KSR Show Thread 7/30: Are you ready to walk?

Tonight Shannon The Dude is scheduled to embark on the ultimate endurance test by walking 50 miles in 20 hours. Can he do it? Will the weather stop him in his tracks? All of those questions will be answered and more on Thursday’s edition of Kentucky Sports Radio that will also shine a spotlight on Jessamine County and preview the NBA restart.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

83 Comments for KSR Show Thread 7/30: Are you ready to walk?

1. Realme
    10:00 am July 30, 2020 Permalink

Wow I just failed the choose the pictures with a boat captcha thing so many times. Happy Friday.

• Realme
      10:01 am July 30, 2020 Permalink

I know the thing says Thursday, but I am positive Thursday was yesterday.

10:04 am July 30, 2020 Permalink

Grab some coffee and just start over, Realme. πŸ™‚

• runningunnin.454
      10:04 am July 30, 2020 Permalink

Ha ha, “are you a human”? There goes 1/3 of the KSR commenters.

• Realme
      10:05 am July 30, 2020 Permalink

Or I could just go back to bed.

10:07 am July 30, 2020 Permalink

If it ever becomes “are you a knucklehead?”, there goes a whole bunch of the humans.

10:09 am July 30, 2020 Permalink

I am known for being a grumpy zombie in the morning before I have had my caffeine, so I can relate.

10:10 am July 30, 2020 Permalink

Y’all beat me. I was going to start off saying I’m glad KSR has declared me human. Last night I tried to log in and couldn’t and said “Whaaaaa?” Then I noticed they’ve gotten on the “Captcha” train. I’ve noticed a 1 or 2 “canned meat” comments getting through lately, so I guess that’s why. Back in the old days those things were posted by the dozens or hundreds on one thread, and with the same text I think sometimes.

10:12 am July 30, 2020 Permalink

I haven’t even seen the Captcha thing. I guess my humanity is obvious.

2. runningunnin.454
    10:03 am July 30, 2020 Permalink

Some guy named Jon Rothstein has UK basketball at No. 15 preseason. He also has Olivier Sarr listed as a “sit out” transfer; whaaat? How could he know that before the ruling? And, does anyone expect that he would sit out this coming season, and come back the next year? I don’t think so.

• Realme
      10:03 am July 30, 2020 Permalink

Rothie must want attention.

10:05 am July 30, 2020 Permalink

I guess he is presumed not eligible until he officially gets the waiver. Makes sense to me, I suppose.

10:11 am July 30, 2020 Permalink

It’s like that website that posted that Biden has chosen Harris as his running mate then quickly took it down.

3. Realme
    10:08 am July 30, 2020 Permalink

One of my best friends is moving from Jessamine County (Booooooooooo 2020!!!!!!!!!!!!) and I would totally be trying to buy her amazing house but I can’t because I’m 50/50 about going back to work vs being fired at any time.

• RealCatsFan
      10:21 am July 30, 2020 Permalink

I feel your pain. A friend of mine is selling his house too – I would love to buy it, but I don’t have $565K. Beautiful house on 4 acres, two ponds, and an absolute gearhead’s delight garage out back – room for 10 cars, lift, even has a grease pit! It had a contract within days of when it was listed, so that is probably cheap. Still too rich for my blood. They built an absolute palace on Norris Lake. Some people have it all figured out.

10:25 am July 30, 2020 Permalink

I wish I could say I was the one buying that house, RCF. With a shop, ponds, etc. like that, I might never go inside the house.

• Realme
      10:29 am July 30, 2020 Permalink

That sounds like your dream house. This is only a third of that but is surrounded by farmland and a great old house. Peace and quiet, room to garden, all the trees, horses for neighbors, huge covered patio entertaining area. Sounds so good watching Lexington get more crowded every day.

10:38 am July 30, 2020 Permalink

My wife likes to watch some show about realtors in LA (“Million Dollar House” or something like that). Some of those houses go for 20 million or more (the other night there was one going for 75 million, but the show ended without it being sold…”To be continued!”), so those realtors are rich rich themselves because of selling such expensive homes.

