KSR Show Thread 7/27: Talking Shannon’s Walk, Hopkins County

Good morning, friends, and welcome to the Monday edition of Kentucky Sports Radio. Today, the gang is all in to preview Shannon’s 50-mile walk later this week, catch you up on the latest in the UK Sports world, and profile Hopkins County. They’ll also tell you how you can become a finalist to win $1,000 if Shannon doesn’t complete his walk.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

78 Comments for KSR Show Thread 7/27: Talking Shannon’s Walk, Hopkins County

1. runningunnin.454
    10:03 am July 27, 2020 Permalink

Dr. Jamal Ratchford is a PhD from California; he attended hbcu Morehouse College and Purdue. Why he’s a UK fan, I don’t know; but his perspective is interesting,

• runningunnin.454
      10:08 am July 27, 2020 Permalink

Jim Tucker was a young AA at Paris Western HS; Rupp wanted to sign him but that was impossible in 1950. He called his friend, the Duquesne coach, and a scholarship ensued. That coach told Tucker, “if Rupp wants you, and can’t have you, then I want you.
      Tucker won an NBA championship with the Syracuse Nationals, and his record of the fastest triple double in 17 minutes remained the NBA record until 2018.
      His comments are at 9:23 and 13:30.

10:18 am July 27, 2020 Permalink

Larry Vaught yesterday said that all he knows is what a black player (I forget his name and it may be Tucker) said to him about Rupp, and that’s how much Rupp helped him. You can find the podcast on WLAP’s site (Sunday Morning Sports Talk).

• Realme
      10:22 am July 27, 2020 Permalink

Thanks. Interesting and also helped drown out the guys speculation about the possibility of sports.

2. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:15 am July 27, 2020 Permalink

Wow, so just like Rudy Gobert’s positive test shut down every sport under the sun, the Phillies will shut down everything this time.

Shannon makes a good point: maybe they could have done a baseball bubble in Florida or Arizona. You have all those spring training sites.

10:18 am July 27, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, I’m not sure why baseball didn’t just do the Florida/Arizona bubble thing. Too late to change course now, obviously.

10:19 am July 27, 2020 Permalink

Or maybe both states. Call FL the Grapefruit League and AZ the Cactus League just like in spring training, and the champ for each one is in the World Series.

10:19 am July 27, 2020 Permalink

You beat me to adding AZ.

• runningunnin.454
      10:24 am July 27, 2020 Permalink

I’m ready for baseball 2020 to end; my Detroit Tigers have a winning % of 66%. Beats last year’s 29%.

• JTHinton
      10:25 am July 27, 2020 Permalink

It shocks me that MLB is playing home/away games without fans. MLS and NBA are playing without fans in the bubble and it’s working out well.

The NFL will do whatever they can to have fans, because it’s the NFL. But MLB made it clear that they haven’t ever planned on letting fans in the stadium, so why not play in FL and AZ?

10:35 am July 27, 2020 Permalink

rg, your Tigers have my Reds to thank for handing them two nicely gift-wrapped wins this weekend. But there’s no column in the standings to describe how the wins and losses happened, I suppose. Gah!

• runningunnin.454
      10:51 am July 27, 2020 Permalink

Thanks, Clutch…we appreciate it!

10:53 am July 27, 2020 Permalink

My Reds too. Ugh. Hey, the season ain’t over til it’s over! Oh wait…

11:07 am July 27, 2020 Permalink

I’m afraid David Bell hasn’t learned to stop overthinking things. It’s like he says to himself that he’s the manager; therefore, he has to manage.

3. JTHinton
    10:24 am July 27, 2020 Permalink

I don’t like how Matt frames these questions. It’s not just “are you ok with college players getting COVID so we can have entertainment”

If we don’t play football nearly every small sport will be cut. Hundreds of thousands of jobs will be lost. Lives will be changed: what happens to Joe Burrow if he doesn’t have his breakout season?

10:45 am July 27, 2020 Permalink

Exactly. It’s just like the spoiled celebrities out there, and some commenters here (Han is one), saying people are mad only because they want their nails done. 40 million people out of work and suicide rates and drinking are skyrocketing. It isn’t just about entertainment and it certainly isn’t just about getting nails done and being bored with TV.

• bbn606
      2:36 pm July 27, 2020 Permalink

Well yes I am ok with a college player getting COVID which is probably a whole lot better than a player getting a knee blown out, crippled for life, a concussion, paralyzed or even killed.

