KSR Show Thread 7/22: Who up Henderson?

KSR’s tour of Kentucky counties is taking its talents to the western part of the state to shine a spotlight on the home of Mason Wolfe, Henderson County. When they aren’t talking counties, Matt and the gang will discuss the potential addition of Adam Kunkel, the latest from UK’s basketball workouts and more.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

86 Comments for KSR Show Thread 7/22: Who up Henderson?

1. RealCatsFan
    9:51 am July 22, 2020 Permalink

First! (Is that still a thing? 🙂 )

• runningunnin.454
      10:00 am July 22, 2020 Permalink

No, sorry; no cigar!

• Laker Cat 18
      10:06 am July 22, 2020 Permalink

Third!

10:08 am July 22, 2020 Permalink

I guess it was even more difficult to be first when no login was required…or it just got old. Plus, in the ST, that one user always was first because (I think) they always bumped him up even if he wasn’t first…or he had a secret moderator login. And he always posted just the 1 comment. I couldn’t figure that last one out. It was like his calling card, like the Lone Ranger’s silver bullet.

10:10 am July 22, 2020 Permalink

Never understood why anyone cared, especially that guy you’re talking about, Chris.

10:13 am July 22, 2020 Permalink

It was UKJB I think that we’re talking about but there was another guy before him that did the same thing. Something that my brain thinks was about Sayre or sounding like it? I bet Tyler would remember.

10:13 am July 22, 2020 Permalink

Dang rg, thanks for busting my bubble so early in the day! 😉

I was in absentia for most of the ST yesterday because I had to drive to a salvage yard in Sparta KY to pick up a used quarter panel to replace the one on my daughter’s Honda that she crunched last year. I told her that she is throwing good money after bad, since the car will get beat in the campus parking lots, but it’s her money. When I went to pick the thing up they cut off part of the roof and floor along with the quarter panel – it was literally the whole back 1/4 of the car. So I told her that she is now the proud owner of 1 1/4 Honda Accords. 🙂

10:14 am July 22, 2020 Permalink

I wonder if he was one of Matt’s Transy friends. Wasn’t his name UK_JB or something like that? I hope nothing happened to him, but oh well, “The moving finger writes on the Show Thread; and, having writ, moves on!”

10:16 am July 22, 2020 Permalink

Realme, it was just a game, and a poor attempt at humor (by me also!). It’s no different than if someone challenges you to a penny pitching game or a foot race. You want to win! It’s the basic human spirit of competition, even if there’s no trophy.

10:16 am July 22, 2020 Permalink

I think he’s fine, he just got a life, lol. He shows up on my Twitter timeline occasionally.

10:22 am July 22, 2020 Permalink

RCF, is it kind of like putting together one of these?

10:22 am July 22, 2020 Permalink

But Realme, he only posted one comment a day! lol

10:26 am July 22, 2020 Permalink

DrSayre! I should tweet JB a hello from the st, but then he might look and see what I said. :p

10:30 am July 22, 2020 Permalink

Or RCF, were you cobbling together something like this?

10:30 am July 22, 2020 Permalink

10:59 am July 22, 2020 Permalink

cg, I’ll have to watch those videos when I have some time – they look neat!

Older daughter just wants her car to look “normal” again. We pounded out the quarter when she first crunched it so we could put a taillight in it and get it driveable, but she soon got tired of the “Freddie Kruger Quarter”. Younger daughter is showing signs of developing into a motorhead like her dad, which is kind of scary. She likes fast cars like Vette’s and Lambo’s and Ferrari’s. Told her to study hard and get a good job if she likes stuff like that. 😉

2. runningunnin.454
    10:10 am July 22, 2020 Permalink

I miss ’50’s TV; this is interesting…

10:18 am July 22, 2020 Permalink

That clip popped up on my YouTube feed once. VERY interesting! We forget how close we are (or have been) to what we consider ancient history sometimes.

10:48 am July 22, 2020 Permalink

He mentions that he fell down the steps right before the show. In the comments, it says that he ultimately passed away from the effects of the fall. Wow.

10:52 am July 22, 2020 Permalink

Better resolution video here:

3. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:12 am July 22, 2020 Permalink

CLUTCH, I posted this bird (Kentucky state bird!) video late yesterday so you probably missed it since you bowed out early:

RCF, that was a great story about the cardinal that would come back to see your sister after she raised it. I saw a video where a squirrel that these people had raised would come back to see them on the porch after they let it go.

4. Laker Cat 18
    10:16 am July 22, 2020 Permalink

Best team quarterback: Tyler Ulis. No doubt.

10:18 am July 22, 2020 Permalink

He was the best.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:21 am July 22, 2020 Permalink

I wish they had released all the titles before so I could spread around my answers. May be a lot of the same for me.

