KSR Show Thread 7/29: Jefferson County Spotlight

Good morning, friends, and welcome to the Wednesday edition of Kentucky Sports Radio. Today, the gang will chat about the very sad Cincinnati Reds, the MLB “fight” last night, the new season of “Last Chance U,” Shannon’s walk tomorrow, and Jefferson County, the subject of today’s Blue Lights Across The Bluegrass Virtual Summer Tour. Ls Down.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

74 Comments for KSR Show Thread 7/29: Jefferson County Spotlight

1. runningunnin.454
    10:06 am July 29, 2020 Permalink

Wow, Bam scored 16 points after battling that insidious virulent deadly disease. Go, Bam.

10:10 am July 29, 2020 Permalink

Kung-Flu game? (might be what the POTUS would call it.) 😉

10:14 am July 29, 2020 Permalink

And on a more serious note, found out yesterday that an old volleyball friend has been battling COVID for the last 3 weeks. Not life threatening, but could have easily taken a bad turn. He has pneumonia, which was picked up on a CT scan after a couple of false negative tests. And he is a “Mr Fitness” kind of guy – can’t think of too many guys in their early 50’s in the kind of shape he is in. I know the odds of actually dying from this are relatively long for most of us, but the seemingly random way it hurts certain formerly healthy people hard is kind of scary.

2. Realme
    10:15 am July 29, 2020 Permalink

Suck it, Rooferee. You overly dramatic bleep.

• Realme
      10:17 am July 29, 2020 Permalink

I give Matt a lot of grief, but I respect him for not giving in and settling to make it all go away.

• runningunnin.454
      10:18 am July 29, 2020 Permalink

What happened? They had to pay the guy? Hope not.

10:19 am July 29, 2020 Permalink

Filing lawsuits has kind of turned into the way to take a grudge out on people and harass them. Back in the day, you would just drive by their house at night and egg it.

10:19 am July 29, 2020 Permalink

The fact that his name is so recognizable (not to mention that he has a nickname) is a huge red flag for being a terrible referee. I don’t condone people going after him in his personal life, but yeah, he can suck it.

• Realme
      10:20 am July 29, 2020 Permalink

No RG, he is finally done suing and appealing and stuff.

10:20 am July 29, 2020 Permalink

It was dismissed, rg.

• runningunnin.454
      10:31 am July 29, 2020 Permalink

I thought it was dismissed a long time ago; wondered why he was talking about it now.

• Realme
      10:34 am July 29, 2020 Permalink

Higgins is finally out of options to drag it out.

3. Laker Cat 18
    10:18 am July 29, 2020 Permalink

High school sports are back! (For now.)

10:22 am July 29, 2020 Permalink

Fingers crossed. Mask up everyone, so it stays that way.

11:24 am July 29, 2020 Permalink

So they discussed the double and triple headers in volleyball for the freshman & JV games. He kind of left the possibility open if the building could be vacated and cleaned between matches. Not sure if that would be feasible, but the idea is interesting.

4. Laker Cat 18
    10:19 am July 29, 2020 Permalink

Matt is playing golf this morning. He’s teeing off on all these cowards.

10:21 am July 29, 2020 Permalink

Maybe Matt and Drew should sue Forde and company.

10:28 am July 29, 2020 Permalink

I agree it is totally outrageous that this lawsuit even happened. But why is Matt acting like he has no idea how the media works. It was a story when the lawsuit was filed. It’s less interesting to people when it just quietly goes away.

5. runningunnin.454
    10:20 am July 29, 2020 Permalink

Matt had a photo shoot with SI? Did he meet any supermodels?

10:22 am July 29, 2020 Permalink

Ryan would probably creep them all away. 🙂

10:26 am July 29, 2020 Permalink

Please let it not be the Body Issue. lol

• Realme
      10:26 am July 29, 2020 Permalink

Oooh uggghhhhhhh.

6. Realme
    10:22 am July 29, 2020 Permalink

Have you guys been seeing these clips where people put their faces on videos of wrestlers and Tiger King stars? They are too creepy and I need it to stop.

10:25 am July 29, 2020 Permalink

Quitting Facebook and rarely going on Twitter has me somewhat insulated from that stuff. It does sound creepy, though.

10:28 am July 29, 2020 Permalink

nope.

7. RealCatsFan
    10:30 am July 29, 2020 Permalink

So if someone sues you and you win, shouldn’t the party who files the lawsuit have to cover ALL the legal costs, including those for the defendant? Otherwise, you could have people filing frivolous lawsuits just to cost someone a lot of money.

