KSR Show Thread 7/2: Buckets for Benjamins

Good morning, friends, and welcome to the Thursday edition of Kentucky Sports Radio, which is going to be a fun one. Matt, Ryan, and Drew are live from a basketball court in Lexington, where five lucky listeners will try to hit buckets for Benjamins. Each contestant will have one chance to make a three-point shot. If they do, they’ll leave with $500. How fun is that?

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

56 Comments for KSR Show Thread 7/2: Buckets for Benjamins

1. Realme
    10:10 am July 2, 2020 Permalink

Matt sounds happier after his pity party article yesterday. Not judging, I am having my fair share of pity parties too.

• runningunnin.454
      10:34 am July 2, 2020 Permalink

Here’s looking at you was a popular toast long before the movie. It was not in the script, but an impromptu line added by Bogart.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:35 am July 2, 2020 Permalink

Wow, I didn’t see the pity party until your reference to it. That & the comments: TLDR.

10:39 am July 2, 2020 Permalink

RG another movie you may be horrified to learn I’ve never seen.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:41 am July 2, 2020 Permalink

Having said that, I can’t imagine trying to host a sports show right now. John Kincade hosts Sunday mornings on CBS Sportsradio, and I’ve heard him say that whenever a host says “Call and tell me your Mount Rushmore of __________ (insert sport/team/league here)!”, you know they aren’t prepared. Right now though that’s all you can do just about, and I did glance at Matt’s post and saw where he alluded to that.

Having said that, the Marxist fascists are coming for Mount Rushmore now. So then we’ll have to say “Who is on top of your preferred mountain? Don’t mention statues! We can’t have statues! Only a “mountain top”.”

• runningunnin.454
      10:42 am July 2, 2020 Permalink

Oh wow Rm; TCM shows it a lot; you need to catch it when you can. If you do, I envy your watching it for the first time. My favorite of all time.

10:47 am July 2, 2020 Permalink

Okay, for you I will check it out.

• runningunnin.454
      10:25 am July 2, 2020 Permalink

Cool, great videos.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:43 am July 2, 2020 Permalink

Was that Heckyll or Jeckyll (sp?)? Haha. Amazing video. “DUDE! Get out of the street already!!! Come on!!!”

2. Laker Cat 18
    10:32 am July 2, 2020 Permalink

My prediction following Matt’s rant yesterday:

As aggressive as he has been toward McConnell with his book and other things, I think he is scared of him. According to Matt, it wasn’t the right time for him to run for Mitch’s seat. I’m predicting that time will be when Mitch is aligned to retire. He will run for the seat when Mitch is done with it. He will never run against him and have the satisfaction of defeating him.

Matt attributed his negative mood yesterday to 3 things: Coronavirus, the BLM protests (in correlation with police brutality), and Trump. I agree with two of those things. Two of those things have shown significant impacts with daily living for some folks. I’m only speaking for myself when I say this. Nothing Trump does or doesn’t do directly affects my daily life or well-being. Nothing Obama, Bush, or Clinton did got me so down where I was in an apparent depression mode like Matt described yesterday. It’s not Trump’s fault we were furloughed.

10:38 am July 2, 2020 Permalink

Agree with your second point. Trump is the worst, but any politician’s effect on daily life is minimal, nothing changes in my quality of life any time a different party takes over.

10:40 am July 2, 2020 Permalink

Agree. All any POTUS really controls is policy, which is going to take a while to affect anybody’s everyday life.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:45 am July 2, 2020 Permalink

It could be a lot worse. Look at Russia. Their folks altered an amendment that would allow Putin to lead until 2036. Imagine that in the United States. That is what political depression looks like.

10:46 am July 2, 2020 Permalink

One of my bosses would totally disagree. During the first part of Trump’s term, we had a string of suicides and attempts off our parking garage. She totally blamed it on the fact that no one could be happy while he was in office.

• TPACAT
      5:17 pm July 2, 2020 Permalink

That’s just Darwinism. The thinning of the weak from the herd, so to speak…

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:49 am July 2, 2020 Permalink

I have to disagree. Decisions made by all branches of government every day affect our wages, prices, taxes, personal & national security (police being defunded while the same politicians doing so are taking away our rights to self-protection), and much more. Don’t believe me? Ask the McCloskeys. A Soros funded DA is about to prosecute them for protecting themselves and their property. Ask those who’ve lost their businesses and jobs this year due to the lockdown and/or the riots.

• runningunnin.454
      11:04 am July 2, 2020 Permalink

Wow, how many suicides? That’s bizarre.

• Laker Cat 18
      11:04 am July 2, 2020 Permalink

Chris, if someone lost their job because of COVID, they’re likely making much more on unemployment. This has proven to entice folks to not want to work. I would give an example of a healthcare facility with multiple COVID deaths not having enough staff to accommodate the residents because they chose to be furloughed or quit because of a fear of getting the virus.

Just speaking from what’s happening in my town, most of the businesses that have went out of business (which are very few) during the lockdown weren’t getting the job done (effort-wise) to begin with prior to the virus, unfortunately. They already had their backs against the wall and the lockdown just pushed them over the ledge. But then again, I haven’t seen all business scenarios and I’m sure there were others that didn’t survive that deserved to.

11:11 am July 2, 2020 Permalink

There had been only been one suicide or accidental fall in my first few 8 or 9 years there. Then there was a six month stretch where one or two went through with it, and a two more had to be talked down by the police.

