KSR Show Thread 7/28: Jackson County Spotlight

Good morning, friends, and welcome to the Tuesday edition of Kentucky Sports Radio. Today, the gang will recap a busy Monday of news, including Governor Beshear’s latest coronavirus restrictions, talk about the latest in UK Sports, and shine the spotlight on Jackson County. You ready?

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

70 Comments for KSR Show Thread 7/28: Jackson County Spotlight

1. runningunnin.454
    10:06 am July 28, 2020 Permalink

I didn’t know NASA had a moonshot scheduled for last night.
    Evan White got his first MLB HR, 418 feet; hey this one’s gotta chance, ha ha ha.
    The man took a round bat, and hit a round ball…squarely.

2. lexattorney
    10:08 am July 28, 2020 Permalink

NO mention or post on the site about Tom Payne speaking out on behalf of Adolph Rupp? I guess we see how KSR really stands on the Rupp Arena name.

10:15 am July 28, 2020 Permalink

I don’t know, maybe the endorsement of a convicted serial rapist doesn’t carry a lot of weight?

• runningunnin.454
      10:16 am July 28, 2020 Permalink

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:22 am July 28, 2020 Permalink

But Clutch, that aspect of Payne’s background wouldn’t give him a reason to not be honest about Rupp, whether he was pro or anti Rupp. Either way, Matt has made it clear he will not take a stand regardless of the facts he’s presented, including what RG has so well noted here and yesterday.

11:34 am July 28, 2020 Permalink

I don’t doubt for a minute that Payne is sincere about what he said about Rupp, cg. And I also believe he is right. I just think if you are trying to win the hearts and minds of people, he might not be the one to do that.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:34 am July 28, 2020 Permalink

Whatever happened to him after prison anyway? I obviously don’t support what he did that landed him there, but I hope he turned his life around. I remember seeing an article about him getting into boxing at one point. It seems like that was the early 80s.

• runningunnin.454
      11:34 am July 28, 2020 Permalink

I agree, Chris. Payne served over 40 years in prison; I guess they call that paying his debt to society. Like a hooker that is a witness in a trial. Just because she’s a hooker doesn’t mean that she’s blind.
      We probably shouldn’t ignore his opinion about Rupp, since he was the first AA to play at UK.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:36 am July 28, 2020 Permalink

Oh I agree totally. There are plenty of other accounts that are enough, again as RG has pointed out.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:49 am July 28, 2020 Permalink

Here is an article written by the great Larry Vaught. Payne’s isn’t as outspoken as Tucker about being pro-Rupp IMO, but he’s definitely not anti-Rupp, and is not in favor of taking his name off the arena:

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:50 am July 28, 2020 Permalink

Payne not Payne’s. I hate when I edit a sentence and forget to change things like that. lol

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:57 am July 28, 2020 Permalink

Some interesting tidbits from Wikipedia about Payned, particularly the first 2:

*He instead played for an AAU team called “Jerry’s Restaurant.” (I LOVED Jerry’s Restaurant! Last I knew, there was still one in Bowling Green. Does anyone know if any still exist? Of course even it they did who knows after the lockdowns).
      *he attempted a basketball comeback with the Louisville Catbirds of the CBA.
      *Later, he moved to Hollywood and became an actor, once appearing in Night Court, as well as a McDonald’s commercial.

3. Realme
    10:14 am July 28, 2020 Permalink

Always thought those stroller things that people use to pull their kids behind their bikes looked more dangerous. Saw guy the other day with that on Leestown Rd ( not sidewalk).

10:17 am July 28, 2020 Permalink

Those things scare the crap out of me when I see them. No way I’m having a baby behind me out of sight (except within the car in a car seat). I don’t even like those backpack things.

10:26 am July 28, 2020 Permalink

I bet they have warnings on the boxes about not using on roads.

10:30 am July 28, 2020 Permalink

But bikes aren’t meant to be on sidewalks. So I guess I just question why those things even exist.

10:32 am July 28, 2020 Permalink

ok good point. I’d only use one in a park setting, not that I have a kid to tow around.

• RealCatsFan
      10:39 am July 28, 2020 Permalink

We had one of those double side-by-side jogging strollers when my kids were young. My wife and I were under the illusion that we were going to jog around the circle that we live on with the kids. One trip up the ungodly hills in our neighborhood changed that tune. 😉

• runningunnin.454
      10:40 am July 28, 2020 Permalink

Why bikes exist…or sidewalks? Hee Haw.

