KSR Show Thread 7/22: Texas, Oklahoma, Tyler Herro

Good morning, friends, and welcome to the Thursday edition of Kentucky Sports Radio. Today, the gang will weigh in on the news that Texas and Oklahoma may leave the Big 12 for the SEC and chat with Tyler Herro, who is bringing his youth basketball camp to Lexington August 5-6.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

65 Comments for KSR Show Thread 7/22: Texas, Oklahoma, Tyler Herro

1. Realme
    9:57 am July 22, 2021 Permalink

Texas is expressly not invited if they are going to continue to be big dumb babies about their hand gesture being turned upside down.

• ClutchCargo
      10:06 am July 22, 2021 Permalink

That other UT will always be entitled babies. They will have a rude awakening if this does happen. Stuff like the Longhorn Network won’t fly. I would LOVE to see us kick their asses on the field.

• runningunnin.454
      10:07 am July 22, 2021 Permalink

Yep, they had to go whining and crying to the Big12 about that. How else would that even come up? If you can’t take the heat, don’t start a fire.

10:13 am July 22, 2021 Permalink

Apparently some in their current conference are feeling salty about it.

10:14 am July 22, 2021 Permalink

*the fact that they are trying to leave.

• ClutchCargo
      10:18 am July 22, 2021 Permalink

What is it about Texas? Even Texas A&M is pre-emptively whining about another Texas school joining the SEC.

10:21 am July 22, 2021 Permalink

Do they still qualify as a powerhouse? I’m not being sarcastic, I really don’t know.

• RealCatsFan
      10:21 am July 22, 2021 Permalink

Could be worse – they could be adding (the) Ohio St.

10:22 am July 22, 2021 Permalink

Well, they came here to get away from them I guess.

• runningunnin.454
      10:25 am July 22, 2021 Permalink

What would this mean? Kansass might actually win a Big12 football title.

2. RealCatsFan
    10:22 am July 22, 2021 Permalink

Bigger isn’t always better. I’m not real excited about it. In the end, it is all about the entity that many worship – money.

10:25 am July 22, 2021 Permalink

If this is our conference becoming the first of 4 super conferences, I’m interested to see it play out. Not like they are going to weaken the SEC.

• JTHinton
      10:32 am July 22, 2021 Permalink

If 16 is the inevitable Future, which I think it is, you won’t find any better choices than Texas and Oklahoma

10:36 am July 22, 2021 Permalink

I think that’s the bottom line, poach two good ones now instead of settling for two lesser teams later.

• ClutchCargo
      10:40 am July 22, 2021 Permalink

Agree, JT. I’m never going to be one of those fans that chant “S-E-C! S-E-C!” but iron sharpens iron.

10:47 am July 22, 2021 Permalink

I do take pride in being on the best football conference, but also I liked being in the less scary division.

• JTHinton
      10:49 am July 22, 2021 Permalink

From a basketball perspective, this means we probably overtake the ACC and Big Ten as the premier college hoops conference

3. runningunnin.454
    10:23 am July 22, 2021 Permalink

Don’t need two football teams that will make it tough for us; I vote for adding two original members of the SEC…Tulane and Sewanee, ha ha

10:27 am July 22, 2021 Permalink

We should probably enjoy this season with our typical schedule, sounds like it’s about to get harder.

• JTHinton
      10:48 am July 22, 2021 Permalink

This is the year to go 9-3 or 10-2 and possibly get the NY6 bowl

4. JTHinton
    10:27 am July 22, 2021 Permalink

Texas and Oklahoma are great additions to the league. BUT … this will really hurt us from a football perspective

4 team pods seems to be the future of SEC football scheduling — with 8 teams, you’re ditching divisions.

5. Realme
    10:28 am July 22, 2021 Permalink

While all this realignment is going on, I need the Big # whatever conferences to come up with a real name that doesn’t contradict how many actual teams they have.

• JTHinton
      10:32 am July 22, 2021 Permalink

They need to pick up Kansas and Iowa State and be the Big Sixteen

6. JTHinton
    10:31 am July 22, 2021 Permalink

From a basketball perspective, this would be awesome. Texas will be a power for the 2020s and Oklahoma is a solid program. It helps all non-revenue sports, too.