• RealCatsFan
      10:39 am July 30, 2020 Permalink

RM, Mrs RCF might never see me again if we moved in there. πŸ˜‰

4. runningunnin.454
    10:09 am July 30, 2020 Permalink

HOF Illinois coach Lou Henson passed away. I think he was the coach that called it Corrupt Arena after the Illini lost to us at Rupp in a Regional Final in the early ’80’s.

10:14 am July 30, 2020 Permalink

I didn’t know about that nickname (which is clever BTW), but yeah, I remember him complaining about the home court advantage. I think it was after that they no longer let anyone play on their home courts, at least in certain rounds. Never mind Dook and UNCheat getting to play in their back yards every year.

• RealCatsFan
      10:24 am July 30, 2020 Permalink

I have heard that nickname from Louisville fans for many, many years.

10:26 am July 30, 2020 Permalink

I’m a little sad I can’t say Cheat ’em Hall nowadays.

5. Realme
    10:11 am July 30, 2020 Permalink

Shocker, a ksr plan not coming to fruition.

• runningunnin.454
      10:13 am July 30, 2020 Permalink

Need to postpone STD walk until the Fall; C’MON!

• Realme
      10:13 am July 30, 2020 Permalink

I’ve done a couple thunderstorm walks recently. Sure lightning danger, but it’s way cooler to be wet in the wind than being baked by the sun.

10:15 am July 30, 2020 Permalink

I just missed that part. Why are they postponing?

• Realme
      10:21 am July 30, 2020 Permalink

Weather forecast.

10:23 am July 30, 2020 Permalink

Terrible weather is a great time for awesome stuff to happen. I learned that last football season.

• RealCatsFan
      10:23 am July 30, 2020 Permalink

I ran the KY derby mini marathon one year in a driving thunderstorm. Had to run through water 4 inches deep going into Iroquois Park, and my feet squished the rest of the way. Ended up with blisters the size of silver dollars on my feet. The kicker – I forgot my number bib, so I didn’t even get credit for completing the run.

6. runningunnin.454
    10:22 am July 30, 2020 Permalink

LSU on upset watch? I would take them in a gotcha game.

7. JTHinton
    10:25 am July 30, 2020 Permalink

Couple thoughts abt the new CFB schedule:

1) If we play 10 SEC games and one in-State Power5 rival, why not just add one more in-State G5/FCS school to complete the schedule and get to 12 games? That would rly help out G5/FCS athletic desperate in desperate need of cash …

2) 10 conferences games is here to stay, permanently. I saw where in 2017, the SEC spent a total of $45 million on β€œbuy” games … Power5 wanted an excuse to end those games and we now have it with COVID.

8. RealCatsFan
    10:29 am July 30, 2020 Permalink

So I got coaxed into a nerd fight on the BTI thread about names to retire at Rupp Arena. I submitted that Tubby needs to be up there in the rafters alongside the other championship coaches. Cal should go up there too, but after his coaching tenure has ended. It was kind of surprising to me the people who don’t want to give the man any credit for winning that 98 Natty. Don’t forget that he was national coach of the year three times, and was a double OT away from a 2nd FF. I stated that it is going to be a bad look for us to put Cal up there and leave Tubby out. We already have that “image of racism” associated with UK Basketball, after all. (Where is my eyeroll emoji?)

• runningunnin.454
      10:32 am July 30, 2020 Permalink

Agree, not a good look to snub Tubby.

10:35 am July 30, 2020 Permalink

Yes, Tubby should absolutely be up there (well, his name…haha). It’s like so many have said: Rupp is the only coach to win multiple nattys at UK. Retire Tubby’s name/jersey and bring him back! Another thing: he never went out and embarrassed himself afterwards the way Pitino did.

10:36 am July 30, 2020 Permalink

While I have always felt Tubby was kind of along for the ride on a 3rd straight title game appearance, I have also always believed Pitino would not have won with that team. Regardless, I don’t see how a coach who won a title wouldn’t be in the rafters. I’m sure it will happen eventually.

• RealCatsFan
      10:38 am July 30, 2020 Permalink

Tubby is getting up there. I would hate to see them wait until after he passes away. Hopefully he will be along for many years to come, but there are no guarantees in life. I just don’t understand what the holdup is about.

10:39 am July 30, 2020 Permalink

I still say Tubby did a great job with that team. His koaching (heh) against Kount K was awesome.