10:45 am July 28, 2020 Permalink

And then all the grit and stuff coming off the back tire? The whole idea is just a hard pass for me. rg, if sidewalks didn’t exist where would some people drive their cars? 🙂

• runningunnin.454
      10:48 am July 28, 2020 Permalink

Left of center, of course.

10:58 am July 28, 2020 Permalink

Ha ha we had an old man neighbor once who totally would drive on the sidewalk. It was apartments at the time so didn’t care but yikes.

11:17 am July 28, 2020 Permalink

Did that old neighbor have a bumper sticker that said “If you don’t like my driving, stay off the sidewalk” ? lol

4. Laker Cat 18
    10:19 am July 28, 2020 Permalink

Skipping the show today. When Julian speaks, we listen.

5. RealCatsFan
    10:19 am July 28, 2020 Permalink

KHSAA is meeting to discuss the future of fall sports this morning. I have a bad feeling that I’m not going to like what they have to say.

10:21 am July 28, 2020 Permalink

I think you will. I think we at least attempt to play on a delayed schedule. However, I could see that changing later.

• RealCatsFan
      10:30 am July 28, 2020 Permalink

I hope so, LC. Are you talking about outdoor sports like football, or indoor sports too?

10:32 am July 28, 2020 Permalink

I think both, honestly. They’re in the mindset they at least want to attempt something…it may be shortened version, but I think they will attempt.

10:36 am July 28, 2020 Permalink

Believe it or not, they’re talking volleyball in the same category as cross-country, field hockey, other outdoor sports. Kind of odd to me. Football is the single one they haven’t really discussed in depth yet.

10:53 am July 28, 2020 Permalink

I’m guessing August 24 practice start date for volleyball, September 7th first competition.

• RealCatsFan
      10:55 am July 28, 2020 Permalink

I guess maybe because volleyball doesn’t really have any contact, and they can generally space themselves out on the court. My daughter’s club is still having limited practices.

I wonder why the AVP pro beach tour is not still going on. You only have two people on each side of the court and it is outside. I would love to get to watch some pro beach volleyball.

11:32 am July 28, 2020 Permalink

Football practice starts August 24th. First game September 11th. Playoffs pushed back 1 week.

6. Realme
    10:22 am July 28, 2020 Permalink

Those of you not in Lexington may not know this, but they have torn down all of the civic center stuff attached to Rupp. Like even directly across from Triangle Park, is demolished. I thought they were just giving the inside a facelift.

• RealCatsFan
      10:35 am July 28, 2020 Permalink

I tried to find pictures online, but I wasn’t going to jump thru any hoops to see it on the Lex Herald site.

10:38 am July 28, 2020 Permalink

Just imagine debris and destruction and empty space where buildings were for all of the main street side. High street Rupp part looks much closer to done.

10:41 am July 28, 2020 Permalink

I really had no idea since I don’t get downtown much anymore, especially that side of the complex.

7. JTHinton
    10:23 am July 28, 2020 Permalink

Go cubs go, go cubs go
    Hey Chicago, whatdya say, the cubs are gonna win today!

8. JTHinton
    10:27 am July 28, 2020 Permalink

Am i the only one not outraged that EJ was omitted from the NBA combine list?

We all knew it was a massive mistake to leave and I can count the number of people on one hand who thought he would have a successful NBA career after leaving this year.

10:30 am July 28, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, these guys are allowed to make stupid decisions, but good luck to him.

• RealCatsFan
      10:32 am July 28, 2020 Permalink

It sucks to hear that, and it must suck worse for him. I wonder what the people who gave him the poor advice not to come back are saying to him now.

10:34 am July 28, 2020 Permalink

I’m sure they’re saying it’s Cal’s fault.

10:39 am July 28, 2020 Permalink

EJ isn’t super athletic, so he has to have a more refined skill set than he currently does. Staying in school and working on that would have done him a lot of good. Just being tall doesn’t get it done in the NBA.

9. Realme
    10:28 am July 28, 2020 Permalink

So I started a Walking Dead rewatch yesterday. It’s funny all the things they hadn’t decided in the beginning, like what the zombies should sound like, and whether they were smart enough to use tools and follow their families around.