10:29 am July 22, 2020 Permalink

Yep, total no brainer.

5. Laker Cat 18
    10:17 am July 22, 2020 Permalink

Most clutch player: Aaron Harrison. No Doubt. Tourney team killer.

10:19 am July 22, 2020 Permalink

THIS IS THE POINT WHERE HE ALWAYS HITS IT!

10:31 am July 22, 2020 Permalink

That really could have been one of the most legendary UK teams in history. One game short. I still blame Rex. 😉

• ClutchCargo
      10:36 am July 22, 2020 Permalink

One of my dogs is still traumatized by my insane yelling during that tournament run.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:40 am July 22, 2020 Permalink

Me too RCF, me too. Rex really gets on my nerves. He’s so annoying with everything he says.

10:44 am July 22, 2020 Permalink

I used to absolutely love Rex, but oh wow, that really knocked him down a peg for me. I realize that he had some substance abuse issues going on, and hopefully he has overcome them, but that was one of the worst things an ex-UK guy has done in my book. The timing alone was highly questionable.

10:48 am July 22, 2020 Permalink

Same. I’m a broken record, but… dead to me. Not that I was attached to him to begin with. Wasn’t watching yet during his tenure, where as far as I can understand, he showed off a ton and didn’t win a championship or anything.

6. Laker Cat 18
    10:19 am July 22, 2020 Permalink

Best bucket getter: Tyler Herro. Honorable Mention: Aaron Harrison, Monk, Lamb, Fox, Knight.

10:21 am July 22, 2020 Permalink

Don’t forget Wenyen! For that one game, hee haw.

• runningunnin.454
      10:25 am July 22, 2020 Permalink

Rm, you beat me by a nose, ha ha.

10:30 am July 22, 2020 Permalink

Never said it outside of the living room before, but we always used to think Wenyen looked like a whippy wind man (those car dealership things that flop around) the awkward way he moved on the court and he was tall and skinny with the same kind of hair.

10:34 am July 22, 2020 Permalink

• ClutchCargo
      10:39 am July 22, 2020 Permalink

Here’s my favorite one, Realme. Probably located somewhere near the UofL campus: https://images.app.goo.gl/EBWsaBWtMra4zPw17

10:45 am July 22, 2020 Permalink

Ha ha ha!

7. Laker Cat 18
    10:20 am July 22, 2020 Permalink

Lockdown Defender: MKG. Honorable Mention: Davis, WCS, Liggins.

8. runningunnin.454
    10:22 am July 22, 2020 Permalink

I can NOT believe, Wenyen wasn’t Cal’s go-to bucket getter!

9. Laker Cat 18
    10:26 am July 22, 2020 Permalink

Dirty Worker: Liggins. Would be MKG probably, but I chose him for lockdown defender.

10. Laker Cat 18
    10:28 am July 22, 2020 Permalink

Glue Guy: Miller. I would consider Jones and Patterson as well.

10:34 am July 22, 2020 Permalink

All of your selections are spot on, and bringing up great memories.

10:41 am July 22, 2020 Permalink

Helmet Guy votes for Miller.

Wow, looking back on those times, that was fun! No stupid virus to keep us from having fun.

11. Laker Cat 18
    10:29 am July 22, 2020 Permalink

Coach on the Floor: Fox.

10:31 am July 22, 2020 Permalink

Speed burner too.

10:33 am July 22, 2020 Permalink

I picked Ulis. But Fox was a favorite as well.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:41 am July 22, 2020 Permalink

Ulis is clear, I was just trying to spread the love and divert from the same guy winning twice!

12. Realme
    10:44 am July 22, 2020 Permalink

“Hi Customer,
    Hope this email finds you well.
    As of today, below are the balances in your Pay By Invoice Account.”
    – Amazon Business account rep.
    Tired of boring professional communications I guess. I guess, ha ha.

• ClutchCargo
      10:48 am July 22, 2020 Permalink

And that’s actually not a phishing email? I would have assumed that it is, just based on the “Hi Customer” greeting.

10:49 am July 22, 2020 Permalink

No it had the usual attached spreadsheet.

13. runningunnin.454
    10:48 am July 22, 2020 Permalink

Darius is my favorite player of all time; and, I’ve been around a long damn time. Whenever the guys do a greatest player thing on the show, and they leave him off…I’m pist.
    Darius the Great was a Persian King; UK’s Darius was great, also.

10:53 am July 22, 2020 Permalink

^ Like.

14. Realme
    10:56 am July 22, 2020 Permalink

Matt talking about the Rand Paul feud / attack again. Can’t we just talk about Beshear and his thoughts on the virus some more?