4. Laker Cat 18
    10:27 am July 27, 2020 Permalink

Covered a lot of ground yesterday on Ozark, just started season 3.

• Realme
      10:34 am July 27, 2020 Permalink

Whoo buddy, may just be recency bias, but buckle up, it’s crazy.

10:37 am July 27, 2020 Permalink

Just when you think it can’t get any crazier, it does. But not in a jump the shark kind of way.

10:40 am July 27, 2020 Permalink

I went back and rewatched season 1 of Hanna last week so I can jump into the new season 2 and be up to speed. Now my daughter is hooked on season 1.

5. JTHinton
    10:29 am July 27, 2020 Permalink

It’s easy to say “I don’t want to put these kids at risk”

But Ryan is still going to AAU tournaments every week. It’s different when it’s YOUR kid, and his/her success on the field at risk. (I’m not faulting him, BTW; I would probably do the same thing.)

But that’s why I ultimately think we play. Players and parents sacrifice so much to get these kids at a high enough level to play college football; I just can’t see them bailing on the season.

• Realme
      10:32 am July 27, 2020 Permalink

I think what the players want should matter, but no one seems to care about that. They’re here, they’re working hard, and they’re doing what they’re supposed to do to stay healthy. They should get to play the season.

10:44 am July 27, 2020 Permalink

I thought you were going a different direction with that, Realme. lol I agree, there has to be a way to make this work, even without fans if it has to be that way. The baseball (apparent) fail is worrisome, though. Football is going to be more like MLB than NBA, when it comes to traveling and exposure to people outside the safety of any bubble.

• Realme
      10:48 am July 27, 2020 Permalink

Well my Twitter sample of our football guys that are anxious to play may not be scientific but they have already said players that opt out won’t lose scholarships, so any that don’t want to assume the risk, won’t have to.

6. Laker Cat 18
    10:33 am July 27, 2020 Permalink

The KHSAA is scheduled to meet again tomorrow morning for the next phase of changes for high school athletics. I assume it is a calculated time based on the Governor’s new announcements this afternoon.

• Realme
      10:36 am July 27, 2020 Permalink

I see a lot of people online cheering for a major re-shutdown. Are these people independently wealthy, so that paying bills isn’t an issue?

• RealCatsFan
      10:37 am July 27, 2020 Permalink

I’m not holding out much hope that we will have a volleyball season this fall. Probably just as well for us, because we will have almost zero offense. Ten seniors graduated last year. Cupboard is pretty bare. My kid will get a lot of practice on the back row having balls whizzing at her.

• RealCatsFan
      10:40 am July 27, 2020 Permalink

I understand that people had been pent up for a couple of months, the weather was getting nice, and all that, but I feel like many states rushed into reopening everything. I know there is controversy about mask usage – you can literally find an article to support opposing views on this in 30 seconds – but I feel like we might have been able to avoid what is happening now if we had been a little smarter about wearing masks in public, using common sense around other people, etc. Of course, multiple protests for BLM, protests against the COVID shutdown, and even a couple of presidential rallies didn’t help things either.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:48 am July 27, 2020 Permalink

I was laid off for 5 weeks and made more than I do regularly. I’ve never cheated the system before… Make more for doing less? Sign me up!

10:48 am July 27, 2020 Permalink

The states that rushed the reopening weren’t even all that serious about shutting down in the first place, imho. If this is a lesson to teach us to work together for the common good, we are failing miserably.

10:51 am July 27, 2020 Permalink

Yes Realme, some of them are. See my comment above about celebrities who have accused people of only being mad because they’re bored with Netflix (or can’t get their nails done like commenter Han has said on KSR). Patton Oswalt was one:
      “Anne Frank spent 2 years hiding in an attic and we’ve been home for just over a month with Netflix, food delivery & video games and there are people risking viral death by storming state capital buildings & screaming, ‘Open Fuddruckers!'” he tweeted.

He assumes everyone has his money I guess. Yeah, never mind all the millions who lost jobs.

• Realme
      10:53 am July 27, 2020 Permalink

I thought Beshear was serious, and he gave specific targets to reopen, and then reopened without meeting them. So I assumed they just reopened because society can’t stay closed forever. Maybe he thought citizens would help out better with the masking, etc., but reopening bars? I don’t get the decisions anyone is making.