10:34 am July 28, 2020 Permalink

That first season had a completely different (and awesome) feel to it, with the original producer and all. I guess those little details weren’t really dealt with in the comic books. Excuse me, graphic novel.

10:36 am July 28, 2020 Permalink

Apparently, season 10 resumes on October 4. And then another 6 episodes in early 2021 that aren’t season 11.

10:37 am July 28, 2020 Permalink

Negan made the Walking Dead. Loved the beginning of the series, but Negan and Lucille sells it for me.

10:41 am July 28, 2020 Permalink

Boo Negan. I liked previous seasons better. However I’ll take his villain seasons over that bald Whisperer creep any day. Clutch, I didn’t know about those extra 6 episodes. That’s not the new spinoff?

10:47 am July 28, 2020 Permalink

The best episode of the entire show so far is the Negan/Glen episode. Crazy good.

10:49 am July 28, 2020 Permalink

They had a tendency at the time Negan came along, to just drag out scenarios for way too long. That got much better when the current producer took over. And there were even some funny self-aware moments when he was told by Beta to stop with all the talking. lol

10:51 am July 28, 2020 Permalink

I think you mean worst, LC if you mean the one I think of when you say Negan / Glenn.

10:52 am July 28, 2020 Permalink

Realme, this is what I found yesterday. 5th paragraph talks about the additional 6 episodes. https://ew.com/events/comic-con/walking-dead-season-10-finale-date/#:~:text=During%20The%20Walking%20Dead's%20Comic,at%209%20p.m.%20ET%2FPT.

10:52 am July 28, 2020 Permalink

My point exactly. Name another episode that brought more of a roller coaster of emotion than that one. LOL

10:54 am July 28, 2020 Permalink

Spoiler warning. What are your best moments? Sophia coming out of the barn and “tainted meat” are the first two that come to mind for me. Michone’s arrival. But I also liked when Negan took care of baldy and when Karl got bit. I’m not thinking of a million others right now.

10:56 am July 28, 2020 Permalink

It was too much sad/dark for me, LC, especially because they all remained firmly under his thumb for so long after that.

10:59 am July 28, 2020 Permalink

One scene weirdly stands out in my mind, and one that most have probably forgotten about. When Rick had to hack Herschel’s leg off with a hatchet to save his life. It wasn’t one of those one whack, nice and clean amputations like most shows would do. It took some doing and was just awful to see and hear. Those little touches are what I like about the show.

11:00 am July 28, 2020 Permalink

I’m not a huge fan of this era of the series, but Sasha coming out of the coffin was a good one I thought. Solid storyline in that one.

11:01 am July 28, 2020 Permalink

I was genuinely hurt when I saw Herschel passed away in real life. He was part of our family for so long early on.

11:03 am July 28, 2020 Permalink

Best moment for me will always be Rick waking up in the hospital and trying to figure out what was going on. The zombie with no lower body, but crawling after him as he tries to ride away on a bike was the best!

11:05 am July 28, 2020 Permalink

Huge yes about Sasha. Thanks for the link Clutch. Oct. 4 will be something to look forward to.

11:06 am July 28, 2020 Permalink

The Rick and Shane feud was big time as well.

11:07 am July 28, 2020 Permalink

The most underrated character has to be Carol. It’s easy to love Negan, Rick, Michonne, Daryl…Carol has been there from day 1 and is a [email protected]$$.

11:10 am July 28, 2020 Permalink

Carol and Daryl are the best, start to current day, no question.

10. runningunnin.454
    10:30 am July 28, 2020 Permalink

EJ’s problem was his motor; he went hard to the basket in the last game against Florida. Guys can play overseas, and come back.
    Maybe he didn’t want give that old college try; might be different when he’s getting the $$.

11. ClutchCargo
    10:53 am July 28, 2020 Permalink

I crack up every time Matt says Kitten County. 🙂

• runningunnin.454
      11:11 am July 28, 2020 Permalink

We should be grateful for the comic relief; he is almost as good a Yogi Berra.

12. ClutchCargo
    11:37 am July 28, 2020 Permalink

I killed a copperhead once by intentionally hooking it while fishing once after it came directly at my son and me. That allowed me to bash its head with a fist sized rock. I didn’t taste it, though, in case it might be poisonous in addition to being venomous. 🙂

13. runningunnin.454
    11:48 am July 28, 2020 Permalink

Hah, snake handling,
    Where is your back door?
    “We don’t have one”
    Where would you want one?