• runningunnin.454
      10:33 am July 22, 2021 Permalink

Like Volleyball? Let’s see, who did we just whip for the title?

• RealCatsFan
      10:42 am July 22, 2021 Permalink

Playing Texas twice a year each season is going to be tough – they spawn a lot of great athletes down there. But as they say, steel sharpens steel.

7. Realme
    10:38 am July 22, 2021 Permalink

Stoops coaches best with an underdog chip on his shoulder, so I think he and the team will embrace the new challenge.

8. JTHinton
    10:41 am July 22, 2021 Permalink

Let’s not act like Alabama is a given to be a power once Saban retires. Remember what that job was when he took over, and they are a national recruiting brand because Alabama doesn’t have a ton of in state prospects. Long terms, I would rather face them annually than Georgia, or Florida, or Texas, because those other teams have so much in-state CFB talent

9. JTHinton
    10:44 am July 22, 2021 Permalink

“He’ll see it and he’ll think of me”

Of course Matt is making the wedding gift about him

10:50 am July 22, 2021 Permalink

Wonder what he did at the wedding. Put an IOU on the table?

10. JTHinton
    10:46 am July 22, 2021 Permalink

SEC basketball with Tennessee, Texas, Alabama, Arkansas, and Florida will be fun. But as someone who leans football-first (I love both sports) this will really hurt the football program. I hope they can keep this amazing coaching staff

• ClutchCargo
      10:51 am July 22, 2021 Permalink

I think the bar for UK football is being set. I don’t see us going back to the old days where bad football was okay.

• JTHinton
      10:55 am July 22, 2021 Permalink

Bad football of 2-10 is definitely never going to be okay again.

But Kentucky does hold the 2nd longest bowl game streak of any team in the East … ahead of both Florida and Tennessee. If bowl games every year is the standard, I’m all for it, but that will be hard to keep up.

11:01 am July 22, 2021 Permalink

That’s a good point you guys. Stoops proved winning seasons can be the expectation, not the exception. No way the team, administration or fans would put up with a return to pre-stoops quality football.

• JTHinton
      11:08 am July 22, 2021 Permalink

With the money & faculties in UK Football, the standard is higher than it was 10 years ago. Bowl games/winning seasons is the expectation.

11. runningunnin.454
    10:52 am July 22, 2021 Permalink

Kentucky was officially neutral during the Civil War; but, we were actually one of the stars on the Confederate flag. Texas was also on the stars and bars flag, and considered a Confederate state.

12. ClutchCargo
    10:55 am July 22, 2021 Permalink

I had almost forgotten about not having a center who could handle the snap every single time, to the point you didn’t even think about a bad snap. Drake Jackson really nailed that position down.

• JTHinton
      10:58 am July 22, 2021 Permalink

Fortner is an NFL lineman who has played multiple positions on the interior line. I think he’ll be good, but getting extra Reps vs ULM when the game is already won is vital

13. ClutchCargo
    11:03 am July 22, 2021 Permalink

I see we forgot to summon StillBP today.

14. Realme
    11:08 am July 22, 2021 Permalink

Hopefully she’s just busy today.

• runningunnin.454
      11:20 am July 22, 2021 Permalink

You’re all alone Rm; and so, this one’s for you,

11:21 am July 22, 2021 Permalink

I was afraid that was going to be a link to “I am woman hear me roar” and I would have had to leave for the day.

• RealCatsFan
      11:23 am July 22, 2021 Permalink

KSR Show Thread = sausage party? 😉

• runningunnin.454
      11:25 am July 22, 2021 Permalink

Did you know the beautiful lady, Dolores Hart, left Hollywood to become a nun? She was in two Elvis movies before that, though, including the one with “The Kiss”.
      And, Connie Francis; what a voice.

15. runningunnin.454
    11:09 am July 22, 2021 Permalink

I think “Daniel Boone” with Fess Parker was set in Kentucky; no?

