KSR Show Thread: 7/24: MLB Opening Day, Rupp Arena and Hickman County

There’s a lot to talk about, and the KSR crew is ready to discuss it all live this morning.

Starting now, Matt Jones, Ryan Lemond, and Shannon the Dude will break down the possibility of Rupp Arena changing its name, MLB Opening Day, the latest regarding SEC Football, and the finalists for STD’s walk.

Also, the Blue Lights Across the Bluegrass (Virtual) Tour continues this morning, with the spotlight shifting to Hickman County.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

Article written by Jack Pilgrim

Follow me on Twitter: @JackPilgrimKSR

55 Comments for KSR Show Thread: 7/24: MLB Opening Day, Rupp Arena and Hickman County

1. Realme
    10:01 am July 24, 2020 Permalink

On the one hand I’m like, no you can’t rename Rupp. But also, I’m like, build an on campus arena and forget about Rupp.

10:06 am July 24, 2020 Permalink

I don’t think an on campus arena is gonna happen, especially with the Lexington Center upgrades. So I say leave Rupp alone. The fact that they are calling on UK to make a name change to something they don’t even own makes me take these people less seriously.

10:08 am July 24, 2020 Permalink

I remember Slick Rick campaigning to get an on campus arena. I’m with CC. It hasn’t happened yet so I don’t look for it to happen.

Realme, thanks for defending my rep yesterday. 😉

• Realme
      10:11 am July 24, 2020 Permalink

🙂 Any time.

• Realme
      10:12 am July 24, 2020 Permalink

I know it wouldn’t happen, it’s just illustrative of how I feel about the issue which is both a lot and nothing.

10:17 am July 24, 2020 Permalink

I think it would be awesome if we had just stuck with Memorial Coliseum and we already had this cool old on-campus arena. But I think trying to go back to something like that when you’re currently playing off campus would be less awesome.

10:18 am July 24, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, I think an on campus arena would be great, but at this point they’re just too vested (or is it “invested”?) in Rupp & the Lexington Center I guess. Plus, I already rail against today’s ticket prices. A new arena would drive them up even more.

10:29 am July 24, 2020 Permalink

I agree about Memorial Clutch. I wish I could see a game there someday, but someone in the comments said the historic look inside is gone. I guess you have to upgrade the look these days for teen players you’re recruiting. They don’t care about a building having a 50s look.

10:36 am July 24, 2020 Permalink

They have done a nice job with the renovation of Memorial. But the basketball offices are where the endzone bleachers used to be, and the amount of space for seating is not even close to being adequate for UK mens basketball.

10:52 am July 24, 2020 Permalink

Right, but I would be more enthused about seeing a women’s game their if it still had the old look, but I digress, and I’m old.

11:04 am July 24, 2020 Permalink

I remember it being really old-looking (not in a good way) and run down before the reno. It is definitely better now, just a lot less seating.

11:17 am July 24, 2020 Permalink

There not their…I hate when I do that.

2. ClutchCargo
    10:12 am July 24, 2020 Permalink

So now we have a retroactive “I knew something a long time ago that I couldn’t tell you” from Matt.

• Realme
      10:13 am July 24, 2020 Permalink

Makes him almost as happy as a McDonald’s diet coke.

10:14 am July 24, 2020 Permalink

Haha.

3. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:12 am July 24, 2020 Permalink

Way to take a side Matt!

10:13 am July 24, 2020 Permalink

Politician in training.

10:23 am July 24, 2020 Permalink

Here’s the thing that bugs me the most about this “controversy.” It’s okay to just say “No” when someone requests that you do something that is unreasonable.

4. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:13 am July 24, 2020 Permalink

For those who didn’t see this linked in the comments yesterday (thanks to “rogerd” for posting):

5. runningunnin.454
    10:22 am July 24, 2020 Permalink

Watched the baseball game last night, even tho’ it pains me that my Detroit Tigers got rid of Max Scherzer. The sixth pitcher to pitch 2 no-hitters in one season, both after they traded him. The second to strike out at least 200 batters in a season for 8 years in a row, and the 5th to pitch multiple immaculate innings.
    Of course, they traded ace Justin Verlander, too. Sometimes I wonder about the Tiger front office.