10:41 am July 30, 2020 Permalink

I would love to see him walk out on the court and get the standing ovation he deserves, even as the opposing coach. I agree the recognition needs to happen while he is still around.

• Realme
      10:41 am July 30, 2020 Permalink

Well they recently put him in the HOF, that’s the first step.

• runningunnin.454
      10:44 am July 30, 2020 Permalink

Agree about Tubby’s contribution to that ’98 season, even tho’ he didn’t recruit the guys; he had that team in tip top physical shape. That was obvious in many, many games that season, especially the title game…Utah was completely gassed.
      And, the Dookie game was a masterpiece.

• RealCatsFan
      10:47 am July 30, 2020 Permalink

cg, I think Wayne Turner just blew by Wojo again. πŸ˜€

10:50 am July 30, 2020 Permalink

Was Wojo slapping the floor as it happened? lol

11:28 am July 30, 2020 Permalink

Can I reply? Comments keep going poof.

11:31 am July 30, 2020 Permalink

Clutch, I’m like you yesterday. All of a sudden can’t comment on PC but can on phone. We’re back to that mess again.

Anyway, the year after that Duke game, CBS or ESPN ran a b-ball promo where Wojo was in a doc office in his uni. They were drawing his blood and it was blue. I screamed β€œTHAT SHOULD BE WAYNE TURNER!!!”

11:33 am July 30, 2020 Permalink

Testing!

• 4everUKBlue
      11:34 am July 30, 2020 Permalink

No one coaxed you RCF, you stated your opinion and I stated mine and I made sure not to post my opinion as a response to yours and also made sure to state it was my just my opinion. I don’t believe race or fear of being accused of racism should be criteria for honoring a person for anything.

11:36 am July 30, 2020 Permalink

I think I know what was going on. Even though I was still logged in, the Captcha N-a-z-i-s don’t like a certain period of inactivity I guess, and I also had to close the browser and THEN log back in. It wasn’t enough to just log out and back in.

• RealCatsFan
      11:44 am July 30, 2020 Permalink

Fair enough, 4ever. I simply stated that I think tubby has done enough to have his jersey up there, and that enemies of the program are going to seize on that angle if it doesn’t happen. You can bet your bottom dollar on that. Not saying that would be right or fair, but I also IMO it is not right or fair that a championship coach is overlooked. Like I said, I guess we are going to agree to disagree, and there’s nothing wrong with that.

• 4everUKBlue
      11:47 am July 30, 2020 Permalink

RCF, you are entitled to your opinion and I respect your opinion, but my opinion is different and I am entitled to that as well.

• 4everUKBlue
      11:50 am July 30, 2020 Permalink

If BCG had won a championship in his two years should he be put in the rafters?

• Realme
      11:52 am July 30, 2020 Permalink

Hell yeah. Championship = Rafters.

• 4everUKBlue
      11:54 am July 30, 2020 Permalink

Well hell then let’s put all the team members who won a championship in the rafters.

• Realme
      11:58 am July 30, 2020 Permalink

Nah just head coaches and key players.

• 4everUKBlue
      12:00 pm July 30, 2020 Permalink

That would not be fair, it doesn’t happen with out the team.

• RealCatsFan
      12:02 pm July 30, 2020 Permalink

I think any coach who brings a national title home to UK should have a jersey in the rafters. It’s another thing we can brag about – no other school has won as many championships with as many different coaches. It demonstrates continued, sustained excellence – not a one-trick(coach) pony like some other programs.

• 4everUKBlue
      12:05 pm July 30, 2020 Permalink

What if Eddie Sutton had won a championship the year before getting us the death penalty? Would that equal rafters?

• 4everUKBlue
      12:06 pm July 30, 2020 Permalink

Like I said RCF, I respect your opinion.

• RealCatsFan
      1:37 pm July 30, 2020 Permalink

HaHa, we could come up with scenarios like that all day. What if Rupp had shot someone the year after winning his last natty? What if Pitino had gone to coach for a bitter rival and banged some skank on a restaurant table? (Oh, wait) πŸ™‚

I respect your opinion as well. Like I said, we will just have to agree to disagree. πŸ™‚

1:38 pm July 30, 2020 Permalink

4ever, if my aunt had testicles she would be my uncle. We can argue hypotheticals all day, but the fact is those guys didn’t win a title, so it doesn’t matter. But if they had, then I believe they would have earned that jersey in the rafters distinction.