10:57 am July 27, 2020 Permalink

South Dakota didn’t shut down at all and from what I understand did just fine (they did encourage all the usual guidelines we’ve heard and read a gazillion times). Granted, it’s very rural unlike NYC and places like that. I also understand we’re not doing any better than Sweden and they didn’t shut down. However, every time someone says that someone else says it’s a like and stats have been manipulated somehow.
      (insert “I don’t know” emoji here)

10:57 am July 27, 2020 Permalink

lie not like…

• RealCatsFan
      11:26 am July 27, 2020 Permalink

I see people posting about their vacations to hotspots like Florida, Myrtle Beach, Texas, etc., all the time, and I guarantee none of them are doing the 14 day quarantine thing. I agree that shutting down the economy is a far from ideal solution, but how hard do you honestly think most people were trying to keep this from spreading?

11:38 am July 27, 2020 Permalink

I wonder how Oswalt feels about the riots and looting BTW?

7. RealCatsFan
    10:35 am July 27, 2020 Permalink

Monday – that feeling you get when you sit down to breakfast and peel your banana and 3/4 of it is smashed and brown and nasty.

• runningunnin.454
      10:49 am July 27, 2020 Permalink

Hey RCF, they played some Fogerty; hoo aah. Here’s some hot rod music for you,

10:51 am July 27, 2020 Permalink

You know, it’s weird for me to say this, but getting back into the normal routine on Monday is almost a welcome thing for me right now. I think having some sports back (for now) is giving me a taste of normal.

• RealCatsFan
      11:49 am July 27, 2020 Permalink

That looks like a McLaren next to a 61 Caddy – interesting juxtapositioning of cars. Love it!

8. Realme
    10:42 am July 27, 2020 Permalink

So do the guys tell Matt when he got too bitchy with a caller? He always seems to know when he went too far.

9. runningunnin.454
    10:45 am July 27, 2020 Permalink

I am Spartacus…no I mean I am Mike.
    BTW, the “I Am Spartacus” scene never happened. Spartacus was killed in the battle, so that didn’t occur historically. So, Spartacus was not crucified, although the Romans crucified 6,000 of the slave-warriors all along the highway to Rome.

10. RealCatsFan
    10:47 am July 27, 2020 Permalink

So now we are getting reports of mysterious packets of seeds arriving in the mail to random people, with a return address of China. They want them sent to the Dept of Agriculture in case they are some type of invasive species. So I guess it wasn’t good enough sending us COVID, murder hornets, kudzu, emerald ash borers, etc. – they want to send us some kind of Jack and the Beanstalk seeds to destroy our country. Modern warfare…

10:52 am July 27, 2020 Permalink

It’s probably kudzu on steroids. It grows 10 feet a day instead of 1.

• Realme
      10:57 am July 27, 2020 Permalink

I saw that and was like, “yep, they’re gonna discuss this on KSR”. Do you think they know what kudzu is?

11:05 am July 27, 2020 Permalink

Can we just send China something in a mysterious package already? I’m about done with those a-holes.

• Realme
      11:13 am July 27, 2020 Permalink

What shall we send them?

11:16 am July 27, 2020 Permalink

I’m not nearly creative enough to come up with something good. They probably have us beat in the bad-stuff-to-spread-to-other-countries department anyway.

11:19 am July 27, 2020 Permalink

• RealCatsFan
      11:19 am July 27, 2020 Permalink

Um, Dennis Rodman? Wait – we already sent him to North Korea.

• RealCatsFan
      11:20 am July 27, 2020 Permalink

Mark Rober is awesome! I think we already talked about his video about keeping the squirrels out of the bird feeder. My kids loved that one!

11:27 am July 27, 2020 Permalink

I read years ago that some people purposely planted some tree from Australia in the Everglades because the tree drinks a lot of water. It turns out…drum roll please…you guessed it, it drank TOO much water and was drying up the swamps too much! Send them that and tell them it worked out GREAT!

BTW, kudzu was brought here on purpose as I understand it too. My mom has made kudzu jelly with the blooms. It tastes kind of like crabapple jelly to me, although it’s been a long time since I’ve had it.

11:28 am July 27, 2020 Permalink

Actually it may not have technically been the Everglades. It said the swamps for sure (and maybe in south GA as well as in FL but I’m not sure). Are the Everglades considered swamps? Sorry, it’s been a long time since science or geography class.