• runningunnin.454
      10:23 am July 24, 2020 Permalink

Finally got a comment through, 6 censored over 2 threads, and one was only 2 words.

• runningunnin.454
      10:24 am July 24, 2020 Permalink

Maybe they should just ask me to leave, smh.

10:25 am July 24, 2020 Permalink

You’re starting to get a bad rep with the officials, like DeMarcus Cousins, apparently.

10:39 am July 24, 2020 Permalink

Even though it’s been a few years since he left the Reds, it was weird seeing Johnny Cueto pitching on opening day for the Giants last night.

10:40 am July 24, 2020 Permalink

Clutch, I wonder if we could have won the whole thing when we made the playoffs under Dusty Baker if Cueto doesn’t get hurt. *sigh*

• runningunnin.454
      10:41 am July 24, 2020 Permalink

Here is the first one (without the sir), smh

10:44 am July 24, 2020 Permalink

cg, I’m confident we could have at least advanced past the Giants (even with Dusty holding us back :)). I think the thing that makes it even weirder for me is that the SF fans cheered when he got hurt during that game. I have strongly disliked them ever since then.

10:53 am July 24, 2020 Permalink

I didn’t know that. Now I dislike them. I remember well us blowing that 2-0 lead in a 5 game series though. Ugh.

6. Laker Cat 18
    10:24 am July 24, 2020 Permalink

Okay, I saw this yesterday and wanted to get someone else’s thoughts. The Washington Redskins name change to the “Washington Football Team” temporarily until they decide on a new mascot…I saw Lebron James mocking the franchise on Twitter yesterday because they announced they have not decided on an official mascot yet. I don’t get his mindset on this, specifically. As much of an civil rights advocate as he seems to try to be, the Washington franchise is doing the right thing for those folks…and Lebron mocks them for it. It seems like a huge double standard.

10:26 am July 24, 2020 Permalink

Lebron doesn’t impress me as a very nice guy to be honest.

7. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:24 am July 24, 2020 Permalink

Of course they can have their opinion. As for “listening” to the other side, that’s fine. I just replied to someone on Twitter yesterday and said an unborn baby is not the mother’s body. His response: “Shut the f___ up.” It’s similar to when the mayor of Minneapolis showed up at a rally (in the crowd on the ground), and the woman on the mic on the stage looked down and asked “Are you in favor of defunding (or abolishing…not sure what she said) the police?” He said no, and she screamed “THEN GET THE EFF OUT!!!” and waved him away and continued yelling and cussing as he walked away. You can’t have a dialogue with someone like that. If the African studies department will actually TALK, then fine. They should still be told emphatically “No” IMO.

And for that unnamed former player: if he thinks the name should be changed, why did he play at UK?

10:34 am July 24, 2020 Permalink

And don’t forget there were a whole bunch more demands on their list than just changing the name of Rupp Arena. I don’t know if Matt will even get to that. They’re even demanding no cooperation with ICE. Many of their demands, as I mentioned yesterday, are designed to give themselves job security (requiring all students to take a certain course in race relations, adding more programs and classes, etc.). So some of that is selfish on their part. I’ve seen people where I work propose new classes or programs that aren’t proven to attract more students, but that do give the faculty member(s) more job security if everyone is required to take certain classes as part of the core.

• Realme
      11:08 am July 24, 2020 Permalink

Maybe that whole list was an ask for more than you expect to get negotiating strategy.

11:39 am July 24, 2020 Permalink

Yep, maybe. Aim high so you get what you want, or mostly get what you want.

8. ClutchCargo
    10:49 am July 24, 2020 Permalink

Shannon seems a bit like me with his attitude about this 50 mile walk. If somebody is giving me $5,000 to get this done, I’m not looking for reasons to not get it done. I’m going to be really motivated. In my mind, I’ve got the $5,000 unless I fail and lose the money, and I’m highly motivated to not lose money.