• 4everUKBlue
      2:41 pm July 30, 2020 Permalink

But Sutton DID get us the death penalty, he just didn’t win a championship, so the only hypothetical is that what if he won a championship. I just don’t think that JUST winning a championship should be the only criteria and if it is then the whole team should be in the rafters as well, because each one of them contributed to that trophy. I just think that if Tubby had followed Sutton and not Pitino the would not have a championship, hell any number of good but not great coaches could’ve won with the team Tubby inherited. And that is just my opinion.

• 4everUKBlue
      2:43 pm July 30, 2020 Permalink

Your “what if Rupp had shot someone” scenario is quite a stretch.

9. RealCatsFan
    10:40 am July 30, 2020 Permalink

Sad to hear about Herman Caine passing away. And apparently from Coronavirus. It’s sad, but you can guarantee it will be turned into a political thing, especially since he attended Trump’s rally.

10:53 am July 30, 2020 Permalink

That is sad, he always seemed like a good guy. The type that was too honest and sincere to make it as a Presidential candidate. But every time I hear his name now, I can’t help but remember this: https://youtu.be/bTevqK56cxw?t=80 πŸ™‚

11:39 am July 30, 2020 Permalink

I know someone named Candy (short for Candace actually). Her last name: Cain. I kid you not.

• RealCatsFan
      11:59 am July 30, 2020 Permalink

Whenever I hear the name “Candy Cane”, I always think of the creepy truck driver in the film “Joy Ride”.

• 4everUKBlue
      2:58 pm July 30, 2020 Permalink

And btw, why is it apparent he died from coronavirus and not with it? Was there an autopsy? You realize if you die from cancer, after having tested positive for coronavirus, using any one of the 5 unreliable tests, you will be coded as a coronavirus death?

10. RealCatsFan
    10:46 am July 30, 2020 Permalink

I can think of few things less appetizing than carrying a toenail around with you. That must have impressed the ladies, Matt! πŸ™‚

• Realme
      10:52 am July 30, 2020 Permalink

I don’t get why he would still admit that now. Just wrong.

10:59 am July 30, 2020 Permalink

In his wallet, of all places. Note to self: never accept cash from Matt, if that situation ever comes up.

11. runningunnin.454
    10:55 am July 30, 2020 Permalink

Lunardi’s latest bracket is absurd; especially if Sarr can play; no way we’re a 4 seed with him. And, even without Sarr, why would they send us to a remote venue like Idaho? Even tho’ UK fans travel, that would be a stretch. They could fill up Indy and New Orleans. IF fans are allowed, that is.
    I don’t understand why we can’t play in Louisville; UNCheat and Dook routinely play tournament games in their home state.

• RealCatsFan
      11:13 am July 30, 2020 Permalink

rg, it’s because we’re not UNCheat or dook.

• runningunnin.454
      11:20 am July 30, 2020 Permalink

Thankfully; I would be embarrassed and have to leave the country. I would carry a basketball, and settle at the first place they asked, “what’s that”?

12. RealCatsFan
    11:16 am July 30, 2020 Permalink

I read somewhere that Harry Houdini was also a locksmith and had the key to every type of lock made at the time. Hence his propensity for escapism.

• runningunnin.454
      11:31 am July 30, 2020 Permalink

I think Houdini challenged a guy to hit him as hard as he could in the stomach. He died several days later from a ruptured appendix.

13. RealCatsFan
    11:28 am July 30, 2020 Permalink

I think John Short needs a CPAP machine. Daytime sleepiness is a hallmark of sleep apnea.

14. Realme
    11:28 am July 30, 2020 Permalink

I think the water tower mascot is awesome.

11:40 am July 30, 2020 Permalink

It’s kind of creepy and awesome at the same time. At least he/she is obeying the mask order!

• Realme
      11:44 am July 30, 2020 Permalink

I think all mascots should be weird or funny.

15. 4everUKBlue
    11:35 am July 30, 2020 Permalink

Here’s a fun experiment. Go to google and type any three digit number followed by new cases and watch what happens.

16. Realme
    11:37 am July 30, 2020 Permalink

Sigh. Stupidest smart person there is.