11. RealCatsFan
    11:18 am July 27, 2020 Permalink

rg had to mention hot rods – spent Friday and Saturday with daughter #2. She got to abuse the family car on the autocross course that was set up for the safe driving class inn Bowling Green. They set up a skidpad, which was basically driving the car in a tight circle while you increase speed to the point where the tires start to break free. The idea is to give them an idea of where the handling limits of the car are. I could literally see black clouds of rubber coming off the tires when she did this. They should have had a representative from the tire and brake store on sight handing out coupons. So dad will be rotating tires and putting front brake pads on the car next week. The upside is that she learned some things that will hopefully make her a safer and more confident driver.

• runningunnin.454
      11:23 am July 27, 2020 Permalink

Left some $$$ on the pavement, did she?

• RealCatsFan
      11:30 am July 27, 2020 Permalink

There was a girl with a Mustang GT out there, and she was driving that thing like she stole it! Another kid was in a Volkswagen GTI – he hit so many cones we nicknamed him the Cone Assassin. His dad was out there next to the course whooping and hollering every time he hit one. It was hilarious.

11:34 am July 27, 2020 Permalink

RCF, when I took Driver’s Ed, the teachers could talk to us over the radio when we were driving the course (at low speeds, not burning rubber). One of the teachers gave out a golden pylon award every class for whoever hit the most. No trophy, it was just verbal over the radio. He kept class light and gave us a chuckle.

11:38 am July 27, 2020 Permalink

As long as you hit the pylon, it’s all good because you’re considered to be in-bounds, right? 😉

• RealCatsFan
      11:58 am July 27, 2020 Permalink

I think you get style points if you get it wedged up under the car and drag it around for a while.

12. runningunnin.454
    11:19 am July 27, 2020 Permalink

I’ve mentioned this one before, but maybe some of you didn’t see it…I’m surprised Drew didn’t talk about it…of course, Matt wouldn’t believe it.

11:31 am July 27, 2020 Permalink

RG, maybe it was actually her profile that was also The Old Man of the Mountain in the White Mountains of New Hampshire before it fell. 😉

11:32 am July 27, 2020 Permalink

13. runningunnin.454
    11:27 am July 27, 2020 Permalink

I saw a UFO last week; it was huge, round, and shiny, and just hovered in the air. My wife’s trainer was over, and we all watched it with binoculars…and they were sober.

• RealCatsFan
      11:31 am July 27, 2020 Permalink

They didn’t come down and try to give you an anal probe, did they? 🙂

• runningunnin.454
      11:35 am July 27, 2020 Permalink

Nope, I was skeered, and went in the house before they started shooting.

11:35 am July 27, 2020 Permalink

RCF, seeing as how aliens are always light years ahead of us in tech, shouldn’t they be able to just simulate that on their computers instead of using a real body? 🙂

• RealCatsFan
      11:53 am July 27, 2020 Permalink

cg, that would take all the fun out of it! They have to make it worth the 346 light-year trip, after all. 😀

14. runningunnin.454
    11:37 am July 27, 2020 Permalink

Are they talking about the Belmont guy? Someone said in the KSR comments that Cal was biased against white kids. That makes as much sense as Rupp being prejudiced.

• Realme
      11:40 am July 27, 2020 Permalink

I’m a smidge glad we don’t have to say his all the time. It’s awkward.

11:40 am July 27, 2020 Permalink

People bitch when it looks like Cal might be considering a transfer from a mid-major school. Then they bitch when Cal doesn’t actually take him. There is one common theme in all of that.

15. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    11:39 am July 27, 2020 Permalink

I had seriously never heard of that rapper until KSR brought him on. Granted, I’m old, but that player says he only went to that club to get wings? Please. He could have gotten wings at dozens, probably hundreds, of places in Atlanta, local or chain.

11:47 am July 27, 2020 Permalink

But they also have breasts and thighs at the club. 🙂 I’m here all week!

• RealCatsFan
      11:54 am July 27, 2020 Permalink

They say once you try the dark meat you never…. oh nevermind.

• runningunnin.454
      11:57 am July 27, 2020 Permalink

Hah, see my last comment; good thing the show is over!

16. runningunnin.454
    11:43 am July 27, 2020 Permalink

LOL, Shannon going to have an entourage like Forrest Gump…might as well walk to the Santa Monica Pier.

17. WILDCATS1968
    11:50 am July 27, 2020 Permalink

Madisonville peeps stand up. Hopkins Co. in tha house !!!!!!

18. runningunnin.454
    11:53 am July 27, 2020 Permalink

Did he really say, “the woman that was on Trump’s thing”? WTH, think, Matt.