, I think Mitch is really a nice guy, the kind of guy you would love to have as a neighbor or maybe even a boss, but sometimes he is a little too, ahem, “milquetoast” when stepping up to the plate for UK. As much as I hated him, that is one thing I kind of admired about Jurich – he was crooked as hell and an arrogant a-hole, but he was also very aggressive about getting things for U-6.

11:00 am July 31, 2020 Permalink

I think Mitch would be a bad boss, quite honestly. I couldn’t respect a boss who I couldn’t trust to have my back if needed. Maybe I’m making more of it than it really is, but there have been too many times that he had influence (NCAA selection committee for instance) and we still get screwed.

11:14 am July 31, 2020 Permalink

But they have to leave the room when their school is talked about. I don’t know if they have a gag order to not even speak about your team informally over lunch or anything.

• runningunnin.454
      11:14 am July 31, 2020 Permalink

But, he can’t be in the room when the tournament selection committee discusses UK, can he?

11:25 am July 31, 2020 Permalink

I’m sure ya’ll are right about having to leave the room. But I would think “influence” would extend beyond just that specific discussion. I can’t think of another blue chip program that gets consistently screwed in the selection process like UK does. Mitch didn’t start that trend, but he hasn’t done much to correct it, either.

11. RealCatsFan
    11:18 am July 31, 2020 Permalink

Is John Pelphrey still coaching anywhere? When he was an assistant under Donovan, I was really hopeful that he would develop as an outstanding coach and maybe end up at UK someday. Seems like he has fallen off he radar.

11:19 am July 31, 2020 Permalink

Assistant at Bama most recently. I don’t if he’s still there for this year.

• runningunnin.454
      11:20 am July 31, 2020 Permalink

I think he’s hc at Tennessee Tech.

11:27 am July 31, 2020 Permalink

Cool! I have a friend in Celina, TN who got his master’s there and he teaches at Vol State CC. Saul Smith was an assistant there once, but I don’t remember who the HC was.

12. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    11:19 am July 31, 2020 Permalink

Matt talking about Crystal Gayle’s hair: it was gorgeous IMO. I love long hair on a lady, especially curly, but hers was very straight. I used to hear some ladies ironed their hair to straighten it as much as possible. I wondered if she did that.

Trivia: years ago me, my parents, and a sister saw Eddie Rabbit in concert. We were actually there more to see Exile open for him because we knew Les Taylor when I was a kid, and he had recently joined the band and they had just gone country. Anyway, when it was time for Eddie to sing “Just You and I” (his duet with Crystal), he joked that her voice was on tape and sometimes they didn’t launch the tape at the right time. When it was perfect, he nodded his head and gave his crew a smile.

13. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    11:35 am July 31, 2020 Permalink

RCF, I’m off today again. I could not mount the new range hood the other day because it turned out the exhaust port and the screw holes are placed differently on the new one, and I don’t have a jigsaw to go cutting into a cabinet. You probably do because you sound like someone who can do it all. Anyway, we’re going to pay a handyman 50 bucks to do it. He does good work.

11:39 am July 31, 2020 Permalink

I’m pretty stubborn about thinking I can just do something like that myself, but that’s a wise choice to bring in a pro. I’m motivated by the challenge of not having something like that standing as a monument to my incompetence, but sometimes the risk/reward just isn’t worth it.

11:40 am July 31, 2020 Permalink

11:42 am July 31, 2020 Permalink

I always hate it when i break down and hire a pro and they come in and make it look so easy that I’m like, duh, I could have done that! But much worse is when you hire someone and they FUBAR it for you. (I am now in the THIRD try for the exhaust system on the convertible. I wish I had just bought the pre-bent kit and installed it myself.)

11:46 am July 31, 2020 Permalink

70 bucks for a tool I may never use again though. That’s more expensive than Mr. Handyman. However, I wonder if Harbor Freight has a cheaper yet still decent one. Hmmm…

11:51 am July 31, 2020 Permalink

Buy it and sell it right after you’re done with it. Tools are fairly “liquid” if they are still in good shape. I found a tremendous deal on Craigslist on a utility trailer to help with a move, with plans to sell it shortly thereafter and come out ahead. But I ended up keeping it because I kept needing it for other things. But I have successfully flipped nail guns and the like in the past.

11:53 am July 31, 2020 Permalink

Wow! I just watched the video of that tool in operation. I definitely will look at that if I ever decide to tackle something like this. That’s especially impressive that you can cut sheet metal and tile with it.

11:54 am July 31, 2020 Permalink

And to cut perfect circles with the tool that turns it basically into a compass with a cutting tool instead of a pencil!

12:27 pm July 31, 2020 Permalink

I love tools! I start grunting like Tim Taylor on “Tool Time” every time I walk through the tool department. 🙂

12:29 pm July 31, 2020 Permalink

If you’re still there, I found a cheaper (of course not as heavy duty) version at Harbor Freight:

I could get it for 20 bucks with a coupon, but they don’t claim it will cut metal, and it doesn’t appear to come with an accessory for doing perfect circles.

14. runningunnin.454
    11:39 am July 31, 2020 Permalink

Coal Miner’s Daughter was an excellent movie; Sissy Spacek sang all the songs, and won the Academy Award for Best Actress,

11:44 am July 31, 2020 Permalink

I didn’t know Sissy actually sang, or forgot if I did. I’m glad they didn’t decide to play with the story and have Sissy kill the whole audience like she did at the dance in Carrie. Haha.

15. Laker Cat 18
    11:41 am July 31, 2020 Permalink

Looks like storms/rain all day today and tomorrow over Lake Cumberland. No lake for me this weekend…

11:44 am July 31, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, that means the river is going to be all screwed up, so probably not going out on the water this weekend. I am sure glad that the Street Rod Nationals is next week and not this week. Actually, I am kind of shocked that they are actually having it this year.

• runningunnin.454
      11:49 am July 31, 2020 Permalink

I believe this is the wettest July I’ve ever seen.

16. classof68
    11:47 am July 31, 2020 Permalink

Matt is such an expert on UFO’s. Yet he’s never heard of the 1997 “Phoenix Lights”. Or the “1942 attack on LA.”

17. ClutchCargo
    11:53 am July 31, 2020 Permalink

I had to go somewhere for work yesterday and wear pants. It surprised me how weird that felt. Both going somewhere and having long pants on.