KSR Show Thread, 7/17: Live from Pikeville!

Today on Kentucky Sports Radio radio, Matt Jones and Ryan Lemond are at Buffalo Wild Wings in Pikeville and I assume Matt will have a thing or two to say about yesterday’s news.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

Article written by Drew Franklin

58 Comments for KSR Show Thread, 7/17: Live from Pikeville!

1. RealCatsFan
    10:11 am July 17, 2019 Permalink

Looks like Matt might get his hand forced on his decision. Time to poop or get off the pot! 🙂

• runningunnin.454
      10:18 am July 17, 2019 Permalink

I don’t think he realizes the vitriol that will come his way if he does this. Politics is a savage game played by savage people, and that’s a shame; civility is a thing of the past.

• bouzoukiman
      10:19 am July 17, 2019 Permalink

Drew’s post about Matt having to quit blogging was pretty funny. When I saw the headline I thought “What??? Matt NEVER blogs any more!”. Then I saw that Drew was the author, so I knew he would have fun with it.

10:28 am July 17, 2019 Permalink

Yep, it has gotten to the point where “normal” people who would probably do a much more effective job in office have absolutely no desire to do it, simply because of the character assassination they would have to endure from their opponents.

I would LOVE to see someone take out the Turtle, but he has become so powerful (and rich, and arrogant) that I’m afraid we are just going to have to wait for him to croak. And turtles live for a long time.

• bouzoukiman
      10:31 am July 17, 2019 Permalink

The turtles live a long time made me chuckle.

• J-Dub421
      10:36 am July 17, 2019 Permalink

I keep praying for Mitch McConnell, but unfortunately he’s still alive.

• bouzoukiman
      10:36 am July 17, 2019 Permalink

RG, I won’t say things haven’t gotten worse, but politics was pretty savage in the old days too. Remember the congressman or senator that got pounded on the head with a cane right there on the floor?

• runningunnin.454
      10:37 am July 17, 2019 Permalink

Harriet the turtle died in 2006; she was said to be 175 years old.

10:40 am July 17, 2019 Permalink

Mitch McConnell supporters be like…

• Realme
      10:46 am July 17, 2019 Permalink

Haven’t heard what he’s said today, but I thought it was weird last night on Twitter he seemed to think it was dirty for his opponents to want him not to have the huge advantage of him freely criticizing them on Hey Ky. I didn’t think he was abusing it until last week. He was talking with some dude I’ve never seen before about McGrath, and I thought he sounded like an opponent, not an analyst. If I were her I’d have shut that down too.

• bouzoukiman
      10:57 am July 17, 2019 Permalink

Not that he dwelled on it, but MJ mentioned McConnell getting all kinds of out of state money. This kind of thing smells to me, but I never heard him complain about all the Hollywood money that Beto STILL has in his war chest, which is why he is running for POTUS.

• ClutchCargo
      11:00 am July 17, 2019 Permalink

I would be really bummed if I went to one of these remote broadcasts and all it was was Matt’s indecision about running, replays of his interviews with other media folks, etc.

11:08 am July 17, 2019 Permalink

IMO, all campaign contributions should be banned, and instead each candidate gets a set amount that they can use for campaigning. When they have exhausted that, too bad – that’s it.

• runningunnin.454
      11:18 am July 17, 2019 Permalink

That, and….term limits.

• ClutchCargo
      11:22 am July 17, 2019 Permalink

Those changes would depend on the people so entrenched in their political careers to give themselves less power. Not happening.

11:42 am July 17, 2019 Permalink

If the electorate really wanted to see things change, they would have to find a way to get someone in there who has the power and the motivation to make those changes. And like you said, that person probably does not exist. And the checks and balances unfortunately would probably keep him from doing it.