• runningunnin.454
      10:33 am July 29, 2020 Permalink

I thought that’s the way it was in a civil case; maybe it’s up to the judge.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:42 am July 29, 2020 Permalink

Depends on the state too.

8. runningunnin.454
    10:39 am July 29, 2020 Permalink

I think I read some time ago that there were around 1,000 DI transfer waiver requests, all sports. They should just pass them all through, and let these kids play where they want to, immediately.
    Why leave all these kids in limbo; they’re going to do it next year, anyway.

• Realme
      10:41 am July 29, 2020 Permalink

Because they are The Worst.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:44 am July 29, 2020 Permalink

Especially this year. Just grant them all already unless there’s a really flimsy reason, like MAYBE being homesick (Juzangcoughcough).

10:47 am July 29, 2020 Permalink

Yep – they are already going through enough crap with the COVID stuff anyway. Throw them a bone!

9. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:43 am July 29, 2020 Permalink

I love people from my home state who say “airs” instead of “hours”. Awesome. See also “arn” and “far” instead of “iron” and “fire”.

10:44 am July 29, 2020 Permalink

They also plant flares in their flare beds. ?

10:46 am July 29, 2020 Permalink

My aunt used to tell me her car was a quart low on “oral”.

• runningunnin.454
      10:46 am July 29, 2020 Permalink

I once handed my M1 Garand to a friend. He stared at it for a long time; and, then said…”I don’t know how to far it”.
      (sort of sounds like fart, huh?)

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:47 am July 29, 2020 Permalink

Some folks here say “awl”.

10. RealCatsFan
    10:45 am July 29, 2020 Permalink

Anyone remember the commercials that used to run with Jim Varney (RIP) that had him as a country bumpkin who used to say “know what I mean, Vern”? I believe he was a Kentucky native too. Had his 15 or 20 minutes of fame.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:47 am July 29, 2020 Permalink

Yes, he was a Wildcat fan for sure! He said “Go Wildcats” on Jay Leno. I think it was when that Beverly Hillbillies movie came out.

11. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:46 am July 29, 2020 Permalink

RCF, I need you here helping me swap out a range hood. It’s always an adventure due to the previous owner of the house taking shortcuts…and he was a carpenter by trade, so he knew a lot more than me about how to do home repair. He just did shoddy work (I said SHODDY, but if I was a cussing man I might buy a different vowel).

11:00 am July 29, 2020 Permalink

The fun begins when you have “custom” cabinetry. Our basement was professionally finished before we bought the house, and when I did some renovations there were a number of code violations I had to correct. Just because a “pro” is doing it doesn’t necessarily mean it gets done right. Probably one of the reasons I am so hard headed about doing thing myself. (Also a reason I never became a manager or big-whig at my job.)

11:06 am July 29, 2020 Permalink

My next door neighbors are having a pool installed. In order to not have a one year wait, they decided to go with some outfit from Wayland, KY (a few miles south of Prestonsburg) that someone else in the area had used. They also have another install underway in our town. They have dug the hole and put up the walls, and both jobs have already failed the first electrical inspection. How do you do this for a living and not know the basics of how it should be done? Apparently their inspector back home just hands them an approved permit without really checking anything.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:07 am July 29, 2020 Permalink

Right you are. Okay, here I go. I’m having to cut away some spray foam to try to get the old one out…and pray I can hook the other one up. I have no idea what he may have done with the electrical (*shudders*).

11:12 am July 29, 2020 Permalink

HaHa, I feel you pain. Just make sure the circuit is dead before you disconnect it. 🙂

12. ClutchCargo
    10:47 am July 29, 2020 Permalink

So I suddenly can’t comment or reply from the desktop site, but I’m good with the app. Don’t have time for that today, but will try again tomorrow. Have a good one, ya’ll.

10:48 am July 29, 2020 Permalink

No error message or anything. It just never actually shows up.

10:57 am July 29, 2020 Permalink

Okay, so I’m back in business. I blame the Rooferee.

13. Laker Cat 18
    10:49 am July 29, 2020 Permalink

OZARK mid-season 3! Let’s go!

14. runningunnin.454
    10:49 am July 29, 2020 Permalink

Not PPM, it’s dragging.

15. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:50 am July 29, 2020 Permalink

I posted this stuff late yesterday so some of you had probably bowed out, and it’s about Tom Payne:
    Here is an article written by the great Larry Vaught. Payne’s isn’t as outspoken as Tucker about being pro-Rupp IMO, but he’s definitely not anti-Rupp, and is not in favor of taking his name off the arena:

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:50 am July 29, 2020 Permalink

Some interesting tidbits from Wikipedia about Payned, particularly the first 2:

*He instead played for an AAU team called “Jerry’s Restaurant.” (I LOVED Jerry’s Restaurant! Last I knew, there was still one in Bowling Green. Does anyone know if any still exist? Of course even it they did who knows after the lockdowns).
      *he attempted a basketball comeback with the Louisville Catbirds of the CBA.
      *Later, he moved to Hollywood and became an actor, once appearing in Night Court, as well as a McDonald’s commercial.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:51 am July 29, 2020 Permalink

Haha. Payne not Payne’s or Payned.

10:56 am July 29, 2020 Permalink

Most Jerry’s restaurants became Denny’s. Not sure if there is even one Jerry’s left. The one in BG closed a couple of years ago. There was one in Radcliff until this past January.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:03 am July 29, 2020 Permalink

There’s one in Paris!

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:04 am July 29, 2020 Permalink

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:05 am July 29, 2020 Permalink

Just one more (I had no idea that owner Jerry also operated Long John Silver’s, although I knew it started in Lexington):

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:08 am July 29, 2020 Permalink

Anyway, thanks for the stroll down amnesia lane (Dead Poet’s Society reference if you didn’t see that movie). That big Jerry’s sign is one of my childhood memories from Lexington. Later guys!

• runningunnin.454
      11:11 am July 29, 2020 Permalink

“American Graffiti” had Mel’s. We cruised Jerry’s…they were actually okay with it, of course, we ate every 30 minutes. I liked the Champ sandwich; don’t think Denny’s continued that.

11:22 am July 29, 2020 Permalink

“American Graffiti” is one of my all-time favorites. So many actors got their start in that film and went on to stardom. I think we have talked at length about that one on the ST before, but if you haven’t ever seen it, it’s worth seeing.

16. RealCatsFan
    10:54 am July 29, 2020 Permalink

I think Jay in Lyndon is trying to think of Impellizari’s for the pizza place. Pizza heaven.

10:57 am July 29, 2020 Permalink

Places to see in Louisville – Iroquois overlook, (Louisville Zoo/Science Museum/KY Derby Museum)-pick one if you have kids, Great Lawn walking bridge if the street gangs aren’t out.

11:00 am July 29, 2020 Permalink

What if the street gangs come out while you’re across the bridge?

11:10 am July 29, 2020 Permalink

I’m shocked that I actually agree with the guys’ recommendation of a restaurant. Vietnam Kitchen is indeed awesome.

17. RealCatsFan
    11:13 am July 29, 2020 Permalink

HaHa, I don’t think Foster Brooks was “acting” drunk most of the time. 🙂

18. ClutchCargo
    11:13 am July 29, 2020 Permalink

Most of these “famous” Louisville people, folks would have no idea who they were without having their names along with the face. And stop counting Tom Cruise as a Louisvillian.

11:16 am July 29, 2020 Permalink

Tom Cruise is not from Louisville. His parents are.

19. runningunnin.454
    11:17 am July 29, 2020 Permalink

Hunter Thompson did not commit suicide; the police totally blew that one. The .45 S&W would not be laying beside him with a full clip, and no round in the chamber.

11:20 am July 29, 2020 Permalink

Well, clearly he shot himself, inserted the full magazine and then died. Reminds me of the guy who died on Fort Knox several years ago from 26 stab wounds. Ruled suicide.

20. ClutchCargo
    11:30 am July 29, 2020 Permalink

I’m really curious what these seeds are that people are receiving.

• runningunnin.454
      11:37 am July 29, 2020 Permalink

They grow into seed pods that can duplicate and replace humans. It’s “Invasion of the Body Snatchers” all over again.

11:41 am July 29, 2020 Permalink

I think I would have to take a couple of the seeds out of the packet and plant them in a pot just to see what they turn into. Hopefully it wouldn’t end up eating my cat or something. 🙂

11:45 am July 29, 2020 Permalink

I think it might be this: https://youtu.be/SfcPnul77T8

21. runningunnin.454
    11:48 am July 29, 2020 Permalink

Is there some reason STD can’t wait until fall for the run?

11:56 am July 29, 2020 Permalink

Matt wants to see him suffer in the heat. Sadistic bastid. 🙂