• ClutchCargo
      10:59 am July 22, 2020 Permalink

The new facts don’t change anything, really. No matter how annoying your neighbor gets, it’s still not ok to tackle him and break ribs. Maybe you decide it’s worth it and you’re willing to deal with the consequences, which is what the neighbor apparently did.

10:59 am July 22, 2020 Permalink

Well, since it went to court though.

I didn’t realize Rand was such a posterior about the whole thing, but it’s still no excuse to beat someone like that.

11:02 am July 22, 2020 Permalink

Rand Paul occasionally says some things that I agree with, but he also seems like a bit of a little weasel to me. I could certainly see him goading a neighbor to the point where the guy wanted to strangle him – not that this condones actually doing it.

• ClutchCargo
      11:31 am July 22, 2020 Permalink

The dude ran 60 yds to make that tackle. Wouldn’t most people reconsider what they’re about to do during the time it took to run that far?

11:36 am July 22, 2020 Permalink

Not sure, but did Stoops look at recruiting him as a linebacker or free safety? 🙂

• ClutchCargo
      11:41 am July 22, 2020 Permalink

Seems like he might at least be a good special teams guy, as long as the kick returner is an old weasely politician. 🙂

15. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:57 am July 22, 2020 Permalink

Yes, you absolutely can cut limbs that overhang your property from someone else’s property. Also (at least where I live), if you have limbs overhanging a neighbor’s property, and they tell you that you have to cut them (like a former neighbor of mine insisted), you actually don’t. He didn’t want to rake the leaves and insisted I cut a ton of limbs from several large, old, & tall oaks back to the fence line and was angry when my wife told him no (I was at work when he confronted her). They can only make you cut it if it’s dangerous, and they have to produce a letter from an attorney for that.

One more tidbit: lots of people here have pecan trees, and if pecans fall on your yard, they’re yours.

11:03 am July 22, 2020 Permalink

What if your tree falls in a storm and lands on his fence. Is it your responsibility to fix it, or his?

11:10 am July 22, 2020 Permalink

If the tree was half dead /diseased, tree owner’s fault. If not, act of God. I feel like I should have an honorary law degree from all the People’s Court I used to watch.

• ClutchCargo
      11:11 am July 22, 2020 Permalink

RCF, my understanding is that you would not be liable unless that tree fell because of your negligence. It was dead or had large dead limbs that were about to fall, or you suck at cutting trees down without hitting fences.

11:50 am July 22, 2020 Permalink

^^^What they said^^^.

Realme, you remind me of the “I Can’t Believe it’s a Law Firm” from the Simpsons, where the “attorney” was voiced by the late great Phil Hartman. In the episode, he told the Simpsons “I’ve argued over 500 cases before the court. Many of them as an attorney!”

11:52 am July 22, 2020 Permalink

RCF, I think they would have to show the letter I spoke of before, to prove that they presented the required letter to get the tree owner to cut down a dangerous tree or cut dangerous limbs.

11:52 am July 22, 2020 Permalink

In other words, prove that the tree was already deemed dangerous and the tree owner did nothing. Sorry for my incoherence.

16. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    11:01 am July 22, 2020 Permalink

BTW, why have they not posted the map of counties the last couple days?

11:11 am July 22, 2020 Permalink

Ha ha Nick was too lazy to Google one?

17. ClutchCargo
    11:13 am July 22, 2020 Permalink

What does a land speculator do? Seriously, guys??

11:21 am July 22, 2020 Permalink

And now Audubon was “an artist that really liked birds”. Sigh.

18. runningunnin.454
    11:16 am July 22, 2020 Permalink

Henderson Co. once had a serial killer; His name was Leslie Irvin, and he killed six people in ’54 and ’55. His Supreme Court case set a precedent for providing a fair trial in face of wide publicity.

11:20 am July 22, 2020 Permalink

There was a tiny little shotgun house across the street from my first house, next to railroad tracks. I learned from some of the old neighbors on the street that back in the 60’s the guy living there killed his wife, dismembered her, stuffed her in a suitcase, and put the suitcase out on the railroad tracks. Creepy!

11:22 am July 22, 2020 Permalink

We really don’t talk about murder enough on here.

19. ClutchCargo
    11:43 am July 22, 2020 Permalink

I see no reason why Kunkel couldn’t help the team. I don’t think he would be a guy who could carry the team, but he could be a good complementary player.

11:53 am July 22, 2020 Permalink

Can he defend?

• ClutchCargo
      12:30 pm July 22, 2020 Permalink

No clue about that. But just about anyone can be a decent defender if they really want to.

20. BobbyBlue
    1:26 pm July 22, 2020 Permalink

Kunkel would certainly have to put on some weight if his listed weight of 165 is correct. Otherwise the big guards in the SEC would abuse him.