2. bouzoukiman
    10:13 am July 17, 2019 Permalink

So last night I’m scrolling through KSR and I see a couple of our local Montgomery guys in the 2nd pic in this link:

• bouzoukiman
      10:18 am July 17, 2019 Permalink

I’m using my alter ego since my CG one won’t let me post a link (in fact, the comment doesn’t post at all if I try to do that). In the 2nd photo, the guy sitting on the left of the table with the “1300” sign (that’s WTLS in nearby Tallassee, AL) is Graham Dunn, and he used to work where I work. He has his own website that covers local area college & high school sports.

Also, if you zoom in at the table that’s kind of back in the hallway, you can see the eyes and hair of Mr. John Longshore, star of this video from me:

3. RealCatsFan
    10:37 am July 17, 2019 Permalink

Oh crap, they are talking about fake moon landing conspiracies – here comes Iam! 🙂

• ClutchCargo
      10:48 am July 17, 2019 Permalink

I hate to draw more attention to this, but I could really do without any long-winded discussion of conspiracy theories today. Hopefully it just goes unnoticed.

4. bouzoukiman
    10:38 am July 17, 2019 Permalink

BTW, I do not drink as you all know, but I’m going to get a Mountain Dew and every time Mark Stoops is asked “How will you replace Benny Snell and Josh Allen?” I’m going to slug a mouthful.

10:41 am July 17, 2019 Permalink

My brother-in-law drinks Mountain Dew and bourbon.

• J-Dub421
      10:42 am July 17, 2019 Permalink

Lol, enjoy the caffeine buzz.

• J-Dub421
      10:42 am July 17, 2019 Permalink

Eww! That’s bourbon abuse.

• runningunnin.454
      10:42 am July 17, 2019 Permalink

That’s bourbon abuse.

• runningunnin.454
      10:43 am July 17, 2019 Permalink

Ha ha, great minds, J-D.

• bouzoukiman
      10:44 am July 17, 2019 Permalink

Actually the players will be asked that too, so I’ll buy the 32 ounce Polar Pop from Circle K. I can’t wait for Kash’s answer.

BTW, the local show with John Longshore & Barry McKnight (who is also Troy’s radio play by play guy) had Peter Burns on this morning since they’re all at Media Days, and Burns told them to get ready for Kash because he would be the star this week since he has no filter. YES!!!

• ClutchCargo
      10:45 am July 17, 2019 Permalink

Yes, mixing bourbon and soft drinks is nasty. And it really makes no sense when people use a good quality bourbon when doing this.

10:52 am July 17, 2019 Permalink

“Peter Burns”? Seriously? 😀 Sounds like we are going down the Dick Trickle path again. 😉

• bouzoukiman
      10:55 am July 17, 2019 Permalink

Oh man, I wasn’t even thinking about that today, but the first time I saw him I thought “Another unfortunate name”.

The old Letterman routine: “_____ Burns, ____ Short. ____ Short, _____ Burns”. Ewww.

• runningunnin.454
      11:00 am July 17, 2019 Permalink

I recommend penicillin.

• bouzoukiman
      11:02 am July 17, 2019 Permalink

That won’t help Mr. Short.

Thank you, I’ll be here all week. Enjoy the chicken.

11:29 am July 17, 2019 Permalink

Mr Short would have to get one of them “priapice shots”. :-O You want to give me a shot WHERE???

5. ClutchCargo
    10:51 am July 17, 2019 Permalink

The handful of times I have been to Pikeville, I remember that it was almost impossible to get good directions that include road names and/or numbers from the locals. That was back in the days when Google maps was available on smart phones.

11:04 am July 17, 2019 Permalink

Take the second left next to where the old silos used to be, then take a right by the feed lot with the black cow.

• ClutchCargo
      11:19 am July 17, 2019 Permalink

I especially loved the directions that involved “the four lane.” No road name or number given, even though it isn’t the only four lane road in town. The four lane road to the middle of nowhere is what it turned out to be back then.

• runningunnin.454
      11:30 am July 17, 2019 Permalink

I stopped asking directions, when some guy said, “You can’t get there from here”. Really!