3. ClutchCargo
    10:34 am July 2, 2020 Permalink

I love the random stuff we talk about on the ST. Apparently, it’s not enough to warn people about the dangers of lighting fireworks. Now they need to be warned to not try to make homemade fireworks. This was about a mile from my house last night: https://www.wave3.com/2020/07/01/elizabethtown-home-explosion-under-investigation/

• runningunnin.454
      10:40 am July 2, 2020 Permalink

I made gunpowder when I was an unruly kid; sulfur, charcoal, and potassium nitrate. However, I still have my eyes, fingers, and etc.

10:42 am July 2, 2020 Permalink

Whoa, that’s crazy.

10:44 am July 2, 2020 Permalink

Of all the things to die from in 2020, I’ll bet that didn’t even make anyone’s list.

4. ClutchCargo
    10:39 am July 2, 2020 Permalink

Why are the guys talking like Reed Sheppard like he’s a done deal to UK? Isn’t Jeff pretty anti-Cal?

• runningunnin.454
      10:46 am July 2, 2020 Permalink

I’ve heard that; but, didn’t both his parents play at UK?

10:49 am July 2, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, and his mom was on about the same level as his dad in her day.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:52 am July 2, 2020 Permalink

They did, but Sheppard was the most outspoken player saying he felt more welcome or comfortable (I forget which adjective) with Pitino at UL than he did with Cal at UK. It sounded like whining to me, but who knows?

10:55 am July 2, 2020 Permalink

Well, I hope any hard feelings get smoothed over. I would love to see a legacy recruit who has a chance to be an impact player.

5. Laker Cat 18
    10:51 am July 2, 2020 Permalink

Matt made it clear that he would vote for McGrath in the fall on his podcast, but he would not publicly endorse her. He blamed his Hey Kentucky! debacle on her campaign and not her specifically. I have really enjoyed his podcasts during quarantine by the way.

• TPACAT
      5:22 pm July 2, 2020 Permalink

Funny, he led everyone to believe it was McConnell’s doing at the time…

6. theSpectre_
    11:04 am July 2, 2020 Permalink

I listened to KSR from almost day one until this year. I came by to check out the comments and see if Matt was still pushing Democrat Party politics, just out of curiosity. It looks like that’s a big yes. I listen to Tony Vanetti, Dwight Witten, and Dave Jennings on 840 now. A much more entertaining show, IMO.

• Laker Cat 18
      11:11 am July 2, 2020 Permalink

This is a sports show. Unfortunately, there aren’t a lot of sports going on right now. We just had a massive election, so I get why there is a higher political talk going on. But do agree it’s a one-sided political view.

11:16 am July 2, 2020 Permalink

You should definitely listen to the other show if you like it better. Nothing wrong with that.

7. Realme
    11:13 am July 2, 2020 Permalink

I was distracted. How many of them made the shot?

11:17 am July 2, 2020 Permalink

I think they’re still shooting. The latest guy apparently stepped over the line. I say don’t count that one.

11:18 am July 2, 2020 Permalink

Okay so 1 1/2. That’s so KSR.

11:19 am July 2, 2020 Permalink

If I was participating in this, I would be mad if somebody broke the rules and then got to shoot again after having had a practice shot.

11:22 am July 2, 2020 Permalink

Somehow it ju s t went from “you stepped over the line by a lot” to “your foot was on the line”.

11:24 am July 2, 2020 Permalink

Maybe the guy has feet like Karl-Anthony Towns.

• Laker Cat 18
      11:36 am July 2, 2020 Permalink

If the guy stepped on the line, it’s not a three. No, it doesn’t count.

11:39 am July 2, 2020 Permalink

Video inconclusive.

8. Realme
    11:24 am July 2, 2020 Permalink

I was at the arboretum last week. Would have crapped my pants if a bear popped up, but also I really want to see it.

11:29 am July 2, 2020 Permalink

A buddy and I were hiking through some woods several years ago and came almost face to face with a mama wild hog, with babies in the area. Pants were nearly shat as we backed away s-l-o-w-l-y.

11:31 am July 2, 2020 Permalink

Good thing for your eyes, fingers, etc., that you didn’t get gored. Hee Haw.

11:32 am July 2, 2020 Permalink

It’s all fun and games until somebody loses an etc.

11:34 am July 2, 2020 Permalink

There are warnings at all the hiking places about watching out for black bears, but I would never have expected one in Lexington. Still can’t believe they knew about it for weeks and didn’t feel the need to warn people in the area.

• runningunnin.454
      11:38 am July 2, 2020 Permalink

He’s “smarter than the average bear”…he’s been to college.

11:45 am July 2, 2020 Permalink

And he’s apparently looking for female companionship on UK’s campus. Seems reasonable to me.

9. Realme
    11:27 am July 2, 2020 Permalink

Next animal to get stuck in the bar gonna be the KSBear. They just KSCursed themselves.

11:31 am July 2, 2020 Permalink

Just reinstall the jail cell, call it Paul Bryant, and charge admission!

10. Realme
    11:37 am July 2, 2020 Permalink

You could deprive me of sports for a decade and I still wouldn’t be desperate enough to want to watch a rap musical about a founding father.

11:43 am July 2, 2020 Permalink

I like music and movies/plays, but I’m not into musicals. I need a certain amount of realism in my entertainment, and people don’t sing or speak in rhymes to each other in real life. I really didn’t like the Dr. Seuss stuff as a kid, for the same reason. I reserve the right to still enjoy things like The Walking Dead, though. 🙂

11:45 am July 2, 2020 Permalink

Same but for some reason I make an exception for Phantom of the Opera.

11. ClutchCargo