• RealCatsFan
      11:16 am July 22, 2021 Permalink

Not a series, but I was watching the movie “Green Book” last night, and parts of it were set in Kentucky (specifically, Louisville).

• ClutchCargo
      11:19 am July 22, 2021 Permalink

Another pretty good movie set and shot in Kentucky: The Clovehitch Killer. I found that one when I was looking for stuff to watch last year.

• runningunnin.454
      11:35 am July 22, 2021 Permalink

Green Book is a great movie; tough times back then.

16. ClutchCargo
    11:16 am July 22, 2021 Permalink

Why do they keep saying 85% is the SEC vaccination threshold? Pretty sure it’s 80%, right?

• Mrs. Tyler Thompson
      11:20 am July 22, 2021 Permalink

Incorrect. SEC rules state that if a team reaches 85% vaccination, they no longer have to test regularly or wear masks inside. Sankey just used 80% as a measuring stick because six teams are past that mark already. https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/31844202/sec-commissioner-greg-sankey-says-covid-concerns-lead-rescheduled-games

• RealCatsFan
      11:20 am July 22, 2021 Permalink

Not sure, but I would be lying if I said that the reports of all the “breakthrough” cases concerns me. Even if most of the vaccinated folks are not having serious symptoms, it still allows for a pool for the virus to replicate and mutate. Sounds like this damned thing is going to be a thorn in our side for the long haul, and my hopes of my masks collecting dust in a box in my closet are dimming. 🙁

• ClutchCargo
      11:24 am July 22, 2021 Permalink

Gotcha. I was confused because I had read two different news articles (outside of KSR) that referred to 80% as a “threshold.”

11:26 am July 22, 2021 Permalink

Thanks for clarifying, Tyler, I was confused too. (Who wants to read articles when you can assume things from just reading headlines?)

17. RealCatsFan
    11:18 am July 22, 2021 Permalink

Release the Kraken was from Clash of the titans, right?

11:24 am July 22, 2021 Permalink

Does Matt think that the mythical creature didn’t exist until it became a movie (or in Matt’s brain, game of thrones) tagline?

18. Realme
    11:27 am July 22, 2021 Permalink

Is he putting down Steve Zahn, the best KSR guest ever?

• ClutchCargo
      11:30 am July 22, 2021 Permalink

I don’t know, but I thoroughly enjoyed “A Perfect Getaway.” Very underrated movie.

• runningunnin.454
      11:41 am July 22, 2021 Permalink

I liked “That Thing You Do”, and I think Zahn can actually play the guitar.

19. Realme
    11:38 am July 22, 2021 Permalink

Talking about who got “cut” from a party invitation list is right up there with announcing to your social media that you’re gonna weed out your following or friends list.

20. Realme
    11:44 am July 22, 2021 Permalink

Ha ha this guy just want someone to back up his plan to skip wedding for game.

BUT WHAT ABOUT THE MOJO? he needs to go to the wedding since last time we broke a streak

• runningunnin.454
      11:49 am July 22, 2021 Permalink

I always skipped weddings, even my own; eloped.

11:52 am July 22, 2021 Permalink

We kept our as small as we could and not make our parents cry. Did it in a park in PA where my folks lived at the time, because if we’d done it here we would have had to invite everybody. 🙂 (introverts).

• ClutchCargo
      11:52 am July 22, 2021 Permalink

Football season weddings should always be skipped, just on principle. I actually went to one on an evening when we were playing Florida (I think), but I had my phone handy so I could watch with the sound turned down. It was a full-blown Catholic wedding, so I got a good bit of it watched.

• RealCatsFan
      11:59 am July 22, 2021 Permalink

We were originally planning to have our wedding in late September or October, but had to keep moving it forward because of football until it ended up in the middle of August. Fortunately we lucked out and it wasn’t very hot outside.

21. ClutchCargo
    11:58 am July 22, 2021 Permalink

I don’t think National Letter of Intent is going anywhere. It’s already the case the it doesn’t make sense for the top recruits to sign it. For everyone else, it’s a way to lock in that scholarship offer, and to prevent other schools from continuing to recruit the players who have signed.