6. runningunnin.454
    10:54 am July 17, 2019 Permalink

Did anybody see the video of McCartney’s concert couple days ago at Dodger Stadium? Any other musician that can put 57,000 people in a 56,000 capacity baseball stadium?
    BTW, Ringo joined him on stage for a couple of songs; when he walked on stage, Paul kissed his head, and said, “I love you, man”…..awwwww, touching.

• bouzoukiman
      11:01 am July 17, 2019 Permalink

I did see that. Awesome, and totally awesome for those who actually got to see it live. Can you imagine?

11:05 am July 17, 2019 Permalink

Did Ringo call him “Billy”?

• runningunnin.454
      11:07 am July 17, 2019 Permalink

Imagine, that’s John Lennon. I remember watching Monday Night Football, I think, the Dolphins and the Patriots, when Howard Cosell broke the news to the nation that Lennon had been shot…I sat there for an hour after the game ended trying to imagine what kind of world we were living in.

• 4everUKblue
      12:20 pm July 17, 2019 Permalink

Sorry I missed this RCF, I would love to go toe to toe with you on this, but it would be a waste of time since you don’t have the ability to be objective.

7. RealCatsFan
    11:10 am July 17, 2019 Permalink

So I was talking to Mrs RCF on our evening stroll yesterday evening, and she said she was this close to sending Matt a couple of pointed tweets because of the “unfair” way she thought he portrayed Forecastle. Remember, that is her Superbowl. She thought he portrayed it in a negative light, and if he didn’t like all the teeny boppers he should have been hanging out with the adults instead of leering at them in the Party Cove. 🙂

• runningunnin.454
      11:17 am July 17, 2019 Permalink

He portrays a lot of things and people in a negative light, and that doesn’t help a political campaign.

11:22 am July 17, 2019 Permalink

I don’t know, didn’t seem to affect the current POTUS at all. 😉

8. J-Dub421
    11:21 am July 17, 2019 Permalink

Someone needs to stake Coach K already.

9. RealCatsFan
    11:21 am July 17, 2019 Permalink

The guys keep forgetting that Count K is a vampire, and is therefore immortal. He will not retire until someone drives a wooden stake into his cold, unfeeling heart.

10. RealCatsFan
    11:24 am July 17, 2019 Permalink

Biggest problem I have with “Hey Kentucky” is that the damned commercials play at 120 decibels! I have to turn the TV down about 35 notches to make it tolerable. I usually watch Forensic Files before HK, and it is still bad there, but not as bad as with Matt’s show. I thought the FCC was supposed to be passing laws to prevent that.

• J-Dub421
      11:26 am July 17, 2019 Permalink

They get around that by compressing the files at different rates, so they technically aren’t adjusting the volume but the commercials are still screaming at you anyway.

11:39 am July 17, 2019 Permalink

J-Dub, I understand what you are saying – that the midrange frequencies are more easily picked up by the human ear. But I guarantee if I sat a decibel meter in front of the TV, it would show a much higher reading for the commercials. It’s just ridiculous.

• J-Dub421
      11:50 am July 17, 2019 Permalink

Oh, I agree completely and it drives me up the wall as well. That’s just the sneaky way they get around that regulation.

11. runningunnin.454
    11:26 am July 17, 2019 Permalink

That SEC official account has already been assaulted, ha ha, they will regret that decision.

11:30 am July 17, 2019 Permalink

I loved the one that said something to the effect of “Alabama called, wanted to make sure the check cleared.”

• ClutchCargo
      11:33 am July 17, 2019 Permalink

And the one where the official is picking up the ball near the Alabama sideline and coaches are throw money all over the ground near him. Pure comedic gold!

12. RealCatsFan
    11:45 am July 17, 2019 Permalink

Yay – A Fake Barney appearance, complete with a Mitch song.

11:45 am July 17, 2019 Permalink

His all time best was probably the song about Crown Royal though. 🙂

• J-Dub421
      11:51 am July 17, 2019 Permalink

Fake Barney is pretty funny.

13. runningunnin.454
    11:55 am July 17, 2019 Permalink

I don’t know about Oregon; but, they have to do something about LSU and Kansas…they are cheating with impunity.