• Realme
      10:52 am July 24, 2020 Permalink

He said he could make free throws, and then he did. Believing is the first step.

11:00 am July 24, 2020 Permalink

That’s another thing I believe he and I have in common. If I really need to accomplish something, and I’m a little unsure of my ability to do it, I have to put it out there that I’m going to try. Sometimes a little pressure is a good thing. It kind of takes failure off the table as an option.

11:16 am July 24, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, sometimes when something doesn’t have to be done right away at work or home, and I start to do it, I’m not focused because “This doesn’t have to be done until _________.” Then, when it’s last minute, I get it done and come through like a champ…mostly…sometimes.

9. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:51 am July 24, 2020 Permalink

I’m not that familiar with Lori Morgan’s music, but oddly, I am a YUGE fan of anyone who wears a UK shirt in one of their music videos!

10:53 am July 24, 2020 Permalink

I blame her for killing Keith Whitley. Fie upon her!

10:54 am July 24, 2020 Permalink

I meant to say “It’s odd that I consider myself a YUGE fan of someone whose music I’m not that familiar with”.

10:58 am July 24, 2020 Permalink

I’m half joking about that, btw. But the song “Tell Lorrie I Love Her” is a huge tear jerker.

• runningunnin.454
      11:07 am July 24, 2020 Permalink

Not very original, George Harrison would have been sued over that,

10. VilleCat11
    11:00 am July 24, 2020 Permalink

If they change the name, I think fans should just start a Rupp Arena chant every game and keep it going as long as they can

• VilleCat11
      11:00 am July 24, 2020 Permalink

Right before the game begins..

11:12 am July 24, 2020 Permalink

Yelling C-A-T-S or BLUE-WHITE is about as coordinated as a Rupp crowd gets. I don’t see it happening.

• runningunnin.454
      11:14 am July 24, 2020 Permalink

I hope they don’t change it; but, they can’t do the chant thing. Too controversial for the players, too divisive.

11. RealCatsFan
    11:08 am July 24, 2020 Permalink

Matt getting on Ryan for being on his phone is shades of Mrs RCF getting on our kids for the same thing.

12. CatManDo
    11:20 am July 24, 2020 Permalink

“Anyone found using the N-word or any variation of it will be immediately suspended, if not dismissed. This word is highly offensive and use of it furthers the oppression of the African American community. It will not be tolerated in our organization.”

If this statement was from the CEO of Kroger or from the coach of a little league team I image we would all fully agree with it.

What if it was from the CEO of a major record label or the NBA commissioner? Shouldn’t it be the same?

My point is if something an old white dude said 50 years ago is so offensive that we need to change everything, why don’t we start with changing things that are going on now? How about trying to dismiss the use of the N-word in all music that young kids listen to? I wish we would focus on changing things that we can now vs. removing things that were done in the past.

• RealCatsFan
      11:29 am July 24, 2020 Permalink

I agree. The double standard needs to go away. And the whole “Rupp is racist” thing is based on hearsay. I would understand if there was proof that he was racist. But Rupp has been dead for 40 years and can’t defend himself. it’s a smack in the face of his family and friends.

13. classof68
    11:36 am July 24, 2020 Permalink

Speaking of chickens, one should google “Mike the Chicken.” Mike lived a year and a half after his head was cut off.

14. RealCatsFan
    11:41 am July 24, 2020 Permalink

Heading southbound on I65, with daughter #2 at the wheel. Heading to Bowling Green to attend a safe driver school at the Corvette museum tomorrow. I highly recommend it for new drivers. Great daughter/dad time, listening to KSR.

15. BlondeBomber
    11:47 am July 24, 2020 Permalink

Did Matt just pull a Pelosi and say, “People are going to do what they’re going to do”?

16. Dr. Tom
    4:50 pm July 24, 2020 Permalink

I didn’t listen in to the show today but am curious if Matt and the crew unanimously opposed the notion of changing the name of Rupp Arena??